• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

Jag22 said:
How does that not make for a good comparison? That really makes no sense.
Call of Duty 5 on Wii will not be on equal footing with its PS3/360 counterparts. It will likely have weaker graphics and weaker online. While possibly better controls I don't know if that's going to be able to compensate.

Madden 09 sells on the Wii is a great reason to hesitate.
Two Capcom executives meet for lunch.

"Hey Bob, we're thinking about porting Resident Evil 5 to the Wii."
"Bad idea, Jim. Did you see those Madden sales? Clearly there isn't an audience for third-person action games."
"Wow, you're right. Let's get tanked!"

[nintex said:
]I don't think so, the combined PC+GC+PS2+Wii made RE4 a succes. Capcom almost had a dud with the GameCube exclusive. Not counting the "o noes PS2 port" crybabies who didn't pick it up. It would be like saying: FFXIII on PS3 exclusive would be more succesfull than FFXIII on the PS3/Xbox 360. Ports/remakes/multiplatform whatever, are always better for sales.
You misunderstand me.

Situation A is that Joe Gamer can buy Resident Evil 4 on the PS2 or Wii (he owns both consoles). Joe Gamer decides to buy the PS2 version.

Situation B is that Resident Evil 4 was only released on the Wii, so Joe Gamer buys the Wii version.

In situation B, Resident Evil 4's overall sales wouldn't have passed four million, but the Wii version would have sold more than 1.35 million.

I'll borrow your analogy. How many people were willing to buy a PS3 for Final Fantasy XIII? Probably a lot. Now that it's getting a 360 port, the sales for the PS3 version won't be as strong because the total sales are now split between two SKUs.

HK-47 said:
4 sold 4 million on PS3. Wii will have to really impress for it to out do CoD5 on the PS3
On the other hand I'm willing to bet that Call of Duty: World at War isn't going to do nearly as well as Call of Duty 4, entirely because it lacks a number at the end of its title.

Guled

HK-47 said:
4 sold 4 million on PS3. Wii will have to really impress for it to out do CoD5 on the PS3
doesn't CoD5 come out the week after R2 and GoW2? If so I'm guessing that will effect the sales a lot

farnham

Banned
HK-47 said:
CoD3 sold almost identically (about 500k worldwide) on PS3 and the Wii.. It was a major mistake for Activision not to port CoD 4 on the Wii.. They would have sold at least 1 million additional copies on the wii and that would have been pure profit for them..

[Nintex]

Aaron Strife said:
Two Capcom executives meet for lunch.

"Hey Bob, we're thinking about porting Resident Evil 5 to the Wii."
"Bad idea, Jim. Did you see those Madden sales? Clearly there isn't an audience for third-person action games."
"Wow, you're right. Let's get tanked!"
Capcom executives meet for lunch Part 2.

Satoru Iwata: "Mega Man 9 exclusive?"
Shane Kim: "Resident Evil 5 exclusive on Xbox 360! I'll announce it right away!"
David Reeves: "Thank you for the Street Fighter 4 exclusive you really believe in the future potential of the PS3 right?!
Keiji Inafune: (laughs)
Jun Takeuchi: (laughs)
Both: lol lol lol rofl lol port port lol lol

Rhindle

Taurus said:
Guitar Hero 3 disagrees.

GH is as much as core game as Madden games are. And making comparisons based on one week of sales of one game is fucking stupid.
Not really. GH falls squarely in the party/minigame category, which is what sells best on Wii.

Also, it falls into the game "game with accessory" category. Wii owners loves them some games with accessories.

farnham

Banned
Rhindle said:
Not really. GH falls squarely in the party/minigame category, which is what sells best on Wii.

Also, it falls into the game "game with accessory" category. Wii owners loves them some games with accessories.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Wow I love this "everything that sells on the Wii is casual or a huge huge exception - thing"

what about the situation in europe dude... everything on the wii sells well there it seems

ksamedi

WrikaWrek said:
I alluded to some of that, the levels would probably change.

And the lightning and shadowing is a theme in RES5, and they really went out of their way to create this lightning system, that really adds to the presentation and is in itself part of the gameplay experience.

Could you recreate that lightning system on the Wii? If not, then you destroy a theme. What about the Co Op, they went on the create this story with these two characters, what happens to that? Such a big feature.

Really, whether people want to accept it or not, it's not a matter of just "Waggle vs no waggle" :lol

All of a sudden, the Wii can't do RE5's 'advanced' lighting system (which we have never seen) It must be hard to light up the screen in a Wii game :lol You Sony fanboys really crack me up.

yurinka

Aaron Strife said:
You mean like Dead Rising?
Dead Rising was the first game to use this engine. Since the start, the MT Framework engine was thinked to take advantage of multiprocessor systems of next gen platform (including PS3, 360 and dual/quad core PC, but supporting also single core PC), and using PC as lead platform because is faster and cheaper to develop.
Obviously it wasn't released at launch for PS3 because the console still wasn't released. Unlike RE4 or DR in Wii, today a PS3 DR1 would look to ugly compared with current titles of the console, as happened with LP in PS3. In PS3 like in the 360 and unlinke the Wii, the visuals are really, really important. And DR for Wii doesn't use MT Framework, it uses RE4 engine.

Aaron Strife said:
That can be entirely attributed to the fact that Devil May Cry 4, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet are all new games while Resident Evil 4's total sales are split across three SKUs. Let's say Resident Evil 4, the same exact game that we all know today, was delayed until 2007 and launched as a Wii exclusive game. I assure you its overall performance would have been far more impressive.
Well, RE4 was released as a Nintendo console (GameCube) exclusive. And seeing its numbers they kicked the exclusive and released it in PS2. That's why I said a Wii port depends of the RE5 PS360 numbers. BTW if RE4 was delayed until 2007 and was launched as a Wii exclusive it won't reached 4 millions (it the overall performance).

Aaron Strife said:
The benefits would make up for it. I think we can all agree that Resident Evil has a pretty well established fan base on the Wii.
Yes, Resident Evil has a well established fan base on the Wii, as it also has in the PS3 and 360. But they prefer to release it in PS3, 360 and PC instead of in Wii because the PS3+360+PC market is far bigger than the Wii market. And if they think the game to be included in Wii too, it would dumbed down and it wouldn't use some next-gen features, being weaker against the other next-gen games of the genre.

So they will release the game for 360+PS3, and some months later for PC. And depending of this numbers, and Dead Rising Wii numbers and fan opinion, they would think how to dumb it down to fit it in a Wii port. They already know the Wii only hardcore users wants RE5 in this console. Think it's not a cheap move, there are 400 people working in the game.

WrikaWrek

Banned
ksamedi said:
All of a sudden, the Wii can't do RE5's 'advanced' lighting system (which we have never seen) It must be hard to light up the screen in a Wii game :lol You Sony fanboys really crack me up.

Riiiight...i guess the Wii is a powerhouse now, and can do the kind of HDR and lightning and shadowing system going on with RES5.

Of course, since when does that have to do with processing power? You could do that shit in the megadrive. :lol You Nintendo fanboys crack me up.

Rhindle

farnham said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Wow I love this "everything that sells on the Wii is casual or a huge huge exception - thing"

what about the situation in europe dude... everything on the wii sells well there it seems
Not sure what you're trying to say. GH is a huge casual franchise. Just because it also has appeal to core gamers doesn't mean it isn't a casual franchise. Party games/mini game collections are a subset of the broader casual games category, not an "exception."

I don't know about Europe. Seems to me that sales in Europe have been pretty similar to the US for the most part. "Core" games on Wii may sell somewhat better because 360 and PS3 sales have been miserable there.

Guled said:
doesn't CoD5 come out the week after R2 and GoW2? If so I'm guessing that will effect the sales a lot

COD5 won't do the numbers that COD4 will did. Almost everyone I know has written it off because of COD3 and are picking up Gow2 instead. COD5 REALLY has to impress for the hardcore to give it a chance.

The casuals who don't know better and pick it up by name alone will be the bulk of COD5's sales.

farnham

Banned
Rhindle said:
Not sure what you're trying to say. GH is a huge casual franchise. Just because it also has appeal to core gamers doesn't mean it isn't a casual franchise. Party games/mini game collections are a subset of the broader casual games category, not an "exception."
It is now.. but back when GH 1 shipped it was a hardcore franchise.. even before that when there was only Guitar Freaks it was a freak game..

But with your logic GTA and Madden as well as CoD are all casual since they have mass market appeal and sell to many many people.. they just seem to have some hardcore appeal

WrikaWrek said:
Riiiight...i guess the Wii is a powerhouse now, and can do the kind of HDR and lightning and shadowing system going on with RES5.

Of course, since when does that have to do with processing power? You could do that shit in the megadrive. :lol You Nintendo fanboys crack me up.

So HDR made Oblivion a better game then Morrowind..?

yurinka said:
Well, RE4 was released as a Nintendo console (GameCube) exclusive. And seeing its numbers they kicked the exclusive and released it in PS2. That's why I said a Wii port depends of the RE5 PS360 numbers. BTW if RE4 was delayed until 2007 and was launched as a Wii exclusive it won't reached 4 millions (it the overall performance).

Actually no..
OldJadedGamer said:
Which makes the "only for" on the box funnier.

GameCube%20Resident%20Evil%204.jpg

its a salute to mikami

yurinka said:
Well, RE4 was released as a Nintendo console (GameCube) exclusive. And seeing its numbers they kicked the exclusive and released it in PS2.
GameCube LTD: 21 million
PS2 LTD: 130 million

No shit.

Also, the PS2 port was announced before the GameCube version was even released.

Yes, Resident Evil has a well established fan base on the Wii, as it also has in the PS3 and 360.
You're saying that based on sales of other games.

A Halo fan is not necessarily a Resident Evil fan.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Aaron Strife said:
On the other hand I'm willing to bet that Call of Duty: World at War isn't going to do nearly as well as Call of Duty 4, entirely because it lacks a number at the end of its title.

Amazing reasoning you have there

Guled

OldJadedGamer said:
COD5 won't do the numbers that COD4 will did. Almost everyone I know has written it off because of COD3 and are picking up Gow2 instead. COD5 REALLY has to impress for the hardcore to give it a chance.

The casuals who don't know better and pick it up by name alone will be the bulk of COD5's sales.
didn't they drop the "5" and now its just CoD: World at War? If so it will look more like a spin off then a real squeal which will also effect its sales. Plus the casuals will be all over GoW and R2, they won't pick up another game a week latter

HK-47 said:
Amazing reasoning you have there
A spin-off holds less merit than a full-blown sequel.

Activision knew the game wouldn't hold up so they dropped the 5 at the end of the title.

Unless you really believe the PS3 version of World at War is going to sell 4 million copies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Aaron Strife said:
A spin-off holds less merit than a full-blown sequel.

Activision knew the game wouldn't hold up so they dropped the 5 at the end of the title.

Unless you really believe the PS3 version of World at War is going to sell 4 million copies.

When was WaW a spinoff? Face it, there is a bigger shooter audience on the PS3 then on wii

Taurus

Rhindle said:

Tiger Woods 08? Just another exception?

ksamedi

WrikaWrek said:

The Wii is not a powerhouse, but its not a PS1 either. As far as we know, RE5 will use a lighting system based on moving from light to dark places and the other way around. I'm sure the Wii can't pull of any of the advanced lighting RE5 does but I doubt the shadowing and lighting systems in RE5 will create gameplay situations that the Wii can't replicate some way or another. From what we have seen from the vids is that RE5 borrows its gmaeplay Ideas from a GameCube game actually.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
I hope you have evidence to back this up.

The same kind Wii fans and their Resident Evil userbase theory. Right?

Shooters sell more on the PS3, just look at the numbers COD4 pulled. Did the Wii version pull those numbers?

Guled

ksamedi said:
The Wii is not a powerhouse, but its not a PS1 either. As far as we know, RE5 will use a lighting system based on moving from light to dark places and the other way around. I'm sure the Wii can't pull of any of the advanced lighting RE5 does but I doubt the shadowing and lighting systems in RE5 will create gameplay situations that the Wii can't replicate some way or another. From what we have seen from the vids is that RE5 borrows its gmaeplay Ideas from a GameCube game actually.
online coop

Guled said:
To those who want RE5, why not just get a next gen console or upgrade your pc. The 360 is only 200$ now. Plus there are a lot of other games you can play on a next-gen system

Some of us prefer next-gen controls.

farnham

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
The same kind Wii fans and their Resident Evil userbase theory. Right?

Shooters sell more on the PS3, just look at the numbers COD4 pulled. Did the Wii version pull those numbers?
there was no wii version :lol :lol :lol

Rhindle said:
Not sure what you're trying to say. GH is a huge casual franchise. Just because it also has appeal to core gamers doesn't mean it isn't a casual franchise.

Protip: any and all games that sell 1+ million copies in the United States do so on the backs of casual gamers.

farnham

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Exactly. I rest my case.
what

that was a mistake by activision

Infinity Ward maybe wanted to fulfill their creators dream or anything

but activision should have made a wii version to maximize profit (give it to vicarious visions for example)

Taurus said:
How much did the Wii version actually sell btw? Just curious.

The Wii version of CoD 4 sold exactly 0 copies

Taurus

WrikaWrek said:
Exactly. I rest my case.
You compare a game to a game that doesn't even exist, and this somehow proves your point?

How much did Zack&Wiki sell on PS3 compared to Wii version? Exactly, I can be an asshole too with nothing smart to say.

gtj1092

How long before it is accepted that while the Wii is a sales juggernaut it isn't the PS2. On Ps2 Guitar hero and madden sell great on Wii not so much and there isn't anything wrong with that. It doesn't make your wii less of a console. As long as you enjoy the games you get why be so up tight.

edit: :lol at activision making a mistake by releaseing a 10 million unit selling game. I guess exclusive wii developers are also making a mistake by not releasing their games on Ps360 or does that only work in one direction.

farnham

Banned
gtj1092 said:
How long before it is accepted that while the Wii is a sales juggernaut it isn't the PS2. On Ps2 Guitar hero and madden sell great on Wii not so much and there isn't anything wrong with that. It doesn't make your wii less of a console. As long as you enjoy the games you get why be so up tight.

Well Madden was marketed as a PS2 game back when PS2 was the No.1 in the industry...

Right now Madden is being marketed as a 360 game..

EA is afraid to spend their marketing dollars on the wii version and the consequence is low sales..

They should have launched an additional all play marketing campaign alongside to the sku.. but they didnt..

Seriously Wii buyers look at Mario Kart which is heavily marketed,, Wii Fit which they saw at Oprahs show or something and Wii Sports which they know of.. Why would they buy Madden All Play.. EA failed to explain them just that while lets say Activision succeeded with Guitar hero 3

Taurus

gtj1092 said:
Guitar Hero sales are great on Wii. Madden Wii will have some legs, but there are other more interesting games on Wii that casuals are interested in.

While on PS2 era there were Sims, Harry Potters etc on Wii there are Carnival games, Big Beach Sports etc. The Wii doesn't have to have exactly same games than the PS2 did, does it now?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
WrikaWrek said:
Exactly. I rest my case.
yeah, i'm gonna call bullshit on your circular logic. that shit doesn't fly. however, the idea that the Resident Evil franchise has a fanbase on the Wii is backed by hard numbers with two games breaking 1 million units on the system. this presumption can be acquired independent of other systems and therefore is very objective. to deny that the game wouldn't sell on the Wii, regardless of other consoles and assuming a quality product, is pure poppycock.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Guled said:
come on, you can do better

farnham said:
what

that was a mistake by activision

Infinity Ward maybe wanted to fulfill their creators dream or anything

but activision should have made a wii version to maximize profit (give it to vicarious visions for example)

The Wii version of CoD 4 sold exactly 0 copies

ksamedi said:
Well, its not because COD3 bombed, or because shooters don't sell on Wii. So I wonder what you case is.

Geez, what a disappointment. It was debated that the Wii already had a big userbase for the RES franchise, and that it was actually riskier to launch it on HD consoles because there wasn't a Res user base there, implying that RES5 would actually sell better on the Wii.

Obviously, this is all because guess what...there's no RES4 at 29.99 (probably would have to be at 15$, since it's last gen graphics, which isn't the same for the Wii) for the HD consoles to compare this "userbase" thing.

Jag22

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
Call of Duty 5 on Wii will not be on equal footing with its PS3/360 counterparts. It will likely have weaker graphics and weaker online. While possibly better controls I don't know if that's going to be able to compensate.

Then by that logic you can't compare any multiplatform games. Because every Wii port will look inferior and have inferior online than the 360/PS3 versions. You do realize that, right?

WrikaWrek said:
Geez, what a disappointment. It was debated that the Wii already had a big userbase for the RES franchise, and that it was actually riskier to launch it on HD consoles because there wasn't a Res user base there, implying that RES5 would actually sell better on the Wii.

Obviously, this is all because guess what...there's no RES4 at 29.99 (probably would have to be at 15$, since it's last gen graphics, which isn't the same for the Wii) for the HD consoles to compare this "userbase" thing.
There isn't a precedent for a Resident Evil game on the PS3 but there is a precedent for a Call of Duty game on the Wii, Call of Duty 3 which sold slightly more than the PS3 version (at least in America), so your argument is still bullshit.

Jag22 said:
Then by that logic you can't compare any multiplatform games. Because every Wii port will look inferior and have inferior online than the 360/PS3 versions. You do realize that, right?
On the other hand, online isn't as important to Resident Evil 5 as it is to World at War, so RE5 Wii vs. PS3/360 comes down to better controls vs. better graphics whereas with W@W it becomes maybe better controls vs. better everything else.

Oh and price I guess.

gtj1092 said:
Who here actually believes that COD5 is actually going to sell better on the Wii than the Ps3 despite the gulf in user base.
Hi.

gtj1092

farnham said:
Well Madden was marketed as a PS2 game back when PS2 was the No.1 in the industry...

Right now Madden is being marketed as a 360 game..

EA is afraid to spend their marketing dollars on the wii version and the consequence is low sales..

They should have launched an additional all play marketing campaign alongside to the sku.. but they didnt..

Seriously Wii buyers look at Mario Kart which is heavily marketed,, Wii Fit which they saw at Oprahs show or something and Wii Sports which they know of.. Why would they buy Madden All Play.. EA failed to explain them just that while lets say Activision succeeded with Guitar hero 3

And that is because MS put up the dollars for that advertising. Amazingly though somehow the Ps3 version increased in sales with out many commercials(i haven't seen any). Why would EA spend their own money when all signs point to the Wii version selling the worst.

Who here actually believes that COD5 is actually going to sell better on the Wii than the Ps3 despite the gulf in user base. How long are we going to blame the 3rd parties and start to just realize its the customer base.

Draft

Aaron Strife said:
There isn't a precedent for a Resident Evil game on the PS3 but there is a precedent for a Call of Duty game on the Wii, Call of Duty 3 which sold slightly more than the PS3 version (at least in America), so your argument is still bullshit.

On the other hand, online isn't as important to Resident Evil 5 as it is to World at War, so RE5 Wii vs. PS3/360 comes down to better controls vs. better graphics whereas with W@W it becomes maybe better controls vs. better everything else.

Oh and price I guess.
Did it sell better than COD4 on the PS3?

farnham

Banned
gtj1092 said:
And that is because MS put up the dollars for that advertising. Amazingly though somehow the Ps3 version increased in sales with out many commercials(i haven't seen any). Why would EA spend their own money when all signs point to the Wii version selling the worse.

Who here actually believes that COD5 is actually going to sell better on the Wii than the Ps3 despite the gulf in user base. How long are we going to blame the 3rd parties and start to just realize its the customer base.
Because its their product and they make the profit if they sell copies of any version..?

And how can you blame a customer base.. They will just buy what they want.. Its the companies that have to hit the tastes.. or they will fail making money.. simple as that..

Draft said:
Did it sell better than COD4 on the PS3?

CoD 3 sold like 2 million on 360 while CoD 4 sold 7 million on 360..

CoD4 on PS3 sold better then Resistance or Metal Gear Solid 4 (which are top exclusives to the PS3)

Top Bottom