• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows: Extended Gameplay Walkthrough | Ubisoft Forward 2024

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Lol, nothing you said contradicts my claim of Yasuke being Nobunaga's pet. If anything it reinforces it.
"Pets" aren't given houses, nor would have the locals thought that he would have been made into a lord. If he was simply a guy that Nobunaga's paraded around, he wouldn't have been given a house, let alone a salary. The term used for Yasuke's salary is also the same one used for the salaries of samurais throughout the Shinchō Kōki. He was an employee of Nobunaga, a servant if you will (like samurais were), not a pet. He worked for the guy.
You need to ask yourself, critically, why did Nobunaga take interest in him and position him such as he did?

It wasn't his intellect, his studious manner, his martial abilities or charisma. It's simply because he was black.

Ergo... he was a pet of a rich and powerful ruler. Him getting special treatment only further proves this.
Nonsense. One of the things Yasuke is most famous for besides being black is his incredible size and strength. It's said that he had the strength of 10 men. As I said before, there's a painting depicting a daimyo watching a black man wrestling and that man is thought to be Yasuke. Furthermore, Valignano found him in India were African men were traditionally sold as slave soldiers. What's more likely and what some scholars believe is that Yasuke was employed as a kosho (page) and bodyguard due to his massive size, strength, and likely military background.

The Yasuke was a super-duper warrior who destroyed armies belief is certainly exaggerated, but don't try to downplay who he was either because the sources utterly refute what you claim.

Last edited:

Aion002

Damn. I see all the reactions and I'm like...tough crowd. Now I haven't played Ghost, so maybe that's why but I think it's looks fine. Combat looks good, although I wish there was more gore and not only during that finisher.

The abilities of the female Shinobi looked great to me, the stuff you'd expect. Nah man, I'm liking what I'm seeing. I DO hope we get a option for Japanese voices though, but probably not, right?
In Tsushima the playable character can do everything that both Shadows characters can individually do on the fly, while the game has better animations, better enemy reactions and probably better controls.

Also, Shadows seems quite janky compared to Tsushima... A PS4 game...

In Tsushima the playable character can do everything that both Shadows characters can individually do on the fly, while the game has better animations, better enemy reactions and probably better controls.

Also, Shadows seems quite janky compared to Tsushima... A PS4 game...

Dude I dont think you have any idea how game developemt works, ghost of tsushima is paired animation where you are not really playing the game, it's simply give you an illusion of you playing, it's like old ac games and shadow of mordor games, it's not really dynamic, ac is not paired animation it's hit box a different beast you are comparing apples to oranges

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dude I dont think you have any idea how game developemt works, ghost of tsushima is paired animation where you are not really play the game, it's simply give you an illusion of you playing, it's like old ac games and shadow of mordor games, it's not really dynamic, ac is not paired animation it's hit box a different beast you are comparing apples to oranges
Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

Stafford

Dude I dont think you have any idea how game developemt works, ghost of tsushima is paired animation where you are not really playing the game, it's simply give you an illusion of you playing, it's like old ac games and shadow of mordor games, it's not really dynamic, ac is not paired animation it's hit box a different beast you are comparing apples to oranges

I've honestly no idea what you are talking about here. I did not play Ghost though, but I did play all older AC games. Which AC has this paired animation?

sendit

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

This isn't the route you want to take.

Last edited:
Dude I dont think you have any idea how game developemt works, ghost of tsushima is paired animation where you are not really play the game, it's simply give you an illusion of you playing, it's like old ac games and shadow of mordor games, it's not really dynamic, ac is not paired animation it's hit box a different beast you are comparing apples to oranges

I've honestly no idea what you are talking about here. I did not play Ghost though, but I did play all older AC games. Which AC has this paired animation?
Ac 1 to ac syndicate that's why they look good kinda like animated movie, hit box from ac orgins that why the animations don't look good as old ac games

Last edited:

Stafford

Ac 1 to ac syndicate that's why they look good kinda like animated movie, hit box from ac orgins that why the animations don't look good as old ac games

Got it. I understand what you mean now. I didn't play a lot of Origins but that combat definitely felt different than all the others, more freedom I guess? Less "automatic" and I vastly prefer more free combat.

"Pets" aren't given houses,

Errr... yes they are.

Some millionaire socialites in the US have bought fucking cars for their dogs. Rich people do this shit and Nobunaga was one of the richest people in Japan at the time.

nor would have the locals thought that he would have been made into a lord. If he was simply a guy that Nobunaga's paraded around, he wouldn't have been given a house, let alone a salary. The term used for Yasuke's salary is also the same one used for the salaries of samurais throughout the Shinchō Kōki. He was an employee of Nobunaga, a servant if you will (like samurais were), not a pet. He worked for the guy.

I think you're conflating the term pet with a slave. He wasn't a slave. He certainly was Nobunaga's pet. Anyone who is being honest reading the historical record of the guy can see that.

Nonsense. One of the things Yasuke is most famous for besides being black is his incredible size and strength.

Please provide an actual historical source for this, and not some fiction writer's romanticized BS.

This is nonsense and not part of the actual historical record at all. The actual historical is scanty at best. We have no idea what the actual Yasuke was known for, because there's very little historical record written about it.

There's a lot of fan-fiction, but not a lot of actual historical accounts.

It's said that he had the strength of 10 men.

Yes, because that's realistic /s.

You've clearly read works of fiction and confused them for historical fact.

As I said before, there's a painting depicting a daimyo watching a black man wrestling and that man is thought to be Yasuke.

"Thought to be..." are the operative words here. There is nothing we can use to validate this. It may have been a fictional painting of a black wrestler inspired by Yasuke or a fictional work depicting Yasuke.

I can draw a picture of myself piping a hot blonde. That doesn't mean I actually did it.

Furthermore, Valignano found him in India were African men were traditionally sold as slave soldiers. What's more likely and what some scholars believe is that Yasuke was employed as a kosho (page) and bodyguard due to his massive size, strength, and likely military background.

All based on conjecture and very little evidence to substantiate it. It's fan fiction.

You can layer an assumption based on a painting on more assumptions about the places where Yasuke first emerged and then claim those are accurate historical facts about his person. What we actually know about Yasuke is practically fuck all, other than he was a black man in Japan who fell into the favour of Oda Nobunaga for no other reason than his skin colour made him a novel curiosity in the region of Japan.

The Yasuke was a super-duper warrior who destroyed armies belief is certainly exaggerated.

It's not just exaggerated. Any claim that he was a warrior because he carried his master's sword is horseshit conjecture meant to romanticize the figure because people like the idea of Yasuke being much more than he very likely actually was.

Gaiff

Errr... yes they are.

Some millionaire socialites in the US have bought fucking cars for their dogs. Rich people do this shit and Nobunaga was one of the richest people in Japan at the time.
And what do millionaires in the US have to do with Japanese warlords from the 16th century? Did Nobunaga make a habit of giving houses to his pets? Then why would you assume this was the case for Yasuke? What's more likely, that he was given a house because some of Oda's employees did get houses, or that he was given one because he was a pet when Oda wasn't known to give houses to his pets? Did anyone at one point believed that Nobunaga would make another pet a lord?
I think you're conflating the term pet with a slave. He wasn't a slave. He certainly was Nobunaga's pet. Anyone who is being honest reading the historical record of the guy can see that.
Anyone who knows anything about him would know that he was a servant of Nobunaga. Hence why he was given a stipend and the word used for it was the same one used for Nobunaga's samurais. He worked for him. He wasn't a pet and not a single expert ever claimed that.
Please provide an actual historical source for this, and not some fiction writer's romanticized BS.

This is nonsense and not part of the actual historical record at all. The actual historical is scanty at best. We have no idea what the actual Yasuke was known for, because there's very little historical record written about it.

The Shinchō Kōki says this:

A black bōzu (黒坊主, kuro-bōzu) from the Christian country has arrived. He appears to be 26 or 27 years old. The blackness of his body is like that of a bull, and he is healthy and of fine physique. Moreover, he has the strength of more than ten men."
He was also 6' to 6'2" which was hilariously larger than the average Japanese man at the time, around a foot taller.
It's called hyperbole and is a figure of speech. It's very common in ancient texts. The dude also wasn't literally black as ink, was he? The point is that he was very strong.
No, these are all sourced. Just because you're ignorant doesn't make them ahistorical.
"Thought to be..." are the operative words here. There is nothing we can use to validate this. It may have been a fictional painting of a black wrestler inspired by Yasuke or a fictional work depicting Yasuke.

I can draw a picture of myself piping a hot blonde. That doesn't mean I actually did it.
And you have no idea how historicity works. Yasuke was the only black man at the time and this also validates the claim about him being huge and strong. Why would you assume all of this when the simplest explanation coincides with what is known about him? Nobunaga was also said to enjoy sumo. You're doing mental gymnastics to deny what's fairly obvious. Is it 100% Yasuke? No. Is it extremely likely? Yes. That's certainly much stronger than, "well, huh, maybe this and that" that you've been parading.
All based on conjecture and very little evidence to substantiate it. It's fan fiction.
How do you think historians work? You think everything is spelled out for them? No. They contextualize what they know and try to draw sensible conclusions from it. You have the nerve to say conjecture and ask for evidence, yet you're the one who called him a pet with fuck-all as evidence to back you up. You even went as far as to use American millionaires in modern times to make a point. That's a supposedly valid argument but a painting and the context of where Yasuke was found isn't and is conjecture? Sure.
You can layer an assumption based on a painting on more assumptions about the places where Yasuke first emerged and then claim those are accurate historical facts about his person. What we actually know about Yasuke is practically fuck all, other than he was a black man in Japan who fell into the favour of Oda Nobunaga for no other reason than his skin colour made him a novel curiosity in the region of Japan.
No, we in fact know more about him than most historical figures in Japan. What we do know about him is that he was a black man, was of large stature, and was also very strong. Nobunaga liked him a lot and kept him as a retainer and gave him a house, a salary, and a sword. We also know that he assisted Nobunaga's son against Akechi's forces.

A black man whom the visitor [Valignano] sent to Nobunaga went to the house of Nobunaga's son after his death and was fighting for quite a long time, when a vassal of Akechi approached him and said, "Do not be afraid, give me that sword", so he gave him the sword.

Again, nothing, and I mean nothing supports your claims of him being a pet. You have a mountain of evidence that completely debunks what you say and you're sitting here pretending like we know nothing of Yasuke. That he was fighting enemy forces with Nobunaga's oldest son also supports the fact that he had a military background because he was found in India where a man of his size and strength would have almost doubtlessly been a slave warrior.

Either provide legitimate counter-arguments or stop being dishonest. This is annoying because you got sources and context but ignore them in favor of your frankly completely wrong interpretation that not a single expert has ever supported. The only people who claim he was a pet are those who threw a hissy fit because he starred in Shadows. Suddenly, we got a bunch of Japanese historians.

It's not just exaggerated. Any claim that he was a warrior because he carried his master's sword is horseshit conjecture meant to romanticize the figure because people like the idea of Yasuke being much more than he very likely actually was.
He fought in at least one battle. That's certainly much more than the absolute nothing you have to support your stance.

So let's review the facts.

1. Yasuke was very tall and very strong
2. He was found in India where Africans were traditionally sold to be slave warriors
3. He was given a samurai's salary and employed by Nobunaga at least as a weapons bearer
4. He was given a house
5. The locals thought he would be made a lord
6. He was given a sword
7. There is a painting depicting a sumo wrestler fighting a black man who was very likely Yasuke
8. He took part in at least one battle, assisting Nobunaga's son against rival forces

With all of this, how can you seriously claim that we know "practically fuck-all" and conclude that he was just a pet? We know more than enough to debunk what you purport.

Last edited:
Errr... yes they are.

Lol what do you think sword bearer means

Hypnotoad

This is a moot discussion. Whatever Yasuke was in the historical record has nothing to do with his depiction in AC: Shadows, which honestly is hilarious for all the wrong reasons. As others pointed out, multiple aspects of the game (seasonal environment, architecture, interior design) seem poorly researched. People who defend this (likely mediocre) corporate product seem more passionate than the people at Ubisoft and the voice actors they hired.

Gaiff

This is a moot discussion. Whatever Yasuke was in the historical record has nothing to do with his depiction in AC: Shadows, which honestly is hilarious for all the wrong reasons. As others pointed out, multiple aspects of the game (seasonal environment, architecture, interior design) seem poorly researched. People who defend this (likely mediocre) corporate product seem more passionate than the people at Ubisoft and the voice actors they hired.
It’s no secret that the game is poorly researched. Ubisoft dropped the pretense of historical accuracy after Unity (or Syndicate).

One of the developers said that samurais and ninjas were from completely different worlds which is hilariously false since samurai was more like a social class and a shinobi was something someone did. Hattori Hanzo was both a samurai and a shinobi and a 10-second google search would have shown that. The "expert" they hired was more interested in homosexual boy-love than historical accuracy.

Hypnotoad

It’s no secret that the game is poorly researched. Ubisoft dropped the pretense of historical accuracy after Unity (or Syndicate).

One of the developers said that samurais and ninjas were from completely different worlds which is hilariously false since samurai was more like a social class and a shinobi was something someone did. Hattori Hanzo was both a samurai and a shinobi and a 10-second google search would have shown that. The "expert" they hired was more interested in homosexual boy-love than historical accuracy.

Agree. That's why I wouldn't bother stressing Yasuke's historical background so much - an interesting discussion in itself, but I feel the effort is wasted here. Most People already have made up their mind depending on whether they (want to) love or hate this game.

How do you think historians work? You think everything is spelled out for them? No. They contextualize what they know and try to draw sensible conclusions from it. You have the nerve to say conjecture and ask for evidence, yet you're the one who called him a pet with fuck-all as evidence to back you up. You even went as far as to use American millionaires in modern times to make a point. That's a supposedly valid argument but a painting and the context of where Yasuke was found isn't and is conjecture? Sure.

So you admit it's all conjecture and then go on to continue to claim it's based in facts.

The mere fact that this seems to be lost on you is pretty clear to me that I'm wasting my breath. If you genuinely think the formal discipline of recording history is about cherry-picking a meagre set of facts and just making up the rest, then I have nothing more to exchange with you.

You're ignorant and even worse, you think you really are speaking from an informed position. Dunning-Kruger at its finest.

Lol what do you think sword bearer means

Someone who carries their master's sword.

I know what it doesn't mean.... i.e. "super-fucking seasoned Samurai, able to mow down multitudes of trained-since-birth native Samurais after probably only a few years learning how to use a Katana". Pretty sure it doesn't mean that.

Last edited:

Gaiff

So you admit it's all conjecture and then go on to continue to claim it's based in facts.
No, I'm fucking not lmao. You didn't even know some basic facts such as him being strong and couldn't even tell what a hyperbole was.
The mere fact that this seems to be lost on you is pretty clear to me that I'm wasting my breath. If you genuinely think the formal discipline of recording history is about cherry-picking a meagre set of facts and just making up the rest, then I have nothing more to exchange with you.
This isn't what it is and you've provided no counter-argument that makes even an iota of sense. You seriously came up with American millionaires to justify your moronic stance as if Nobunaga made a habit of buying houses for his pets.
You're ignorant and even worse, you think you really are speaking from an informed position. Dunning-Kruger at its finest.
At least I know what hyperbole is and how to contextualize it. I also did enough research to know that Yasuke wasn't just a black dude in Japan. You go thoroughly schooled and your claim that he was just a pet has no leg to stand on and got utterly debunked. Sure, don't waste your breath because you have nothing of substance to say anyway.

Peace.

No, I'm fucking not lmao. You didn't even know some basic facts such as him being strong and couldn't even tell what a hyperbole was.

Yeah, as strong as ten-men, amirite?

Ashley Olsen Eye Roll GIF by Filmeditor

This should have been the clue your source was BS, but you missed the forest for the trees and went straight in to sup the Kool-Aid.

This isn't what it is and you've provided no counter-argument that makes even an iota of sense. You seriously came up with American millionaires to justify your moronic stance as if Nobunaga made a habit of buying houses for his pets.

Your reading comprehension is shit and you should look up what an analogy means.

At least I know what hyperbole is and how to contextualize it.

You really don't! As demonstrated by your belief that Yasuke the magical negro had the strength of ten men.

I also did enough research to know that Yasuke wasn't just a black dude in Japan.

Nah... you read some fiction and some commentator's conjecture and started calling it historical fact. Unlike you, I can tell the difference between historical facts and a historical commentator's conjecture.

You go thoroughly schooled and your claim that he was just a pet has no leg to stand on and got utterly debunked.

Lol, how mature. Claiming victory when all you've done is double-down on your own ignorance. You read some historical commentary and you think you're an expert in Japanese history. It's really rather bizarre.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Yeah, as strong as ten-men, amirite?

This should have been the clue your source was BS, but you missed the forest for the trees and went straight in to sup the Kool-Aid.

Your reading comprehension is shit and you should look up what an analogy means.

You really don't! As demonstrated by your belief that Yasuke the magical negro had the strength of ten men.

Nah... you read some fiction and some commentator's conjecture and started calling it historical fact. Unlike you, I can tell the difference between historical facts and a historical commentator's conjecture.
You don't even know what a hyperbole is. Might I suggest picking up a book sometime and reading it?

Lol, how mature. Claiming victory when all you've done is double-down on your own ignorance. You read some historical commentary and you think you're an expert in Japanese history. It's really rather bizarre.

You were presented with an avalanche of evidence that destroyed your stance and countered not a single argument. So yes, I do claim victory as not only you provided jack to back you up, but you refuted none of what I said either.

Last edited:

Someone who carries their master's sword.

I know what it doesn't mean.... i.e. "super-fucking seasoned Samurai, able to mow down multitudes of trained-since-birth native Samurais after probably only a few years learning how to use a Katana". Pretty sure it doesn't mean that.
Lol do you even know Japanese history sword bearer is samurai

I'm all up for diversity but a black guy and a pronoun hunting looking small girl is just not right for this kind of setting.
I mean of course people like that existed in the setting but I was thinking more like a got character.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Then again I don’t understand why you guys argue about this - AC is popcorn entertainment, we always knew Ubisoft will make it as dumb as possible, for them what matters is a setting and nice vistas, not historical accuracy. So yes, they too COOL SAMURAI AND COOL NINJA, injected their woke nonsense and probably terrible game design and called it a day. It will still sell very well.

Then again I don’t understand why you guys argue about this - AC is popcorn entertainment, we always knew Ubisoft will make it as dumb as possible, for them what matters is a setting and nice vistas, not historical accuracy. So yes, they too COOL SAMURAI AND COOL NINJA, injected their woke nonsense and probably terrible game design and called it a day. It will still sell very well.
Sell well today is not the same as last gen. If the development costs double or triple that of Valhalla, they need to sell 3x as many copies which is not realistic. This ain't GTA.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Tbf i think that a black, tanky samurai and tsushima depicting samurais like absolute morons ready to lose their land to save their honor are both equally hilarious to me.

Not sure why people think the writing in that game is actually good when it's rolling eyes after rolling eyes everytime the cunt mouth uncle say something.

I get it, they are trying to copycat black and white samurai movies, but it was still ridicolous to me seeing grown men discussing about honor during a war against the most honorless enemy you can find, samurai were nowhere near as honorable in real life if they were figthing a war.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm rewatching the gameplay again, notice how they programmed every npc to stop whatever they're doing, step aside and bow to Yasuke. Imagine how annoying that gets after walking around for 10 minutes.

I just love how he rolls up to some other samurai and without questioning anything you know they are corrupt because some old lady told you and you get a massive immersion-breaking HUD prompt that basically says "THIS GUY IS EVIL LOOK AT HIS EVIL FACE" and immediately the only course of action is to brutally beat them to death with a huge club. There's no investigation, no dialogue, no context. You just walk up and obliterate them.

And then you reach the guy who stayed static during the entire fight so the canned animation can play where he pushes a peasant (or something?0 to fight you and you actually fucking skewer him like a shish kebab lmao, aren't you supposed to help this guy? Notice how the enemies don't actually draw their katanas but they just magically spawn in their hands. The animations are so sloppy, there's zero improvement here.

Also wouldn't that cause a huge war btw in actual feudal Japan if a Samurai walks up to another group and just bodies them out of nowhere?

The entire Yasuke segment is just ridiculous.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

More footage of the enviroment.

Some of the cloth animations seem to be updated out of sync with the framerate.
Hopefully this gets cleaned up before release.
Uneven updates on character is something that can make the game seem choppy and have you scrouring your ini files and recorded benchmarks for hours, only to find out the issue is engine ingrained.

Man the Naoe gameplay looks amazing.
So glad I skipped Valhalla, I had my fill of AC games after Origins and Odyssey, the break has made me excited for AC again......all in with this one.
Dynamic lighting will help so much.

Damn now cant these cunts just hire Michael Ironside and make a damn SplinterCell game?

I thought the trailer from a couple of days ago looked fairly solid but this gameplay walkthrough convinced me otherwise...

Combat animation looks weird with a stiffness to it I find jarring though I like the finishers (which are always dope in AC) and appreciate the destructable elements in the environment. Yasuke looks unbelievably out of place, "historical records" be damned, it's clear an agenda is being pushed but we already knew that. Naoe voice actor is trash (Yasuke much better).

Visually, Ghost of Tsushima is much more impressive and I'm talking about the PS4 version (a 4 year old game), nevermind PS5/PC. As I said in the other thread, GoT 2 will make this look like utter dog shit in comparison. Combat in Rise of the Ronin makes everything shown here look weak, I mention this game specifically for obvious reasons, both are open-world samurai/Ninja games during unique periods in Japanese history that release(d) this year. It goes without saying Ronin didn't have anywhere close to the budget this has but when it's all said and done I'm confident Ronin will be deemed the superior game by anyone with a brain and two functioning eyes.

Then we can get into funny inconsistencies like cherry blossoms blooming while persimmons are in season (literally opposite times of the year). Having lived in Japan for many years now I'm conscious of the seasons so this sort of thing is quite funny though it's not a huge deal, I accept it's a videogame. However, comparing it to something like Ghost that *didn't* have these issues it stands out all the more so Ubi doesn't really have an excuse, this isn't hard to execute.

This was never day 1 but the more I see the more I think wait until it's $20 if I even decide to play it at all. My purchase is irrelevant though, will sell millions of copies.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The more i watch this thing, the more i'm puzzled that they didn't went with just the female protagonist that can do both stealth and combat.

You never do a mission totally in brute mode in any ac, you always start with stealth and if things go wrong you fight, who the fuck play ac games as pure action games?

Dude can't even climb a simple wall, confirmed by joeraptor (hopefully he can still climb small walls because if not...)

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The voice actor for the samurai sounds exactly like Bayek from Origins. Anyone else pick up on that?

Made it six minutes in and I’m good. Same shit different year. Another bloated “historical” snoozefest.

Gaiff

The more i watch this thing, the more i'm puzzled that they didn't went with just the female protagonist that can do both stealth and combat.

You never do a mission totally in brute mode in any ac, you always start with stealth and if things go wrong you fight, who the fuck play ac games as pure action games?

Dude can't even climb a simple wall, confirmed by joeraptor (hopefully he can still climb small walls because if not...)
The girl does everything an AC protagonist is supposed to do. I thought they’d do something like make her really weak in direct combat to make it almost mandatory to use stealth so there would be incentives to use Yasuke. She can fight though do what does playing as the tank add?

Aion002

Tbf i think that a black, tanky samurai and tsushima depicting samurais like absolute morons ready to lose their land to save their honor are both equally hilarious to me.

Not sure why people think the writing in that game is actually good when it's rolling eyes after rolling eyes everytime the cunt mouth uncle say something.

I get it, they are trying to copycat black and white samurai movies, but it was still ridicolous to me seeing grown men discussing about honor during a war against the most honorless enemy you can find, samurai were nowhere near as honorable in real life if they were figthing a war.
Most samurais weren't honored at all, popular culture loves that concept, but in the reality, most samurais were just ready to kill whatever their feudal lord told them to. Honor simply didn't matter, specially during the Sengoku period (which was a periof of chaos in Japan).

Yasuke was bought by Nobunaga simply because Oda found him interesting. Yasuke killed and did whatever Nobunaga told him to do until Nobunaga's death, after it, Yasuke, probably feeling that he owned something to Nobunaga, tried to join Nobunaga's son, but ended up captured by Mitsuhide, who then killed Nobunaga son and ignored Yasuke, because in Mitsuhide asshole line of thought Yasuke wasn't worth killing.

99% of samurais and feudal lords during that period did horrible things and honor only appeared when it was convenient. However, they loved to pretend that they were honored all the time, so they made artists paint and write about them as dignified as possible.

The only exception to that rule was probably Nobunaga, dude didn't care, he did awful things and owned it like no one else.

However, on Tsushima defense, the first Mongol invasion happend in 1274, during the Kamakura period. A periond in Japan where Japan was transitioning to Budhism, there was also recently the conclusion of the Genpei war which ended up being the target of many stories about honor, self sacrifice and many myths... Basically, it was a period in Japan quite different from the Sengoku, so someone like Jin's uncle, being all about honor and stuff wouldn't be far fetched.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Most samurais weren't honored at all, popular culture loves that concept, but in the reality, most samurais were just ready to kill whatever their feudal lord told them to. Honor simply didn't matter, specially during the Sengoku period (which was a periof of chaos in Japan).

Yasuke was bought by Nobunaga simply because Oda found him interesting. Yasuke killed and did whatever Nobunaga told him to do until Nobunaga's death, after it, Yasuke, probably feeling that he owned something to Nobunaga, tried to join Nobunaga's son, but ended up captured by Mitsuhide, who then killed Nobunaga son and ignored Yasuke, because in Mitsuhide asshole line of thought Yasuke wasn't worth killing.

99% of samurais and feudal lords during that period did horrible things and honor only appeared when it was convenient. However, they loved to pretend that they were honored all the time, so they made artists paint and write about them as dignified as possible.

The only exception to that rule was probably Nobunaga, dude didn't care, he did awful things and owned it like no one else.

However, on Tsushima defense, the first Mongol invasion happend in 1274, during the Kamakura period. A periond in Japan where Japan was transitioning to Budhism, there was also recently the conclusion of the Genpei war which ended up being the target of many stories about honor, self sacrifice and many myths... Basically, it was a period in Japan quite different from the Sengoku, so someone like Jin's uncle, being all about honor and stuff wouldn't be far fetched.
And if someone like him existed he was nowhere near a position of command because no warrior or general worth a damn would put honor in front of everything, especially during a war and especially against brutes like mongols.

Honor is fun for a speech to the masses or in private with friends, not when you have to win a war, especially not during those times where sensibilities were different than now and human life was even less worthy.

Ironically now that we have nuclear bombs and machine guns we try to fight with some actual honor code even if cunts like putrid dont give much fucks about that.

Top Bottom