• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

Cipherr

Sho_Nuff82 said:
If it's so widely accepted as fact, why do we still have people harping on Capcom for supporting the HD platforms?

Who cares? It was a stupid comparison to begin with, The third port of RE:4 a gen later will be outsold by the next highly anticipated main entry of the series on its first release.

Big shock there..... its like he said, that was a pretty 'duh' statement.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
- RE4 Wii has sold what, 400k-500k to date on NPD? You don't think the PS3 version will do that next March in NPD? You don't think it would easily do the same in PAL territories and Japan? It might do that in the first week in Japan. So yes, the PS3 version of RE5 will easily surpass RE4 Wii's WW totals in very short order.

If I'm wrong, feel free to spam this quote in the March 09 NPDs/Media Creates/whatever.

Its not that what your saying is wrong dude, its that what your saying is pretty stupid as hell comparison wise. How many times was RE4 release before REWii came out? Was RE4 not ALREADY playable on the Wii before REWii came out? How in the hell do you figure comparing that to RE5 is even remotely meaningful? Thats a very stupid stupid comparison. And you cant show anything meaningful from it at all, stop trying.

Aaron Strife said:
You're saying that:

- The Wii fan base for Resident Evil is smaller because Resident Evil 4, a game that had been released on three other consoles previously, only sold 1.35 million copies.

- The PS360 fan base for Resident Evil is larger, even though there is no precedent for this claim, as Resident Evil 5 will be the first game in the series released on these platforms.

- The sales of Madden NFL 09, a football game, are indicative of how a Wii version of Resident Evil 5, a game where you kill zombies, would sell.

In other words, your argument sucks

Well since arguing hypothetical situations is going to get us nowhere, why don't we wager on something more solid?

Anyone willing to place a ban bet on my assertion that RE5 just on PS3 will easily outsell RE4 Wii?

I'll put up a one month ban that by the end of April 2009, RE5 PS3 will have outpaced RE4's reported totals on NPD and Media Create. Since RE5 is never coming out on Wii, it's the only real-world comparison we have.

Puncture said:
Its not that what your saying is wrong dude, its that what your saying is pretty stupid as hell comparison wise. How many times was RE4 release before REWii came out? Was RE4 not ALREADY playable on the Wii before REWii came out? How in the hell do you figure comparing that to RE5 is even remotely meaningful? Thats a very stupid stupid comparison. And you cant show anything meaningful from it at all, stop trying.

Fine, I'll stop bringing it up, as soon as people stop pointing to RE4's middling sales as a good reason to make the entire RE series ground up on the Wii. Deal?

RBH

Summary of this thread overall:

2iratjd.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
kpop100 said:
Pretty ironic a Nintendo fanboy posts a picture of the Nile River in regards to the subject of RE5 on Wii. Exactly who is in denial here :lol

Frown01.gif

For one that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that hypothetically, RE5: Wii Edition would outsell both the PS3 and 360's because of install-base differences.

For two, c'mon, it's coming. Remember, Mikami said he'd cut his head off if RE4 went to a platform other than the GameCube, and it still happened. Because Capcom liked money. Dead Rising, of all games, is coming to the Wii because Capcom thinks there's a market for it.

One way or another, RE5 will be on Wii eventually.

Andrex said:
18741_resident_evil_5_wii_edition-v2.png

Pointer controls plus bonus content BELIEVE.

Grecco

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Well since arguing hypothetical situations is going to get us nowhere, why don't we wager on something more solid?

Anyone willing to place a ban bet on my assertion that RE5 just on PS3 will easily outsell RE4 Wii?

I'll put up a one month ban that by the end of April 2009, RE5 PS3 will have outpaced RE4's reported totals on NPD and Media Create. Since RE5 is never coming out on Wii, it's the only real-world comparison we have.

Fine, I'll stop bringing it up, as soon as people stop pointing to RE4's middling sales as a good reason to make the entire RE series ground up on the Wii. Deal?

This is such a silly statement. Its akin to saying Bioshock Ps3 will sell less than Bioshock 2 on X360 so there shouldnt be a Bioshock 2 on Ps3.

Grecco said:
This is such a silly statement. Its akin to saying Bioshock Ps3 will sell less than Bioshock 2 on X360 so there shouldnt be a Bioshock 2 on Ps3.

I never said RE5 should never come out on the Wii.

My original argument on the last page was:

The blanket "X game would sell better on Wii" statement is obviously not true

Everyone jumped down my throat because I used RE5 as an example, since it's obviously a touchy subject with RE4 being one of the better (and better selling) serious efforts by a Wii 3rd party.

Grecco

And the whole point is RE5 Could very well Sell better on Wii. But comparing RE4 to RE5 is a suckers bet. RE4 Wii was the Third port of a game, that was hardly advertised or pushed. RE5 will be Capcoms biggest title in 09. Only a Moron would think it would sell worse than RE4

So we're arguing about RE5 being on HD consoles now?

Look, sometimes developers have a vision of how they want their games to turn out, and i'm sure if the Wii were as powerful (or as close) as a 360 it'd be a three-system port, no question. But it's not, and as doom & gloom as NPD threads tend to be, HD consoles do have an installed base of close to 35 million worldwide; it's not going to bomb.

Could RE5 be ported to the Wii later on? In one form or another, sure, depending on the sacrifices Capcom is willing to make. As of right now though, it's a PS3/360 game and with the 360 people cheaper than a Wii at this point you really have no excuse if you're a real fan of the series.

/$.02

Eteric Rice

_leech_ said:
So we're arguing about RE5 being on HD consoles now?

Look, sometimes developers have a vision of how they want their games to turn out, and i'm sure if the Wii were as powerful (or as close) as a 360 it'd be a three-system port, no question. But it's not, and as doom & gloom as NPD threads tend to be, HD consoles do have an installed base of close to 35 million worldwide; it's not going to bomb.

Could RE5 be ported to the Wii later on? In one form or another, sure, depending on the sacrifices Capcom is willing to make. As of right now though, it's a PS3/360 game and with the 360 people cheaper than a Wii at this point you really have no excuse if you're a real fan of the series.

/$.02

Oh shit, you activated the "vision" and "real fan" trap cards!

*head explodes*

Eteric Rice said:
Oh shit, you activated the "vision" and "real fan" trap cards!

*head explodes*

It's not a trap guard. I assume people buy systems because it has games they want to play on them, yes? If you're a diehard RE fan that's this passionate about playing RE5... umm, then why not buy the system it's going to be on for the foreseeable future? Hell, just sell the system back after you're done with it, no one will care.

pakkit

Banned
_leech_ said:
It's not a trap guard. I assume people buy systems because it has games they want to play on them, yes? If you're a diehard RE fan that's this passionate about playing RE5... umm, then why not buy the system it's going to be on for the foreseeable future? Hell, just sell the system back after you're done with it, no one will care.
College, poor, no job, credit card debt, etc.

WrikaWrek said:
I just think it's pointless to make RE5 wii if the game isn't gonna be the same. Make a Spin Off for the Wii.
The point is money. If a port is possible Capcom would do it. I don't get why you guys treat RE5 as a sacred HD project. There's a fanbase on the Wii that wants RE5, you guys think Capcom will just ignore it?

Haunted

theBishop said:
it's not like this month is any worse.
I'm not going to quote your tag.

wikawrek said:
That's why i say, make a new RES, JUST for the wii.
With as much effort, marketing and an A-string dev team put on it as Resident Evil 5 has?

Sounds good.

WrikaWrek

Banned
BishopLamont said:
The point is money. If a port is possible Capcom would do it. I don't get why you guys treat RE5 as a sacred HD project. There's a fanbase on the Wii that wants RE5, you guys think Capcom will just ignore it?

I hope Capcom will give them a RES. But RES5 is RES5, and what they have shouldn't be "cut" in pieces just to make a Wii debut. Because then it's no longer RES5.

Fact is, the Wii isn't on the same plane as the 360 and PS3 as far as capabilities go, from processing power to control style. And since it's such a different platform that doesn't allow for "direct" ports of 360/Ps3 games, then why do it?

That's why i say, make a new RES, JUST for the wii.

WrikaWrek said:
I hope Capcom will give them a RES. But RES5 is RES5, and what they have shouldn't be "cut" in pieces just to make a Wii debut. Because then it's no longer RES5.
Again we come back to "creative vision". We all know money > all. I'm not the one to support HD ports to Wii, but RE5 with Wii controls makes so sense that I think this is a matter of "when" not "if". Ofcourse I want a brand new RE for the Wii, but RE5 is a massive game and I don't see Capcom not going on a port-fest like they have with RE4.

WrikaWrek

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Again we come back to "creative vision". We all know money > all. I'm not the one to support HD ports to Wii, but RE5 with Wii controls makes so sense that I think this is a matter of "when" not "if".

We will see if it happens, what we write here doesn't shape reality. The wii version would probably lose co op, graphics, the levels would probably get cut up, which might mess with the level design.

It's probably not a simple port. We will see, i think it would make more sense to make something different, because maybe when RES6 comes they will be pushing the hardware even more, and as the gap widens, the more difficult it becomes to do the port.

We will see, i don't think it's as simple as you make it out to be. :D

theBishop

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
We will see if it happens, what we write here doesn't shape reality. The wii version would probably lose co op, graphics, the levels would probably get cut up, which might mess with the level design.

Its not just graphics. Gameplay elements like destructible environments. Not to mention hordes of zombies on-screen simultaneously. A Wii RE5 would not be RE5.

WrikaWrek

Banned
theBishop said:
Its not just graphics. Gameplay elements like destructible environments. Not to mention hordes of zombies on-screen simultaneously. A Wii RE5 would not be RE5.

I alluded to some of that, the levels would probably change.

And the lightning and shadowing is a theme in RES5, and they really went out of their way to create this lightning system, that really adds to the presentation and is in itself part of the gameplay experience.

Could you recreate that lightning system on the Wii? If not, then you destroy a theme. What about the Co Op, they went on the create this story with these two characters, what happens to that? Such a big feature.

Really, whether people want to accept it or not, it's not a matter of just "Waggle vs no waggle" :lol

yurinka

· RE5 is being developed with MT Framework engine, thinked to develop multiplatform AAA next-gen games (for 360,PS3, PC, not Wii).

· All the MT Framework games outsold RE4Wii (Devil May Cry 4 in 360 & PS3, Dead Rising in 360 and Lost Planet in 360), even 360 and PS3 had a smaller installed base than the Wii.

· To develop a port for Wii would need a lot of work. They would have 2 ways: to use RE4 Wii engine like Dead Rising, or to add Wii to MT Framework engine.

By now, RE5 looks like it can be toned down graphically to fit in a Wii, because and even 3d models and textures can be toned down, doesn't have a really huge next-gen stuff like let's say, Assasin's Creed. And looks like RE5 gameplay can be done using RE4Wii gameplay.

But the producer said in severall interviews the great lighting they can use in HD systems will be a gameplay key element, in a way I doubt it can be done in the same way in a Wii (but I think they even can do something similar to mimic it if they want).

I think it's hard to see a RE5 dumbed down port in Wii. But it's possible to see it after some months, maybe coming when the PC version will be released. I think it depends of the performance of RE5 in PS3/360 and Dead Rising in Wii. I think if Dead Rising don't reach the expected sales (600k, I think it will sell more) and the Wii users complains too much that it's too dumbed down, there won't be RE5 in Wii.

WrikaWrek said:

It's probably not a simple port. We will see, i think it would make more sense to make something different, because maybe when RES6 comes they will be pushing the hardware even more, and as the gap widens, the more difficult it becomes to do the port.

We will see, i don't think it's as simple as you make it out to be. :D
I know it's not simple, never said it was. This is Capcom we're talking about though, ports is their middle name.

Jokeropia

Sho_Nuff82 said:
RE4 Wii more than tripled Capcom's sales expecations. Will RE5 do the same?
Sho_Nuff82 said:
- RE4 Wii has sold what, 400k-500k to date on NPD?
No, it was over 500k before the end of 2007, so RE5 PS3 would have to sell well over a million at launch to meet your expectations, more than any PS3 game (including GTA) has managed so far.
Doubledex said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
It's hurting you too apparently, to the degree that you can't even make an intelligible response.

Guled

To those who want RE5, why not just get a next gen console or upgrade your pc. The 360 is only 200$ now. Plus there are a lot of other games you can play on a next-gen system

Cipherr

So 1.25 million copies sold is considered "middling sales" now for a 4x re-release port with no added content.

Hell the fact that its a port doesn't even matter, the fact that we have now moved to calling games that sell over a million copies "middling" is just downright amazing. I remember a year or two ago when we set that imaginary sales bar at around 300k. Now one and a quarter million is just "meh". The lengths people will go to in sales age to discredit the success of the plastic box they dont favor is pretty amazing.

I really have to wonder how far this can go. Will we get a post saying 2 million is only "mediocre" by this time next year? Stay tuned.

Rpgmonkey

Well it was fun reading through this thread...

:( at Vesperia though. It was only four days, but I have my doubts it did so hot this month (or will at least make the top 10) either...

I wonder if they'll actually reach the 500K worldwide number?

yurinka said:
· RE5 is being developed with MT Framework engine, thinked to develop multiplatform AAA next-gen games (for 360,PS3, PC, not Wii).
You mean like Dead Rising?

· All the MT Framework games outsold RE4Wii (Devil May Cry 4 in 360 & PS3, Dead Rising in 360 and Lost Planet in 360), even 360 and PS3 had a smaller installed base than the Wii.
That can be entirely attributed to the fact that Devil May Cry 4, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet are all new games while Resident Evil 4's total sales are split across three SKUs. Let's say Resident Evil 4, the same exact game that we all know today, was delayed until 2007 and launched as a Wii exclusive game. I assure you its overall performance would have been far more impressive.

· To develop a port for Wii would need a lot of work. They would have 2 ways: to use RE4 Wii engine like Dead Rising, or to add Wii to MT Framework engine.
The benefits would make up for it. I think we can all agree that Resident Evil has a pretty well established fan base on the Wii.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

phoenix-thinking(a).gif

Hm... No.

Jag22

Banned
As long as Nintendo doesn't agree to put Mario on the cover of COD 5. I think it'll be a good measuring stick of how well core games sell on the Wii compared to other consoles.

So far Madden 09 is by far the best comparison we have.

Jag22 said:
As long as Nintendo doesn't agree to put Mario on the cover of COD 5. I think it'll be a good measuring stick of how well core games sell on the Wii compared to other consoles.
I'm not sure about that.

With most multi-platform games the general mindset is that the Wii version will be nothing more than a PS2 port with waggle.

I think it'll at least outsell the PS3 version though.

farnham

Banned
yurinka said:

By now, RE5 looks like it can be toned down graphically to fit in a Wii, because and even 3d models and textures can be toned down, doesn't have a really huge next-gen stuff like let's say, Assasin's Creed. And looks like RE5 gameplay can be done using RE4Wii gameplay.

But the producer said in severall interviews the great lighting they can use in HD systems will be a gameplay key element, in a way I doubt it can be done in the same way in a Wii (but I think they even can do something similar to mimic it if they want).

I think it's hard to see a RE5 dumbed down port in Wii. But it's possible to see it after some months, maybe coming when the PC version will be released. I think it depends of the performance of RE5 in PS3/360 and Dead Rising in Wii. I think if Dead Rising don't reach the expected sales (600k, I think it will sell more) and the Wii users complains too much that it's too dumbed down, there won't be RE5 in Wii.

Bingo.. they did it with Dead Rising why wouldnt they do it with RE5...??

And how will Dead Risings sales affect their decision... If they will do a wii port Capcom has already given the go sign to develop the port.. Only then they will be able to put the RE5 SKU out 6 month after the initial release on the next gen systems.. (As you said the port wont be easy and will take at least one year)

Plus its obvious that the Wii will be No.1 this gen.. There is no reason for them to hesitate porting games on the dominant platform. Look at PS2 and RE 4.

Jag22

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
I'm not sure about that.

With most multi-platform games the general mindset is that the Wii version will be nothing more than a PS2 port with waggle.

How does that not make for a good comparison? That really makes no sense.

Jag22

Banned
farnham said:
Bingo.. they did it with Dead Rising why wouldnt they do it with RE5...??

And how will Dead Risings sales affect their decision... If they will do a wii port Capcom has already given the go sign to develop the port.. Only then they will be able to put the RE5 SKU out 6 month after the initial release on the next gen systems.. (As you said the port wont be easy and will take at least one year)

Plus its obvious that the Wii will be No.1 this gen.. There is no reason for them to hesitate porting games on the dominant platform. Look at PS2 and RE 4.
Madden 09 sells on the Wii is a great reason to hesitate.

farnham

Banned
Jag22 said:

nba-street-v3-2.jpg

ssxmario1.jpg

Jag22 said:
Madden 09 sells on the Wii is a great reason to hesitate.

Okay so according to your logic the bad sales of Madden 05 on the DS should have stopped any third party developing games on the DS... :lol :lol :lol :lol

Taurus

Jag22 said:

Guitar Hero 3 disagrees.

GH is as much as core game as Madden games are. And making comparisons based on one week of sales of one game is fucking stupid.

[Nintex]

Aaron Strife said:
You mean like Dead Rising?
That's a great example of a toned down next-gen port.

Let's say Resident Evil 4, the same exact game that we all know today, was delayed until 2007 and launched as a Wii exclusive game. I assure you its overall performance would have been far more impressive.
I don't think so, the combined PC+GC+PS2+Wii made RE4 a succes. Capcom almost had a dud with the GameCube exclusive. Not counting the "o noes PS2 port" crybabies who didn't pick it up. It would be like saying: FFXIII on PS3 exclusive would be more succesfull than FFXIII on the PS3/Xbox 360. Ports/remakes/multiplatform whatever, are always better for sales.

The benefits would make up for it. I think we can all agree that Resident Evil has a pretty well established fan base on the Wii.
We'll see a Resident Evil 5 on Wii no doubt. It's Capcom, they would port their own mother if they had the chance.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Aaron Strife said:
I'm not sure about that.

4 sold 4 million on PS3. Wii will have to really impress for it to out do CoD5 on the PS3

Top Bottom