• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

The world’s busiest/most popular/most visited/whatever airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, could look dramatically different soon, as a batch of new renderings proves.

HOK — a global design, architecture, engineering, and planning firm — is leading a team that's designing $200 million in improvements to the airport's terminally hectic domestic passenger terminal. It's part of a $6 billion, 20-year expansion and modernization planned for Atlanta's famous Flughafen.

HOK officials tell Curbed that construction will begin later this year. They provided the renderings below as a preview of what airport patrons can expect. No timeline for completion was provided.

Per officials, a few key elements of the design include:

• Two 864-foot-long canopies will cover curbside pick-up and drop-off areas, redefining the character of the building as a 21st-century air terminal and protecting passengers from the elements.
  • At curbside, travelers immediately connect with Atlanta’s green space and city parks through fritted glass panels that depict the forested landscape of the region.
  • Inside, passengers will be greeted in the redesigned light-filled atrium featuring a park-like setting, lush with plants and a large circular skylight.
  • The design accommodates both the curb-to-gate weekly business travelers and the leisure traveler.
  • Expansive windows flood check-in areas with natural light and intuitive wayfinding help to improve circulation.
http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/3/25/11306042/atlanta-airport-dramatic-terminal-overhaul

unspecified.jpeg

unspecified-1.jpeg

unspecified-2.jpeg

rpmurphy

Hey guys. So I'm about to graduate college in May and I have some job offers ready to go. One of them is located in Roswell. If this job is offering $60K a year, would I be able to live within the region comfortably? What are generally the best places to live? Am I better off staying in the Northeast?

I guess in other words, try to sell me on Atlanta.
I lived comfortably in Alpharetta when I was making slightly less than that. The best place to live is where your commute doesn't suck is my opinion.

Hartsfield-Jackson Spaceport

Hey guys. So I'm about to graduate college in May and I have some job offers ready to go. One of them is located in Roswell. If this job is offering $60K a year, would I be able to live within the region comfortably? What are generally the best places to live? Am I better off staying in the Northeast?

I've been in Peachtree Corners for one year to the day, and I've enjoyed the stay immensely.
Nice, quiet neighborhood with all the amenities and convenient access to just about anywhere else in North Fulton and Gwinnett counties.

andthebeatgoeson

You'll love Atlanta. Where are you now? When I moved from NJ, the cost of living difference really sold me on this place. Car insurance was cheaper, property taxes were cheaper, everything. Hell, if you are young, you could easily live closer to the city and take the longer commute. I say that because north atlanta and some of the suburbs closer to the city have a young community. Everyone drives a nice car (because they are idiots) but you'll find a thriving community and live the high life. Easy access to a great airport and you have a reason to get out of town easily.

I wish I would have lived here in my early 20s. Housing is cheap and if you don't have kids, you have a ton of options. Traffic is a pain but if you are close, an uber trip into the city is much better than some crappy traffic. And everyone moved to Roswell, so it's probably better to only work there and stay away from the Family units just fighting to get to Target. That pisses me off. It's much better to be cut off by someone young and pretty.

That's kinda sarcasm that's not really.

RBH

The reason that a bill like this got so far in the first place is that because there aren't enough people voting for these races in the state House and Senate.

For the state House and Senate, the primary election will be held on May 24th, 2016, and the general election will be held on November 8th, 2016.

If you guys want to know if your local representative voted Yes or No for the Religious Liberty Bill, then go here and log in with your info:

https://www.mvp.sos.ga.gov/MVP/mvp.do

Look in the bottom right-hand corner to see who your local representatives are in your district:

XFZV3Ys.png

And then check here to see if your local representatives voted Yes or No to this bill:

Senate: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/vote.aspx?VoteID=14369

House: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/vote.aspx?VoteID=14392

This is for the MARTA bill:

Senate: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/vote.aspx?VoteID=14548

House: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/vote.aspx?VoteID=14393

Just feel that it's important to have this knowledge so that people can make a more informed decision in May and in November.

rpmurphy

Sad that both my state senator [48] and rep [50] voted for the "religious liberty" (or rather, "your kind not welcome in this community") bill. Anyone serving the Atlanta area who voted in favor of that shouldn't deserve re-election. Haven't seen anyone else show up as candidates yet on the site though.

tmdorsey

The reason that a bill like this got so far in the first place is that because there aren't enough people voting for these races in the state House and Senate.

For the state House and Senate, the primary election will be held on May 24th, 2016, and the general election will be held on November 8th, 2016.

If you guys want to know if your local representative voted Yes or No for the Religious Liberty Bill, then go here and log in with your info:

https://www.mvp.sos.ga.gov/MVP/mvp.do

Look in the bottom right-hand corner to see who your local representatives are in your district:

XFZV3Ys.png

And then check here to see if your local representatives voted Yes or No to this bill:

Senate: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/vote.aspx?VoteID=14369

House: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/vote.aspx?VoteID=14392

This is for the MARTA bill:

Senate: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/vote.aspx?VoteID=14548

House: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/vote.aspx?VoteID=14393

Just feel that it's important to have this knowledge so that people can make a more informed decision in May and in November.

Good information my friend. I'm glad to see that my districts representatives in both the Senate and the House voted along my lines of thinking on both bills.

OmegaFax

Where are a few sites how track local, state, and federal vote? Always seem to lose these bookmarks or a new site pops up during an election cycle.

RBH

A great deal on Braves tickets for those interested:

16x9_pass_header_plafksqm_10ur0zw7.jpg

Braves Spring Pass - $69

Includes:

• Access to EVERY April and May home game - 27 total - including Opening Day!
  • 4 Friday Night Fireworks presented by Georgia Lottery
  • 2 Bobblehead Nights

Here's How It Works:

• Select your Braves Pass offer and purchase up to four (4) passes for your friends and family by clicking the "Buy Pass" button.
  • Before Opening Day, register your passes on the MLB.com Ballpark app for iPhone or Android phone to get access to your barcodes
  • One-to-two hours before each home game, we'll text you with your seat locations for the upcoming game. Seat locations could be in the upper level, outfield, and even infield!
  • Accept your seats on the app, scan in with your barcode, and enjoy the game!
http://m.mlb.com/atl/tickets/info/braves-pass

Ill be staying in Atlanta for a few nights,anyone have suggestions on a nice part of town to stay in? Not looking for anything too fancy just safe and close to some things to do. Thanks!

Ill be staying in Atlanta for a few nights,anyone have suggestions on a nice part of town to stay in? Not looking for anything too fancy just safe and close to some things to do. Thanks!
Stay at the Omni. Hit the aquarium, hall of fame, world of coke, hawks game, etc.

Take a taxi over to midtown, check out vortex burgers and spend the rest of your evening at Bulldogs across the street.

nooner

Neo Member
Midtown area near Piedmont Park is not a bad place to start.

Agreed. I was just at Piedmont Park today with the fam for the Dogwood Festival. There were a few too many people for my liking, however the weather was perfect!

OP, what brings you to Atlanta? Is this your first time visiting?

Tarkus

Ummm Buckhead. Bring your life savings with you. Eat at Bones. Thank me later.

Stay at the Omni. Hit the aquarium, hall of fame, world of coke, hawks game, etc.

Take a taxi over to midtown, check out vortex burgers and spend the rest of your evening at Bulldogs across the street.

Midtown area near Piedmont Park is not a bad place to start.

Ummm Buckhead. Bring your life savings with you. Eat at Bones. Thank me later.

Loews hotel or the W in midtown are both
awesome. So is the Le Meridian in Dunwoody.

Agreed. I was just at Piedmont Park today with the fam for the Dogwood Festival. There were a few too many people for my liking, however the weather was perfect!

OP, what brings you to Atlanta? Is this your first time visiting?

Thanks everyone this should help! @ Nooner yes this will be my first time visiting! Ill be staying in Atlanta for a few nights, on the way to and from my honeymoon in the Bahamas/Keys. Figured we would hit a few cities that we have never been to add to the vacation. Looking forward to seeing the city,and grabbing some good ole food!

h3ro

The owner of Iberian Pig also runs an Italian place called Double Zero that's one of my favorite places in town.

Love double zero as well!

I'm a big fan of JCT Kitchen/The Optimist as well.

Also, fave pizza spots?

For me, it's a toss up between Antico, Varuni Napoli and Amazza.

Kaladin

Can anyone recommend a good sit down restaurant in the north end?

Preferably near the 285 / 19 intersection on the north side of that.

RBH

Love double zero as well!

I'm a big fan of JCT Kitchen/The Optimist as well.

Also, fave pizza spots?

For me, it's a toss up between Antico, Varuni Napoli and Amazza.
I think Varuni Napoli is the king of neopolitan pizza in Atlanta. The owner was one of the founding members of Antico too.

Crispina is a newcomer in the Cobb county area, and it's actually pretty good too.

Can anyone recommend a good sit down restaurant in the north end?

Preferably near the 285 / 19 intersection on the north side of that.

Cobb pkwy exit? Grub burger, Buckhead Pizza Company inside of the Galleria, and there's a good Korean BBQ place around there that I cannot remember the name of right now.

If around Sandy Springs, there's a great sushi and tapas place called Blue Grotto off of Roswell Rd. There's also a great thai place next door as well.

mYm|17|

Cobb pkwy exit? Grub burger, Buckhead Pizza Company inside of the Galleria, and there's a good Korean BBQ place around there that I cannot remember the name of right now.

If around Sandy Springs, there's a great sushi and tapas place called Blue Grotto off of Roswell Rd. There's also a great thai place next door as well.

Heirloom Market BBQ!

The best bbq in Atlanta. Seattle does not have any good bbq places compared to Atlanta which is unfortunate.

Kaladin

The Thai place is close and promising.

Tapas and sushi would be dangerous to the wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom