• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia tour of South Africa |OT| Battle of the Batsmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
A fighting draw would be a nice send-off for Graeme Smith, but still nearly 40 overs to go. One more wicket and they're seven down and into the tail.

It's crazy though, they were 15/3 after about 20 minutes yesterday.

Yeah, but those were the wickets or smith, elgar and peterson.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Uprooted!

Any idea what Clarke was going off at the umpire about earlier? Been weird.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I really, really hope we can get through them now. Duminy and philander can certainly bat though, plus steyn even though he's injured.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Throwing it up, which is very good. No doubt Warnes advice.

I think it was a warning that Players were deliberately throwing the ball in on the bounce off the pitch, scuffing the ball up for reverse swing.
Hmm. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes out at the end. Seems to have been a lot of rather heated chatter. Obviously the state of the test might play into that a bit.

Also, LOL at Warner: "At least we're giving the commentators something to talk about."

Rezbit

This is crap, where is that killer instinct, where is the bowler who says enough of this bullshit and pulls out a great spell?

I was watching Puppy make so many bowling changes in the last half hour and Pattinson trying to literally kill Philander to get him out. All bowlers were bowling like SA was plundering runs.

Simple tactics: Don't let batsmen settle against one bowlers line and length, runs are easy (and completely unimportant) when all nine fielders are in catching positions. All they needed was three chances, they got one.

Rezbit

Don't know what you guys are watching????

Hasn't even been a half chance until Duminy gave his wicket away. Chopping and changing, wasted spin overs, not much impetus in the fast bowling. Seemed a bit rushed and contrived, frustrating blocking, but don't get me wrong will be more than happy to be proven wrong if they get the biscuits.

artist

Banned
Simple tactics: Don't let batsmen settle against one bowlers line and length, runs are easy (and completely unimportant) when all nine fielders are in catching positions. All they needed was three chances, they got one.
Where were the bowlers bowling though? Apart from that one ball from Johnson they weren't bowling to a plan, which is why puppy was scrambling.

Hasn't even been a half chance until Duminy gave his wicket away. Chopping and changing, wasted spin overs, not much impetus in the fast bowling. Seemed a bit rushed and contrived, frustrating blocking, but don't get me wrong will be more than happy to be proven wrong if they get the biscuits.

Got to be patient in these situations, you don't get a wicket chance every ball - this is still test cricket against the number 1 team at home.

The changing of bowlers was to not let the batsmen settle from a constant line and leghth I reckon and runs don't matter at all here. We just need a loose shot to go to a fielder and it did.

Two more c'mon!

Where were the bowlers bowling though? Apart from that one ball from Johnson they weren't bowling to a plan, which is why puppy was scrambling.

Yes, the Australian bowling was getting losse from the part timers and Lyon, however the plan for them was to give the seamers a rest from that end so that he would have Johnson and Harris ready to bowl the last 15 odd, which is what is happening now.

Grug

Watching in high def here. There was absolutely no clear evidence to show that the glove was clear of the bat (not necessarily the handle). You need clear evidence to overturn.

kmag

Again, if you're going to give weight to the onfield umpires initial decision (which I don't really agree with) not really sure you can overturn that, there's enough doubt to have to stay with the onfield decision. I'd say it's probably not out, but under the current rules it's meant to be definitively not out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom