• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

slit

As disappointed as I am with how Nintendo has bungled the whole Switch unveiling this game probably intrigues me the most. It's looks great.

Eliseo

IDK, the entire presentation of the game gave me that impression, like a downloadable e-shop only title. Splatoon looks more ambitious to me.

You should check out the splatoon threads when it was revealed back in 2014, people were calling it an eshop title as well, then We got the wall of shame thread on how splatoon would bomb like the W101.

Alx

It looks fun, probably the most promising game of the reveal for me. Not exactly what I would expect from a motion-based fighting game, but if the gameplay is deep enough it could be a new genre.

Can't really understand the excitement over this game. It is basically Wii sports boxing worth a twist. Great graphics though, but i really don't think this can be a 60 bucks game, sorry.

Skeletos311

It looks like it could be fun, but I'm not completely sold on it. The character designs aren't as cool as other Nintendo series. They're fine, though.

Jintor

Anyone know the staff behind this? Crazy people decried Splatoon at launch and that had a similar vibe to me at times. Granted I don't see anything as immediately compelling as the ink mechanics

This was the one surprising highlight of the presentation for me, the art style was great and the motion control appears to be well thought out. Not sure how much depth it'll have, but it looks like fun.

Genio88

Looks great, a mix of Splatoon and Overwatch but with a different and new fighting mechanic, something that only Nintendo would try outside of some indie developers. I didn't expect Switch to focus that much on motion control, but those Joycons looks great for that purpose, and yhe tech should be way better than the old Wii one.
I'm definitely looking forward for it, though i hope Nintendo will put a demo for it on the eShop, cause i this is the kind of game you can't know how will control unless you try first hand

Mandelbo

Hopefully we see more of this at the treehouse stream later. It looks great, but the control scheme they're showing wouldn't work at all in portable mode. I need more details!

Majmun

Noooo, waggle controls are back :(

Looks great, a mix of Splatoon and Overwatch but with a different and new fighting mechanic, something that only Nintendo would try outside of some indie developers.

Looks nothing like those two games. What are you smoking lol

This looks brilliant; I'm very much looking forward to how intense battles could get. I hope we see some footage today of some experienced folk playing to get an idea of the tactics it allows for.

The game looks fantastic, but I have a question:

Since it's motion control based around moving hands individually, think there will be a classic control setup??

I'm trying to think of how you would play this game on portable mode

Kouichi

I really like what I've seen of this game. I never thought a motion controlled fighting game would ever interest me but Nintendo continues to surprise! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

vareon

Can't really understand the excitement over this game. It is basically Wii sports boxing worth a twist. Great graphics though, but i really don't think this can be a 60 bucks game, sorry.

Wii Sports boxing was fun while it lasted, so a fully fleshed game based on the same improved mechanic AND hardware should be fun. The battles look really fun to watch, too.

EDIT:

Hoping other people to buy a $80 controller is not, though.

Hopefully we see more of this at the treehouse stream later. It looks great, but the control scheme they're showing wouldn't work at all in portable mode. I need more details!

Same. Need to see some Treehouse gameplay and find out if there is single player content. The idea seems fun, but definitely need to know more.

Peltz

If the controls have enough fidelity and nuance, this game will be fantastic. I wish it were available at launch.

Jintor

Has this been confirmed to not be Platinum's work? That game just screams it is visually.

Are you kidding? The closest platinum joint would be w101 and it only barely resembles that.

Also platinum plaster their logo all over anything they make. They love to shine.

psyfi

Banned
I largely hated waggle on the Wii, but *if* they can pull this off it'll be amazing. It's clear the game has serious potential for depth, it just needs to feel natural and responsive.

I like the concept, but I'm far less interested if there's no traditional control method. I thought the entire point of the console was being able to play the same game as both a home console and portable experience, but there's no way you could play this on public transport. I've yet to play a motion control game that I felt did anything but hamper the experience, so I don't have high hopes.

Alx

I like the concept, but I'm far less interested if there's no traditional control method. I thought the entire point of the console was being able to play the same game as both a home console and portable experience, but there's no way you could play this on public transport. I've yet to play a motion control game that I felt did anything but hamper the experience, so I don't have high hopes.

You can't convert all games to a portable experience. Just Dance is releasing for the console too, and that's not adapted to public transports either. :p
Anyway I think the point of the console is at least just as much "take your console with you to party with your friends" than "use it as a portable".

Davey Cakes

I thought the gameplay LOOKED kind of goofy, but I bet playing it is really fun.

I'm one of the few people that actually liked Wii Boxing so this is a very logical evolution of the concept.

This is system selling software like I havent seen since Wii Sports. I stand by my initial reaction. Why it isnt packed in or at launch is a bit mind boggling, but whatever! It will be out by holiday 2017 when consumers are making xmas purchase decisions

Neoxon

Looks interesting enough, though I can definitely see this being a May release so Nintendo can have one first party game a month for the Switch.

Top Bottom