• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

You got a Frito pie side, right? Should be Fritos, meat (chili), cheese, onions. Sound like they skipped two. ;__;

Is it not good? I heard they served in the bag. I ate there last night and I almost ordered frito pie myself.

Frito pies are great.
Actually met up with some old friends there on Sunday.

Brisket and chili-Mac.
Oh my god...
It was good. I just wasn't expecting a chip bag on my plate. I was confused if I should eat directly out the chip bag.

Ribs, then Mac and cheese then the Frito pie and then way down, the pulled pork, in terms of what was good.

That pulled pork was dry as hell. I want to blame the lack of sauce but the ribs were relatively, a dry rub but with juicy meat. I'll try the brisket next time. Or just do one meat and one side.

BTW, Costco's pulled pork is really good. Without sauce.

Edit: dj, sounds like the fee chili is good. I should have gotten that.

maxcriden

It was good. I just wasn't expecting a chip bag on my plate. I was confused if I should eat directly out the chip bag.

Ribs, then Mac and cheese then the Frito pie and then way down, the pulled pork, in terms of what was good.

That pulled pork was dry as hell. I want to blame the lack of sauce but the ribs were relatively, a dry rub but with juicy meat. I'll try the brisket next time. Or just do one meat and one side.

The ribs and brisket there are legit. Smoked wings too. Glad they did your Frito pie up right, it's tasty but as you say it's definitely an unusual presentation. It is "authentic" to the dish though, sounds kinda funny to use that word about Frito pie but that's how it's made typically in I want to say the Southwest.

dedhead54

From what I've had there, the ribs and chicken are definitely the stand outs in terms of meats.

Some day i'll try the beef rib.

RBH

Where is the best place to buy tickets for Six Flags?

I know certain places sell Six Flags tickets at a discount, but I couldn't remember which ones.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I said this earlier, but Fox Bros is overrated now.

It's still decent food, but the quality isn't omg and the wait + prices have shot up.

kagete

The parking and wait isn't great. The fatty brisket is the most tender brisket I have ever had in my life. It also tasted bland, and their bbq sauce is forgettable.

I went to the Bookhouse Pub last night for the GOT premiere. It's a pretty cool thing if you want to watch it with a group. Loved the experience and definitely will be back again next week.

I'm interested in the state elections and at least I now know who my representatives are. But I think RBH screwed up - the links to the "MARTA bill" are about SB 369, which is related to fireworks. What's the name of the MARTA bill and can I find the entire voting records for state congressmen? And how do I find out what local candidates want to do besides read all of their election websites?

D-Pad

It's still decent food, but the quality isn't omg and the wait + prices have shot up.

The parking and wait isn't great. The fatty brisket is the most tender brisket I have ever had in my life. It also tasted bland, and their bbq sauce is forgettable.

Damn that's sad to hear. My sister has been trying to take me there for the past idk how many months now. I've been pretty hyped about trying it. :\

RBH

I'm interested in the state elections and at least I now know who my representatives are. But I think RBH screwed up - the links to the "MARTA bill" are about SB 369, which is related to fireworks. What's the name of the MARTA bill and can I find the entire voting records for state congressmen? And how do I find out what local candidates want to do besides read all of their election websites?

Nope, it's all the same bill.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/0...-last-minute-chance-for-marta-rail-expansion/

It started as a fireworks bill and morphed into the MARTA bill that was passed.

Nairume

Banned

I didn't hate it, but I was really underwhelmed after all the hype.

Plus, you have Community just up the way being better.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Damn that's sad to hear. My sister has been trying to take me there for the past idk how many months now. I've been pretty hyped about trying it. :

It will still be a fun experience!

Once you've been before though it's hard to want to go back and deal with how over popular it has gotten.

I really gotta try Community. It's more convenient for me also. And I really like the food at Mason Tavern next door.
Slightly off topic but, another restaurant that I just went to last week. OMG. It was so good. It's this Ramen place off of North Druid Hills called Hajime. Go check it out. :)

RBH

080415-ashe-ed.jpg

Gov. Nathan Deal on Tuesday signed a measure into law that allows the city of Atlanta to pursue a $2.5 billion expansion of MARTA that’s likely to include a light rail system along the Beltline.

A previous version of the legislation, Senate Bill 369, was halted in its tracks earlier this year after a bruising battle that divided urban and suburban lawmakers. But it won an improbable victory on the last day of the legislative session after a late compromise was struck.

The proposal that emerged allows the city of Atlanta to set a referendum for a half-percent sales tax increase aimed at transit initiatives. MARTA Board Chairman Robbie Ashe has said the “lion’s share” would likely fund transit on the Beltline.

To placate reluctant Republicans, it exempted DeKalb County and allows Fulton County lawmakers to pursue a 0.25 percent sales tax for transit in the future. For now, it allows Fulton commissioners to press ahead with plans for a five-year 0.75 percent sales tax referendum this November to pay for road improvements.

“It was a win-win for Fulton County,” said House Speaker Pro Tem Jan Jones, a Milton Republican. “In north and south Fulton, people want to be able to get to work primarily on congested roads in their cars. They may also want transit opportunities, but their first priority is clogged roads.”

The earlier version included both Fulton and DeKalb and would have raised as much as $8 billion to expand MARTA in three directions. Still, transit advocates hailed Tuesday’s bill signing as a much-needed victory – and another step toward a more ambitious overhaul.

“The groundwork has been set for a comprehensive transit bill so we can come back in 2017,” said state Rep. Calvin Smyre, D-Columbus, who was on hand at Deal’s bill signing ceremony.

Residents of Atlanta already pay a 1 percent MARTA sales tax. The increase would bump the sales tax rate in the city to 8.5 percent from 8 percent. Projected revenue from the tax, which would last through 2057, would be about $2.5 billion.

First, though, the City Council would have to approve a proposed project list and schedule a referendum for November 2016 or 2017. Then, a majority of voters would have to endorse the plan.

Smyre said he hopes it’s just the start of a larger legislative debate on transit.

“The state now has a huge stake in the process and MARTA and transit are being talked about in a comprehensive manner,” he said. “For many years, we fought for transit and we were unsuccessful.”

He added: “I’ve been here long enough to know that sometimes baby steps are huge steps.”
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/04/26/atlanta-can-now-pursue-a-2-5b-marta-transit-expansion/

RBH

This is a nice website to compare all of your local candidates:

http://c3.thevoterguide.org/v/ajc16/build.do

RBH

Early voting starts today for the May 24th primary:

Early in-person voting for Georgia’s statewide May 24 primary starts today, ahead of an election that features several key congressional and state legislative primary races — plus local races in communities statewide.

If you want to cast a ballot in person, check with your local elections office to see where to go. If you prefer to cast a ballot on a Saturday, state law requires the polls to be open for early voting May 14 in all 159 counties.

Absentee ballots are already available for anyone wanting to vote that way. Any registered voter can request a mail-in absentee ballot, either through his or her local county registrar or through the Georgia Secretary of State Office’s website (www.sos.ga.gov).

Anyone can confirm his or her voter status online through the secretary of state’s online “my voter page” website (www.mvp.sos.ga.gov/MVP/mvp.do).

You can use the same link to find a sample ballot or voting location, or to request an absentee ballot.

Information about local elections and your “My Voter Page” can also be found on the state’s “GA Votes” mobile application. You can download the free app for both Apple and Android operating systems using either the iTunes app store for an iPhone or iPad, or Google Play for Android.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-...-starts-today-ahead-of-georgias-may-24/nrF2Q/

RBH

Fresh off a veto of legislation that would legalize firearms on college campuses, Gov. Nathan Deal’s opposition to a revival of the “campus carry” legislation seems to have hardened.

Deal vetoed the legislation last week after lawmakers refused his request to carve out exceptions to the proposal that would allow permit-holders over 21 to carry a concealed weapon onto most places on campus.

Six days after the veto, though, he made no mention of adding caveats into the legislation, and instead he questioned why it was needed in the first place. He quickly invoked the more than two centuries since the University of Georgia was chartered.

“I suppose the most obvious question is why since 1785, when we’ve been through major wars, conflicts and upheavals in this country and in the world, why all of the sudden in 2016 do we need weapons in the hands of college students where they have historically never been allowed,” Deal said. “Nobody has answered that question satisfactorily for me. That’s probably the biggest reason.”
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/0...to-georgia-campus-carry-bill-seems-to-harden/

Stay at the Omni. Hit the aquarium, hall of fame, world of coke, hawks game, etc.

Take a taxi over to midtown, check out vortex burgers and spend the rest of your evening at Bulldogs across the street.

Finally in town,we are going to check out Vortex burgers as its 5 mins away,5 points area? I believe. There's a huge skull for the doorway. Think we will hit bones resturant another night.

Edit: Went with Sweet Auburn Bbq for dinner,that place has some fucking amazing food.

RBH

rail_map.jpg

bus_map.jpg

http://news.wabe.org/post/marta-unveils-its-dream-list-atlanta-transit-expansion

New light rail lines could be coming to Atlanta along the BeltLine.

They're a central part of an expansive list that MARTA unveiled Wednesday for what to do with $2.5 billion in taxpayer money if Atlanta voters agree to a half-penny sales tax increase in November.

“The list we presented today is bigger than what we would be able to do,” MARTA Board Chairman Robbie Ashe said Wednesday. “Think of it as a menu. There will be some choices. We know not everything that's on that list will get built. We know that some things that are not on that list will probably get built.”

July 31 is the deadline for the city of Atlanta and MARTA to come up with a final list of projects for the potential $2.5 billion budget. The city gets the final say on whether the referendum will actually appear on the November ballot.

Ashe wouldn’t say what the agency wants to stay on its list, but he highlighted light rail along the BeltLine.

“I think everybody shares a goal to do at least some amount of rail on the BeltLine. But it's not the only corridor that needs that enhancement,” Ashe said.

MARTA's dream list also includes light rail across Midtown and running north to south along Northside Drive.

Here are some of the major projects on the list:

• Proposed light rail lines: around the BeltLine, east-west through Midtown along North Avenue, east-west from the eastside of the BeltLine to the westside of the BeltLine including the Atlanta Streetcar;
  • Proposed bus rapid transit lines: north-south along Northside Drive, along Interstate-20 east;
  • Proposed heavy rail expansion: line extension west along I-20, new stations in Armor Yard, Boone, Mechanicsville, and Murphy’s Crossing.

RBH

CjPt3RgUoAUpGeu.jpg

The Super Bowl is headed back to Atlanta after a vote Tuesday by NFL owners to play Super Bowl LIII in the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium in 2019.

It will be the third Super Bowl played in Atlanta and the first since 2000.

One of four bidders for the 2019 Super Bowl, Atlanta won on the owners’ fourth ballot. Miami and Tampa were eliminated on the second ballot, leaving Atlanta vs. New Orleans for the game. After neither got the required 75 percent of the vote on the third ballot, Atlanta won by a simple majority on the fourth ballot.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium is now 3-for-3 in bids for marquee sporting events, having previously been awarded college football’s national championship game in January 2018 and college basketball’s Final Four in April 2020. The stadium is slated to open next year.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/nfl-owners-award-2019-super-bowl-to-atlanta/nrSZT/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom