• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Moved to the Atlanta area from Florida and jesus christ. Roaches apparently are a huge problem around here in comparison. Gonna pick up some boric acid and other traps to deal with these little assholes in my apartment.

giga

Moved to the Atlanta area from Florida and jesus christ. Roaches apparently are a huge problem around here in comparison. Gonna pick up some boric acid and other traps to deal with these little assholes in my apartment.
No roaches at my place. More likely than not you have some nasty neighbors.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
No roaches at my place. More likely than not you have some nasty neighbors.

Yea this seems likely unfortunately. Signed up for my apartment complex's weekly spraying so we'll how that goes. Got a 30 day timeline to dip out of this apartment if it becomes too much of a hassle.

That was an eye opener for me. One thing that helped at my apartment was that I asked them to seal the door better. There was a gap on the bottom that allowed air and insects to get in. Once they put on better weatherstripping the problem went away.

Pancakes

Had the same problem and they fixed my doors pretty quickly. Problem is the previous tenants must've been idiots or not used shower curtains because some wood in the bathroom is warped causing small gaps. Gonna ask them to recaulk those areas before I start going nuclear. Or maybe just do it myself.

Ronin

Are they roaches or those giant waterbugs from outside? If it's those, it's also a good idea to plug up your sinks and bath drains at night.

Pancakes

Are they roaches or those giant waterbugs from outside? If it's those, it's also a good idea to plug up your sinks and bath drains at night.

Not sure, but I have started wiping up/plugging my sinks and bath drains and (fingers crossed) haven't seen any of the bastards yet.

Ronin

Not sure, but I have started wiping up/plugging my sinks and bath drains and (fingers crossed) haven't seen any of the bastards yet.
Yeah, if your building has a lot of shrubbery or trees, that's where they will come from. You just won't see them until after dark.

Hey guys. So I'm about to graduate college in May and I have some job offers ready to go. One of them is located in Roswell. If this job is offering $60K a year, would I be able to live within the region comfortably? What are generally the best places to live? Am I better off staying in the Northeast?

I guess in other words, try to sell me on Atlanta.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
It's been so awful this year that my front porch is yellow. All those pine forests they create for harvesting.

BrettWeir

Hey guys. So I'm about to graduate college in May and I have some job offers ready to go. One of them is located in Roswell. If this job is offering $60K a year, would I be able to live within the region comfortably? What are generally the best places to live? Am I better off staying in the Northeast?

You'll find that as you go further N/NE, the better cost per dollar you will get on housing. 400 isn't that bad if you go before 7 or 8 AM.

If you're looking for apartments and don't want to bother with driving in our awful traffic, you could always try to get a place near the MARTA. North Springs station has a ton of apartments by it.

**Edit....one of my employees makes a $64k/year salary. He just bought a brand new home (he got to pick everything like floors, paint, counter tops, appliances, etc) in Cumming, 3400 sq. ft. And he's single. So $60k is easily doable if you head N/NE a little. I live in Cumming as well. I leave for work about 5:30 AM and 400 is a cakewalk. Leave work at 3:30 PM and it's not that bad either.

GulAtiCa

60K is perfectly living salary here in Roswell. I make about 70k and own a Town House (near the Walmart off of Mansell) and still am able to put away in savings/future/etc. Granted, I lived with my parents in my mid 20s to save for this.

But yeah, you should be able to live comfortably quite well. Look around, some good areas that are not expensive.

Just a warning, traffic in morning/after work on week days (Esp HW92, little bit of Mansell) is rough. If you can, take back roads to work. It's what I do, so I avoid most of major traffic issues.

Bragged to my friends back in ATL that there's no pollen where I moved to only to end up in the middle of a fucking blizzard yesterday that dropped 16 inches of snow. That'll teach me.

Tarkus

Ha! The pollen count is 10000 today in South Georgia, which is where I'm at for the next few weeks. You can literally see it in the air.

Kaladin

Ha! The pollen count is 10000 today in South Georgia, which is where I'm at for the next few weeks. You can literally see it in the air.

Nope. Pollen count in Valdosta is 2100. Actually down from last weekend where it was 2650.

We've been high longer than ATL has been though.

Tarkus

Nope. Pollen count in Valdosta is 2100. Actually down from last weekend where it was 2650.

We've been high longer than ATL has been though.
Ah I see. What I was looking at is in a different scale.

I'm so homesick down here. It's too fucking flat. The people are so nice though. The accent is cute down here. They say "no" like naowah

RBH

MARTA bill gets approved by the Senate:

R419smw.png

https://twitter.com/politicalinsidr/status/713163868961447937

Senate Bill 369 would let city voters, who already pay a 1 percent sales tax for MARTA, decide whether to pay an additional half-percent to add more service. Backed by several key leaders at the Capitol, the measure now appears headed for passage after clearing the House and Senate.

If the MARTA referendum is approved by voters in November, the additional tax money could provide about $2.5 billion worth of new transit within Atlanta city limits.

Q: Do you know what that transit expansion might look like. What MARTA might do within the city limits?

A: No. But the good news is we have a very nice runway to structure the project list and to have a very robust public discussion about what that should look like. What I do know is that it’s going to have a much larger light rail component and it’s going to have a good amount of activity along the Atlanta Beltline Corridor. It is a real opportunity to make real progress around rail construction around the Beltline which many folks said would never happen.

Q: By light rail, does that mean separated from traffic?

A: Separated from traffic. This would be above the road light rail that really goes to the last mile issues that MARTA has. More people would take MARTA when the trains stopped and they were two to four blocks from their final destination.

I think you will see an effort to try to make it so where ever you take MARTA in the city, where the trail or light rail stops, you are a two to four block walk from your final destination.

If we achieve that in the city of Atlanta, we will see the city continue to have the record that we’ve had in attracting new businesses into the city corridor.

No serious person can argue the city of Atlanta isn’t getting more than its fair share of new jobs and expansions.

It’s one of the major reasons the ratings agencies moved our credit to AA+. They cited in detail the number of existing businesses – which you saw today a 600-person expansion of a business in the building we’re sitting in today – and the 13 North American or regional headquarters that have located within the city limits. All were driven by proximity to rail and light rail and the desire of millennials to be near rail or light rail.

I don’t think anybody thinks that the future of rail expansion in the city of Atlanta is heavy rail driven.
http://commuting.blog.ajc.com/2016/03/17/mayor-kasim-reed-expands-on-atlantas-new-transit-plans/

RBH

CeEGRH3VIAAJGed.jpg:large

A plan to let the city of Atlanta pursue a $2.5 billion expansion of MARTA scored an improbable victory on the last day of Georgia’s legislative session Thursday, championed by some of the same lawmakers who tried to defeat a similar proposal weeks ago.

The MARTA expansion, which is likely to include a long hoped for light rail system along the Beltline, would be funded with a half-percent sales tax increase that Atlanta voters first have to approve.

The legislation, Senate Bill 369, represents a compromise with GOP lawmakers who opposed an earlier plan put forth by Sen. Brandon Beach, R-Alpharetta, that included Fulton and DeKalb counties.

The compromise measure crafted by Speaker Pro Tem Jan Jones, R-Milton, exempts DeKalb, but allows Fulton to pursue a 0.25 percent sales tax for transit sometime in the future. For now, local leaders in Fulton are free to focus on their stated priority — passing a five-year, 0.75 percent sales tax referendum this November to pay for badly needed road improvements.

“This is a win for Fulton County, a win for Atlanta and a win for MARTA — a true win-win,” said Beach.

One of the previous opponents, Sen. John Albers, R-Roswell, said the measure that ultimately passed is one he supported because it was a changed bill — one that rejected a one-size-fits-all solution.

“I’m thrilled to get this done and over the goal line,” Albers said. “It’s the right answer.”

Fulton County Chairman John Eaves issued a statement thanking lawmakers for setting aside their differences to take action.

“Fulton is a diverse county in every way and this legislation gives us the flexibility to meet the needs of the individual cities, from Milton to Atlanta to Chattahoochee Hills and everywhere in between,” said Eaves.

A series of steps have to occur before the sales tax increase in Atlanta could take effect. The City Council would have to approve a proposed project list and schedule a referendum for November 2016 or 2017. Then, a majority of voters would have to endorse the plan.

Residents of Atlanta already pay a 1 percent MARTA sales tax. The increase would bump the sales tax rate in the city to 8.5 percent from 8 percent. Projected revenue from the tax, which would last through 2057, would be about $2.5 billion.

MARTA Board Chairman Robbie Ashe said that the transit agency’s staff is already working on a list of potential projects to share with the city.

“My best guess is the lion’s share would go to expanding the transit on the Beltline,” said Ashe, adding that the city might also contemplate building infill rail stations or extending a rail line by a stop or two.

Because of financial constraints, constructing transit lines along the entire 22-mile circle of the Beltline would likely have to be done in phases, rather than all at once, said Ashe.

The legislation, if signed into law, would allow the city to embark on the largest MARTA funding expansion in the transit authority’s history and begin to prepare for the influx of new residents that is expected in coming decades.

“It is a real opportunity to make real progress around rail construction around the Beltline, which many folks said would never happen,” Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed said last week.

Reed said MARTA’s existing heavy rail could be integrated with new light rail lines that go deeper into intown neighborhoods. The light rail would be similar to a streetcar, but operate within its own lane.
http://www.myajc.com/news/news/stat...ion-bill-scores-victory-in-legislature/nqrzK/

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm amazed it passed as well.

But of course the medical mary jane bill died and campus carry passed.

government!

Ganhyun

Try some Flonase. Two sprays per nostril once daily. And keep taking your zyrtec.

Flonase doesnt really help me. Been there, done that.

Allegra knocks the fuck out of my allergies.

lol Allegra tends to knock me out. Yea, at that point I dont care about my allergies, but I do have to be able to work.

Right now, I'm basically treating the outdoors as one giant Dark Zone in The Division.

Time to go to work
*attaches filtration mask*
---BIOHAZARD WARNING---

lol this is me.

Tarkus

Flonase doesnt really help me. Been there, done that.
Go see your primary care physician. There's all kinds of intranasal antihistamines and corticosteroids you can try. Your doc probably has a closet full of samples. Hope you have insurance coverage for them because they're all pretty expensive.

RBH

If only it actually helped my allergies. At best is temporarily lessens my symptoms for about 1-3 hours.

Yeah, everyone responds differently to the various antihistamines and nasal sprays out there. Allegra and Claritin do nothing for me, but Zyrtec has always been pretty solid for me. For the rest of my family, it's the complete opposite. If you haven't found one that works for you, it does suck to go through countless meds. You may want to visit your doctor if your symptoms are prolonged/recurrent.

DrFunk said:
RBH Fail. You need this:

the kind you could make meth with, but choose not too
Lol, I haven't reached that point yet.

Ganhyun

Go see your primary care physician. There's all kinds of intranasal antihistamines and corticosteroids you can try. Your doc probably has a closet full of samples. Hope you have insurance coverage for them because they're all pretty expensive.

I have insurance, but I cant afford to go to the doctor a whole bunch and try a ton of different medicines.

Yeah, everyone responds differently to the various antihistamines and nasal sprays out there. Allegra and Claritin do nothing for me, but Zyrtec has always been pretty solid for me. For the rest of my family, it's the complete opposite. If you haven't found one that works for you, it does suck to go through countless meds. You may want to visit your doctor if your symptoms are prolonged/recurrent.

Lol, I haven't reached that point yet.

I tend to have to move from one to another over time to get relief (an allergist told me to do it actually). I just cant always take a full dose due to most allergy meds making me go to sleep.

On another note, why are there like 3-4 different pollen level scales in use and why cant there be a standard one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom