• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army Corps halts Dakota Access Pipeline work

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Let's wait and see where they plan on rerouting this pipeline. Something tells me that won't be pretty either.

I'm so happy about this! I fear it may get overturned after Obama gets office, but this is proof that protests work. Hopefully this'll encourage more social activism in the future.

In the meantime, though, I'm so happy to hear those shitty oil companies aren't going to be destroying that land, and that the Sioux Tribe can keep it untouched.

they'll still be fucking with the land, just not their land. for now.

Step 2.

Sue the shit out of the government and the corporations funding the pipeline for allowing them to turn the fucking hoses on them and cut emergency support.

That's amazing!

No doubt Trump will fuck it up as he fucks everything else up, but for now this is a fantastic victory. I would've never in a million years thought this was gonna work!

boiled goose

good with gravy
It's disgusting that it took this long, but this is great news for sure. Protesting can still get shit done.

This.

People giving credit to Obama instead of the people sacrificing their own bodies.

Better late than never, but it should have never taken this long. The media barely covered this.

The most disgusting part of this ordeal was how blatantly the police and government were working for their corporate overlords instead of actually trying to keep citizens safe.

kirblar

Protest + leverage works, and they had it since the bodies on the ground were blocking construction
I'm shocked tbh but great news!

Obama played a part but honestly he should have been way more proactive. Maybe he'll say something official about this though to the native people.
I think the relative silence has been due to the Admin's inability to do anything about the police behavior due to it being state/local level. We saw a similar situation during Ferguson, where the Admin's biggest direct actions were behind the scenes (via the DoJ) and time-delayed.

giga

This is a decision by the Army Corp. This would be in the hands of President Trump.
Who are under the DoD. Obama surely has influence here and the Standing Rock statement thanks him and his administration for this decision.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Protest + leverage works, and they had it since the bodies on the ground were blocking construction

I think the relative silence has been due to the Admin's inability to do anything about the police behavior due to it being state/local level. We saw a similar situation during Ferguson, where the Admin's biggest direct actions were behind the scenes (via the DoJ) and time-delayed.

The relative silence is because Obama is a weak leader afraid to rock the boat too much. Look at his statements and actions. Basically saying we will let it play out and both sides nonsense. Take a stand.

Also, let this be a reminder. Don't let anyone tell you activism and protesting doesn't work.

Again, it really depends on both what you are asking for and who can give it to you. This was a much more straightforward situation than you will normally get.

Either way I am happy they won.

kirblar

The relative silence is because Obama is a weak leader afraid to rock the boat too much. Look at his statements and actions. Basically saying we will let it play out and both sides nonsense. Take a stand.
Allowing the pipeline to continue while not having it go through land stolen a century ago is the correct decision.

That's not weakness, that's knowing which parts of the battle are important.

This is so awesome. What a wonderful outcome for the tribes involved. I hope this holds but I fear that the Cheetoh will overturn this since hes invested in the company.

WillyFive

After so much work and horrifying opposition, it's so good to hear that peaceful protests work and there is one less Indian War still being fought.

The statement at the end did bring up a good point; it is possible for the Trump administration to start the ball going again, especially because they are invested in it.

SRG01

All the people who say protesting "isn't the right way" to address problems like these can eat crow.

Organized protests and resistance are absolutely the right way to go about things. It's the only leverage the disenfranchised have against a larger power.

After so much work and horrifying opposition, it's so good to hear that peaceful protests work and there is one less Indian War still being fought.

The statement at the end did bring up a good point; it is possible for the Trump administration to start the ball going again, especially because they are invested in it.

IMO, I don't think Trump will reverse this decision. He'll waste too much political capital and would rather go after low-hanging fruit to appease his base, especially with how thin his cabinet choices are.

If I am going to be a complete pessimist...I fear the protesters clearing out, and a month later them deciding to move ahead with pipeline work. It would be ten times easier to keep protesters out once they get them off the land. Surely this wouldn't happen though. Surely....

Showaddy

Also, let this be a reminder. Don't let anyone tell you activism and protesting doesn't work.

The shit these people had to endure just to protect their land though... You shouldn't have to suffer life changing injuries when an alternative route would have been so easy.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Great news. Hopefully this is over, but with Trump weeks away from holding power, I doubt it.

kirblar

If I am going to be a complete pessimist...I fear the protesters clearing out, and a month later them deciding to move ahead with pipeline work. It would be ten times easier to keep protesters out once they get them off the land. Surely this wouldn't happen though. Surely....
They're at a point where construction work was about to get delayed regardless of outcome due to the winter onset.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

That's exactly where my head is. This fight is far from over and I hope the tribes know that and don't start packing up right away.

I also think that the vets that went out there and really caught attention for putting their bodies against the armed police is what forced the military's hand on this one.

You can't have police out there macing, shooting rubber bullets and hosing down veterans of the armed forces in the national eye.

When the camps start to dissipate and the vets are gone all those tactics will come back out and it will be ugly once again.

Tugatrix

giphy.gif

You know you will miss this guy

WillyFive

The shit these people had to endure just to protect their land though... You shouldn't have to suffer life changing injuries when an alternative route would have been so easy.

That's the price of a peaceful protest. The others have guns and you don't.

Alternative route?

Mortemis

Banned
This is amazing news. Fuuuuck yes.

Fuck it all if this decision is reversed or any fuckery of that sort. Please.

Media

Nice. Its was a whole month of protesting, huh? Great that it worked.
It's been going on since early this year actually.

That's makes me so fucking happy. Thank you for respecting treaty land, Obama. I know there will be another fight come January but at least for now there's hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom