• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
seanoff said:
epic traffic riverside

DisplayImage.ashx

Awesome, someone needs to be filming this stuff in HD. Then they can make an awesome alien invasion or zombie movie......... or maybe a flood movie.

jambo

I was just reading up about the 1974 Brisbane flood. It cost them $200 million, which in todays terms is about $1.4 billion.

._.

Getting flashes of Suncorp Stadium being the next New Orleans dome, but I think it's situated in the wrong area. And, er, doesn't have a roof.

Good to hear Wooloowin/Lutwyche are okay, although the Kedron Brook must be bursting right about now. I do fear for Poimandres' parents place at The Grange, though. Their place is right on the creek, just near Crushers. I used to live at Gordon Park, but that's pretty much a hilltop fortress against flooding.

Again, stay safe, folks.

Mohonky

Pretty epic.

I live in Brisbanes Southside, thankfully, on a big hill. Seems crazy round here at the moment, no where round me is flooded but I'm watching the news like :O

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Heading out to get a telstra pre paid sim as I haven't had reception through vodafone for 2 weeks.

If power goes I need to be able to contact people. oh and gonna get some bottled water.

Clipper

Mohonky said:
http://geekpete.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/brisbaneflood1974_image008.jpg

Brisbane in '74. This is supposed to be much much worse :/

All accounts I've heard so far say that this won't be worse than '74 in Brisbane. Ipswich will maybe be worse, but Brisbane should be better off. Wivenhoe and other flood prevention mechanisms are now in place.

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:
All accounts I've heard so far say that this won't be worse than '74 in Brisbane. Ipswich will maybe be worse, but Brisbane should be better off. Wivenhoe and other flood prevention mechanisms are now in place.

Wivenhoe is getting dangerously close to capacity even with teh flood mitigation

they are saying if Wivenhoe is breached, 74 will look like a walk in the park.

senahorse

Bernbaum said:
I'm sure it's nothing and people are just being prudent, but a lot of folk are going through the checkout at my local supermarket loaded with bottled water, canned food, batteries and long life milk.

Hopefully not too serious but it sums up the situation pretty well...

:lol are you stalking me, that's what we just picked up.

Manholes in our street are already overflowing and a guy 2 doors down is putting up sandbags, it has flooded here a couple of times before (found out after we moved in) and that was with much less water. Our house is high set so we will be OK, but we may lose power etc. Will have to iPhone updates on Gaf if the worst case scenario takes place.

Clipper

Choc said:
Wivenhoe is getting dangerously close to capacity even with teh flood mitigation

they are saying if Wivenhoe is breached, 74 will look like a walk in the park.
But they aren't predicting breach, right? I do admit that things could easily get worse than '74, but they probably won't be, thank goodness.

santouras

speculawyer said:
Yeah, hasn't Aus been in a multi-year drought for a while?

When it rains, it pours.
parts of australia have had droughts yes. Australia is around the same land mass as America so it has wildly different weather regions.

Choc

Banned
Wivenhoe Dam
Releases through five gates have been increased to 344,000 megalitres as at 1.00pm and may need to be increased to around 516,000 megalitres a day by Wednesday 12 January due to rainfall in the Stanley and Upper Brisbane.

trinest

santouras said:
parts of australia have had droughts yes. Australia is around the same land mass as America so it has wildly different weather regions.
Parts? Yeah like 75% or what ever it was up to.

Choabac

My brother was supposed to have a deferred exam at QUT tomorrow. QUT is located right next to the Brisbane River. Looks like that's not going ahead. :lol

Closure of Gardens Point campus tomorrow, Wednesday January 12, 2011
Following receipt of information about potential river levels, it has been decided that Gardens Point campus will be closed on Wednesday, January 12 2011, for the day.

Staff will be informed by text and email tomorrow about future arrangements.

Choc

Banned
Pylon_Trooper said:
Getting flashes of Suncorp Stadium being the next New Orleans dome, but I think it's situated in the wrong area. And, er, doesn't have a roof.

ANZ Stadium is being prepared as evacuation point

Choc said:
the ADF is already involved

many army helicopters are in use

I just sent my brother an email, wondering if he was getting recalled from leave to help with the effort. That said, not sure whether they'd be bringing in troops from outside QLD.

Suppose they need all the medics they could muster, if things keep going the way they are.

Vyer

AUS-Gaf, is Bargara (maybe Bergara?) near this flooding? I know a few folks that moved there last year.

markot

Banned
This is why I like Canberra >.< worst thing that happens here is the occasional bush fire. (although those can be massive >_>)

Grug

Just got back from Woolies btw.

It wasn't quite like the Kwik-E-Mark in the Hurricane Episode of the Simpsons but it was certainly 5 times as busy as it normally would be at 2pm on a Tuesday.

I'd estimate that bottles water was already at about 2/5ths of regular stock and everyone was sort of gathered around, looking at each other trying to ascertain what would be a socially acceptable amount to take.

I got about 10 litres all up, along with some canned stuff and 4 pancake shakers that were on special :lol . If I get isolated, I'll be living on pancakes, tinned spaghetti and pea & ham soup. ;)

Grug

Vyer said:
AUS-Gaf, is Bargara (maybe Bergara?) near this flooding? I know a few folks that moved there last year.

If I know my geography, Bargara is near Bundaberg, about 5 hours north of Brisbane.

That area, along with many others has been flooded significantly. I'm sure your friends are okay though. No deaths reported from there.

markot said:
This is why I like Canberra >.< worst thing that happens here is the occasional bush fire. (although those can be massive >_>)

Ah, Australia. Pick your preferred natural disaster.

"Well, I'm partial to fire. It's the floods I can't stand."

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
jambo said:
How much of the city is being evacuated?
According the Queensland police on Facebook, the CBD is not being evacuated. So the media has been making that one up.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Police just said on tv that the dam protecting Brisbane from the floods over the past days/weeks is now full and the flood gates have been opened.

Gazunta

user_nat said:
According the Queensland police on Facebook, the CBD is not being evacuated. So the media has been making that one up.
The important thing is that everyone's bosses bought it and gave us all an early mark.

Clipper

Pylon_Trooper said:
According to an email from my Old Man, right now 30 suburbs are on notice for evacuation.
Yeah, the list was posted earlier today.

And I just saw the news that they found 5 more bodies. Official toll now at 13, with at least 67 still missing.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Kenmore Woolies is going nuts. No water, no milk, no fruit & veg.

Luckily I bought 24 1.5L bottles a few days ago online and it was delivered on Monday. Supplies wise we're okay but the river flowing through the park is getting dangerously high.

Shaneus

Grug said:
I'd estimate that bottles water was already at about 2/5ths of regular stock and everyone was sort of gathered around, looking at each other trying to ascertain what would be a socially acceptable amount to take.

I got about 10 litres all up, along with some canned stuff and 4 pancake shakers that were on special :lol . If I get isolated, I'll be living on pancakes, tinned spaghetti and pea & ham soup. ;)
That's pretty much what I used to live off when I first moved out of home :lol

Damn, I haven't had pancakes from a pancake shaker for yonks... since Greens were a household name in pancake shakers, in fact! As soon as I break my no-carbery, I'm hitting that shit with the force of 1000 suns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom