• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

Neiteio

Character design and style look great, colourful and fun. Gameplay looks meh and controls pretty abysmal, though.
The gameplay and controls look great. Seems to be getting good word of mouth from the people who played it. Throwing people into the air or curving punches at the last sec to catch a dodgy opponent looks hella satisfying. The animation is excellent.

I really really really really really really want to play this.

Servbot24

Banned
The gameplay and controls look great. Seems to be getting good word of mouth from the people who played it. Throwing people into the air or curving punches at the last sec to catch a dodgy opponent looks hella satisfying. The animation is excellent.

I really really really really really really want to play this.

I'm very curious about the controls. The game could be quite deep depending on how precise they are. Definitely a lot to prove with motion controls, but it could be really cool if they do it.

how many playable characters would you like to see being in the full game? I hope at least another 5, around 10 in total. Even more would be great of course.

zroid

Banned
This game looks pretty good tbh

I will be terrible at it as I am at all fighting games, but will enjoy watching people who are good. Even JC in the Treehouse Live segment made it look pretty impressive.

The WSJ repprter said this game is really, really fun. I enjoy the Treehouse Live footage, and it gives me a similar impression given by Splatoon: fun, colorful, great for playing in short sessions, yet having a deep system and requiring strategy in high level play. This, coupled with Splatoon, will probably be the esport focus of Nintendo in the future.

Co-worker who just got back from the London presentation had nothing but high praise for it and the motion controls. Said it was super intuitive. Need now pls.

I'd think a roster of about 12-14 characters would be a freaking great start. Single player mode have maybe about 12 unique arenas with their own twists on the gameplay, a nice single player mode ala splatoon, training mode, online modes and lobbies and local multiplayer customization would make for a fine package at launch I feel, if they could reach that.

Lukemon

I'm very curious about the controls. The game could be quite deep depending on how precise they are. Definitely a lot to prove with motion controls, but it could be really cool if they do it.

I need to play more, but that's the impression I got too - that a good motion control player might even have an advantage over a controller player (wasn't playable that way today, sadly).

There's A LOT of extra depth - as well as curving punches, parries and clashes (punches that meet both drop where they land, meaning a last minute jab intercept lets you recover first - punches also stuff throw attempts), you can hold the jump or dodge buttons (R and L respectively) to charge that hand for special punches, and it also seemed to affect other skills too. I jumped and held it with the ninja guy then dashed in mid-air and it turned into a 'substitution' teleport rather than a regular dash, so lord knows how deep that kinda stuff runs. All looks to be character-specific, too.

PSqueak

Banned
I'd think a roster of about 12-14 characters would be a freaking great start. Single player mode have maybe about 12 unique arenas with their own twists on the gameplay, a nice single player mode ala splatoon, training mode, online modes and lobbies and local multiplayer customization would make for a fine package at launch I feel, if they could reach that.

Arenas do seem to be themed around the characters, the one with the Trampoline is Master Mummy's and in some Ninjara screenshots there are ninja statues in the BG.

So if the roster does end up having 12 characters, its not impossible for there to be 12 stages.

I definitely expect more characters than the 5 they showed.

Mory Dunz

The stages actually do have all kinds of environmental stuff to mess with like trampolines, bizarre liquid pillars and the like. I read about it in some of the promotional material or something but I fail to remember where :3

Yeah, but so far nothing seemed too out of left field, like Yellow devil showing up in the middle of a fight or Ridley.

I think there will be wacky stages and even possibly modes, but the official presentation of the game didn't try to sell it as a wacky party game when they could've. Just as a fighter.

Just his mechanics, thanks! That sounds like main material to me~

sounds scary to me. Healing and super armor make me think there are serious deficiencies lol...

There's A LOT of extra depth - as well as curving punches, parries and clashes (punches that meet both drop where they land, meaning a last minute jab intercept lets you recover first - punches also stuff throw attempts), you can hold the jump or dodge buttons (R and L respectively) to charge that hand for special punches, and it also seemed to affect other skills too. I jumped and held it with the ninja guy then dashed in mid-air and it turned into a 'substitution' teleport rather than a regular dash, so lord knows how deep that kinda stuff runs. All looks to be character-specific, too.

excellent

HyperHip

I need to play more, but that's the impression I got too - that a good motion control player might even have an advantage over a controller player (wasn't playable that way today, sadly).

Man I need this game baaad.

Character design and style look great, colourful and fun. Gameplay looks meh and controls pretty abysmal, though.

You abysmal!

No... that's not true... I've always thought you're cool Haunted.

I disagree though! Vehemently!

I found a lot of depth in Wii Boxing, and this has a decade of improvements in tech and design behind it. This could be very awesome.

For me at least. I was really good at Wii Boxing, and that was with those incredibly inaccurate motion sensors and crappy rumble. Everybody thought you could just go nuts and win. You can if the person you're playing against doesn't understand the limitations.

But I digress...

I'm going to love it methinks. An entire involved game designed around a play style I think was criminally overlooked is a beautiful thing. Whenever I have Switch, I have ARMS.

The WSJ repprter said this game is really, really fun. I enjoy the Treehouse Live footage, and it gives me a similar impression given by Splatoon: fun, colorful, great for playing in short sessions, yet having a deep system and requiring strategy in high level play. This, coupled with Splatoon, will probably be the esport focus of Nintendo in the future.
This is it boys

That...

*wipes away tear*

Neiteio

This sounds awesome. When you say the ninja has a substitution teleport for his mid-air dash, do you mean he leaves a decoy of himself lingering in the air?

edit: Oh hey, Thunder Monkey! Long time no see, bud!

This sounds awesome. When you say the ninja has a substitution teleport for his mid-air dash, do you mean he leaves a decoy of himself lingering in the air?

edit: Oh hey, Thunder Monkey! Long time no see, bud!

I've mainly been surfacing in Switch tech threads and politics.

And hello to you too!

Neiteio

Is it only five characters or do we think that's all they're showing now?
It's probably too early to know. I like the five characters they've shown, so I could deal if they're the only ones, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they unveil more closer to release in spring.

I already want Ribbon Girl in Smash, lol.
Sorry, no penis, so even if she proves the more popular of the two she'll at most be an alt for spring man and be brutally pushed aside in smash marketing to the point where you only know she's in because they add a "oh and you can play as ribbon girl" in the trailer :p
I'm not bitter at all

That and the overwatch comparisons bode well for this game's chances.
Only kind of joking.

tumblr_ojpwxdFWoG1r5tic9o1_1280.png

;D

Yeah, but so far nothing seemed too out of left field, like Yellow devil showing up in the middle of a fight or Ridley.

I think there will be wacky stages and even possibly modes, but the official presentation of the game didn't try to sell it as a wacky party game when they could've. Just as a fighter.

sounds scary to me. Healing and super armor make me think there are serious deficiencies lol...
Oh, yeah, there's nothing that ruins the game in the arenas yet that we know of :p

As for master mummy he's not as mobile as the others and is a big target and as someone else pointed out his attacks are sluggish (though he has access to a high priority weapon that punches straight through a lot of weaker weapons like the trident without stopping)

That sounds really, really cool.

Yesssss. Ride them coattails, Arms!

Lukemon

Nah, just a smoke cloud and an instant teleport rather than the usual air dash. I was trying to work shit out while the other guy was basically flailing around, so it wasn't exactly the best test environment. Looking forward to putting more time in, for sure. I really didn't feel the reveal footage, but I've completely 180'd on it after playing. Easily my favourite thing I played behind Zelda. A friend described it as Punch-Out!! meets Virtual On which, given how the movement works and feels, is as good a general overview as I've heard.

M3d10n

The motion controls look very precise and low latency in the Treehouse videos. Heck, the way the characters move is so fast and fluid you wouldn't even tell it was a motion controlled game if only saw in-game footage.

Nice to see Nintendo take inspiration from SEGA. :)
Splatoon looks, sounds and feels a lot like a good SEGA game already.

Neiteio

Nah, just a smoke cloud and an instant teleport rather than the usual air dash. I was trying to work shit out while the other guy was basically flailing around, so it wasn't exactly the best test environment. Looking forward to putting more time in, for sure. I really didn't feel the reveal footage, but I've completely 180'd on it after playing. Easily my favourite thing I played behind Zelda. A friend described is as Punch-Out!! meets Virtual On which, given how the movement works and feels, is as good a general overview as I've heard.
"Punch-Out!! meets Virtual On" is the combination I never knew I wanted

Man, I wish this was a launch title.

I'm going to take a hot, wild guess that the reason peeps compare it to Virtual-On is because you have to tilt both joycons in the same direction to move? :p

The motion controls look very precise and low latency in the Treehouse videos. Heck, the way the characters move is so fast and fluid you wouldn't even tell it was a motion controlled game if only saw in-game footage.

Splatoon looks, sounds and feels a lot like a good SEGA game already.

Seriously have some of you not used motion controls since the original wiimote? Reading posts like this feel like I'm in 2007 again.

Mdk7

I keep thinking about this game, it's seriously the one and only that fully convinced me (yes, I am including Mario Odyssey as well, those humans and the realistic render kinda ruined all the awesomeness of the rest) and it's so much fun to play.
Should have really, really been a launch game.

Neiteio

I'm going to take a hot, wild guess that the reason compare it to Virtual-On is because you have to tilt both joycons in the same direction to move? :p
On a less tangible level, it seems to have a similar rhythm to the flow of battle. Dat circle-strafe, too.

I keep thinking about this game, it's seriously the one and only that fully convinced me (yes, I am including Mario Odyssey as well, those humans and the realistic render kinda ruined all the awesomeness of the rest) and it's so much fun to play.
Should have really, really been a launch game.

The good news is that it's in the close to Launch window and that anyone going through Zelda is easily going to reach that point. In other words, Zelda is buying them a ton of time that they wouldn't otherwise have with a normal launch window.

Lukemon

I'm going to take a hot, wild guess that the reason compare it to Virtual-On is because you have to tilt both joycons in the same direction to move? :p

Haha well yeah, there's that, but it also has a similar 'feel' - hard to explain, but I think it's a pretty fair comparison, if only because we don't really have anything closer to cite.

On a less tangible level, it seems to have a similar rhythm to the flow of battle. Dat circle-strafe, too.

Yeah, this.

Neiteio

Do we know anything about the lore of this game? Are these people with their robo-arms supposed to be robots? I see in the lab level there are other ARMS fighters growing in test tubes, so maybe they're all the result of experimentation?

psyfi

Banned

sweeeeeeet

I've been really confused by all the people writing it off as being a lazy Wii Boxing clone. It was clear even from the trailer that it has some significant technique and depth. I'm really excited to see what comes of this franchise. Imagine if it became an esports hit, haha.

Neiteio

sweeeeeeet

I've been really confused by all the people writing it off as being a lazy Wii Boxing clone. It was clear even from the trailer that it has some significant technique and depth. I'm really excited to see what comes of this franchise. Imagine if it became an esports hit, haha.
It would be nice to see a replacement for boxing that doesn't incur brain damage

Regiruler

I wonder if the concept is expandable beyond 1v1.

It could work with a pivot switch. For reference, look at how the Clash of Ninja series did 2v2 or 4 free-for-all.

So it's apparent they're only creating characters with things that could feasibly change in length as basis for the arm. Based on this, what sort of characters do you think they will add?
-Shadow/Energy: at first I thought of something like the unseen hand from re:zero, but then I thought they may do something less dark. This could work for a villain character.
-No Arm: Andross/Bongo Bongo style, the hands float and don't have anything actually connecting them to the body. Would most likely be either very slow or insanely fast.
Electricity: No explicit examples come to my head but I know everyone has seen something like this once before. Given how there's a somewhat mechanical focus in the artstyle this would work well visually.
-Ultra Hand: Extendable arms in reference to the Ultra Hand toy. Would be a great pick for a secret character if it had a retro aesthetic to go with it.

Kikorin

I was a big fan of the Boxe in Wii Sports, so I'm kinda excited about this. I hope contents will be worth the price.

Top Bottom