• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army Corps halts Dakota Access Pipeline work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

We should all be thanking the protesters, without whom none of this would be possible.
Their protesting kept a spotlight on this when most of the news organizations all but ignored it.
The news about the pipeline being redirected away from white neighborhoods was probably the straw but it was definitely mostly the protesters.

Holy shitballs, this is not the outcome i was expecting

Two thousand veterans showing up with the level of organization and determination they did was a game changer.

That said eff yeah at this result. Determination on this level will make a lot more victories like this possible. Keep up the fight and stay vigilant.

guek

Banned
The main issue I have with thanking Obama for this is while he did ask the Army Corp of Engineers to do a review, he didn't do that as a clear Native ally, he did so because even now he wants to appear moderate and balanced. But a moderate in the face of blatant oppression is equivalent to indifference. Rather than stand up for what's right, he deferred responsibility. It would have been one thing if he had taken a stand and sided with the Native people while this was under review but he didn't. It would have been worthy of admiration had he continued to speak out about how he's trying to help and how the violence was abhorrent but he remained silent. I have no doubt in my mind that if the decision had been to finish the pipeline, Obama would have washed his hands clean of the entire situation and claim there was nothing he could have done. For that reason, I'm more grateful that the Army Corp of Engineers saw reason instead of caving to the oil industry than I am to Obama who clearly just wanted to pass the buck.

Aselith

Wow. I'm stunned it worked. Great news. Gives me a brief tinge of hope for the next four years.

Why would it do that? Trump has a vested interest in the Dakota, he's definitely starting that shit right back up when he gets in office.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I mentioned this to my mom and she was salty AF.
I didn't know she even had an opinion on it. Her conservative TV station must have told her that the protestors were thugs.

Aselith

It would be stupid of Trump to do something about it once he gets in. The protests as well as the attention got bigger and bigger. I don't know how he would be able to make himself look good if they were to get even stronger. All attention would be on him.

Exactly, that's why he will absolutely do it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Two thousand veterans showing up with the level of organization and determination they did was a game changer.

That said eff yeah at this result. Determination on this level will make a lot more victories like this possible. Keep up the fight and stay vigilant.
This gives me some hope that we can fight back against Trump and the GOP.

guek

Banned
Is there a story out there about how the vets organized their migration to help out at Standing Rock?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
For people worried about Trump reversing it, it is after the January 1st completion deadline which investors can negotiate or terminate their contracts which is appearing to be quite likely:

http://www.honorearth.org/dapljeopa...iondec&utm_medium=email&utm_source=honorearth

Quoting myself for I mean it is quite likely that these contracts would terminate. This angle literally had no mainstream press talking about it. There was a possible end game in place even before what happened today took place.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Why would investors be worried with the dumbest fucking man who ever lived soon to be sworn in and taking marching orders from dozens of people who would gladly send the riot police down upon the entire protest group?

I'm totally surprised that this might have a relatively acceptable outcome now.

Spoiler alert: public displays and protests are how half of the shit in history has ever gotten done.

There will always be a score of people who clutch their pearls and wonder why the oppressed think they have the right to engage in all of this unpleasantnesss and disrupt the aesthetic of an orderly, quiet, stop-complaining-about-your-exploitation society.

Yep. I hope that the effort to call attention to and stop this is rewarded.

giga

Q1q3TBE.png

Does he know a woman lost her arm protesting this? That the pipeline was set to go through an Indian reservation and there was a risk it could contaminate the local drinking water?

Paul Ryan is basically a walking corporation who doesn't care about his impact on the environment.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Why would investors be worried with the dumbest fucking man who ever lived soon to be sworn in and taking marching orders from dozens of people who would gladly send the riot police down upon the entire protest group?

To quote from my article I posted:

Producers and shippers may well want to do that, because oil prices plummeted soon after the contracts were signed in 2014, and the economics of Bakken drilling are dismal now in comparison. Production has declined dramatically and continues to decline more each month, with no end in sight. As a result, there is no real need for the Dakota Access pipeline, because the existing pipelines out of the Bakken, combined with the capacity of local refineries, more than meet the demand of producers wanting to get their products to markets. And that doesn’t even take into account the fact that some shippers will always choose rail because rail lines serve destinations that pipelines cannot.

In other words, Bakken infrastructure is already overbuilt, so shippers do not need the Dakota Access pipeline, and depending on the details of contractual terms, may well be interested in renegotiation with DAPL or even terminating their purchase agreements. This would put the project at risk of becoming a stranded asset, even before construction is fully complete.

Oh shit, Tomi Lahren is going to bust a nut. She's been a huge proponent of the pipeline.

Not to mention Trump is going to be put in power and as commander and chief can override the Army Corps decision.

This won't last.

darkwing

Oh shit, Tomi Lahren is going to bust a nut. She's been a huge proponent of the pipeline.

Not to mention Trump is going to be put in power and as commander and chief can override the Army Corps decision.

This won't last.

true, but at least there is a respite of a few months

Well, my happiness lasted less than 12 hours and my pessimism was right. Wake up today to see all the politicians throwing tantrums and shade at Obama, and the pipeline group saying they essentially don't give a shit what army corp of engineers say because they already got federal approval. Does the fight continue so soon or are these people raging simply to save face?

The piece of shit CEO for this whole thing gave money to the city of Dallas to create a park in the name of his child. I'd love to see the city rename the park, as it's obvious he doesn't give a shit about the environment. Fuck Kelcy Warren. It's not good enough he's worth 4.2 billion, but he wants more. And doesn't give a shit about how he will get it.

Just remember this next time some hipster douche tells you that protesting is bad and you need to do something else, then tell them to fuck off.

Well, my happiness lasted less than 12 hours and my pessimism was right. Wake up today to see all the politicians throwing tantrums and shade at Obama, and the pipeline group saying they essentially don't give a shit what army corp of engineers say because they already got federal approval. Does the fight continue so soon or are these people raging simply to save face?

For reference:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161204005090/en/

Tl;dr, the company behind the pipeline are still planning to push it.

I'm serious that if this shit comes back up, I'm ready to take time off work to hop in my car and head to Dakota. Never protested in my life, but fuck me if this topic doesn't get me fired up.

15 hour drive. Sounds good.

Things are escalating at the DAPL site again.

i4CgzUX.png

https://twitter.com/RuthHHopkins/status/821215419499511808

qky2Fph.png

https://twitter.com/RuthHHopkins/status/821216410055610368

more from Ruth Hopkins:

Ruth Hopkins ‏@RuthHHopkins
Over camp tonight, low flying planes with no lights Jan 16 2017 #NoDAPL

Police continue to protect DAPL interests & injure water protectors on treaty lands even though DAPL doES not have an easement.

There is no reason for the barricade to remain in place. Police injure water protectors while blocking a fast route to medical attention.

People camping on treaty lands have a right to be there. Police & DAPL mercs currently have no reason to be there except to protect DAPL.

antonz

GOP in North Dakota are looking to change Motor Vehicle laws so people who "unintentionally" causes injury or death to people standing in the way of traffic would not be breaking the law.
House Bill Number 1203 states that, "Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a driver of a motor vehicle who unintentionally causes injury or death to an individual obstructing vehicular traffic on a public road, street, or highway, is not guilty of an offense."

Rep. Keith Kempenich (R-Bowman), one of the bill's co-sponsors, told the Bismarck Tribune on Wednesday, "[The roads are] not there for the protesters. They're intentionally putting themselves in danger."
"It's shifting the burden of proof from the motor vehicle driver to the pedestrian," Kempenich said.
http://www.wptv.com/news/national/r...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom