• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Mogwai

I don't know if this is commonly known, but Initiates is borked completely atm. I was able to open all Initiates-bound chests and get Ezio, Connor and Shay's outfits, even though my level is only 5.

No idea if the outfits disappear when Initiates get back up running.

Tugatrix

My review:

Pros:
Map
Characters
Graphics

Cons:
Bugs
Story(very weak)
No revolution (was presented but just like something happening in the background, it got no influence on game story)

Spades

When I set a waypoint on the companion app, it does not show in the game. I take it this is yet another bug that hasn't been addressed yet?

mid83

I ended up renting this game on Gamefly for PS4. I'm in the cathedral right now (2nd mission of sequence 2) and I haven't really run into any major framerate drops yet. Either I haven't hit the bad part, I'm lucky, or the patches actually helped.

I can't help but feel somewhat surprised so far.

Mogwai

When I set a waypoint on the companion app, it does not show in the game. I take it this is yet another bug that hasn't been addressed yet?
Try a couple of times. Delete the waypoint on the app and place it again. That seemed to do the trick for me.

Spades

Try a couple of times. Delete the waypoint on the app and place it again. That seemed to do the trick for me.

Nope, it's never worked for me. Just tried that and it still doesn't show on the map in-game. It's really annoying - I play this with a friend and one of us normally navigates with the iPad, so it not working is a pretty big deal for us :(

malfcn

So I restarted since I started a month ago, and waited for patches.
I'm on the 4th mission and a little lost.

"Hey it's Sivert! He killed so-and-so!"
In a previous mission you see him do it, but I never heard his name or knew who did it until now. Not sure if Arno truly saw who did it. Did I miss something, or does it just progress that way?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So I restarted since I started a month ago, and waited for patches.
I'm on the 4th mission and a little lost.

"Hey it's Sivert! He killed so-and-so!"
In a previous mission you see him do it, but I never heard his name or knew who did it until now. Not sure if Arno truly saw who did it. Did I miss something, or does it just progress that way?
He's the guy who calls the guards for help and blames you. He wasn't wearing his hat and was bloody so it was a bit hard to recognize him. Arno briefly sees a glimpse a him.

malfcn

He's the guy who calls the guards for help and blames you. He wasn't wearing his hat and was bloody so it was a bit hard to recognize him. Arno briefly sees a glimpse a him.

Right, but the next time we see him we know his name and recognize him?
And before that, we just know where to go to find the Brotherhood? I would have liked to have some reason to know to go to that chapel.

And why are the assassins so cool with you being upset that a
Templar assassinated a Templar?

Crossing Eden

Right, but the next time we see him we know his name and recognize him?
And before that, we just know where to go to find the Brotherhood? I would have liked to have some reason to know to go to that chapel.

And why are the assassins so cool with you being upset that a
Templar assassinated a Templar?
Two years pass between the
hallucination sequence
. The assassins keep tabs on who's who in the templar order. The amulet that Bellec gives Arno contains a hidden symbol on it that shows the window to the chapel that can only be seen with eagle pulse. And the assassins aren't cool with it. They briefly scold Arno for trying to pursue a personal vendetta during the scene
where he says he wants to kill Sivert.

malfcn

I guess I missed the pulse part with the window. Sometimes I just need to go with the flow since it's a game. Just big jumps like that take me out of it.

Like Elise knowing that I took the letter from the messenger and failed to delivery it.

Crossing Eden

I guess I missed the pulse part with the window. Sometimes I just need to go with the flow since it's a game. Just big jumps like that take me out of it.

Like Elise knowing that I took the letter from the messenger and failed to delivery it.
Remember that two months passed since you were put in prison, plenty of time for the original would be delivery guy to inform Elise. Just be sure to pay attention to the dates that admittedly, appear too briefly at the start of each mission.

malfcn

Remember that two months passed since you were put in prison, plenty of time for the original would be delivery guy to inform Elise. Just be sure to pay attention to the dates that admittedly, appear too briefly at the start of each mission.

I've followed the dates. Like I said, I should just go with it.
When it says track him down, and I just know where to go with no direction..that I must have learned off screen. :)

Crossing Eden

Bellec, to find that chapel. I'm past it now though. :)
This is how Arno finds it, Bellec gives him this amulet before performing the leap of faith. Arno looks at it.
LZXIBuK.png

Uses Eagle pulse to reveal the secret.
mEIOysT.png

And finds the building with that window that matches the window that matches the secret.
lvIPzAW.png

That's how he figures it out.

malfcn

I sort of remembered that. He still had to actually find the chapel though.
They could have done something with a sync point and you seeing it in the distance.
Just me being nitpicky though. So far I really enjoy Arno. My hands are still adjusting to the controls from playing all the AC12BR34 games.

malfcn

I got too distracted by other things so have to put it on hold again for tonight.
Completed the Graduation and need to do Confession, so I've caught up to where I was a month ago.

Looking forward to where to story goes, and to not try to sweat the details too much.
Sometimes these open world games get to me..I either play while tired, or get side tracked and then forget a few things.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet but the trophies for Dead Kings are now listed when checking out the Unity trophies.

Guessing it's release is fairly soon?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I sort of remembered that. He still had to actually find the chapel though.
They could have done something with a sync point and you seeing it in the distance.
Just me being nitpicky though. So far I really enjoy Arno. My hands are still adjusting to the controls from playing all the AC12BR34 games.

While standing on that roof where you examined the amulet, Notre Dame's very very similar windows are visible in the distance. That's a big enough hint I would think.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So i finished the main story and then stopped playing the game as I wanted to wait for them to do their "big" patches till I started collecting stuff. I noticed the Club Competition stuff has started, is there a Gaf Club to join? is anyone here taking part? I'd quite like to get the gear myself. I tried applying to the existing Gaf Club but it said too many had applied even though it only has 34/50 members.

Maybe if this "thepandamovement" isn't playing it anymore we could start a new one for anyone still hanging around wanting to play? I don't mind starting one myself if no one can get into the original one, I'm not expecting to be going anywhere for a while, lol.

UCBooties

Wow, so...

I received the Assassin's Creed Unity XBox One bundle from my wife for Christmas. After taking about 24 hours to download and install Assassin's Creed Unity is unplayable. I am having terrible sound bugs where the sound will drop and stutter, the gameplay stutters, and then finally the game freezes entirely and requires a restart. I was having intermittent issues up until the escape from the Bastille. Now that I have completed that mission the game freezes after about a minute no matter what I try to do.

I can't find any way to check for updates or confirm the current version of the game. Obviously as this is a digital copy of the game replacing the disk is not an option. So far I have to say I am not impressed at all with AC:U or the XBone. Does anyone have any tips to resolve this issue?

Gbraga

Looks like I lost my save file :/

I was not that far into the game, I can get where I was fairly quickly if I rush through the main quest, but there's no way in hell I'll do all the side stuff I did >_<

Right when I was doing
the Marquis de Sade's side quests
:(

I don't know what my exact playtime was, but I'd guess around 20 hours?

ComputerBlue

Gold Member
Just a heads up.

Not sure if this is well known or if it's been mentioned here but I don't feel like going through the last few pages, I'm about to go to bed.

Anyway, noticed on uplay that if you wear the wildfire color you get a 50% bonus in cash, so whenever you are about to get some money
from the cafe theater
then swap into the red and you'll get a lot more moolah. You can use it on missions as well, but not really worth it unless they pay a lot.

Sioen

Huh? I just played the updated version for the first time and the difference is huge on xbox one. It actually feels 30 fps now except when you're at specific places with huge crowds.
Btw wow last time I played was at launch, that was a horrible experience but now it actually feels good and fun to play.

Looks like I lost my save file :/

I was not that far into the game, I can get where I was fairly quickly if I rush through the main quest, but there's no way in hell I'll do all the side stuff I did >_<

Right when I was doing
the Marquis de Sade's side quests
:(

I don't know what my exact playtime was, but I'd guess around 20 hours?

damn, which platform? i recently had something similar happen to me with my fallout 3 playthrough, i didn't lose the save file but i lost the ability to play the dlc 25 hours in, i restarted because i heard great things about fallout 3s dlc and i wanted to experience it

UCBooties

You just got an xbox 4 days ago. This games problems are inherit to coding not the console. If you want to believe so you'll hate ps4 just as much.

Taking 4 times as long as PC and PS4 to download and install items is an issue with the console not the game code. As is the inability to manually check for updates. Also, it reflects pretty badly on Microsoft that they chose a game this broken to bundle with their console for holiday sales.

Play some sunset overdrive, forza, D4....theres plenty of good stuff to play. All which wont be covered in 4 days

You just spent $350? Why not spend $60, $120, or even $180 more so your purchase can be worthwhile? I'll let the idiocy of this suggestion stand without further comment.

Huh? I just played the updated version for the first time and the difference is huge on xbox one. It actually feels 30 fps now except when you're at specific places with huge crowds.
Btw wow last time I played was at launch, that was a horrible experience but now it actually feels good and fun to play.

Sioen, how can you confirm if you have the patched version? I can't find anything in the game menu or system menu to check for updates or even check version currently installed.

I deleted the game and am currently redownloading to see if a fresh install addresses the issues.

dex3108

Environmental storytelling in some of the missions is really amazing thing. I just did
Giant Iscariotte
Paris Stories mission. Basically you talk with few poor citizens and learn that
Giant Iscariotte is taking their money and killing everybody who ignores him. Then you go to his house and kill him.
Then interesting part comes, while i was in his house i looked around and
on the Ground floor you can see room with big chair like throne surrounded with candles (http://i.imgur.com/miM4Xj7l.jpg) , on the First floor above the bed there are pictures of female person but turned upside down (http://i.imgur.com/6RezB1Pl.jpg) and on Second floor there is work room with another throne chair (http://i.imgur.com/VrxeLcBl.jpg). So they told the story of bad guy through environment and that is really great thing :D

diffusionx

Gold Member
I got this for Christmas and have put, I don't know, maybe 5-10 hours into it. I really like it! I'm playing it at, high/ultra high I guess, 1080p and probably 30fps for the most part.

Keep in mind I liked AC3 too. I think I'm on a different wavelength from the press/many AC fans. Compared to that game, this one is obviously smaller in scope (I *liked* the frontier and the homestead), but the depth of the missions in Paris is very nice. Arno seems like a better character than Connor. The combat is also quite good, it looks like Ubi just threw in the towel and ripped off Batman completely. It feels nice. So does getting away from enemies, thanks to them ripping off that last known position thing from Splinter Cell. Moving around is also better thanks to that fast descend.

So yea, nice game.

Dunan

Just started this game last night; it's my first real next-gen game and it is indeed quite stunning graphically. Getting an AC1/2 city vibe that is quite welcome after all that forest and beach exploration in the last two games.

Language question before I go deeper into the game: I can't speak French, but know enough to be able to follow along when there are English subtitles, and can even get the gist of it when seeing French in print, but can't understand it with just audio. I tried playing with French audio (because I miss the hammy local accents and don't like the generic British voices) but am missing out on all the crowd banter that has no subtitles. Is it worth continuing to play in French if you're a real beginner at français?

The game is finally playable after patch 4, thank God.
Sucks it has the vaseline smear of 900p on it though...I REALLY wish they'd fix this.
I do have to admit the story is a bit ridiculous in some aspects though as some people above have commented.
"Here take this cafe. Go find these murderers yourself, I'm too busy. Oh you can see people's memories? Nice."
I also don't like how Arno is expected to serve this council when no one else has had to deal with a council except for Altair - kinda.
Also the pop-in is a total buzzkill.
BUT, co-op is fantastic!
I hope there's a patch 5 where they fix some of the jankiness of combat/traversing/1080p.

Gbraga

damn, which platform? i recently had something similar happen to me with my fallout 3 playthrough, i didn't lose the save file but i lost the ability to play the dlc 25 hours in, i restarted because i heard great things about fallout 3s dlc and i wanted to experience it

PC. I only had a 250GB HDD until a couple of days ago, so I decided to get a 2TB one, my save backup didn't work, but who cares, right? That's what cloud saving is for.

Eeeeh, not really. Cloud save corrupted too.

It's ok though, I was really enjoying the game, most games I would just drop if something like that happened. The fact that I'm still willing to rush through the campaign without exploring alredy says a lot.

The game is finally playable after patch 4, thank God.
Sucks it has the vaseline smear of 900p on it though...I REALLY wish they'd fix this.
I do have to admit the story is a bit ridiculous in some aspects though as some people above have commented.
"Here take this cafe. Go find these murderers yourself, I'm too busy. Oh you can see people's memories? Nice."
I also don't like how Arno is expected to serve this council when no one else has had to deal with a council except for Altair - kinda.
Also the pop-in is a total buzzkill.
BUT, co-op is fantastic!
I hope there's a patch 5 where they fix some of the jankiness of combat/traversing/1080p.

Ironicaly, the game was ok on PC until patch 4, now it's a mess.

Crossing Eden

Just started this game last night; it's my first real next-gen game and it is indeed quite stunning graphically. Getting an AC1/2 city vibe that is quite welcome after all that forest and beach exploration in the last two games.

Language question before I go deeper into the game: I can't speak French, but know enough to be able to follow along when there are English subtitles, and can even get the gist of it when seeing French in print, but can't understand it with just audio. I tried playing with French audio (because I miss the hammy local accents and don't like the generic British voices) but am missing out on all the crowd banter that has no subtitles. Is it worth continuing to play in French if you're a real beginner at français?
Crowd banter is always in french. I don't speak french, so I can ignore the thought of them probably berating me as I do parkour.

Hystzen

I think best thing about game and what might have pissed people off is how they removed the filler missions from main sequences and made them Paris stories. It why main missions seem short as the extra usual assassins creed content is moved as side missions. They also great fun with some interesting plot chains the "fistful of duels " being one them was sure my game glitched when talked to person at start.

mogor

Just finished the game and solved the Nostradamus Enigmas. I really liked it, but I am a sucker for the franchise since the very first one. Can't believe that even after four patches co-op play isn't working properly. How can you mess that up so badly? Things lag for minutes, sometimes you can't move, sometimes you get stuck and have to restart. Really, really annoying. Also annoying: the controls. Going -into- a window never seemed to work, like at all, except for that one time when I needed to go around a window. Story, well, they've always been kinda contrived, but I thought it was fine for an Assassin's Creed game. The graphics were awesome, I just bought a new PC and was able to take full advantage of that.
I haven't finished a game in a long time, but Assassin's Creed always seems to be able to grab me and suck me into it's world. Now I need to go back to III (yeah, I heard about it...) and Black Flag.

Dunan

Played some more with patch 1.04; am I imagining things or do the graphics on the PS4 look a lot less sharp? Did they lower the resolution to improve the framerate or have I already gotten used to next-gen graphics?

Two crashes inside of a few minutes. One right as the introductory 18th-century mission ends (and you get a big Ubisoft Presents: AC Unity logo), and another after being killed in combat and desynchronizing.

Before I go further: is the game going to formally introduce you to the abilities that Arno has, or are you just supposed to pick up on them? At one point the game told me to use Eagle Vision, which someone who had never played an AC game would have no idea about, and later I discovered that I had some cherry bombs in my inventory and could throw them to distract guards. I'm trying to play this game in a more beginner-ish way after feeling like I spoiled Brotherhood by running around and doing all kinds of things out of order just because the game let you.

Paris is pretty impressive so far. I'm trying to avoid spoilers; just taking things as they come, but as for the modern-day story: is there any more of it beyond the woman who talks to you after the 14th-century prologue? Are you still playing the Abstergo employee in Black Flag or are you someone using an Abstergo product at home this time?

Loving the game so far. Very few bugs, the only one I seem to be getting repeatedly has been my controller no longer being detected in the game. It seems to be links to whenever I try to access Initiates within the start menu.

Agh, Black Flag runs fine on my PC, but this is unplayable. D'you know what the chief limiting factor might be - CPU or graphics card?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
8GB DDR3 1333mhz (1x8GB)
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

Skux

Loving the game so far. Very few bugs, the only one I seem to be getting repeatedly has been my controller no longer being detected in the game. It seems to be links to whenever I try to access Initiates within the start menu.

I got that bug too. If you go to your map and fast travel you get control back again.

mogor

Agh, Black Flag runs fine on my PC, but this is unplayable. D'you know what the chief limiting factor might be - CPU or graphics card?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
8GB DDR3 1333mhz (1x8GB)
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

That's really weird. Game ran fine for me and I've got the same CPU, 16GB of RAM and a GTX 760. I started on 1680* resolution with all settings on High, bought a new TV, though, and ended up playing on 1920* on High. Except for a few hitches here and there, the game ran perfectly fine. Are you sure you're running the latest patch? Newest drivers? Another thing that comes to my mind, but I'm not sure how much it matters: did you install the game on a SSD?

Top Bottom