• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

I'm pretty interested in seeing Star Trek II: The Star Trekening whenever I can be bothere to get around to it, but more than anything I'm hoping the next Half in the Bag is about it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I never understood why this topic stayed in Gaming Community instead of getting moved over to OT Community with the other location-based OTs. Just out of habit?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"We", and by that I mean me and the Rocket Chainsaw crew, will be at PAX Melbourne for shits and giggles.

AUS GAF, I need help buying a new TV!

I'm clueless with TV's, but after getting some advice on GAF it seems that Panasonic plasma TV’s are the way to go. It’ll be for playing PS3 games and when the time comes PS4 games for like 90% of the time. Apparently the Panasonic VIERA ST50A is looking like a good choice for me. Would it be ok if I get a 50 inch but sit pretty close to it (small room). The room will also be fairly lit (I’ve got blinds behind me so sun light will come in). What do you think AUS GAF? Any advice for me? Anyone here have it and care to share an opinion? Also, anyone know a place I can actually get it? I found this on the Dick Smith website, is it even the same TV?

Is it wise to take a Star Trek fan, that too your future father-in law, to a not star trek movie?

Is it wise to take a brush to a multi-decade, multi-iteration franchise and just say "this is Star Trek, that isn't" when what "is" and "isn't" Star Trek might change as the franchise evolves? Popular culture, like culture generally, flows, changes and adapts with the times. Just like modern Doctor Who is different to the classic stuff.

I'm clueless with TV's, but after getting some advice on GAF it seems that Panasonic plasma TV’s are the way to go. It’ll be for playing PS3 games and when the time comes PS4 games for like 90% of the time. Apparently the Panasonic VIERA ST50A is looking like a good choice for me. Would it be ok if I get a 50 inch but sit pretty close to it (small room). The room will also be fairly lit (I’ve got blinds behind me so sun light will come in). What do you think AUS GAF? Any advice for me? Anyone here have it and care to share an opinion? Also, anyone know a place I can actually get it? I found this on the Dick Smith website, is it even the same TV?

That's not the same tv, and it's quite expensive for a 50" plasma. That size plasma should be under a thousand bucks.

I was shopping around for a tv recently and picked up a 55" Bravia LED. I didn't like any plasma tv's I saw in couple of stores, mostly due to the brightness being poor for daylight viewing.

If you have a room with sunlight coming on the face of the tv, I wouldn't recommend a plasma. Though Panasonic is the best brand if you're going for a plasma, don't even look at any other brands for plasmas.

Shaneus

The important thing to remember is that we'll always have the comics, cartoons, and rad as shit first live action movie and no amount of terrible other stuff will ever take those away.
I watched the first (two) episode(s) of the newest "cartoon" and it's fucking awesome. Like I said in that Transformers said, it's like the best combination of the original cartoon, the first movie and Samurai Pizza Cats.

First movie will always be the best version of it anywhere, though. Except maybe the comics, but I never read those so I can't judge.

That's not the same tv, and it's quite expensive for a 50" plasma. That size plasma should be under a thousand bucks.

I was shopping around for a tv recently and picked up a 55" Bravia LED. I didn't like any plasma tv's I saw in couple of stores, mostly due to the brightness being poor for daylight viewing.

If you have a room with sunlight coming on the face of the tv, I wouldn't recommend a plasma. Though Panasonic is the best brand if you're going for a plasma, don't even look at any other brands for plasmas.

A lot of people have said that it's great value for money. And apparently this model is pretty good when it comes to viewing in a moderately lit room. I am worried about burn-in, but I’ve been really enticed by the rich colours and really black blacks that plasma's give you. Pretty much everyone I've asked has said go for a Panasonic plasma. And the one I'm looking out is right within my budget and has gotten great reviews. Man....so much to consider. And I don’t even know if I’ll be able to find this TV! Apparently it was discontinued! : /

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
A shame but expected, Southland has ended after 5 seasons.

If people like character drama tv, Then you really need to watch that show. It was fucking outstanding.

What's also sorta kinda nearly outstanding in Tomb Raider. There's something about it that i'm really enjoying, Aside from the qte's and press button to latch onto thing moments. It's a better uncharted than uncharted at this stage.

Why would I go beyond the pines when I can just watch Chris Pine?

I went with the missus last night, but her dad is a huge trekkie so we're seeing it again next weekend when they come up from their farm.

Watching Ryan Gosling > watching Chris Pine.

Fair enough. What do trekkies think of the J.J Abrams films

Fredescu

How about watching Chris Pyne?

tumblr_lv57x7STmA1qbc9f6o1_500.jpg

A lot of people have said that it's great value for money. And apparently this model is pretty good when it comes to viewing in a moderately lit room. I am worried about burn-in, but I’ve been really enticed by the rich colours and really black blacks that plasma's give you. Pretty much everyone I've asked has said go for a Panasonic plasma. And the one I'm looking out is right within my budget and has gotten great reviews. Man....so much to consider. And I don’t even know if I’ll be able to find this TV! Apparently it was discontinued! : /

Burn in isn't really a problem with current gen plasmas. Also Panasonic have stopped making plasmas, and are moving to LCD/led so take that as you will.

Shaneus

If you're talking about this thread title, then yes, I do know that you came up with it. And don't fool yourself into thinking that that detail didn't add some extra glee to the thought.
Fuck you, I'll fool myself as much as I damn well want.

Burn in isn't really a problem with current gen plasmas. Also Panasonic have stopped making plasmas, and are moving to LCD/led so take that as you will.
I must've gotten one of the last series' they did then. Not *the* last, but I think mine's a 2012? Or 2011? Anyway, I love my Panny plasma <3

senahorse

I'm clueless with TV's, but after getting some advice on GAF it seems that Panasonic plasma TV&#8217;s are the way to go. It&#8217;ll be for playing PS3 games and when the time comes PS4 games for like 90% of the time. Apparently the Panasonic VIERA ST50A is looking like a good choice for me. Would it be ok if I get a 50 inch but sit pretty close to it (small room). The room will also be fairly lit (I&#8217;ve got blinds behind me so sun light will come in). What do you think AUS GAF? Any advice for me? Anyone here have it and care to share an opinion? Also, anyone know a place I can actually get it? I found this on the Dick Smith website, is it even the same TV?

Great TV, and about the price of what you expect to pay. We have one of these in our bedroom and the picture is nearly as good as our Pioneer Kuro (that's saying something). Has a better picture than most LCD's, Until you get to the top end Sony XBR's or Sharp Elite (about $6000 and not available here) they just can't compare. No motion problems, minimal input lag and great colour accuracy. Also, looks fine in the day time, not as big an issue as it used to be with plasma (edit: I will add, it all depends on how much light you are talking about, nothing a curtain can't fix though if you have issues, also the colour/brightness settings help with this. Because of the incredible difference you get at night and any dark scene in a movie for me personally it's a no brainer).

There is a new model of the viera's just starting to come out, the 60 series. However if you want to game on it, get the 50 as the 60 series (unless you buy a VT or ZT) has really bad input lag issues.

A lot of people have said that it's great value for money. And apparently this model is pretty good when it comes to viewing in a moderately lit room. I am worried about burn-in, but I&#8217;ve been really enticed by the rich colours and really black blacks that plasma's give you. Pretty much everyone I've asked has said go for a Panasonic plasma. And the one I'm looking out is right within my budget and has gotten great reviews. Man....so much to consider. And I don&#8217;t even know if I&#8217;ll be able to find this TV! Apparently it was discontinued! : /

Burn is pretty much a non-issue these days. With our ST50 (as with our Kuro) never had an issue with burn in. Image retention you may notices sometimes when you turn the tv off but as soon as content is pushed to the screen it will disappear. Also there is a "burn-in" process, which is debatable but I have found it works, basically for the first 100-200 hours try not to watch too much content with black bars, nor play games with HUDs for more than a few hours at a time. The best thing to do, is keep it running while you're not using it running some colour slides through it as this will help speed up the process.

Great TV, and about the price of what you expect to pay. We have one of these in our bedroom and the picture is nearly as good as our Pioneer Kuro (that's saying something). Has a better picture than most LCD's, Until you get to the top end Sony XBR's or Sharp Elite (about $6000 and not available here) they just can't compare. No motion problems, minimal input lag and great colour accuracy. Also, looks fine in the day time, not as big an issue as it used to be with plasma (edit: I will add, it all depends on how much light you are talking about, nothing a curtain can't fix though if you have issues, also the colour/brightness settings help with this. Because of the incredible difference you get at night and any dark scene in a movie for me personally it's a no brainer).

There is a new model of the viera's just starting to come out, the 60 series. However if you want to game on it, get the 50 as the 60 series (unless you buy a VT or ZT) has really bad input lag issues.

Burn is pretty much a non-issue these days. With our ST50 (as with our Kuro) never had an issue with burn in. Image retention you may notices sometimes when you turn the tv off but as soon as content is pushed to the screen it will disappear. Also there is a "burn-in" process, which is debatable but I have found it works, basically for the first 100-200 hours try not to watch too much content with black bars, nor play games with HUDs for more than a few hours at a time. The best thing to do, is keep it running while you're not using it running some colour slides through it as this will help speed up the process.

Thank you very much for this &#8211; very helpful info. I&#8217;ve heard amazing things about the Pioneer Kuro.....but I don&#8217;t think I&#8217;ll be able to find one of those. Someone was saying they go for something like $6,000 dollars now! On the flip side you basically sold me on the Panasonic TV, but like I said, they are really hard to find. Should I just go and ring up a whole lot of stores? I might be able to find one online but I&#8217;m not sure I should buy it online. I also wouldn&#8217;t mind seeing one in person first. Any advice on how and where to get one of them?

Glad I don't watch US TV. They just fucking cancel everything.

I guess the UK shows are more up to the creators to keep it going. They do 5 episodes and then dick around for 4 years before doing another 5.

Is it wise to take a Star Trek fan, that too your future father-in law, to a not star trek movie?
Depends on what he wants to see!

I can't see how he couldn't love Iron Man 3. I can't understand how anyone couldn't enjoy Iron Man 3!

"We", and by that I mean me and the Rocket Chainsaw crew, will be at PAX Melbourne for shits and giggles.
Holding a booth?

They should have an Aussie Game Journos panel with you guys and Vook! Give some insight into the dealings with publishers and distributors down here.

Acknowledging the existence of the new thread by posting in it.
deckard.jpg

senahorse

Thank you very much for this – very helpful info. I’ve heard amazing things about the Pioneer Kuro.....but I don’t think I’ll be able to find one of those. Someone was saying they go for something like $6,000 dollars now! On the flip side you basically sold me on the Panasonic TV, but like I said, they are really hard to find. Should I just go and ring up a whole lot of stores? I might be able to find one online but I’m not sure I should buy it online. I also wouldn’t mind seeing one in person first. Any advice on how and where to get one of them?

It's going to be hard to be able to see one in-store at this stage, but with dick smith you can put your postcode in and see if any in your area have stock and then give them a call. Videopro still list them but at $1800.

It's going to be hard to be able to see one in-store at this stage, but with dick smith you can put your postcode in and see if any in your area have stock and then give them a call. Videopro still list them but at $1800.

I can't even find that specific TV on the Dick Smith website. I've been looking online for like the past hour with no luck. I found one on Amazon for $1,000 but they only ship within the US unfortunately. It's frustrating! ;_;

Top Bottom