• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army Corps halts Dakota Access Pipeline work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other thread used banned source, so I went digging around

@Ali Velshi (MSNBC)

BREAKING: Army Corps halts Dakota Access Pipeline work, tells Standing Rock the current route for the pipeline will be denied.

@The Hill

#BREAKING: Army corps halting work on Dakota Access Pipeline
@ABC News

JUST IN: US Army denies easement allowing Dakota Access Pipeline to cross under North Dakota lake, citing "need to explore alternate routes"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow. I'm stunned it worked. Great news. Gives me a brief tinge of hope for the next four years.

giga

Statement.

Cy3L5xeUQAAjteJ.jpg:large

Thanks Obama.

See.

If you see injustice, stand up, make yourself heard, fight, protest, FIGHT.

Never allow injustice to choke out your voice.

Hexa

So can Trump just go "Nah" and reverse this? That's what the last paragraph made me think. :/

I was just about to click submit on a new thread. Here is what I got:

Pipeline Route Denied Near Reservation, Sioux Leader Says
The secretary of the Army Corps of Engineers has told Standing Rock Sioux Chairman David Archambault that the current route for the Dakota Access pipeline will be denied.
Important to note here that this is just word of mouth and someone stating that it WILL be denied. Has not yet happened though.

Looks like The Guardian is reporting now too.

The Army Corps of Engineers will not grant the permit for the Dakota Access pipeline to drill under the Missouri river, the army announced on Sunday, handing a major victory to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, after a months-long campaign against the pipeline.

Assistant secretary for civil works Jo-Ellen Darcy announced the decision on Sunday, with the army saying it was based on “a need to explore alternate routes” for the crossing.

“Although we have had continuing discussion and exchanges of new information with the Standing Rock Sioux and Dakota Access, it’s clear that there’s more work to do,” Darcy said in a statement. “The best way to complete that work responsibly and expeditiously is to explore alternate routes for the pipeline crossing.”

YES

YES

And this is the end of this forever then?

No, it just means they're delaying the current plan and "investigating alternate routes". Keep in mind once Trump settles in, his cabinet could easily just say "there were no alternatives, fuck yourselves".

I'm happy to see happen for now at least, shows that the protests did matter and had an effect, even if temporary.

Lkr

so trump will go back on this
and it will be 2017 and the US federal government will still be lying to natives and fucking them over like Andrew Jackson is president

See.

If you see injustice, stand up, make yourself heard, fight, protest, FIGHT.

Never allow injustice to choke out your voice.

Yep. And don't allow apathy to close your eyes. No doubt everybody who protested or donated needs to stay vigilant to hold the oppressors accountable because any tiny gap that can be used to circumvent this will be exploited by those who make a living on exploiting.

kirblar

Probably nothing only because a pipeline isn't being blocked, just the current route. Provided the oil flows, it's not likely to be contested IMO.
Yeah. As long as they can get an alternate route setup quickly it should nip this in the bud before the next Admin can do anything stupid about it.

At the very least, it's a victory for now and gives the protesters a much needed respite until Trump tries this again.

Obama treated this with apathy, Trump's administration will send the damn army in.

Prepare for Trump and his ilk to somehow call this terrorism. Even though it was just standing up for their land rights.

Also, let this be a reminder. Don't let anyone tell you activism and protesting doesn't work.
This shit right here. A big hats off to those who were there and helped organize the effort. This shite isn't easy, and they really did a great job of holding everything together, getting media involved as much as they could, and keeping their people fed, sheltered, and safe (as much as possible) while out there.

guek

Banned
I'm shocked tbh but great news!

Obama played a part but honestly he should have been way more proactive. He was basically indifferent about it. Maybe he'll say something official about this though to the native people.

Xe4

Banned
Good. There are tons of routes this pipeline can take, putting it over a lake important to the local Sioux Tribe is disrespectful and dumb. Good on Obama and the Army Corps, hope they find an alternate route.

jett

D-Member
A shame it had to take some poor girl to lose her arm for this to happen. But it happened at least.

Zubz

Banned
I'm so happy about this! I fear it may get overturned after Obama gets office, but this is proof that protests work. Hopefully this'll encourage more social activism in the future.

In the meantime, though, I'm so happy to hear those shitty oil companies aren't going to be destroying that land, and that the Sioux Tribe can keep it untouched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom