• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

J4g3r

:(

WgYZWCn.jpg

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I've seen that. I'd like to think there's still one more performance patch at some point. Still seems to be a number of other game related issues that need to be rectified. Like I say, hopefully by the time I play it things are improved further.
Yea, I have no idea if they will implement any more patches. I'm just glad that they got the performance to run much more inline with an AC title(on last gen at least). Hopefully with Victory they'll bring the performance back up to par with AC4.

Eh, that's not too bad, even if it isn't ideal. AC2 certainly had some rough performance, especially in San Gimignano, which didn't stop it being out of my favourite games last gen.

Crowds still have some absurd model swapping going on though.
Yea I can't imagine what it would take to fix the crowd tech.

Man, with Edward and Adéwalé i felt like i was some bad ass assassin, the gameplay finally catching up with the themes of the series. In Unity i feel like i'm trying to navigate a bathtub through a broken city with spasming, schizophrenic mannequins everywhere. Arno is just worse at parkour (could be the city design?) than his past brethren and not nearly as efficient an assassin. The damn cherry bombs simple don't work half the time, and thematically are quite awful. The amount of glitches i've had when trying to hide around corner and take enemies out has been exhausting. 4 major patches and its still unfinished both in design and technical performance. This game is quite an unacceptable mess.

So far, this has been my least favorite of the entire series, i even enjoyed Liberation on the vita more as the lead was at least quite interesting. Assassins creed 1 certainly didn't age well, but i enjoyed my time with it when it came out and it was a fresh experience. Arno is simple quite unlikable, feel likes they were trying to just do Ezio again and failed. The story is poor, and told even poorer.

Trying to find things to like, the investigations are interesting though don't really seem to fit in line with Arno, and the Paris stories are certainly the best side quests we've had so far in the series. I enjoy being able to customize Arno's gear, but the obvious micro-transaction pressure for the 5 star gear is awfully transparent, and does not belong in a retail title. Also, anyone else think its really odd you just do this through a menu and not go to a store? I mean it makes sense with aniumus (or Helix i suppose now?) hokeyness, just takes a certain something out of it.

I have a love for the series and will finish as much as i can of Unity i'm sure, but 4 really brought me back and this entry has just undone all the good that Black Flag did. Ubisoft at their very worst.

Snookie

Well i just started playing it and got to paris and opened my social club. I saw that there was a gaf club that was full. Are there any other clubs that I could join that are active? I'm on ps4.

Also as far as performance goes its ok. When I was
breaking out of the jail
the framerate dropped huge and caused me to fall and desync. Next time it was fine, and its only crashed once. So i guess its not bad. It sure is a nice looking game though.

Crossing Eden

Is there a way to stop having the tips notifications pop up? It comes up every damn time after I hold R3 to remove or show hud.
Think there's an option in the options menu to turn tutorials off. Also you can set your hud to minimal so that you don't have to hold R3.

bryanee

Fooking hell, Initiates kinda updated for me. It still doesn't recognise all the AC games I've played and finished but its better than before.

Vizzeh

Banned
Having set aside any technical issues the game has, I have revisited it on patch 4, it does seem smoother, crowd pop-in for me is better and I am not noticing as much clothing popin/flickering.

Only noticing some LOD issues and perhaps general animation transitions seem rushed and just "off" with fighting combo's not seemingly as fluid as it should be, which do pull me out. Although I find general transversal fairly decent with downward movement particularly welcome.

However, I do not know if I am burnt out on the series or this game (I find that hard to believe since I am only on chapter 4) But I am bored... can I expect perseverance to be rewarded with a good story further on? I am finding the general gameplay of block, counter at this early stage to be tedious (can I expect improvements?)

I am not sure if I am being harsh as I have just went back for a PC playthrough of darksouls and thought I would give the game a go with the latest patch talk, general action mechanics or even satisfaction are not on the same planet (apart perhaps 1 move which was quite thrilling, the running kick to the knee and blade kill, nice!)

I feel I am loosing brain cells playing, it sure does look great (everything on Ultra @mostly 60 with a highly oc'd 980) with lighting absolutely stunning in places alongside nice clothing textures, can anyone share a similar perception that counters my apparent monotony I am experiencing? that could recommend continuing or should I do something pro-active and free up some disc space?

Crossing Eden

Having set aside any technical issues the game has, I have revisited it on patch 4, it does seem smoother, crowd pop-in for me is better and I am not noticing as much clothing popin/flickering.

Only noticing some LOD issues and perhaps general animation transitions seem rushed and just "off" with fighting combo's not seemingly as fluid as it should be, which do pull me out. Although I find general transversal fairly decent with downward movement particularly welcome.

However, I do not know if I am burnt out on the series or this game (I find that hard to believe since I am only on chapter 4) But I am bored... can I expect perseverance to be rewarded with a good story further on? I am finding the general gameplay of block, counter at this early stage to be tedious (can I expect improvements?)

I am not sure if I am being harsh as I have just went back for a PC playthrough of darksouls and thought I would give the game a go with the latest patch talk, general action mechanics or even satisfaction are not on the same planet (apart perhaps 1 move which was quite thrilling, the running kick to the knee and blade kill, nice!)

I feel I am loosing brain cells playing, it sure does look great (everything on Ultra @mostly 60 with a highly oc'd 980) with lighting absolutely stunning in places alongside nice clothing textures, can anyone share a similar perception that counters my apparent monotony I am experiencing? that could recommend continuing or should I do something pro-active and free up some disc space?
Game picks up around sequence 6, when Elise shows up that's when the plot gets interesting and starts including more obvious twists and subtle hints. It's a very good story imo, it's not bloated and not as grandiose as saving the world, it's personal.

Putty

Thinking about picking this up, and was wondering - does it run better on PS4 or XB1?

I think they are close by all accounts. It's one of those games that is just difficult to recreate the same experience on multiple platforms, outside of scripted cutscenes.

glaurung

So... I finished the main campaign last night and here are some thoughts about it. Plus some ideas why I think the next game (Victory) might benefit from Unity's ideas.

What I ended up liking.
  1. Assassination missions take liberties, but benefit from them. There are some good, almost Hitman-esque hits during the second half of the game. Even though I did not care about the people I was killing, the setups and infiltrations were top notch.
  2. Some of the best cut scenes in a long time.
But here's a list of things what irked me.
  1. No villain I would appreciate. For all the story the game's main campaign did have, I felt nothing for the main villain.
  2. Arno is the Scarlet Pimpernel. Now this is something that I downright loathed by the end: no good assassin costumes in Unity. Arno's Master Assassin Costume (that you unlock once you complete sequence 12) is simply a Napeolonic officer outfit with a hood. All top end gear looks ridiculous. I ended up going with the Legendary Phantom set for stealth bonuses. And that thing has a freaking huge feather on the hood. How is that stealthy? In the end all the costumes are way too flamboyant and I felt like a jester running around Paris.
  3. Money is not an object. And it sucks. What does this mean? It means that mid-tier gear is fucking pointless. Why should I purchase some low-end Improved Bracers when I can wait at the coffer for some minutes and then buy the legendary tier item? Stupid economy, really stupid. Same goes for weapons and upgrading.
  4. Glitches galore, even with the last update. PS4 version. Funny cases of pop-in. Shadow people (NPCs that pop in without any textures). Multiple personality NPCs (bugged LoD depending on camera angle).
  5. Was there a downgrade..? I cannot put my finger on it, but after the latest update, the game looks... blander on PS4. I mean, they definitely toned something down, but I cannot figure it out right now. Might try deleting all update data and doing some offline comparisons at some point, but right now it feels like the game has lost its edge. When I first popped the disc in (first update), the game had a very distinct look and light. And now it is gone. Less reflections perhaps? An added blur effect on Eagle Vision? Or maybe it is all in my head.
  6. The companion app is still broken for me. Fuck the companion app.
  7. Bad tutorials. Ground Execution move? Well, you can buy the skill, but you cannot actually perform it unless you also have the associated weapon skill. The game never tells you this.
But all the negative stuff aside, I think I would enjoy the Victorian London with this engine a lot more. Why? First of all, it would look like the movie From Hell. Second - I know a lot more about London of that time and I care more about London at that time than France. Plus I am confident that they will be able to pull the engine off a lot better the second time.

After unlocking some of the outfits, I really miss the different weapons we had in previous games like throwing knifes and a dagger across the back.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
If anyone wants PS4 GAF to win the club competition, I find that messing around with the red dudes during the Heads Will Roll mission (recommend playing it solo so you can take as much time as you want) is a good way to rack up Creed points. I went through it once, doing the last section (in the graveyard) twice by dying after clearing out most of the guards. Special assassinations get you almost 400 points a piece. Synchronized assassinations would get you even more. Lift kills can earn you something like 500 points. Even finishers (as well as perfect parry expert and staggering strike expert) get you 200 points, if you just feel like duking it out. I was able to bring our score up from 18,000 to 59,000 myself. Right now GAF is in second place, and the dudes in first are at 80,000 points. I think there are two or three days left in the competition.

Recall that you earn double the creed points while playing the missions listed on the club competition page. You can also increase your points by wearing legendary gear. Plus being in the GAF brotherhood alone gives you a 20% boost.

Hey what's the name of the district/area for the building with the first puzzle you face? It's the one with the multi colored columns and stained glass windows everyone is screencapping. Really wanna explore it again since I've upgraded my gpu.

Hystzen

Just picked this up other day and applied Gaf brotherhood on PS4 but saying too many applications. Enjoying game I'm ignoring health upgrades as it really makes you weaker but with planning can overcome any situation

bryanee

You know what's a greeeeat idea? Removing the human shield option and giving every fucker a gun who shoot those old ass guns with amazing accuracy from great distances. Urgh.

Hey, they finally gave up and unlocked all the gold chests for everyone.

Hello Initiates,

We have taken the decision to place AC Initiates in a continued state of maintenance during the holiday period.

The reasoning for this is to minimize the effect from outages to your experience during this time, as well as to allow us work on ensuring the technical stability of the platform.

Although AC Initiates will be in maintenance and thus unavailable to access via the web or console browsers, all gold Initiates chests are now unlocked in game for online players. You will receive an in game error message when attempting to access the ACI website from in-game due to the maintenance. This is expected behaviour, and will be addressed in a future update. However, you will have unrestricted access to all the chests with the golden ACI crest and the rewards within them.

Please note that you won't be able to access the gold Initiates chests if you are playing offline.

Finally, we want to thank you for your continued passion and feedback. We hope you have a pleasant holiday period.

The AC Initiates team.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/981770-AC-Initiates-Status-Read-the-first-post

Now, if only they would unlock all the crap associated with the shitty companion app...

Creaking

the only thing i wanted was the altair costume, and they put it behind that god damn app.

Not only that, essentially the very last thing you'd get from the app. You have to wait through several pointless real-life days of your assassins doing "missions" to get it.

gilljoy

How's the pc version holding together at the moment?

I got a £15 voucher for amazon so I'm thinking of picking it up. Is it playable on AMD yet?

Lucifon

Got the game today on ps4. Just playing Arno as an adult, come down the stairs and there's a guy with an exclamation mark above his head looking at a book. When I go near I can't talk to him/ interact??

What's going on? I've tried restarting the game but still the same

EDIT - Had to delete my save and restart the whole game, works now. That's a serious bug.

Why is the audio quality so horrible in this game? Lots of effects sound muffled.

jwtsonga

Enjoying this game very much now, graphics are just insane quality on ps4, feels next gen. Framerate stays at 30 most of the time, very little glitches, not much pop in. I look forward to AC Victory, but probs for $30.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
When the game comes up with a prompt saying the mission is high difficulty does that mean you can't do it until later?
Because I am trying to do a main story mission but there is no prompt to start it.

malfcn

The fuck?
114mb patch.

Press Y for initiates update.
Please wait... Please wait.. Pressing B to cancel does nothing.

I press A and it goes to a black loading screen.

Unresponsive.
All I can do is hit the view button for the map. Control sticks and buttons did nothing.

Grisby

So...I'm trying to do a mission (sequence 2 memory 2) and it just says that the mission is too high a level, that I should go buy some skills and armor.

But...where do you buy this stuff? All the shops just seem to sell medicine and smoke bombs. I cant figure out for the life of me how to even get to an equipment screen.

edit- Now it's letting me play it, wtf.

So...I'm trying to do a mission (sequence 2 memory 2) and it just says that the mission is too high a level, that I should go buy some skills and armor.

But...where do you buy this stuff? All the shops just seem to sell medicine and smoke bombs. I cant figure out for the life of me how to even get to an equipment screen.

edit- Now it's letting me play it, wtf.

Its at the start screen under customization.

Grisby

The lighting in this game is crazy. Like, holy shit crazy. The cutscenes look really good as well.

Framerate seems messy though, as others have said. The game is giving me some strong AC1 vibes, which isn't a bad thing. All of the app stuff seems kind overwhelming, don't know if I'll try any of it yet.
Its at the start screen under customization.
Yeah, I hadn't got the tutorial for it yet. Problem was is that I couldn't start the mission to get to the tutorial. Maybe it had to do with PSN being down or something, I don't know.

Creaking

All of the app stuff seems kind overwhelming, don't know if I'll try any of it yet.

It really isn't worth your time. All you get besides flat Unity cash (and not a whole lot until the later app 'missions') are two or so weapons and a set of mid-level equipment, all of which will be underpowered by the time you manage to earn them. Besides that, the only thing worth getting is Altaïr's outfit, which will likely take nearly a month of waiting and punctual app-checking to get.

Grisby

It really isn't worth your time. All you get besides flat Unity cash (and not a whole lot until the later app 'missions') are two so weapons and a set of mid-level equipment, all of which will be underpowered by the time you manage to earn them. Besides that, the only thing worth getting is Altaïr's outfit, which will likely take nearly a month of waiting and punctual app-checking to get.
Wow, yeah, I think I will stave off of it. Seems like there is a good amount of stuff to do anyways.

So many people around. I don't think I've ever seen any other game with this many people.

Arno feels a little Ezio light and wham bam he's an assassin, which was a little funny. Not used to the free running yet and he feels a little sluggish, floaty at times. The drop down button works a lot better though.

malfcn

If only this generation could emulate the Animus better. I can over look the fps, but the loading is bothering me more. While playing, and 4 or of the 5 minutes of a session is loading..

Why a black screen? I miss the running around load screen.

So a friend got me this for Christmas. I'm not mad as she doesn't follow gaming in the slightest and didn't know about the issues and I didn't want to seem like a dick and make a big deal out of it and accepted it graciously.

Anyway, after a near 8 hour install, I finally got about an hours play in and I have to say, it's actually not all that bad. Maybe the patches have made it a much better game than it was at launch, but it's actually a nice evolutionary step for the series.

Free running needs a lot of work, it's still stuck between the old climbing mechanics while attempting to be more fluid. Combat is also the same, the reaction time is still stuck in AC2 whereas the whole system needs to be overhauled to make full use of the more fast paced combat that's on offer here.

The game world itself is incredibly well realised. Almost rivalling GTA5 in some aspects. There are still some frame rate stutters and I've noticed a lot of pop in which make it very clear their ambition got the better of them.

I think next years Assassins could be something very special indeed if they can fix the issues with Unity. Although I would prefer they take a break and work on overhauling everything to make sure their ambition doesn't get the better of them again...

So unless I'm doing something wrong, I cant start the mission right in the beginning as soon as you get control of adult arno after the "chase." The guy during the cutscene said to talk to the butler for chores and I saved the game last night.

Booted up today and I go to talk to the butler where the "exclamation" icon is and theres no prompt or anything. Am I doing something wrong or is the game still fucked up?

Even restarted the PS4 and everything.

ComputerBlue

Gold Member
Can someone explain this garbage to me please.

I'm in Paris and I can't start sequence 3, memory 1 because I'm not a high enough level.

Nearly every mission and district is too high so it tells me to upgrade my stuff, which I can't do if I don't have the money etc.

Now the only missions available to my level are related to social clubs with 1 star ratings. Are these social club missions online only or something? Because when I go up to the mission I get absolutely no prompt to do anything.

Feeling stupid here like I'm missing something very obvious.

Edit: Now I just can't chose any mission, be it my level or not there's no prompt when I go up to anything. This is ridiculous.

Edit 2: So turning off connection to PSN seemed to have do the trick, which is funny since I'm not signed into psn as it's down.

MrBS

Whoever is running the neogaf club on PC. Let me in!

Game still crashing semi regularly but I shall persevere. So beautiful.

Denton

Finished the game today! The main campaign that is. Did about half of the other stuff and my overall sync shows as 50%.

Anyway,

positives first:

- graphics, art style, lightning, crowds...incredibly insane (PC version). Most nextgen game yet, looks stunning and I loved just walking around the city and all those amazing interiors, taking in the sights. Fantastic atmosphere.

- rock solid stability, game did not crash once and I did not see any noticeable bugs (only started playing with 1.4 patch and omega drivers)

- good performance considering the insane graphics and crowds, never dropped under 30fps no matter what on high/ultra at 1080p

- pretty open mission structure, no stupid tailing missions that Black Flag was full of

- I liked both Arno and Elise

- lot of various equipment and weapons, good customizations

- some of the sidemissions were quite fun, the murder investigations, even if they were too easy

- I had fun all the way through, even if it was sometimes a bit frustrating

Negatives:

- TERRIBLE GUI in every way. Its only redeeming quality is possibility to hide it

- controls are still a bit finnicky, parkouring was amazing but sometimes making jump into window was a bit annoying

- I dislike how completely and utterly Ubisoft destroys their own atmosphere with incessant GUI messages about every little bullshit, not to mention the huge stat screen after finishing missions, not to mention that whole "meta game scifi bullshit" layer which is at this point so worthless and unnecessary (since it was resolved in AC3) that they should have dropped it already a long time ago

- story itself was a bit bland, very simple revenge story..the revolution wasn't as prominent as expected, frankly

- still overtly checklist design as in every Ubisoft game...they should get editors and make less busywork content, more meaningful one. NO FUCKING COLLECTIBLES.

On the whole, I would give 8/10, it is a great game, but I really wish Ubisoft would get over itself and get better designers of both gameplay and UI and dropped the scifi bullshit.

And Ubisoft should fucking create a proper RPG already. They have such good worldbuilders, it sucks that they keep making these same games again and again where no actual decision agency is possible for the player.

Dave1988

Does anybody know if patch 4 resolved the issue of gear becoming locked again? I lost access to some of the chest-tied gear and all Initiates chest-tied Legacy outfits and now I can't unlock them since the chests have already been opened in my game. I wouldn't mind starting the game all over again to re-unlock them but only if I'm sure that the same thing won't happen again.

Lucifon

Why is the audio quality so bad in this game? Footsteps sound horrible, so do smoke bombs. It's like they're a crazy low bitrate. Muffled almost. Voices are fine. Ps4 version.

Top Bottom