• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins screenshot leaks, new details (AC4 team, Naval combat, more)

jrush64

Banned
Nice to see it has modern day segments. Playing through the Ezio collection and I definitely missed the modern day stuff.

I enjoyed Naval Combat but... I don't know if i'm ready for more... we'll see. I hope it's still set in Egypt though.

Van Bur3n

Really don't find shoving naval combat in this one necessary, especially considering the setting in that:

1. This is Ancient Eygpt, how could primitive boats top off pirate vessels?

2. It's not a pirate game anymore, this is Assassin's Creed. I'd rather work be put into making drastic yet innovative changes to the original formula than once again bringing back what should have been a one off aspect.

Naval combat never grabbed me like it did with most. It's simply something I have no interest in with AC. Bringing it back in a pirate-esque AC, sure, but I don't think of it as a staple to the franchise.

I probably won't be getting it. Both because of the naval combat that the game will force on me and the cold hard fact that this will probably end up as another typical Ubisoft open world game that I don't see them ever improving.

StoveOven

Banned
Everything about this sounds good so far. Looking forward to seeing some gameplay. I still love a lot about this franchise despite the fact that it's wasted so much potential over the years.

Kinyou

I wonder what naval combat will look like. Looking at those ships in the screenshot it would probably be more effective to just jump onto the other ship and kill everyone by hand.

Also hope that they give us actually playable present day segments again. Those short render movies in Unity and Syndicate were absolutely pointless.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope they've reworked the controls a bit. Those were one of the things that kept me from really getting into the series. Way too many button combinations to do basic things.

Everything else sounds promising.

Some people here are making some big assumptions based off a single screenshot. I doubt naval combat will have as big role of a role as it did in Black Flag.

The ship he's on is also a very one man type of ship as it should be. Ships will probably be used mostly for traversal like other games such as W3 with combat sprinkled in.

NandoGip

I hate how they always have 17 editions with dlc at release. Ill probably get the goty pack. Last two AC games burned me.

dcx4610

Ugh. I'm all for Greece and what not but I just don't care for the naval content. It's well done but it's already been in 3 games now. Give me something fresh. Egypt should be all about exploring, puzzles and secrets.

Ancient naval combat doesn't sound that exciting relative to the series. All they had in terms of projectiles was arrows, right?

Lucreto

I would rather it be in a more interesting time period like Cleopatra era but I will take it.

I don't see naval combat working. Ramming is not as fun as a cannon. It might be for transportation than actually fighting.

Hopefully they revamp the modern day stuff
It's the backbone of the series and getting rid of it you might as well cancel the series.

Hopefully there is no multiplayer, it's been the worst part of the series by far.

I've been replaying AC2 and Brotherhood recently, and I'm dying for a new AC game.

Ancient Egypt sounds like a great location. I feel like the pyramids might have a similar function to the Assassin's Tombs from AC2, which could be pretty cool.

The sphinx is rumoured to have secret passages so that would be a good Base

ByWatterson

Really don't find shoving naval combat in this one necessary, especially considering the setting in that:

Depends on what "ancient Egypt" means. If during the Greek rule, as seems likely, could get super fun.

Naval combat might just be regular combat, after boarding enemy ships. Either way doesn't bother me at all though, AC4 was my favorite because of the ships. I want a femMC though.

Kambing

I've always loved AC games -- enjoyed Unity and Syndicate. The fact that this is from the AC4 team has me most excited. That was my favorite entry into the series.

Bring this the fuck on!

2. It's not a pirate game anymore, this is Assassin's Creed. I'd rather work be put into making drastic yet innovative changes to the original formula than once again bringing back what should have been a one off aspect.
Easy. Ancient naval battles are way more aggressive than pirate battles. Like the main Ancient Greek tactic was just literally t-boning into enemy ships, and then boarding amid the chaos.

It's more melee with boats, plus flamethrowers if you include Greek fire, than the ranged cannon battles of pirate ships.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
If it has Greece than the game is set in the Clssical Antiquity age. Which mean 23rd Dynasty and onwards. The Pyramids would be over a millennia old at minimum by then.

Im wondering if we will get a new main character for the modern day segments. Most interesting part of the story in my opinion and I think having a new main character would help the story out.

Kouriozan

Ubisoft is not going to risk releasing another AC game on a Nintendo console, after the disaster the Wii U versions sold.
And I understand them, it was so not worth it, you can't say they didn't try.

For reference :

xjpkUvO.png

3rd point was "Wii U owners need to buy Ubisoft games"

oti

Banned
Depends on what "ancient Egypt" means. If during the Greek rule, as seems likely, could get super fun.

I'd rather have a full Ancient Greece setting but this will do too.

But maaaan, Ancient Greece would've been so much better.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
If I've never played an AC game would I be missing out on enough plot shit to make jumping in this late a bad idea? No interest in playing the older ones, but Egypt is alluring to me.

Not Drake

Were people honestly expecting a switch version? I'm sure this will push the ps4 and xbone pretty hard.

Well, AC 3 and AC 4 were on WiiU and Ubisoft generally supports new platforms early in their lifecycle so I'm not surprised people were expecting AC 2017 on Switch.

TDLink

If I've never played an AC game would I be missing out on enough plot shit to make jumping in this late a bad idea? No interest in playing the older ones, but Egypt is alluring to me.

They stopped tying into some overarching plot (at least in any significant way) a long time ago. Pretty much every game from Black Flag on you can play without any prior knowledge.

It very well could be true that it won't come to Switch, but I wouldn't say that's a certainty based on this tweet. This guy has proven he's full of shit as an insider many times before.

oti

Banned

I played almost all of them. Don't bother. Read up on the plot if you like, but Ubisoft killed it off a few games ago and doesn't give a fuuuuuuuuuuck about it. Just jump in on this. Otherwise check out the London one. Unity if you want coop. (I liked Unity.)

Seijuro

This will most probably be a reboot concerning the overarching modern day storyline, so it should be a very good time to jump in.

Shiggy

Were people honestly expecting a switch version? I'm sure this will push the ps4 and xbone pretty hard.

Last year, Laura Kate Dale said it was coming:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...me_to_release_simultaneously_on_ps4xboxswitch

Tom Philips now also says it's not coming, at least not at the same time:
"Rumours last year AC: Origins would launch same time on Switch. In case it still needs saying, that's not happening"
https://twitter.com/tomphillipsEG/status/861978190507540480

For whatever reason, there are some people who expect every AAA third party title releasing this year to have a Switch version... There are some cases where a Switch version would make sense if third parties were willing to take the dive, but this doesn't seem to be one of them.

Assassin's Creed needs to regain some serious mindshare if we want more games in the series. I'm not expecting it, but I think it would be refreshing if they just rebooted the story entirely. Obviously they'd keep the core premise of the Animus and Templars vs. Assassin's, but I'd like to start fresh as if the other games didn't happen.

xviper

AC 4 was good but it had a MAJOR flaw, which is the repetitive tailing missions, it was like half the game, i hope they don't do that with this one too

Ahasverus

What was it that you preferred about Rogue? On paper it sounded like Black Flag but with a better story, but I couldn't get more than a few hours in before I just got bored. The story and on land gameplay just didn't do it for me.
It was tighter, with a better protagonist (I'm over sassy white guys), had ZERO tailing missions, sailing was relegated to setpieces, the environment was more, I dunno, somber? which was really interesting (all Black Flags islands/Cities look the same) and the story is really well done.

Van Bur3n

I think some people are overestimating the capabilities of the Switch to be constantly expecting ports of these AAA games.

rezn0r

Sign me up for day 1. A break is what this series needed, but I'm still a massive fan.

++ for liking Rogue possibly even more than Black Flag. It's a shame it wasn't remastered (for people who missed it because of the new consoles)

BigEmil

Ubisoft is not going to risk releasing another AC game on a Nintendo console, after the disaster the Wii U versions sold.
And I understand them, it was so not worth it, you can't say they didn't try.

For reference :

xjpkUvO.png

3rd point was "Wii U owners need to buy Ubisoft games"

BHHtznu.png

Rayman and Rabbids games coming soon to Switch too Ubisoft support won't be like Wii U's

Harlequin

I'd rather have a full Ancient Greece setting but this will do too.

But maaaan, Ancient Greece would've been so much better.

Alexandria was basically a Greek city (far more Greek than Egyptian, anyway) and it was bigger and probably richer/more impressive than any of the big cities in Greece during their heydays. Not sure how well it'd lend itself to AC-style gameplay, though. It had a lot of wide streets and I'm pretty sure that the majority of its buildings weren't all that tall. Plus, the facades of many Greek-style monumental buildings don't really have much in the way of hand- and footholds. Though Alexandrian architecture was probably a bit more liberal with regards to ornamentations than the classical Greek styles, so who knows.

Not garbage, and they haven't if you've been paying enough attention recently to the info. They've not dropped it. At all. And they're not going too.

Despite the leak saying the exact opposite?

Must miss gaming. Nothing like memory walls and a trip to the 21st century to rip you right out of that 15th century Italy atmosphere. I was always willing to overlook the manufactured home feel of Ubisoft games just because of the settings. Nobody else uses those game settings. But I cant get past the 21st century garbage.

Top Bottom