• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

AgeEighty

I thought it was funny that they showed 1-2-Switch and then introduced this game by saying, "and now for something with depth, challenge and replayability" ...as in, unlike 1-2-Switch.

Arms actually didn't look that deep in the video, but I'm hoping there's more meat to it than they shared.

For some reason I read the thread title as ASMR announced for switch.

After all the focus on ice cubes in glasses somehow that made sense to me.

KaneU

ARMS, as the name sounds really generic, so unlike for a new Nintendo IP.
The game looks interesting enough, but kinda low budget. I hope this is not a fresh new crazy IP, Emily Rogers was talking about...

ARMS, as the name sounds really generic, so unlike for a new Nintendo IP.
The game looks interesting enough, but kinda low budget. I hope this is not a fresh new crazy IP, Emily Rogers was talking about...

Based on what? Does Splatoon look low budget too? Because it looks to have the same production values

I'm so glad that we're finally seeing iterations on concepts that showed promise on the Wii but were cut short by market trends away from motion control before they ever reached full flower. What the Wii never received was an additional generation to iterate on its core concepts, particularly the ones enabled late by the MotionPlus, like the jump from 8-bit to 16-bit. It seems like we are finally catching up. I must say I'm curious about how the responsiveness of the HD Rumble feedback will figure into the design.

Damn when I saw he reveal I was like "ehhhhhhh naaaah" but after checking the trailer out again, I love the artsyle and arcadey vibe I'm getting. So now I went from a no to a hard yes. Looks like it's gonna be tons of fun when my buddies come over.

pelican

Why does it need motion control? Especially considering the "portable" aspect of the console.

I've got a dodgy left arm due to a serious break several years ago. Motion control is a no no.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I'm so glad that we're finally seeing iterations on concepts that showed promise on the Wii but were cut short by market trends away from motion control before they ever reached full flower. What the Wii never received was an additional generation to iterate on its core concepts, particularly the ones enabled late by the MotionPlus, like the jump from 8-bit to 16-bit. It seems like we are finally catching up. I must say I'm curious about how the responsiveness of the HD Rumble feedback will figure into the design.
I like you!

Effect

High praise from this guy.

I had the feeling ARMS might cause this reaction. I won't be surprised if people come out of these events feeling about ARMS the way they did about Splatoon. From the images it seems Nintendo might think that might be the case as well with the units it's getting.

sfried

ARMS looks like a mix between Punch-Out and Virtual On...

That's a good base start. If they can expand upon that, it can go places. We'll see.

Liking the art design so far.

So...who are the developers behind this? Is this really the product of Nintendo's fresh blood (a la Splatoon), or is this Next Level Games? Retro Studios?

ARMS looks like a mix between Punch-Out and Virtual On...

That's a good base start. If they can expand upon that, it can go places. We'll see.

Liking the art design so far.

So...who are the developers behind this? Is this really the product of Nintendo's fresh blood (a la Splatoon), or is this Next Level Games? Retro Studios?

I read somewhere on here it's the Mario Kart team, which is why I find it baffling people think it's a low budget game

khaaan

It looks a lot better than I thought it would be but I'm not sold on it. Gameplay doesn't look fun but I also had the same feeling towards Splatoon and it became possibly my favorite game on the Wii U. A lot of positive reactions going around so I'm willing to take the gamble on it.

sfried

I read somewhere on here it's the Mario Kart team, which is why I find it baffling people think it's a low budget game
I don't know if it's really "low budget". Too early to tell. Splatoon was similarly "low budget" but the marketing push for it was tremendous and it became one of Nintendo's most well-know "big new IPs".

With that artstyle, I have a feeling they're really trying to push this as another game from the same new blood as the ones who did Spaltoon.

Amen, my friend.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Honestly as someone who loves fighting games but can't commit to them in terms of execution this looks like my jam.

I was a huge fan of wii-sports boxing but was irked that the nunchuck often lacked the sensitivity to detect my punches as well as the wii-mote and my friends and I quickly boiled the game down to 3 play styles which countered each other. I always felt there was a kernel of something truly promising in there and Arms looks much more like what I had in mind when I was pondering that, so colour me enthused :D

I think it's worth mentioning how amazing the trailer is. Not only does it explain the game without a single line of text or speech, but if you watch carefully it even basically shows you the controls (e.g. tilt both in the same direction to evade, tilt them inwards to block, etc)

Haha, I feel like that was everyone's first thought as soon as Spring Man showed up.
Not for me, no... but I did start thinking that when I saw Ribbon girl, she's way cooler to me that mr toothpaste hair :3

StayDead

I was a huge fan of wii-sports boxing but was irked that the nunchuck often lacked the sensitivity to detect my punches as well as the wii-mote and my friends and I quickly boiled the game down to 3 play styles which countered each other. I always felt there was a kernel of something truly promising in there and Arms looks much more like what I had in mind when I was pondering that, so colour me enthused :D

I think it's worth mentioning how amazing the trailer is. Not only does it explain the game without a single line of text or speech, but if you watch carefully it even basically shows you the controls (e.g. tilt both in the same direction to evade, tilt them inwards to block, etc)

Not for me, no... but I did start thinking that when I saw Ribbon girl, she's way cooler to me that mr toothpaste hair :3

Ribbon Girl is Nintendos next best waifu!

Kicko

Nintendo is killing it in terms of art direction.

I'm excited to see more about this game, but I'm especially excited to see more of the character designs.

This smells like a sleeper hit.

Golnei

Ribbon Girl is Nintendos next best waifu!

She looked a little bland to me, nothing like the instant
(NON-SEXUAL)
aesthetic appeal of the Inklings. I think the game as a whole has a serviceable take on that sort of visual style, but the character design can't compete with Splatoon or, given the more proportionate adult characters, Overwatch. Though it's certainly nowhere near a disaster of Codename STEAM proportions; there's room for improvement. Maybe there'll be a reasonable skin/costume element?

Riposte

Looks interesting, but I have two concerns: 1) motion controls, 2) local multiplayer is going to be so expensive.

Oersted

Interesting for a game that seems to rely so heavily on motion control. I woulda thought there'd be a learning curve that put people off at first.

Motion, as in movement, is normally a bit more natural than buttons and thus easier to learn

Lucifon

Looks like a minigame to me, no chance I'd pay full whack for this especially not £59.99 in the UK. Surprised it's not a launch title.

I thought this looked boring from the first screenshot I saw but the trailer really sold it to me. Less like a Punchout and more like a Wind Jammers vibes. :)

Top Bottom