• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austria bans the burqa

Status
Not open for further replies.
The general philosophy has been figured out. Cultures need to be mixed and people need to be allowed to do what they want if they aren't hurting anyone.

This is pure utter islamaphobia, and the EU needs to establish rules on this.
Maybe you have the philosophy figured out, but the implementation is severely lacking. The argument here is also that the burqa hurts people because they become isolated from society.

The EU courts have established that these bans are legal.

I wanna repeat what somebody else mentioned. There's only about 150 people this ban would even affect and that's just guesswork, since finding enough people to extrapolate that number is seemingly impossible.

The actual news here is that the reigning parties are threatened so much by our far right party, they'do resort to this kind of populism.

Kthulhu

I can't believe Americans are attacking the EU on grounds of Islamophobia after our president just issued a Muslimban. Insane.

Again, he doesn't deserve that position, and he is doing so unconstitutionally, and with massive dissaproval.

azyless

Radicalism doesn't come from choice of clothing. It comes from support for terrorism. These are *obviously* two completely different things.
I said it was a manifestation of radical islam, not that wearing it caused radicalisation.
And I don't limit religious extremism to terrorism.

I don't see any massive protests in regards to this. Not to mention that Trump lost the popular vote here, the EC is the only reason he won. The people didn't want him.

He also hit majority unapproval in record time.

As opposed to stuff like Brexit where the majority of the voters actually did want it to happen.

By 3 million. 62 million wanted him and 65 million didn't.

Donald Trump and voting to leave a European Union are different things. Also leave was 17.4 to 16.1 million. Your splitting hairs here to suit yourself.

UK doesn't ban face coverings. France Belgium Austria do and Germany is next to ban them.

This US utopia of integration does not comes across well when looking at the news for the last 5 years.

Kthulhu

Maybe you have the philosophy figured out, but the implementation is severely lacking. The argument here is also that the burqa hurts people because they become isolated from society.

The EU courts have established that these bans are legal.

I'm sure telling them they can't wear what they want makes them feel very welcome /s

Thats fucked up. Y'all need a 1st amendment ASAP.

Gutek

I wanna repeat what somebody else mentioned. There's only about 150 people this ban would even affect and that's just guesswork, since finding enough people to extrapolate that number is seemingly impossible.

The actual news here is that the reigning parties are threatened so much by our far right party, they'do resort to this kind of populism.

Honestly, I think this ban is 100% consistent with liberal, anti-sexist believes. It's just done clumsily.

The general philosophy has been figured out. Cultures need to be mixed and people need to be allowed to do what they want if they aren't hurting anyone.

This is pure utter islamaphobia, and the EU needs to establish rules on this.

People need to be allowed to do what they want but within the boundaries of what is deemed acceptable in a modern liberal society. For me that excludes e.g. ritual animal slaughter and the negation of male-female equality (clothing, handshakes, mixed swimming lessons).

I'm sure telling them they can't wear what they want makes them feel very welcome /s

Thats fucked up. Y'all need a 1st amendment ASAP.
America is making Muslims feel very welcome by outright banning them from entering the country, huh?

We don't need a 1st amendment that protects hate speech, thank you.

If you don't agree with the ban, go ahead. But don't pretend the US is better then Europe for some reason.

Kthulhu

And yet there he is, despite losing the popular vote. Maybe try fixing your electoral system instead of wasting everyone's time pitting the US against the EU.

Not trying to put anyone against each other. The EU is supposed to be better than this and I'm calling it out.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
It's interesting, right? People who think the burqa is oppression. They think the women are maltreated by men and restrict them in certain ways. That's your view, fine. Me being a muslim, I only recognise the hijab as traditional. But that's just my opinion, I'm not banning other forms of covering.

Yet you see often liberal men are supporting restrictions on women with a ban. They can't fathom the women having any agency possible if they somehow want to wear a piece of clothing of their own volition. It 100% has to be a tool of oppression.

Along these lines, how is makeup sometimes not a tool of oppression? Revealing clothing? Heels? Businesses that used to and some still advise for women to wear certain clothes. They demand women to wear makeup. Some women engage in makeup and certain clothing because that's how the media and institutions have normalised a certain kind of appearance so they feel bad about not wearing makeup or certain clothes. They can't leave home without it. Yet no one is banning makeup or skirts or heels.

Why are you comparing apples and oranges?

I mean, you could make a case for the sociological pressure women face to wear makeup and high heels, of course, and many already have to a far better extent than neither you nor me could achieve, but it is in no way remotely comparable to the pressure put on women to wear a niqab, burqa or hijab. I would be the last to say this accounts for all Muslim women, but there are many who do not wear it voluntarily, and face physical abuse and familial abandonment or even death by "honor revenge" if they leave the house without covering their head.

A ban is not the way to set these women free, it will only push them indoors, as they are now no longer allowed to leave their homes.

Like mascot/halloween costumes?

Yeah, this sort of thing is impossible to legislate non-specifically. I understand it but I'm ultimately against something like this, if only because it specifically singles out the practice of one religion with a very poor supporting rationale. AFAIK there's not been a single terrorist attack whose perpetrator was wearing a burqa to successfully hide their identity, and even if there was legally defining a piece of clothing seems pretty difficult, much less doing so while avoiding an outright ban on anything which could potentially cover one's face. And as others have pointed out, a ban like this doesn't work in actually integrating women who are forced to wear it against their will, they'll simply be permanently locked indoors.

Yeah, I don't let my wife leave the house if she's not putting on makeup.
You believe that 100% of times when a woman wears a burqa, it's because of men in their culture and husbands not letting the woman out of the house without a certain piece of clothing. I believe that is the case for quite a few cultures' men. But I believe not every single woman who wears the burqa does out of oppression. Let's shift the argument from husbands. Why can't you accept the possibility that makeup, high heels, and skirts are mandated by some businesses?

Where do women's opinions and beliefs come into any of this?

Not trying to put anyone against each other. The EU is supposed to be better than this and I'm calling it out.

You clearly don't know how the EU works. It's not your place to call anything out, especially coming from the United "Muslim ban" States of America.

Audioboxer

The initial quote of mine that you reacted to was lamenting over the fact that this isn't designed to actually help integration. I nowhere said nor stated a belief that the burqa shouldn't be banned but that any liberal intention is completely pretend.

We should ban the Burqa if we think it is something that will aid women and help integration with our culture. We shouldn't ban it on the premise that it makes us uncomfortable or even that we just dislike Islam.

Now, you may ask 'what's the difference, it achieves the same goal! No Burqas!'

Strictly, yes. However the issue is that outright banning a symbol - in the minds of some, not in others, its an important debate but not necessarily my interest here - of female oppression does not end oppression on women. Why do some men force their wives to wear it? Because they shouldn't be looked upon by other men. Now, if you ban the Burqa are those men going to be like 'ah fuck it, wear a hijab then!'? I worry not and I worry that instead these women - and by extension, young girls - will become housebound.

If you have a moral argument, great and I tend to agree with you but when the 'right' do things like this they do it for reasons that don't solve the root issue because their issue never was the oppression of women but a distaste for Islam and symbols of it.

So I would like to think I'm not just being partisan for the sake of it.

Yeah, I mean I guess my thoughts are mainly outlined in the reply above but yeah, I get what you're saying.

Issue is that sometimes symbols of oppression skew in a modern context. Islam favours modesty, Western culture favours sexuality. Almost all women's clothing and fashion in Western society is conform to the sexual ideal. High heels, short skirts, etc... were all something designed by men to make women look presentable and appealing.

However, what is this now in the modern context? Would you believe a woman is oppressed to conform to this standard? I would say that women make these decisions as a choice because they want to live up to the societal ideal, the same reason I dress and groom the way I do. In modern society this does, however, manifest as choice and I'm sure many women in Western cultures choose to dress in an Islamic fashion because of their ideals.

Now, are some women forced to wear the Burqa? Absolutely. Should that be illegal? Yes.

Like you said, it's complex. I'm definitely somewhere in the middle here so I'm not trying to say it should or shouldn't be made illegal.

Fair point, well reasoned. It's definitely societies making judgement calls, and we'll see in time what the responses are like. Obviously as someone who has grown up in a western society I feel there are far more productive ways to dress modestly than to have one being completely removed from society as you struggle to even tell if there is a human being underneath. Time and time again I ask where are the men doing this? As we also know this is partly being judged on for its symbolic ties to ISIS/oppression in the world. Some of our middle eastern "sisters" probably rejoice when they hear of us banning the burqa, whilst we have people arguing it should be allowed. That is symbolic in nature, but many decisions around things like this in history are.

One thing I think most liberal/free societies do not want is the Islamisation of cultures that value trying to be a mixed pot, and not have any one rule/dictate/demand. Sure, that is a tricky balance to sort out with freedom of religion being important, but it's why some of the more egregious or contentious points such as the burqa have to be debated and decisions made.

TBiddy

Yeah, I don't let my wife leave the house if she's not putting on makeup.

I need to put my girlfriend in line, I see. She's not wearing makeup these days, and only wear high heels at New Years Eve and stuff like that. Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

SaniOYOYOY

Good for Austria. This thing has no place in a modern society.

agree burqa is just too much

this is actually more dangerous for women (or generally), as in men can wear those and go to women's bath. my friend said it can happen in some countries, perhaps someone have stories about this?

RangerX

Banned
Terrible and discriminatory law. As much I dislike the Burqa as a garment I don't the state should police what people wear. Exceptions obviously for banks,courts,etc.

Azih

The most absurd part of all this is nobody here seems to give a shit about listening to the women affected by these laws.

azyless

It isn't. Have you listened to Zunera Ishaq? She's only radical in a very Western "Fuck you I'll wear what I want" sense.
Literally the first article I found on Google :
Ishaq told me she respects Mulcair and Trudeau for defending her niqab, and for standing up for multicultural ”choice" and tolerance.
Okay... sounds good so far...
On the other hand she also seems the opposite. She is ultraconservative on segregation of the sexes, homosexuality, abortion, obeying Islamic commands and women being ”unclean" during menstruation.
Ah, sounds very moderate indeed.
Oh and here :
Only a few hardline Muslim leaders, including in Saudi Arabia, require women to wear long black abayas and press for them to cover their faces.
”Saudi Arabia has chosen that law," Ishaq said, in one of repeated references to the supreme value she places on ”choice," including at the political level. ”I would not say that it's wrong. I would not say it's exactly right in Islam. So I would not like to comment."
Apparently sometimes it's just fine to force women to wear something.

As men need to wear a suits in certain businesses you mean?

A bit off-topic perhaps, but I agree with their point. Women are also required to wear formal attire in certain businesses, but unlike women men don't need to wear makeup. That said, makeup being a tool of oppression (though in more subtle ways) doesn't erase the fact that the veil is one, too.

Gutek

You believe that 100% of times when a woman wears a burqa, it's because of men in their culture and husbands not letting the woman out of the house without a certain piece of clothing. I believe that is the case for quite a few cultures' men. But I believe not every single woman who wears the burqa does out of oppression. Let's shift the argument from husbands. Why can't you accept the possibility that makeup, high heels, and skirts are mandated by some businesses?

Where do women's opinions and beliefs come into any of this?

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's like saying: Those poor, oppressed UPS workers being told what to wear by businesses.

Kthulhu

To those mentioning the Muslim ban: The ban is unconstitutional and illegal.

Pls no, the 1st amendment from my perspective is best at protecting hate speech.

It also is supposed to protect religious freedom. Sounds like something that would be helpful in this instance.

It's why the ACLU can sue the fuck out of Trump and no one can do anything about Austria.

From how you talk you have absolutely no clue how things works over here

Enlighten me then. From what I see the EU says this is completely legal. Here this shit would be stricken down in the courts and Austria would be forced to allow the burqa.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
A bit off-topic perhaps, but I agree with their point. Women are also required to wear formal attire in certain businesses, but unlike women men don't need to wear makeup. That said, makeup being a tool of oppression (though in more subtle ways) doesn't erase the fact that the veil is one, too.

Men are expected to have kempt hair and a groomed beard. Sometimes a clean shave is mandatory.

Azih

Literally the first article I found on Google :

Okay... sounds good so far...

Ah, sounds very moderate indeed.
Oh and here :

Apparently sometimes it's just fine to force women to wear what they want.
Yes, and? What does the ad homeniem have to do with the fact she fought her Prime Minister all the way to the supreme court for her rights?

Now if you're legislating against 'social conservative thought' then that's a different issue. Are you saying social conservatives are radical?

Pusherman

The very fact that only women - never men - are required to wear these in some cultures is solid proof that it is all about control and misogyny.

Obviously. Of course the modesty rules in islam heavily fall on the shoulders of women. Of course the most extreme forms of modesty are always done by women. No one is disputing the origin of these articles of clothing. The question is, can a woman still freely choose to hold extremely conservative religious beliefs and wear a face-veil? I see no reason to suggest they can't.

All plastic surgery procedures are disproportionately had by women. For most procedures women make up 80 to 99%(p.10) of the customer base. Clearly, this is further proof that plastic surgery is an industry that thrives on our misogynistic culture of sexual objectification. It ties back to the way we constantly assess a woman's worth on the basis of her looks. And still, we would never tell a woman what she could or could not do to her own body. I'd never prohibit a woman from getting any elective surgery done to enhance her looks, even if I can see the misogyny behind it. Freedom means being able to pick decisions others see as distasteful. Right now there are women staying unemployed because they think it fits the christian ideal of a housewife. In the Netherlands we have a party that didn't allow women on the ballot until ordered by a court in the 2010s and that still discourages women from being politically active. Is that a sign of religious misogyny? Yes. Does that mean women can't choose the be a part of that? No.

Enlighten me then. From what I see the EU says this is completely legal. Here this shit would be stricken down in the courts and Austria would be forced to allow the burqa.

Here is the verdict from the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) on the burqa ban that was implemented in France.

Judges at the European court of human rights (ECHR) have upheld France's burqa ban, accepting Paris's argument that it encouraged citizens to "live together".

How's that sarcastic when it's true?
Because it's bullshit. Those women who wear it "voluntarily" have been taught to wear it their whole life. So it's still oppression.

Banning it will hopefully stop those assholes teaching their daughters to wear it.

SaniOYOYOY

How's that sarcastic when it's true?

I come from the country with largest Muslim population in the world and nobody even uses this in public let alone voluntary wearing it. the Holy Qoran did make statement about women covering their body and but nothing of this kind.

This is a regional custom which I know is absolutely not from europe, and logically if a non european lived in europe, which custom they should use is not so hard to think of right?

To those mentioning the Muslim ban: The ban is unconstitutional and illegal.

It also is supposed to protect religious freedom. Sounds like something that would be helpful in this instance.

It's why the ACLU can sue the fuck out of Trump and no one can do anything about Austria.

the European Court of human rights is not an EU institution. The EU courts defer to regional courts in cases like these, where organizations and individuals will of course be able to sue if this ban goes into effect.

Because it's bullshit. Those women who wear it "voluntarily" have been taught to wear it their whole life. So it's still oppression.

Banning it will hopefully stop those assholes teaching their daughters to wear it.
Oh so the women are non-thinking dummies. They are mindless and cannot decide.

What about a million other Muslim women who dont wear it?

azyless

Yes, and? What does the ad homeniem have to do with the fact she fought her Prime Minister all the way to the supreme court for her rights?

Now if you're legislating against 'social conservative thought' then that's a different issue. Are you saying social conservatives are radical?
I'm saying she's hardly championing women's rights and if she defends Saudi Arabia's laws I doubt she's as moderate as you want to imply.
No I don't want to ban "thought" but I don't want these archaic practices to be tolerated and I don't want salafism to be normalized here.
And yes I'd argue a lot of social conservatives especially in the US are radical christians.

Kthulhu

the European Court of human rights is not an EU institution. The EU courts defer to regional courts in cases like these, where organizations and individuals will of course be able to sue if this ban goes into effect.

Good. Hopefully they can get their rights back.

Here is the verdict from the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) on the burqa ban that was implemented in France.

Your courts are run by assholes.

People will look back on this like when the SC upheld Jim Crow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom