• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a bus now - CBD is crazy for this time of day. Hearing all sorts of wild rumours like that the bus network is being shut down - obviously a distortion of the QR announcement.

trinest

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Ah being white.

We dont need assistance from other races. New Zealand can help though.

Well thats how these things always seem to me :lol
New Zealand is like our brother.

Bernbaum

viciouskillersquirrel said:
On a bus now - CBD is crazy for this time of day. Hearing all sorts of wild rumours like that the bus network is being shut down - obviously a distortion of the QR announcement.
Looks like you southies might be getting the worst of it. I'm on a train and don't have traffic to contend with.

trinest

matt404au said:
I'm on the Gold Coast and it's eerily calm right now. I'm scared :(
Looking at the radar its going more inland then heading to the Gold Coast- but that doesn't mean you wont get flash flooding without the rain.

Or get the rain which is building up epic in the ocean

Grug

Geez, Australia Zoo are chaining up their crocodiles to avoid them being washed into a public area.

The footage of the Brisbane River nearly bursting its banks is bringing me to tears.

zenbot

The river @ Auchenflower:
mm5bs.jpg

Offices along Coro drive are being evacuated, as is New Farm.

Where abouts are you cheesy? I used to live in Townsville and there were some very low areas would get minor flooding just from king tides without any rain.

Bernbaum

I'm sure it's nothing and people are just being prudent, but a lot of folk are going through the checkout at my local supermarket loaded with bottled water, canned food, batteries and long life milk.

Hopefully not too serious but it sums up the situation pretty well...

Shaneus

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Ah being white.

We dont need assistance from other races. New Zealand can help though.

Well thats how these things always seem to me :lol
:lol

I think it's more a feasibility thing... it's easier to accept immediate assistance from someone so close, whereas if it's from further away they need to judge exactly what kind of help will be needed over the next few days rather than right now. That's how I see it, anyway.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
pieatorium said:
Where abouts are you cheesy? I used to live in Townsville and there were some very low areas would get minor flooding just from king tides without any rain.

Railway Estate a couple houses away from the Ross River. Can tell if the tides in or out judging by the water in the backyard.

Shaneus said:
:lol

I think it's more a feasibility thing... it's easier to accept immediate assistance from someone so close, whereas if it's from further away they need to judge exactly what kind of help will be needed over the next few days rather than right now. That's how I see it, anyway.

Yeah but i also think its a pride thing, we like our image of being a "tough" people. I remember the US offering Howard some assistance a while back and you just see Johny smirk. Was good lols.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Bernbaum said:
I'm sure it's nothing and people are just being prudent, but a lot of folk are going through the checkout at my local supermarket loaded with bottled water, canned food, batteries and long life milk.

Hopefully not too serious but it sums up the situation pretty well...

It happens with any natural event like this. People freak out thinking that they won't have any water or food for weeks and buy as much as they can.

Grug

Ydahs said:
Wow. Sky News just updated that more than 25 suburbs are apparently under flood warning.

That list was released last night. I reckon things are going to get even worse than that.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just going to head to Kenmore and pick up some milk and supplies. Managed to order a shit ton of bottled water a few days ago. Fig Tree Pocket is sorta situated on a hill so it's only the rich houses that will be hit the hardest beside the river, but I'm still keen to see what the situation is in my neighbourhood.

Grug

Scullibundo said:
Stay safe Grug! Wish you all the best.

I live right where Tingalpa Creek drains into Moreton Bay.

I have no idea if that is good news or bad news. I'm going to get some water and essentials just to be safe.

Rlan

All went home early due to the rest of Brisbane flooding. My house is fine. Lutwyche road is a bit crowded near town but fine near Wooloowin.

Gazunta

Went to work in Fortitude Valley late this morning, and then got told to go home with the streets in Brisbane being closed. So now I'm just home waiting for the wife to be let out.

Salazar

seanoff said:
epic traffic riverside

DisplayImage.ashx

Reminds me of the night my flatmate wedged a removal truck under a concrete lip on the curve as Coro Drive comes up into the city. The truck tilted on the corner and just jammed fast - peak traffic behind us. Many, many laughs.

They've now removed the lip from that bit of the road - even if it was a hilariously freak occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom