• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins screenshot leaks, new details (AC4 team, Naval combat, more)

They gave you that in Liberation, Freedom Cry, Unity and Syndicate in which modern day where reduced to the bare minimum or just non existent and EVERYONE complained.

Modern day needs to be done better and not be gutted and discarded just because they dropped the ball during Assassin's Creed III in which they wrote themselves into that damn corner.

Like, I still remember when a lot of the discussion about the series was how maybe we were going to get a full Assassins Creed game in modern times.

Yup. I want present day to be involved, but I honestly have no idea how they can make the modern plotline compelling anymore after AC3 absolutely butchered it. I think a total reboot would benefit the series a lot. Just keep the core concepts (the Assasins/Templars, reliving ancestors memories), and scrap everything else.

Here's hoping that they really have dramatically redone a lot of the underlying systems and mechanics of Assassin's Creed. Not only does Dishonored wipe the floor with AC in terms of being an assassin simulator, but Witcher 3 and Zelda have really raised the bar when it comes to storytelling and gameplay in an open world, respectively.

Ironically, Assassin's Creed is doomed if it's game design stays too stuck in the past.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2017-05-0918_22_46-_tueuyt.png

2017-05-0918_20_43-asv3uif.png

Why even bother with modern day anymore, it's all meaningless bullshit these days.
It's the series "building blocks" and it's going to be in Origins. Deal with it.
The building blocks that were basically forgotten after AC3 and are there now just to fill a quota because there's no modern time plot anymore.

THE TEMPLARS ARE DOING VIDEOGAMES, ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO PLAY SAID VIDEOGAME

AHA-Lambda

Not gonna touch it if they continue their abysmal handling of the modern stuff, then again I haven't touched AC in ages largely cos of that

I'll be curious to see if the extra year actually changes things. The cynic in me says no but I want to proven wrong of course

Griss

They gave you that in Liberation, Freedom Cry, Unity and Syndicate in which modern day where reduced to the bare minimum or just non existent and EVERYONE complained.

Modern day needs to be done better and not be gutted and discarded just because they dropped the ball during Assassin's Creed III in which they wrote themselves into that damn corner.

Like, I still remember when a lot of the discussion about the series was how maybe we were going to get a full Assassins Creed game in modern times.

Who complained? The only complaints I heard with the reduction in modern day elements were that it wasn't removed entirely.

rhandino

Banned
The modern day stuff is a really awesome idea conceptually, but I don't think they've been able to do it well since ACII. Brotherhood totally shat the bed with it all.
I think they did it really well in 1 x_x

Like, even the damn manual was integrated into it (for people that don't know or remember the first Assassins Creed included the typical game manul but it was written in universe and had anotations by Lucy and Dr. Warren Vidic about how to improve it)

II and Brotherhood were a bit more meh but fleshed out the modern day Assassin's a bit more and thanks to the database and glyphs puzzles they managed to remain interesting.

Revelations was the first time I had doubts about Ubi and their direction of the series with Animus Island and the First Person segments and all that culminated in the terrible ending of III in which Ubi just lost the plot and decided to say fuck it.

Who complained? The only complaints I heard with the reduction in modern day elements were that it wasn't removed entirely.
People who liked the modern day segments and the metaplot and where pressed that the thing was going nowhere by the time Unity dropped the ball.

Papacheeks

Banned
I feel anything with the precurser/pieces of adam story is complete garbage. It takes me out of the overall setting, and basically kills my overall interest in the character's story arc.
Black flag was the only one that really was more about Kenway and he really didn't give a shit that much about the assassins by the end. Which I liked Black flag so much, it was his personal story of being a feared pirate/assassin and how he himself was his own worst enemy.

Anything to do with the stupid artifact I give no shits about. I feel it's a stupid story that is ridiculous especially with the whole Desmond end of the world scenario.
I just want games set in these time periods, about assassins vs templars and I don't even care if there isn't any assassination in the game. Imagine being able to just be a skilled guy who happens to be in that time period during the AC v templar conflict.

Sorry for the rant, but the overall story for AC and the whole advanced civilization is stupid. It makes me not want to continue when I really get into the setting, sights, and exploring nature of the game.

.The building blocks that were basically forgotten after AC3

I blame the people who wanted it out in the first place, by killing off Desmond. Always have. Always will do. Ubi listened to them and that was a huge mistake. We got half-arsed games like Unity and Syndicate (and the MD in black flag was utter tripe) They saw what they done and now they're correcting their error by adding it back, 3rd person and everything. It's coming back better than ever and I can't wait to see what they do with it.

The modern day stuff brings the narrative down several notches...It is not believable, interesting or well thought out. The main stories are pretty decent.

Anyway, I am intrigued with this one.

Seijuro

Setting sounds good, modern day sounds even better. Cautiously optimistic for this.

Also if they reveal it now or at E3 at the latest it is probably a 2017 title.

bryanee

I love the modern stuff and to see it pretty much dropped in the last couple of games annoyed the hell out of me. I want it back and I want it done right. If they want to drop the modern day stuff then the least they can do is finish of the story they were telling from AC4.

RedSwirl

Khenut seems to place the game 2494 to 2345 BC.

If real, then an unexpected choice. Maybe Ubisoft is deliberately picking a period about which we have little information so they can fill in a lot themselves, thus allowing for more player freedom without deliberately introducing massive historical inaccuracies.

In any case, that's way earlier than most of the ancient world stuff people might have been speculating about for an AC game, still firmly in the bronze age. I don't think we have any concept of European civilization at all at this time. It's pretty much just Egypt, Mesopotamian civilizations (Babylon, Assyria, etc.), and maybe the Indus Valley. That in it self would make this concept a unique one for an AC game since I think basically every AC so far has centered on western civilization.

For more reference (I'm really just looking at Wiki and a bunch of charts I've found), this rumored time period would be maybe 100 years after the Great Pyramid was built. Troy probably existed during this time but we really don't know what the heck the Greeks were doing back then. This is more than 2000 years before Cleopatra but just 200 or 300 years after Imhotep.

Peroroncino

Naval combat without cannon fire... hmm, a bit hard to imagine, but I'm definitely interested in the game now due to that aspect alone.

UrbanRats

Ugh, back to characters with the whole empire fucking armory on their backs? I thought after Unity and Syndicate, we'd be over that shit.

Hopefully you can have your character look lees busy, since, you know, you're supposed to be a stealthy assassin.

Composer

They dropped the ball in almost every AC that heavily featured modern day. Personally, it only serves to pull me from my enjoyment of the game. I just want to run around ancient cities.

So if you don't enjoy the most boring parts of the game that aren't even a bulk of the game, then the entire game isn't for you? That's bonkers mate.

Yup, if you don't like the major motivation for the game, please stop playing it. For the rest of us, who actually enjoy the series, we've had to deal with the last 3-4 games absolutely removing that aspect of the games, because they heard yall's voices. Its time the modern day aspect come back in full force.

RedSwirl

Here's hoping that they really have dramatically redone a lot of the underlying systems and mechanics of Assassin's Creed. Not only does Dishonored wipe the floor with AC in terms of being an assassin simulator, but Witcher 3 and Zelda have really raised the bar when it comes to storytelling and gameplay in an open world, respectively.

Ironically, Assassin's Creed is doomed if it's game design stays too stuck in the past.

Honestly, I agree. I was never crazy about the underlying gameplay and control systems of Assassin's Creed. They aren't the reason the franchise works in my opinion.

I was into AC2 because of the unique setting and good characters. I was into AC4 because of the Grand Theft Pirate Ship game Ubisoft decided to pack in with what was otherwise just another AC game. ...And that's pretty much the extent of my interest in the AC franchise to be honest.

Peroroncino

Ugh, back to characters with the whole empire fucking armory on their backs? I thought after Unity and Syndicate, we'd be over that shit.

Hopefully you can have your character look lees busy, since, you know, you're supposed to be a stealthy assassin.

Yup, I also don't like it when game characters have entire garrison on their back, looks too unwieldy and unpractical.

Yep. I don't really remember all that many complaints tbh. I preferred it.

I feel anything with the precurser/pieces of adam story is complete garbage. It takes me out of the overall setting, and basically kills my overall interest in the character's story arc.
Black flag was the only one that really was more about Kenway and he really didn't give a shit that much about the assassins by the end. Which I liked Black flag so much, it was his personal story of being a feared pirate/assassin and how he himself was his own worst enemy.

Anything to do with the stupid artifact I give no shits about. I feel it's a stupid story that is ridiculous especially with the whole Desmond end of the world scenario.
I just want games set in these time periods, about assassins vs templars and I don't even care if there isn't any assassination in the game. Imagine being able to just be a skilled guy who happens to be in that time period during the AC v templar conflict.

Sorry for the rant, but the overall story for AC and the whole advanced civilization is stupid. It makes me not want to continue when I really get into the setting, sights, and exploring nature of the game.

Exactly. It's a terrible story and it only pulls me from enjoying the rest of the game.

I blame the people who wanted it out in the first place, by killing off Desmond. Always have. Always will do. Ubi listened to them and that was a huge mistake. We got half-arsed games like Unity and Syndicate (and the MD in black flag was utter tripe) They saw what they done and now they're correcting their error by adding it back, 3rd person and everything. It's coming back better than ever and I can't wait to see what they do with it.
If they go back to having actual characters and a point to the story instead of the no name self insert vs evil videogame of the week garbage they went with for the last few games I'm down for it. Either do it like the first 3 games or don't do it at all.

nOoblet16

What kind of ships existed during the ancient Egypt period ? Surely they couldn't have been anything like the ships in Black Flag, plus no gunpowder means no canons. How do you do exciting navel combat without canons ? Have people throw spears ?

Anyways the reason modern day stuff is bullcrap is because I know, you know, they know, everyone knows that they will never ever go anywhere with it story wise. Because for that to happen they have to advance it towards an ending.

That woman was released into the world but in order to address it they need to have a full on proper modern day plot like AC1-3 did. Infact I am pretty sure that at some point they wanted one AC game fully set in modern world to "conclude" the story, hence the training of Desmond Miles and such and the snippets of modern day parkour gameplay you saw in AC2. Then the series became all about being a period theme park.

At this point this should just drop the modern stuff because no one cares about it, even less so when it's just some nameless and faceless dude. Cause Shaun and Rebecca became just I donno, whatever.

If they go back to having actual characters and a point to the story instead of the no name self insert vs evil videogame of the week garbage they went with for the last few games I'm down for it. Either do it like the first 3 games or don't do it at all.

They are doing. It's back in full force, 3rd person. Really excited for it.

I've always wanted to sail the Mediterranean Jason and the Argonauts style. Odysseus - why hasn't someone made this game yet like a Ryse type.

gogosox82

I'm interesting after liking Syndicate. Never played AC4 and didn't like the naval stuff in AC3 so not really excited about that but Egypt sounds really interesting. Not sure how I feel about 2 protagonists. Evie was so much better than Jacob in Syndicate and most of her story stuff seemed much more interesting than Jacob who didn't seem to give two fucks about any assassins creed story stuff and just wanted to beat people up and run a gang because reasons. I think they could've built an entire game around Evie if they had just went with her and not forced Jacob into it. Maybe with more time, they will be able flesh out both characters but I have my doubts.

ryseing

Yup, if you don't like the major motivation for the game, please stop playing it. For the rest of us, who actually enjoy the series, we've had to deal with the last 3-4 games absolutely removing that aspect of the games, because they heard yall's voices. Its time the modern day aspect come back in full force.

I would call myself a fan of the series. IMO the modern day stuff is just an unnecessary obstacle for new players to get into the franchise and has always seemed pointless when the vast majority of the playerbase is there for the historical tourism. Modern day content should have ended in 3.

I will say if they're bringing it back, don't half ass it. The weird in between in 4-Syndicate was the worst possible solution.

I hope there are no more tailing missions. Those were the worst part of IV. The naval combat was awesome though.

I also really hope they revamped the gameplay as well. They've been sticking with the same format since the first one. Only minor tweaks, but more or less the same.

Top Bottom