• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows: Extended Gameplay Walkthrough | Ubisoft Forward 2024

knguyen

Some more footage here for those interested.

at 1:57, his gun just magically teleport from his back to his hands, I'll be very surprised if these lazy MF bother to do the samurai sword sheathing animation like in Ghost. ( something I always do after a fight, it just looks so great)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
EqFfJUb.jpeg

The attention of details will be spectacular for japanese audience.

This is basic, basic fucking stuff, right here.

simpatico

Looks pretty badass to me. The system of holding form to time for openings actually is really neat. The two forms of gameplay should offer plenty of variety and choice for the players.

Shame that culture war is taking precedent of the majority of reactions here. We need more our of the box stuff like this, and assassins creed could certainly use it. Otherwise its at risk of its own core premise becoming stale.
Nah I’d like to see AC steering into realistic history. Give me the AC2-AC3 era stuff. Refine that version of AC with the same tone. What they’re doing is here is much more disposable and poppy.

Last edited:

Toons

I've never heard of an Assassin's Creed using non-traditional or themes outside the time period for a character. By this logic shouldn't this be applied to other Black Assassin's like Bayek or Adewale? Why Yaskue all of a sudden? And why can't Naoe get her own "modern" soundtrack?
Do we know the music never plays for naoe? I think there's more that needs to be seen.

Why does hip hop fit this games vibe more than traditional music like Ghosts of Tsushima?. What’s the major difference?.

First off, this is playing a Japanese influenced track with instruments generally found in hip hop like hi hats. As has been shown numerous times, this type of music has been used for a variety of Japanese projects, by the Japanese themselves, inside and outside of video games, for at least the last couple. There is no actual thing tying this to "black" culture aside from audience perception boxing it into that culture.

I checked to see who's behind this games music, and I dont have Twitter so I can't post a full link unless someone tells me joe to do that but I have the texts from a few tweets from ubisofts music department:

TKZdg9n.jpeg

So, they got am English band they've worked with, on both odyssey and black flag, a Japanese fusion genre band evidently from Montreal(but has multiple members from japan), and a hip hop artist. Its very clear they wanted a fusion of different genres to represent a mixing of tradition(both Japanese and from their own series) and modern elements, so it doesn't really feel like they are going for the same vibe as ghosts.

I dont think wither approach is the "wrong" one, and given the long history of this style of music from Japan I dont think japan thinks so either.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I dont think wither approach is the "wrong" one, and given the long history of this style of music from Japan I dont think japan thinks so either.
I agree with you. Also - when people are curious why the budgets are so big: THREE composers' teams. THREE.

pnc arena hockey GIF by Carolina Hurricanes

Three teams to make a soundtrack people will forget in a heartbeat.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's so funny. People hating cause of the Yasuke and the fact that it's Ubi. Show the shinobi gameplay and say From Software made it and they'd be like, "finally a new Tenchu, looks so good!" And agreed, I'll buy both. You can play more than one game, just because another is better doesn't make another not worth playing.
pee wee herman 80s GIF

Ubi can't hold a candle to From gameplay.

GymWolf

Gold Member
at 1:57, his gun just magically teleport from his back to his hands, I'll be very surprised if these lazy MF bother to do the samurai sword sheathing animation like in Ghost. ( something I always do after a fight, it just looks so great)
I'm more impressed by the fact that he can kill 3 dudes with a slow firing weapon before they even try to hit him.

Also the disgustingly glitchy death animations for the third kill...

IDappa

Do we know the music never plays for naoe? I think there's more that needs to be seen.

First off, this is playing a Japanese influenced track with instruments generally found in hip hop like hi hats. As has been shown numerous times, this type of music has been used for a variety of Japanese projects, by the Japanese themselves, inside and outside of video games, for at least the last couple. There is no actual thing tying this to "black" culture aside from audience perception boxing it into that culture.

I checked to see who's behind this games music, and I dont have Twitter so I can't post a full link unless someone tells me joe to do that but I have the texts from a few tweets from ubisofts music department:

TKZdg9n.jpeg

So, they got am English band they've worked with, on both odyssey and black flag, a Japanese fusion genre band evidently from Montreal(but has multiple members from japan), and a hip hop artist. Its very clear they wanted a fusion of different genres to represent a mixing of tradition(both Japanese and from their own series) and modern elements, so it doesn't really feel like they are going for the same vibe as ghosts.

Fair enough, just thought it was interesting you mentioned it suited this game more than traditional music in your original post. For no apparent reason apparently.

I thought the music was pretty cool tbh but can see why they used it, which the other poster already touched on. Also very interesting that the previous AC’s music usually stuck to the theme of the game.

Maybe, maybe not.

This game already has a shit ton of features beyond Ghost.

Like the stealth abilities, many of which are not in Ghost, like ability to swim in water and do kill from there, turning off lights to be in the darkness, even knocking out enemies like the civilians you saw.

Same with the seasons, clearly that isn't in Ghost.

So Ghost Of Tsushima 2 if anything has a lot to add on to for them to compete with this. I don't know if I'd be so quick to say "wipe the floor", AC Shadows with just a bit of the gameplay information already has a lot that Ghost doesn't have.

I'll buy both regardless, but I don't know if anyone should be so quick to dismiss this game.

Hard to disagree with your post (y)

Ghosts does have a lot to do to top this. They've made brilliant effort with the first one.

RyRy93

These are games that go out of their way to tell you they are telling stories inspired by real places, events and people but are very much fictional, who gives a shit if it looks cool?

VulcanRaven

Looks interesting but the robotic way of people walking on the streets kept bothering me. Also it was funny how he pushed them when riding a horse in the beginning. I didn't expect that to happen in a demo.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Looks interesting but the robotic way of people walking on the streets kept bothering me. Also it was funny how he pushed them when riding a horse in the beginning. I didn't expect that to happen in a demo.
Yeah the ncps animations looks so glitchy and repetitive.

I have no idea why they are not getting help from the watch dogs team, they usually have decent animations for the npcs.

SJRB

Gold Member

It’s typical AC jank that has been in these games from the very first and it’s ridiculous how they still haven’t solved this. I don’t know if it’s because they don’t know how or if they just don’t care.

The sloppy npc AI, the sloppy animations and the way the animations never really transition smoothly giving everything this unpolished, artificial feeling. NPC’s acting goofy and simulated is a huge immersion breaker in these games. That AI reaction to getting hit by the horse is pretty much identical in every game.

Acidjuice

Neo Member
Honestly a little surprised by this one, i was expecting normal AC shenanigans.

Framedrops looked iffy and combat looked like it could be a little slow depending on weapon choice but the game looks super sick.
The visuals are nice, I like Yusuke's voice actor, and that part where Naoe used that ball and chain was literal hype.
I like that they made the map a big city because the traversal looks pretty sweet in this one.
The samurai rap beat was for sure weird but not that offputting considering i've heard worse pop songs in good, popular games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom