• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins screenshot leaks, new details (AC4 team, Naval combat, more)

Yup, if you don't like the major motivation for the game, please stop playing it. For the rest of us, who actually enjoy the series, we've had to deal with the last 3-4 games absolutely removing that aspect of the games, because they heard yall's voices. Its time the modern day aspect come back in full force.

Well that's really dumb fucking logic then and I'm not sure why you keep repeating it. I can play it and complain as I'd like. Also, if the last few games removed it, then I'd hardly go around acting as if it's the main draw of the game.

I don't care if people like it either way. Personally, I don't. I'd never tell someone that shouldn't play a game based on those nonsense points you're giving me though. If you're going to keep doubling down on "the game isn't for you, don't play", then I'm just going to pay you no mind going forward.

If they add in a decent modern story, I'll be more than open to giving it a try, it doesn't mean that I can't be of the opinion that I'd rather they leave it out.

I honestly loved AC4's naval combat more so then anything else in the game.

This looks like a promising right step in a better direction in terms of what they want to do with this series.

Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Openworld is Ubi's thing going forward no doubt.
U1PHT7H.gif

GlamFM

Banned
Surprised to see (some) negative reactions to naval combat.

Thought it was amazing in and the best part of AC BF.

AHA-Lambda

People actually thought this would come to Switch? :-/

So you're never buying an AC game again, huh?

Probably not :p
I haven't touched AC since 4 after it and 3 screwed the pooch

Never know this seems like some sort of soft reboot, maybe give the modern story some substance again instead of that abstergo mets Ubisoft cack

It was functional, I never got the fuss for it

Toa TAK

Banned

That's the thing.

I'm ready for it to be spun-off into its own thing because if there's such a heavy focus on Naval combat that means the parts that make Assassin's Creed... Assassin's Creed are going to be dwindled. There was jack shit to climb and explore city-wise in Black Flag and Rogue. I'm not looking for those barebones experiences. At least Unity and Syndicate rectified that.

Black Flag team is giving me a bad feeling. Really hope they took the "no instant-fail tailing missions" outcry to heart like the Rogue, Unity and Syndicate teams did, because people pretty readily forget Black Flag was full of those things (I mean, you "steathily" tail a goddamn boat in a huge pirate ship in that game. Several times.)

sjay1994

That's the thing.

I'm ready for it to be spun-off into its own thing because if there's such a heavy focus on Naval combat that means the parts that make Assassin's Creed... Assassin's Creed are going to be dwindled. There was jack shit to climb and explore city-wise in Black Flag and Rogue. I'm not looking for those barebones experiences. At least Unity and Syndicate rectified that.

Since I haven't played rogue I am happy to see it come back. One of the most immersive exploration in an open world game.

AC4 was the last AC game I enjoyed. I disliked unity, and feel nothing for syndicate

And while people may complain, I hope a legitimate modern day is in, fuck the shlock in unity, syndicate and those new comics.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

I hated it.

I really enjoyed my time with Black Flag and i would have kept playing if it wasn't for naval combat. This alone makes me not excited for Origins.

I'm pretty sure naval combat will consist of you running around your raft/boat and sniping other boat/rafts with your bow. It'll be nice with flame tip arrows.

jmood88

I just hope that if Jesper Kyd isn't doing the music, that Olivier Derivier is. Outside of Assassin's Creed 2, Freedom Cry had the best music in the franchise and some of the best music I've heard in a game.

aliengmr

Well if the boring modern day crap is back then I'll be giving this a pass. Shutting down the game and doing literally anything else is better.

Toa TAK

Banned
I feel bad for Olivier because he always produces great music but it's always in games that barely anyone plays.
Right? Fuck, you would think after Remember Me and Freedom Cry a bigger series would've picked him up by now.

He's a great composer who really specializes in games. He's being wasted right now.

dex3108

I just hope that if Jesper Kyd isn't doing the music, that Olivier Derivier is. Outside of Assassin's Creed 2, Freedom Cry had the best music in the franchise and some of the best music I've heard in a game.

I think that Lorne Balfe also did good job with Revelations and AC3.

Brian Tyler also did an excellent job with Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

Oh man oh man oh man! Really pumped to see what this game looks like in action. AC 4 and Syndicate are my two favorite entries in the series so I'm excited to see what they've done with the extra dev time.

I like the modern day stuff, but they really act like they don't know what they want to do with it.

They used to have a plot. Those first couple AC games really felt like they were building toward something in the real world. Then they killed off their main character because having an actual plot nearing closure was bad for their yearly release cycle.

I'd love it if the real world segments actually mattered again instead of just being a 50 cent picture frame for the memory segments. The story feel low-stakes when I'm just a dude cruising around memory world in a nice office building for the hell of it.

What I've heard about this new game has me interested for the first time in a long time, but I do really hope that the real world portions matter again.

jmizzal

Damn, Nintendo will need some serious luck this fall, won't they. All Switch has is Mario.

Every heard of E3, plus already has Xenoblade 2, FE Warriors, rumored Smash Bros and Pokemon

I'll get this on my Xbox one anyways, and get those games on Switch

Simo

I'm pretty sure naval combat will consist of you running around your raft/boat and sniping other boat/rafts with your bow. It'll be nice with flame tip arrows.

I don't think there's actual naval combat though. The 4chan leak from over a year ago talked about using boats for navigation only and that some had interiors for quests and such.

Toa TAK

Banned
For what it's worth, as much of a Jesper Kyd fanboy that I am, I did enjoy a lot of the other composer's take on the series. Brian Tyler did well, Lorne Balfe was awesome, and especially Austin Wintory and Bear McCreary.

Winfred Phillips, Sarah Schachner, and Elista Alexandrova were good, too.

But I need Kyd back. His music seriously defined the identity of the series with the blend of both electronia and the sounds of the specific era he was composing for, which was exactly what Assassin's Creed was at the beginning blending the history with the science fiction. That got lost somewhere and I'd like to see it return.

Ubi managed to 'keep up' with Watch Dogs 2 and, to a lesser (but still significant) extent, Ghost Recon Wildlands.

I've got high hopes for this one if the rumours are true. Watch Dogs 2 is an excellent open world/sandbox game that is the first one to start adhering to their new open world principles (player driven stories).
Sort of. But Watch Dogs has a strong gimmick that can still be molded and isn't completely played out yet.

Ghost Recon Wildlands can't really be compared to Ubi's Watch Dogs/AssCreed line of games. It doesn't symbolize Ubisoft's open-world adventure virtues to me.

I think Ubi still has a lot to prove regarding their ability to keep up with the new open-world adventure standards of Witcher, Horizon: Zero Dawn and BOTW.

PSOreo

It will be interesting to see if this turns out to be true as I love ancient Egypt (assuming they're going as far back as that) but I do not like any of the boat mechanics of the past games. Ruined Black Flag for me so hopefully they've made it more enjoyable and actually fun to use them instead of a chore.

I didn't enjoy Black Flag as I found the naval stuff to be pretty slow and boring.
That's a shame. There wasn't much else to like about AC4 other than the ship stuff.

Spill the beans!

Yep this is me. Black Flag sucks. Rogue tho.
What was it that you preferred about Rogue? On paper it sounded like Black Flag but with a better story, but I couldn't get more than a few hours in before I just got bored. The story and on land gameplay just didn't do it for me.

kaskade

Like the idea of the naval combat as it felt good in black flag. I really wouldn't mind another one of them actually. There aren't enough pirate games.

c0de

As much as I like the AC games and the story, pleaded please don't stuff the map and game again with thousands of collectables or useless dumb “side quests“.

chaislip3

I've been replaying AC2 and Brotherhood recently, and I'm dying for a new AC game.

Ancient Egypt sounds like a great location. I feel like the pyramids might have a similar function to the Assassin's Tombs from AC2, which could be pretty cool.

Top Bottom