• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

clemenx

Banned
I'm probably almost alone about this in this forum but I'm fucking hyped that Nintendo stealthily included a true successor to the Wii Motion + outta fucking nowhere.

Mdk7

I'm probably almost alone about this in this forum but I'm fucking hyped that Nintendo stealthily included a true successor to the Wii Motion + outta fucking nowhere.
Motion control wise, it's not clearly that better than Wii Motion Plus.
If it is, the difference is really not that big, or at least I wasn't able to get that today at the London event (I'm referring to all the games in general, not to just ARMS).

Sorry, no penis, so even if she proves the more popular of the two she'll at most be an alt for spring man and be brutally pushed aside in smash marketing to the point where you only know she's in because they add a "oh and you can play as ribbon girl" in the trailer :p
I'm not bitter at all

tumblr_ojpwxdFWoG1r5tic9o1_1280.png

;D

Oh, yeah, there's nothing that ruins the game in the arenas yet that we know of :p

As for master mummy he's not as mobile as the others and is a big target and as someone else pointed out his attacks are sluggish (though he has access to a high priority weapon that punches straight through a lot of weaker weapons like the trident without stopping)

I knew somebody was going to make a dva arms crossover as soon as I saw the robo girl lol

PSqueak

Banned
It could work with a pivot switch. For reference, look at how the Clash of Ninja series did 2v2 or 4 free-for-all.

So it's apparent they're only creating characters with things that could feasibly change in length as basis for the arm. Based on this, what sort of characters do you think they will add?
-Shadow/Energy: at first I thought of something like the unseen hand from re:zero, but then I thought they may do something less dark. This could work for a villain character.
-No Arm: Andross/Bongo Bongo style, the hands float and don't have anything actually connecting them to the body. Would most likely be either very slow or insanely fast.
Electricity: No explicit examples come to my head but I know everyone has seen something like this once before. Given how there's a somewhat mechanical focus in the artstyle this would work well visually.
-Ultra Hand: Extendable arms in reference to the Ultra Hand toy. Would be a great pick for a secret character if it had a retro aesthetic to go with it.

Marvel/DC/Shonen jump tie in DLC with Mr.Fantastic/Plasticman/Luffy as playable characters.

Lukemon

If it is, the difference is really not that big, or at least I wasn't able to get that today at the London event (I'm referring to all the games in general, not to just ARMS).

Hard to tell from such short exposure so far, I agree, but I was impressed. Not relying on an external sensor is a huge improvement, though.

It could work with a pivot switch. For reference, look at how the Clash of Ninja series did 2v2 or 4 free-for-all.

So it's apparent they're only creating characters with things that could feasibly change in length as basis for the arm. Based on this, what sort of characters do you think they will add?
-Shadow/Energy: at first I thought of something like the unseen hand from re:zero, but then I thought they may do something less dark. This could work for a villain character.
-No Arm: Andross/Bongo Bongo style, the hands float and don't have anything actually connecting them to the body. Would most likely be either very slow or insanely fast.
Electricity: No explicit examples come to my head but I know everyone has seen something like this once before. Given how there's a somewhat mechanical focus in the artstyle this would work well visually.
-Ultra Hand: Extendable arms in reference to the Ultra Hand toy. Would be a great pick for a secret character if it had a retro aesthetic to go with it.

Gorgon with Snakes for arms

Hacker with USB cable arms

Cat man/woman with yarn arms

A joke character without extending arms but who does
stupid amounts of damage should they hit. Little Mac?

Pirate with rope arms

The Wii boxing comparisons are so damn annoying. That ugly cheap crap has nothing on this.

This is Splatoon all over again.

I'm not really making a comparison. I'm saying I like the input mechanics because they remind me of a game I enjoyed. Now the style, tone, and depth look infinitely more developed.

I could buy the system for Zelda and ARMS exclusively and probably feel justified.

While the actual sensors may be similar, just the fact that we have two gyro-enabled motion controls, each with analog sticks and a full kit of buttons and triggers, makes it a next-gen Wiimote and nunchuk in my eyes. Back during my Wii COD days, I dreamt of having just a right analog stick on my wiimote for turning, and now we get that and more!
But perhaps without the COD to play it on T.T

Steiner

Banned
I loved this game. Played it tonight at the preview event and then came back around for another go. Left the event tonight dying to play again. Honestly I wish I wouldn't have waited in line for Breath of the Wild so that I could have played more ARMS. BotW was the exact same portion of the game we've been seeing for a while now. Here's a little snippet from a preview that's about to go live for my website:

"The demo build of ARMS had five playable characters, each with his or her own unique characteristics. There's a giant mummy, for example, who heals himself slowly over time while holding the guard position. He's also huge and built like a tank, so he can take quite a beating. Contrast this with a fast and stealthy ninja character, who can disappear and reappear at a moment's notice with special dodges.

Every character has that one ability or one perk that makes them different from the rest, and that ability or perk will heavily influence the way that you formulate your offense or defense. Additionally, every character has three unique types of fists (or gloves) that they can equip on each hand, and each fist has its own properties. One is a straight-up heavy-hitting boxing glove; another one is a revolving turret of sorts that will send out four smaller projectiles in succession; one is a giant wrecking ball that will smash through your enemies smaller attacks on its way to pummel them in the teeth.

Free and fast movement, unique character abilities, multiple fist combinations, parries, grabs, and directional attacks... Do you see now? This isn't just a novelty. ARMS is an intense, high-impact chess match, and it's sure to challenge and delight anyone who loves a complex brawler.

Be that as it may, this is definitely a game that any young kid (or older non-gamer) could jump into and enjoy. I stated that skilled players won't be able to out-flail other skilled players, but if a match between casual players or beginners results in endless flailing and exaggerated leaning, it's still a damn good time. I saw plenty of that while at the preview event, and everyone always had a smile on their faces. The ARMS area was full of concentrated, furrowed brows and resounding laughter, and that's why I'm confident that we're dealing with a big hit when it releases this spring. Keep your eyes on this one, folks, and play it as soon as you get the chance."

Edit: Just noticed I'm a member now. Yay!

I loved this game. Played it tonight at the preview event and then came back around for another go. Left the event tonight dying to play again. Honestly I wish I wouldn't have waited in line for Breath of the Wild so that I could have played more ARMS. BotW was the exact same portion of the game we've been seeing for a while now. Here's a little snippet from a preview that's about to go live for my website:

"The demo build of ARMS had five playable characters, each with his or her own unique characteristics. There's a giant mummy, for example, who heals himself slowly over time while holding the guard position. He's also huge and built like a tank, so he can take quite a beating. Contrast this with a fast and stealthy ninja character, who can disappear and reappear at a moment's notice with special dodges.

Every character has that one ability or one perk that makes them different from the rest, and that ability or perk will heavily influence the way that you formulate your offense or defense. Additionally, every character has three unique types of fists (or gloves) that they can equip on each hand, and each fist has its own properties. One is a straight-up heavy-hitting boxing glove; another one is a revolving turret of sorts that will send out four smaller projectiles in succession; one is a giant wrecking ball that will smash through your enemies smaller attacks on its way to pummel them in the teeth.

Free and fast movement, unique character abilities, multiple fist combinations, parries, grabs, and directional attacks... Do you see now? This isn't just a novelty. ARMS is an intense, high-impact chess match, and it's sure to challenge and delight anyone who loves a complex brawler.

Be that as it may, this is definitely a game that any young kid (or older non-gamer) could jump into and enjoy. I stated that skilled players won't be able to out-flail other skilled players, but if a match between casual players or beginners results in endless flailing and exaggerated leaning, it's still a damn good time. I saw plenty of that while at the preview event, and everyone always had a smile on their faces. The ARMS area was full of concentrated, furrowed brows and resounding laughter, and that's why I'm confident that we're dealing with a big hit when it releases this spring. Keep your eyes on this one, folks, and play it as soon as you get the chance."

Heh, I'm jealous of the peeps who got some hands on. Congrats on your membership :3

Mory Dunz

all i need is an arcade or stody mode with some kind of progression. I noticed each attack shows numbers of damage, so increasing stats in story mode towards an end would be cool.

Jims

Thanks for the impression! Did the gyro movement feel quick and responsive? There wasn't that many punches that didn't launch or accidentally launch when you didn't mean to? I really enjoyed Wii Boxing (had never tried real life boxing before) but it was pretty awkward sometimes getting the exact punch you wanted at the exact time.

This game looked goofy as hell in the first reveal, but the demo impressions have been really glowing so far. Really looking forward to this now.

Penguin

Also my game of the show

First thing I played and went back 2 or 3 times.

It's one of those games where folks will flail at first and heck even have fun with it, but as people understand the systems better will really be something special.

Like I came back in my final fight with a combination of special moves, grabs and a lot of dodging. And it was so tense but so damn pleasing to land the final hit.

My favorite char so far is the Ninja. Don't much care for the woman in the robot suit.

18-Volt

This is a proper fighting game. It has simple punches/attacks, it has combos, it has throws, it has jumps, it has different colorful characters and stages it even has equipment and online play!

Nintendo really need to push this for EVO 2017.

Steiner

Banned
Thanks for the impression! Did the gyro movement feel quick and responsive? There wasn't that many punches that didn't launch or accidentally launch when you didn't mean to? I really enjoyed Wii Boxing (had never tried real life boxing before) but it was pretty awkward sometimes getting the exact punch you wanted at the exact time.

This game looked goofy as hell in the first reveal, but the demo impressions have been really glowing so far. Really looking forward to this now.

I did in fact throw out a few unintentional punches, especially my first time playing. That was due to over-correction, though. I'd clumsily jerk the JoyCons a certain direction reacting to something and the game would register sudden movement forward as a punch.

It takes a few rounds to get used to tilting the sticks around like thrusters or joysticks to move the character. Because you press down with your left thumb to dash, and your right thumb to jump, I kept *only* moving the left JoyCon when trying to dash (or right when trying to jump a certain direction) instead of both at the same time. I'd always realize immediately afterward that I need to be moving both, and in my haste to catch one hand up with the other I'd throw out a punch.

Once you get the hang of tilting both controllers around vertically and in unison, the controls feel very, very natural. I only got to play two full sets, but by the second one I was air-dashing, juking, and setting up my opponent with curved and straight punches.

The first set I played through I felt like a dumb baby. The second set I played through I destroyed the guy I was playing while pulling off flashy looking moves and defending intelligently (it was his first time playing). So the learning curve is there, but you speed through it and it's really gratifying. The more in-control you feel, the more the game opens up and you quickly realize that once more characters are added to the roster and people experiment with glove combinations... This is going to get pretty competitive and crazy online.

Can't wait to see what happens with ARMS in the competitive community, and how Nintendo strives to keep it fresh.

Speaking of fresh, it so so wonderful to me that everyone is comparing this to Splatoon, because that's EXACTLY what I said! It has that same vibe. New IP; colorful; creative; obviously a lot of heart and soul poured into it; feels like passion project. I also went through the exact same progression of responses with ARMS as I did with Splatoon.
"Wow, are you for real with this shit Nintendo?"
"Okay, this will be a neat little novelty."
"Hey that was pretty fun."
"Woah, this is actually pretty deep..."
"Need this in my veins."

I was skeptical when I saw the reveal trailer, but the Treehouse demonstration sold me on it big time. This looks like, dare I say, the freshest take on the fighting genre I've seen since the Dreamcast era. The fundamental concepts that make a good fighting game seem to all be present (zoning, spacing, conditioning, baiting, reads, etc), but it's not relying on tropes of existing fighters beyond that, and there doesn't seem to be anything that feels like bloat or overly gimmicky. The ability to switch arms between rounds adds interesting layers to mind games, too.

I just hope the characters feel distinct enough from one another, and the game offers enough content to avoid a SFV launch situation, but what I saw looks very promising.

Finally a game that speaks to by Capable Amputee fixation!

But really...is that not creeping anyone else out

Removing or modifying your body for sport

It's like the Star Fox legs all over again

Jintor

Squids are kids and nobody has limbs. That's Nintendo for you

Jims

The first set I played through I felt like a dumb baby. The second set I played through I destroyed the guy I was playing while pulling off flashy looking moves and defending intelligently (it was his first time playing). So the learning curve is there, but you speed through it and it's really gratifying. The more in-control you feel, the more the game opens up and you quickly realize that once more characters are added to the roster and people experiment with glove combinations... This is going to get pretty competitive and crazy online.

Wow, this sounds great. You mentioned the Splatoon thing, but that kinda sounds like how the gyro just kinda clicks for people after a session or two. I remember feeling that way during the Testfire. It kinds sounds like you're almost controlling a mech sorta, moving each hand forward and backward and pressing the trigger buttons. Seems like a control scheme you can easily lose yourself in and just think only about movement.

With these kinds of impressions, Nintendo's gotta find a way to get this demo out to more venues.

I did in fact throw out a few unintentional punches, especially my first time playing. That was due to over-correction, though. I'd clumsily jerk the JoyCons a certain direction reacting to something and the game would register sudden movement forward as a punch.

It takes a few rounds to get used to tilting the sticks around like thrusters or joysticks to move the character. Because you press down with your left thumb to dash, and your right thumb to jump, I kept *only* moving the left JoyCon when trying to dash (or right when trying to jump a certain direction) instead of both at the same time. I'd always realize immediately afterward that I need to be moving both, and in my haste to catch one hand up with the other I'd throw out a punch.

Once you get the hang of tilting both controllers around vertically and in unison, the controls feel very, very natural. I only got to play two full sets, but by the second one I was air-dashing, juking, and setting up my opponent with curved and straight punches.

Can't wait to see what happens with ARMS in the competitive community, and how Nintendo strives to keep it fresh.

Speaking of fresh, it so so wonderful to me that everyone is comparing this to Splatoon, because that's EXACTLY what I said! It has that same vibe. New IP; colorful; creative; obviously a lot of heart and soul poured into it; feels like passion project. I also went through the exact same progression of responses with ARMS as I did with Splatoon.
"Wow, are you for real with this shit Nintendo?"
"Okay, this will be a neat little novelty."
"Hey that was pretty fun."
"Woah, this is actually pretty deep..."
"Need this in my veins."

Sounds great to hear.

Steiner

Banned
Wow, this sounds great. You mentioned the Splatoon thing, but that kinda sounds like how the gyro just kinda clicks for people after a session or two. I remember feeling that way during the Testfire. It kinds sounds like you're almost controlling a mech sorta, moving each hand forward and backward and pressing the trigger buttons. Seems like a control scheme you can easily lose yourself in and just think only about movement.

With these kinds of impressions, Nintendo's gotta find a way to get this demo out to more venues.

ARMS makes for a perfect demo. New IP. Uses the JoyCons really effectively. Immediately understandable while imminently complex.

ARMS makes for a perfect demo. New IP. Uses the JoyCons really effectively. Immediately understandable while imminently complex.
Quick question actually: Is it true that it uses the new haptic feedback so you can feel the sort of arm stretch when you punch? :eek:

Caelus

That character design is gorgeous. It feels very... Nintendo, in a good way. This should've been the killer app at launch.

Peléo

Pretty different: for example Ribbon Girl and the green ninja character (forgot his name) while being both quick and agile are absolutely not the same thing to play as.

Yeah, I could see this becoming absolutely fun between players who know their shit. I got quite decent at playing this today, and my last game was against one of the demoist who clearly knew the game well. It was a super tense fight until the very last punch (I won, yay for my Ribbon Girl)

Hmm, it's a different game, the rhythm here is different and you have many more options while attacking. That said, motion controls were good and responsive, but nothing close to something as mindblowing as the HTC Vive motion controls. The tech inside the Joy-Cons feels very very close to the one inside the MotionPlus, I'd say.

Yes, it's just natural. You move around and attack, it's all really smooth and immediate, very easy to pick up and play. Absolutely NO waggle whatsoever, if you shake your Joy-Cons around like a possessed individual you're not going anywhere.

Honestly, I should try it and decide. But based on what I played, I didn't miss the traditional controls (but I've never been a motion control hater).

Thanks a lot for your reply.

1) Happy to hear that. Wonder what will be inspiration for the next revelead characters.

2) This was my biggest concern about the game, extremely glad this is the case. Maybe it will even develop into an esport.

3) I see.

4) Great to hear the controls feel absolutely natural. At first I wondered why they didn't simply use the Stick for movement, but I guess it mashes well with the Motion based controls.

5) I feel your reply is similar to many who played Splatoon before, back when it was initially revealed: even if they would normally prefer traditional controllers, the Gyroscope is natural.

Again, thanks for your impressions.

Steiner

Banned
Quick question actually: Is it true that it uses the new haptic feedback so you can feel the sort of arm stretch when you punch? :eek:

Great question, actually. Going into the event I was really determined to examine and experiment with the JoyCons - if for no other reason than their $80 price tag. The advance haptics or Rumble HD or whatever the hell they're calling it was one of my main priorities.

I kind of forgot to think about it while playing the game because I got so sucked in to what I was doing. I do remember noticing it a few times, though. I didn't use ribbon girl so I can't speak to the "unraveling" feeling that the dude described in the Treehouse Live stream. I did use Master Mummy and noticed some good, satisfying pops when shooting out the revolver (rotating turret style arm). I did notice some "rolling" feedback as well for many of the basic attacks, if that makes sense at all.

It wasn't like, "Holy shit this is amazing" or anything like that, but it was nice. Subtle and nice. Definitely added to the experience. I didn't get a chance to try 1-2 Switch and I know that a lot of haptic tricks are used for those mini games, so I regret missing that opportunity. The line was too damn long, and I already wasted a lot of time waiting to play BotW.

I digress. The advanced haptics were neat, but they weren't noticeable enough to deliver a holy shit moment. Don't let that disappoint you, though. I mean to say that I enjoyed it, but I put maybe too much hope and imagination into what it might feel like. These are small controllers. There's only so much that the little motors in there can do.

Golnei

Better be little Mac

It'd be fitting, given the usage of another Nintendo cameo as a bonus opponent in Punch-Out Wii. Also, as unlikely as it is given the obscurity of the game, I'd love to see a Wonder-Red cameo - he'd just cross his arms over his chest and fight with two Unite Springs.

Though if they absolutely needed a hypothetical cameo from Little Mac to have the spring arms; there'd be a way to make it not too visually jarring - just use the wireframe instead.

1103508-punch_out_arcade.gif

They could just be cyborgs to begin with. It could be that most sports require specialised limbs in-universe; to retain the interest of a mostly-augmented populace.

psyfi

Banned

THANK YOU for this write up! As someone who loves competitive multiplayer, this sounds amazing. I said it in another thread, but I really see this being a surprise hit along the lines of Rocket League.

Holy shit this game sounds amazing.

Great question, actually. Going into the event I was really determined to examine and experiment with the JoyCons - if for no other reason than their $80 price tag. The advance haptics or Rumble HD or whatever the hell they're calling it was one of my main priorities.

I kind of forgot to think about it while playing the game because I got so sucked in to what I was doing. I do remember noticing it a few times, though. I didn't use ribbon girl so I can't speak to the "unraveling" feeling that the dude described in the Treehouse Live stream. I did use Master Mummy and noticed some good, satisfying pops when shooting out the revolver (rotating turret style arm). I did notice some "rolling" feedback as well for many of the basic attacks, if that makes sense at all.

It wasn't like, "Holy shit this is amazing" or anything like that, but it was nice. Subtle and nice. Definitely added to the experience. I didn't get a chance to try 1-2 Switch and I know that a lot of haptic tricks are used for those mini games, so I regret missing that opportunity. The line was too damn long, and I already wasted a lot of time waiting to play BotW.

I digress. The advanced haptics were neat, but they weren't noticeable enough to deliver a holy shit moment. Don't let that disappoint you, though. I mean to say that I enjoyed it, but I put maybe too much hope and imagination into what it might feel like. These are small controllers. There's only so much that the little motors in there can do.
Thankies for the details, if nothing else the fact you were too absorbed in the gameplay to get distracted by the haptics is no bad thing :3

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Def on my wish list.

Seems very Virtual On-ish and that's a good thing.

That comparison takes me from mildly interested to trying to find space in my budget. Didn't even occur to me.

Top Bottom