• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows: Extended Gameplay Walkthrough | Ubisoft Forward 2024

Aion002

And if someone like him existed he was nowhere near a position of command because no warrior or general worth a damn would put honor in front of everything, especially during a war and especially against brutes like mongols.

Honor is fun for a speech to the masses or in private with friends, not when you have to win a war, especially not during those times where sensibilities were different than now and human life was even less worthy.

Ironically now that we have nuclear bombs and machine guns we try to fight with some actual honor code even if cunts like putrid dont give much fucks about that.
And that's why it's believable. Tsushima is a small island closer to Korea than to Japan, the Shogun probably didn't care much about it and the clans of Tsushima were probably way less war focused than everywhere else.

I like the idea that the Shimura clan and the other Tsushima clans were just naive and used only to fight bandits, so the concept of doing whatever they can to win, for them, was unthinkable.

Tsushima mattered so little to the Kamakura shogunate that they only cared to send their army 6 years after the invasion.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
And that's why it's believable. Tsushima is a small island closer to Korea than to Japan, the Shogun probably didn't care much about it and the clans of Tsushima were probably way less war focused than everywhere else.

I like the idea that the Shimura clan and the other Tsushima clans were just naive and used only to fight bandits, so the concept of doing whatever they can to win, for them, was unthinkable.

Tsushima mattered so little to the Kamakura shogunate that they only cared to send their army 6 years after the invasion.
Not being experienced is different from being literal morons that lose their land and life to save the honor, sorry it's just hard to buy.

Even the videogame clearly depict the uncle like a naive moron at the end of the day.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not being experienced is different from being literal morons that lose their land and life to save the honor, sorry it's just hard to buy.

Even the videogame clearly depict the uncle like a naive moron at the end of the day.
It's not unheard of. Even in modern times, look at Ghandhi. Could have stopped being a pacifist and defend his people, but instead, gave up the guns to those who mowed them down.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's not unheard of. Even in modern times, look at Ghandhi. Could have stopped being a pacifist and defend his people, but instead, gave up the guns to those who mowed them down.
Gandhi was a pacifist, samurai were not pacifists, even in the game they try to fuck up the mongols so it's a false equivalence.

I can accept the plot because they try to copycat old samurai movies but i can't avoid to cringe every time uncle honor open his fucking mouth :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gandhi was a pacifist, samurai were not pacifists, even in the game they try to fuck up the mongols so it's a false equivalence.

I can accept the plot because they try to copycat old samurai movies but i can't avoid to cringe every time uncle honor open his fucking mouth :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
If you have an isolated belief structure.

Maybe the mainland shogun thought, "let's leave those crazy hyper Buddhist samurai to their own little island."

"Bunch of kukus."

makaveli60

Doesn’t matter if it was realistic or not, at least it had a positive message and morals instead of the insane evil (yes what is behind this insanity is pure evil) shit most of AAA games are filled nowadays, AC Shadows among them.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Watched the Extended Gameplay - same junk animations and primitive mission structure of so many AC games in the past.

Kid calls you, walks back to quest giver that is….5 meters away.

Black samurai…no worries, after all he is “a samurai from a strange land”, perfectly normal thing.

You fight, kill two baddies, another two join the fight right after you killed their camerades. Why only then? Mystery.

DavidGzz

The more i watch this thing, the more i'm puzzled that they didn't went with just the female protagonist that can do both stealth and combat.

You never do a mission totally in brute mode in any ac, you always start with stealth and if things go wrong you fight, who the fuck play ac games as pure action games?

Dude can't even climb a simple wall, confirmed by joeraptor (hopefully he can still climb small walls because if not...)

I did that every time in Valhalla as the viking. Full frontal combat. And with the ability to run through doorways and throw little guys around and beheadings as a cherry on top, this is going to be a blast! If I feel like stealthing, I'll choose the girl. I'll most likely end up in a huge melee with her as well though lol

GymWolf

Gold Member
I did that every time in Valhalla as the viking. Full frontal combat. And with the ability to run through doorways and throw little guys around and beheadings as a cherry on top, this is going to be a blast! If I feel like stealthing, I'll choose the girl. I'll most likely end up in a huge melee with her as well though lol
Her combat looks more fun than yosuke combat so i'm probably gonna pick her most of the times.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
The more i watch this thing, the more i'm puzzled that they didn't went with just the female protagonist that can do both stealth and combat.
Come On Reaction GIF by Magic Radio

You know the reason why - because market research showed a large portion of gamers will refuse to play a game when the only character available is a woman (unless she is sexualized).

Kurotri

Yeah, that was weird. Is that how the developers view all black culture? He came from medieval Mozambicque and they put a hiphop beat on him?!
Honestly, and this is just pure conjuncture on my part, I think it's just a bad coincidence. From what I've heard so far the soundtrack in general seems to be a lot more "modern" than the traditional soundtrack one might expect, and that particular soundtrack just seems to be the default combat theme that plays when you have a boss battle. It would probably have played as well if Naoe was fighting instead of Yasuke. Not trying to defend them and I think the reaction is honestly funny and deserved, but I don't think they had this particular intention of "we have a black guy so we need hip-hop music!" so it's less that and probably more "they have a shitty soundtrack that doesn't fit the setting".

Last edited:

Toons

Looks pretty badass to me. The system of holding form to time for openings actually is really neat. The two forms of gameplay should offer plenty of variety and choice for the players.

Shame that culture war is taking precedent of the majority of reactions here. We need more our of the box stuff like this, and assassins creed could certainly use it. Otherwise its at risk of its own core premise becoming stale.

Toons

Oh be quiet, and I mean that in the kindest way possible.

Believe me when I tell you it's not up to you to tell me when I should and shouldn't be ok with a black character appearing in a videogame.

No one told you to do anything.

I just told you you'll be alright. And you will.

1 black dude out of 16 protagonists isn't a quota.

GHG

No one told you to do anything.

I just told you you'll be alright. And you will.

1 black dude out of 16 protagonists isn't a quota.

First of all this isn't about the whole series, it's this game we are talking about.

It's glaringly obvious that they wanted to attempt to cover all bases with this game from a DEI perspective, both in terms of the tone and in terms of how they have gone about marketing this so far. It's a box ticking exercise (hence the "quota" jibe), one female lead and one minority lead.

No fucks given to the setting, no fucks given to history and no fucks given to whether or not it will be appropriate from a tonal perspective (if them playing hip hop beats only while the black character was on screen doesn't give it away then I don't know what will).

And no, I don't have to be ok with crap like this, because this is certainly not how I want to be represented in any modern day media and it doesn't do myself or any other black people any favours. Shame on you.

Toons

First of all this isn't about the whole series, it's this game we are talking about.

It doesn't apply to this game either.

It's glaringly obvious that they wanted to attempt to cover all bases with this game from a DEI perspective, both in terms of the tone and in terms of how they have gone about marketing this so far. It's a box ticking exercise (hence the "quota" jibe), one female lead and one minority lead.

They arent covering all bases. They're just making a cool game about a pseudo legendary historical figure and an OC, the same thing they've done with every AC game up to this point. It doesn't magically become DEI just because the character in this case is black.

No fucks given to the setting, no fucks given to history and no fucks given to whether or not it will be appropriate from a tonal perspective (if them playing hip hop beats only while the black character was on screen doesn't give it away then I don't know what will).

I didnt here any hip hop beats, but hip hop beats aren't exclusive to black people and haven't been for a while. The Japanese love hip hop beats and out them in their own anime and video games.

As for the setting, that has always been nothing more than a backdrop to do cool video game stuff. No different than what they've been doing.

And no, I don't have to be ok with crap like this, because this is certainly not how I want to be represented in any modern day media and it doesn't do myself or any other black people any favours. Shame on you.

Im black, and getting to play as a legendary figure in feudal Japan sounds cool af to me. You dont have to be ok with it; but trust me you don't represent all black people. Or the Japanese, who also lovd using Yasuke and helped developing hip hop influenced beats for their works:

And I could go back further

I have nothing to be ashamed of. Yasuke is not a modern thing, his usage in entertainment isn't new. You decrying a single black characters presence as a diversity quota though? Boxing in a hip hop beat as being some black people only thing? Maybe you should reevaluate some of those things and peer into how the Japanese approach the same things.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It doesn't apply to this game either.

They arent covering all bases. They're just making a cool game about a pseudo legendary historical figure and an OC, the same thing they've done with every AC game up to this point. It doesn't magically become DEI just because the character in this case is black.

I didnt here any hip hop beats, but hip hop beats aren't exclusive to black people and haven't been for a while. The Japanese love hip hop beats and out them in their own anime and video games.

As for the setting, that has always been nothing more than a backdrop to do cool video game stuff. No different than what they've been doing.

Im black, and getting to play as a legendary figure in feudal Japan sounds cool af to me. You dont have to be ok with it; but trust me you don't represent all black people. Or the Japanese, who also lovd using Yasuke and helped developing hip hop influenced beats for their works:

And I could go back further

I have nothing to be ashamed of. Yasuke is not a modern thing, his usage in entertainment isn't new. You decrying a single black characters presence as a diversity quota though? Boxing in a hip hop beat as being some black people only thing? Maybe you should reevaluate some of those things and peer into how the Japanese approach the same things.

clown GIF

GHG

They clearly are.

It was present in the livestream:

16th century Japan, hip hop beats, pick one.

The way this "legendary figure" is being depicted here isn't accurate in the slightest, but no doubt you've clearly been indoctrinated by your surroundings so you'll just go along with "representation good" like an obedient NPC regardless of how off the mark all of this is.

I have nothing to be ashamed of.

Considering your stance on all of this, you certainly do. You're failing to recognise when you're being pandered to in the worst kind of way, and worse still, you're refusing to appropriately analyse the approach they've taken from an inclusion standpoint.

Please explain to me how hip hop beats are supposed to fuse with 16th century feudal Japan and why was that kind of music only present when the black character was on screen? What does all of that tell you?

Yasuke is not a modern thing, his usage in entertainment isn't new. You decrying a single black characters presence as a diversity quota though?

If you look at the question I was responding to "diversity quota" is very much the appropriate response. There's a right way for representation to be done, and a wrong one. Unfortunately this is very much in the camp of the latter.

There are also plenty of relevant and appropriate opportunities for black representation in media, but again, this isn't one of them.

But hey, maybe we should have had an innacurate shoehorned plot about a non-African native in AC Origins instead of Bayek's tale.

Boxing in a hip hop beat as being some black people only thing?

The gameplay reveal made it a "black person only" thing, not me.

Maybe you should reevaluate some of those things and peer into how the Japanese approach the same things.

Yeh, done the evaluation and Japanese people aren't too happy either. This is (clearly) not being made by Japanese people either. At least Mr woke-mc-wokeson over here is happy though.

Lokaum D+

This is all incredibly incorrect. He was given a house and had a salary and the local population even believed he would have been made a lord, but Nobunaga died before it could happen.

In addition, he enjoyed quite a privileged status being given a sword and carried Nobunaga’s weapons for comparison. Hideyoshi, Nobunaga’s successor was of a peasant background and carried Nobunaga’s sandals. It’s also said by sources that Nobunaga enjoyed conversation with Yasuke and there’s also a painting of a black man wrestling a sumo in front of a daimyo who is believed to be Nobunaga. This means the black man was Yasuke. It’s also believed by scholars that he was a bodyguard of Nobunaga due to his possible military background.

He wasn’t a pet. He was a dude in Nobunaga’s circle that the guy liked. That certainly makes him far more interesting than you claim.
Imagine doing a japanese AC and choosing a dude that is only relevant for the color of his skin instead of Miyamoto Mushashi, what a disgrace of a game for japanese ppl (and AC fans ) that are waiting years for a AC Japan just to play as a randon black dude that was someones servant.

Last edited:
Imagine doing a japanese AC and choosing a dude that is only relevant for the color of his skin instead of Miyamoto Mushashi, what a disgrace of a game for japanese ppl (and AC fans ) that are waiting years for a AC Japan just to play as a randon black dude that was someones servant.
Were you saying the same thing about Nioh, or you just made because it's a black person?

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
They should have just gone with Naoe. Ubisoft is deathly afraid of a mainline AC game starring only a woman.

Lokaum D+

Were you saying the same thing about Nioh, or you just made because it's a black person?
Imo both are bad choices, but since you are trying to label me as a racist, lets compare this two historical figures.

Willian Adans was historically ADVISOR of Tokugawa, the first English to sail to Japan, he directed the construction of the first Western-style ships in Japan, also was later part of Japan's approving the establishment of trading factories by the Netherlands. He became highly involved in Japan's red seal trade, chartering and serving as captain of four expeditions to Southeast Asia and He was recognized as one of the most influential foreigners in Japan during early 17th century.

Yasuke was Nobunaga retainer, he had 0 influence in Japan history, He did accompanied Nobunaga through his military campaign, after Nobunaga death Yasuke returned to Jesuits and thats it.

Now ask me, who i think make more sense to be a main character in a Japanese game that portraits "Japanese historical events" ?

AND Yasuke is present in Nioh games, in Nioh 2 you have a quest to fight him and apparently he is fighting to entertain Nobunaga, in the game we can see Nobunaga watching the fight from the background.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Gold Member
All i know is Ghost of Tsushima 2 is going to wipe the floor with this

Maybe, maybe not.

This game already has a shit ton of features beyond Ghost.

Like the stealth abilities, many of which are not in Ghost, like ability to swim in water and do kill from there, turning off lights to be in the darkness, even knocking out enemies like the civilians you saw.

Same with the seasons, clearly that isn't in Ghost.

So Ghost Of Tsushima 2 if anything has a lot to add on to for them to compete with this. I don't know if I'd be so quick to say "wipe the floor", AC Shadows with just a bit of the gameplay information already has a lot that Ghost doesn't have.

I'll buy both regardless, but I don't know if anyone should be so quick to dismiss this game.

Lokaum D+

Do you think reviews of this game will have points deducted because a western developer is making a Japanese game (GoT) or is that ok now?

Last edited:
Do you think reviews of this game will have points deducted because a western developer is making a Japanese game (GoT) or is that ok now?
This is odd. If anything the media is most likely going to rate it above average just because. It has all the checkboxes: boss female, token black character, asian setting for them to exploit, etc.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They clearly are.

It was present in the livestream:

16th century Japan, hip hop beats, pick one.

The way this "legendary figure" is being depicted here isn't accurate in the slightest, but no doubt you've clearly been indoctrinated by your surroundings so you'll just go along with "representation good" like an obedient NPC regardless of how off the mark all of this is.

Considering your stance on all of this, you certainly do. You're failing to recognise when you're being pandered to in the worst kind of way, and worse still, you're refusing to appropriately analyse the approach they've taken from an inclusion standpoint.

Please explain to me how hip hop beats are supposed to fuse with 16th century feudal Japan and why was that kind of music only present when the black character was on screen? What does all of that tell you?

If you look at the question I was responding to "diversity quota" is very much the appropriate response. There's a right way for representation to be done, and a wrong one. Unfortunately this is very much in the camp of the latter.

There are also plenty of relevant and appropriate opportunities for black representation in media, but again, this isn't one of them.

But hey, maybe we should have had an innacurate shoehorned plot about a non-African native in AC Origins instead of Bayek's tale.

The gameplay reveal made it a "black person only" thing, not me.

Yeh, done the evaluation and Japanese people aren't too happy either. This is (clearly) not being made by Japanese people either. At least Mr woke-mc-wokeson over here is happy though.

Hip-hop beats for a medieval African.

Totes "cultural sensitivities for modern audiences."

:messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

Tone deaf retards. All them grifters.

DavidGzz

Maybe, maybe not.

This game already has a shit ton of features beyond Ghost.

Like the stealth abilities, many of which are not in Ghost, like ability to swim in water and do kill from there, turning off lights to be in the darkness, even knocking out enemies like the civilians you saw.

Same with the seasons, clearly that isn't in Ghost.

So Ghost Of Tsushima 2 if anything has a lot to add on to for them to compete with this. I don't know if I'd be so quick to say "wipe the floor", AC Shadows with just a bit of the gameplay information already has a lot that Ghost doesn't have.

I'll buy both regardless, but I don't know if anyone should be so quick to dismiss this game.

It's so funny. People hating cause of the Yasuke and the fact that it's Ubi. Show the shinobi gameplay and say From Software made it and they'd be like, "finally a new Tenchu, looks so good!" And agreed, I'll buy both. You can play more than one game, just because another is better doesn't make another not worth playing.

Last edited:
It’s a buy for me as long as they play ‘Where da hood at’ when he’s smashing up Japanese shit (editing out the homophobic bit). Bonus points if the baddies are running at him screaming ‘waaahhhhhhh’ all the time.

It's so funny. People hating cause of the Yasuke and the fact that it's Ubi. Show the shinobi gameplay and say From Software made it and they'd be like, "finally a new Tenchu, looks so good!" And agreed, I'll buy both. You can play more than one game, just because another is better doesn't make another not worth playing.
Yeah, no. Anybody can look at this jank of a gameplay and realized this is no From Software game.

Top Bottom