• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

Cars and Coffee in SoCal was pretty fucking cool today. Of course, there was the usual super cars and sports cars, but I want to dedicate this post to something special.

A 1949 Gmund Coupe. One of the only ~24 remaining cars in the world that Dr. Ferdinand Porsche himself built in Austria! Most are in museums or private collection vaults, but this guy takes it out a few times a year.

mdWQ22n.jpg

LNcTvh8.jpg

mWgW6vo.jpg

sdJhdUp.jpg

Hx54E7x.jpg

Qkq7Ehh.jpg

matmanx1

Regarding Smokey's experience on the previous page: The sentence that is telling to me is "Mind you no credit was ran or anything". That tells me that the salesperson pulled the most unfavorable numbers he could find (for you, that is) in terms of interest rate just to see if you were foolish enough to go for it. Dealerships do that literally ALL the time.

When I bought my BWM last spring the dealership did exactly the same thing. I knew I was prequalified through my credit union for whatever their lowest interest rate was (I think 2.99 on a 2009 model at that time) but the salesperson just saw what I was interested in and gave me figures based on a couple of different loan durations (anything from 4 - 6 years). My response was: "At what interest rate are you calculating these payments?"

I believe I had to repeat that question about three times before I was directed to the finance guy who finally revealed it was something like 4.5 or 5.5 percent interest or something through one of their "favored" lenders. And that's not the worst offense, by far. I had a salesman at an Infiniti dealership tell me he could sale me a car for like $550 a month on a used G37 and when I looked at this figures he had just casually slipped in an interest rate in the double digits without ever asking about my credit (which is spotless) Long story short, at many dealerships if they can get away with getting you to sign on the bottom line at a higher interest rate then they will do so.

Know what you are qualified for and go in with that knowledge upfront. Many times they will try to beat your best rate just to get you to pay them instead of your local bank or credit union.

Traded in My 2013 Mustang GT a month and a half ago for this:

2016 Fiesta ST.

20151127_131235_HDR_zpsqgedxbhx.jpg

Haven't missed the power of the 5.0, the Fiesta to me is a much better overall package, and a lot more fun to drive. It is a bit more cramped inside, but I've gotten used to it. Also Sync 3 is much better than My Ford Touch.

Nice car. I like the Fiesta ST a lot!

Cars and Coffee in SoCal was pretty fucking cool today. Of course, there was the usual super cars and sports cars, but I want to dedicate this post to something special.

A 1949 Gmund Coupe. One of the only ~24 remaining cars in the world that Dr. Ferdinand Porsche himself built in Austria! Most are in museums or private collection vaults, but this guy takes it out a few times a year.

mdWQ22n.jpg

LNcTvh8.jpg

mWgW6vo.jpg

sdJhdUp.jpg

Hx54E7x.jpg

Qkq7Ehh.jpg

I said "WOW". What a super rare and beautiful little car. You can totally see the beginnings of what became the 356 in that car.

matmanx1

And a new post because this one deserves it! Last night I got to drive my brother in law's NA Miata. He owns Enthuzacar (http://www.enthuzacar.com/) which fabricates custom exhaust systems for all Miatas. He owns a very modified NA and a totally stock special edition NB that is his daily driver.

The NA, although I've heard him talk about it, I hadn't ever driven it until last night at our family Christmas get together. He casually out of the blue asked if I wanted to go for a ride and I was like "YES!" and then he said "oh yeah, you're driving, I've been drinking all day" to which I naturally agreed to and took the keys.

Firstly, it's a turbo car. He said it makes about 220 horsepower at the wheels which with a curb weight of about 2150 pounds means it drove a lot like a go-cart with a rocket motor on it. It also had a competition clutch, the shortest, stubbiest ball shifter I have ever seen and completely unassisted steering. And naturally, a completely new, totally custom exhaust system and muffler.

The turbo starts to spool about 2200 RPM and then at about 3kRPM you hear the woosh and it feels like you got kicked in the back by Godzilla. The car makes good power all the way to 7kRPM but because it is so fast and we were on public roads mostly in residential neighborhoods at night I tried to be cautious. Even so I managed to completely break all traction in second gear going in a straight line. We both laughed like madmen, of course, especially with all of the burbling and crackling of the exhaust when you let off of the gas.

That car is an absolute hoot to drive and makes me question if it's even necessary to spend a lot of money on a sports car to get something that might not even be as much fun as that little car is. I truthfully do not know how much he has in the car, I don't think it's an incredible amount, but even if he has 10 grand in mods in it (and I don't think it's that much) how much does a well sorted NA Miata go for these days?

Anyway, it was a pretty thrilling drive and pretty eye-opening as well. I've been a casual Miata fan for a long time but after seeing what's possible in terms of modifications I might have just become a much bigger one.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The whole thing with 'pulling up in an inexpensive car' is BS. No one drives right up to the front door and the sales reps have no idea where you parked and what car you popped out of.

I do still think Smokey was profiled and they tried to play him for a fool.

Now that you mentioned it I just remembered my bro in law saying the exact same thing about the Audi dealership he visited in Brooklyn. They just completely ignored him.

That dealership is a SHIT HOLE. I've been to it. Utter trash. Biener Audi is just as bad, too. Nothing but liars there, as well.

The only good Audi dealers are out in NJ.

https://youtu.be/GUDLUSqfqxg

Sooooo looks like the NSX has a ton of technology. Pretty fast. But not that engaging. Kind of the opposite of the original.

The companies use these vehicles as technology test-beds for new approaches to design. You can't really count on one to make money like their other vehicles, but you can count on the R&D trickling down. That said there's no financial gain out of building a new, high-end, but analog sports car. Your engineers don't learn anything new in the process, so there are no side benefits to the design dollars.

Don't expect simple, high-end sports cars ever again. Expect torque vectoring, hybrid drivetrains and whatever is next in the technology pipeline.

The companies use these vehicles as technology test-beds for new approaches to design. You can't really count on one to make money like their other vehicles, but you can count on the R&D trickling down. That said there's no financial gain out of building a new, high-end, but analog sports car. Your engineers don't learn anything new in the process, so there are no side benefits to the design dollars.

Don't expect simple, high-end sports cars ever again. Expect torque vectoring, hybrid drivetrains and whatever is next in the technology pipeline.

Yeah personally I don't mind. I like seeing what the craziest engineering can accomplish.

Yeah it would match lol. I'm now up to 89k kms after purchasing with 77k 3y4m ago, still going great and still unmodified hehe. Most people seem to want a vspec but there's not really much difference especially for the extra money imo.
Congrats on the new car too :) the newest car i drive is a 2000 model lol.

Sounds exactly what I'm after! I've priced out ther VSPEC models, but I'm not totally sold on them since I'll be replacing most of the parts on the car.

I'm just worried that the closer it comes to it being legal in the US, the higher the price will be.

I finally picked up my high school dream car last week after 10+ years. I couldn't be happier, really loving how well the interior was taken care of. I just had to share after I took some better pics of it!

Congrats on the new car!

Brrrrraaapppppp! Brrrrraaapppppp!

I finally picked up my high school dream car last week after 10+ years. I couldn't be happier, really loving how well the interior was taken care of. I just had to share after I took some better pics of it!

RX7 by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

RX7 Interior by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

NOkrIWm.gif

How the hell does Oklahoma hide these cars away from the public? One of my friends was on the market for a Supra a few weeks ago and we found one in Tulsa but he got beat by a buyer willing to shell out double the asking price of the seller.

But anyway, congrats on the car man!

Thanks, everyone! I'm still kind of in shock that I finally own one. I drove about 500 miles to just go look at it and then another 500 back home.

Bandit1

mdWQ22n.jpg

Amazing. Really cool that he takes it out, I would be so afraid some teenager would be texting and run into the back of it at a stoplight.

23436893040_3892d12e1f_c.jpg

Congratulations! Awesome car, looks very clean.

negitoro7

Late to the party, but my gosh Smokey, $13000 for a 2014 Accord Coupe V6 really is insulting.

I got $22000 CAD for my 2012 GTI with 68000 kms on trade-in.

Evo X

Congrats on the RX-7! Looks sick.

Today was pretty fun. Met up with 3 GT4s and hit up Angeles Crest. Gorgeous scenery and barely any traffic made it an incredible experience. Challenging twisty roads really show off the strengths of the Cayman chassis. Doubt much could keep up with it on that route.

Some pics I snapped with my phone.

zjxjI3p.jpg

0GCvrvz.jpg

c4Omlwz.jpg

XjNE9Bj.jpg

pU7YfTA.jpg

IuJTeHe.jpg

matmanx1

Wow, gorgeous RX-7! One of the best looking ones I have seen in a LONG time.

Congrats on the RX-7! Looks sick.

Today was pretty fun. Met up with 3 GT4s and hit up Angeles Crest. Gorgeous scenery and barely any traffic made it an incredible experience. Challenging twisty roads really show off the strengths of the Cayman chassis. Doubt much could keep up with it on that route.

Some pics I snapped with my phone.

zjxjI3p.jpg

0GCvrvz.jpg

c4Omlwz.jpg

XjNE9Bj.jpg

pU7YfTA.jpg

IuJTeHe.jpg

Nice scenery! All of it! That must have been a heck of a drive.

Jackson

So.... This happened.

JZBixbl.jpg

Parked at work. Always park butt first, black SUV came around the corner and swiped me sometime between after lunch and end of day... and then drove off! Hit and Run baby! Security cameras didn't catch a plate. Security guards actually saw that my car was messed up before I did when they did their rounds, but they noticed at 6pm. :(

So... She's out of commission for a few weeks since holidays/winter accidents are a big back up at the only Porsche certified body shop for 400 miles lol. Was quoted $3,200 to fix the bumper lol.

Driving my motorcycle to work (in the winter), but it's been crazy rainy from el nino so mostly bumming rides from my wife's car. :(

Not the end of the world, dmg was minimal, no one was hurt... but still pretty lame.

Buttons

So.... This happened.

Parked at work. Always park butt first, black SUV came around the corner and swiped me sometime between after lunch and end of day... and then drove off! Hit and Run baby! Security cameras didn't catch a plate. Security guards actually saw that my car was messed up before I did when they did their rounds, but they noticed at 6pm. :(

So... She's out of commission for a few weeks since holidays/winter accidents are a big back up at the only Porsche certified body shop for 400 miles lol. Was quoted $3,200 to fix the bumper lol.

Driving my motorcycle to work (in the winter), but it's been crazy rainy from el nino so mostly bumming rides from my wife's car. :(

Not the end of the world, dmg was minimal, no one was hurt... but still pretty lame.

Oh god, my condolences. Was just enjoying your photos of your latest drive and thinking about how much I love Caymans and then this. Hope you get it fixed soon, covered by your insurance?

Looks like a lot of fun. I wish we had more curvy roads around here, but everything is all flat and straight.

So.... This happened.

That sucks, are they going to try looking for the suv? Maybe s/he left some red paint on their front bumper. After the way I've seen people drive in my parking garage, I always find the giant support pillars and park next to them.

Aw man what a bummer. At least it's just the bumper which isn't a big deal. Plus, there's for sure going to be a black SUV in that parking garage with a red kiss on its bumper--keep your eye out.

matmanx1

So.... This happened.

JZBixbl.jpg

Lame! Hope it works out for the best for you. At least no one was hurt and the car is still operable.

mkenyon

Banned
So.... This happened.

JZBixbl.jpg

I hope your Motorcycle doubles as a Jet Ski. Despite the two day break in rain, sti's still crazy flooded here. Now the gound water is just freezing rather than draining too. My back acerage is almost like one giant pond.

More inc.

Sorry about the hit and run, that sucks. Fucking scumbag.

Jackson

Oh god, my condolences. Was just enjoying your photos of your latest drive and thinking about how much I love Caymans and then this. Hope you get it fixed soon, covered by your insurance?

Nah you're thinking about EvoX's Cayman GTS which is Carmine Red, mine is Guards Red. (I got mine first. ;P)

But thanks anyway! Ya my state has a good hit and run law too so I pay very little out of pocket even if I didn't have good insurance.

Aw man what a bummer. At least it's just the bumper which isn't a big deal. Plus, there's for sure going to be a black SUV in that parking garage with a red kiss on its bumper--keep your eye out.

I got a clear bra on it, so no paint trade. The one downside! lol! :(

Bandit1

So.... This happened.

JZBixbl.jpg

That's a shame, what a coward. Also $3200 sounds like a lot, but I'm not sure what Cayman bumpers go for these days. :p Anyway, it could always be worse!

zeemumu

I had a friend in high school who would always pull up in his RX8. I think he totaled it, but his reaction wasn't as extreme as mine would have been.

So.... This happened.

That sucks man but at least it's fixable, although that price is high lol. You could literally buy an NA/NB Miata with that kind of money these days haha.

As for the new Infiniti... it's interesting that they're still going through the plan of globalizing Infiniti. I thought it was a crapshoot since Nysschen left for Caddy last year but I guess this must've been long in the cards. It's also interesting that they're sourcing a Merc engine for the base engine instead of sticking with a Nissan or even a Renault engine.

Here's hoping they keep the stick though. I still kinda want a stick shift RWD family hauler for when that time comes lol.

matmanx1

That new Q50/Q60 could be pretty great. I just hope the engine is smoother than the last generation and if it has a manual, it has less driveline vibration than the old cars.

I'm also glad they are stick with a 6 cylinder for the performance option. If it's got to be turbo everything at least give us something that sizzles more than a 4 banger.

grendelrt

There's no question it'll be in a Z.

The only question is if Nissan will call the car a 300Z (indicating displacement) or 400Z (indicating power)?

Its always been displacement in the past, but they might not want to go back to 300 after the current one is 370 because people are weird.

There's no question it'll be in a Z.

The only question is if Nissan will call the car a 300Z (indicating displacement) or 400Z (indicating power)?

They'll never call it a 300Z because that would imply it is less than the older ones.

I expect them to pull a Ferrari and keep changing the meaning of the names until they don't make any sense anymore just so it can be a bigger number.

Ferrari 246 = 2.4 litre v6
Ferrari 308 = 3.0 litre v8
Ferrari 328 = 3.2 litre v8
Ferrari 348 = 3.4 litre v8
Ferrari 355 = 3.5 litre v8 with 5 valves per cylinder. Because reasons.
Ferrari 360 = 3.6 litres and let's put a 0 for fun
Ferrari 430 = 4.3 litres +0 something
Ferrari 458 = 4.5 litre v8
Ferrari 488 = 3.9 litre v8
Oh wait no that's smaller, let's say it has 488cc per cylinder and fuck logic.

AlphaSnake

Its always been displacement in the past, but they might not want to go back to 300 after the current one is 370 because people are weird.

Exactly. It's a bit of a dilemma. Then again, they might just drop the number and just call it the Z.

They'll never call it a 300Z because that would imply it is less than the older ones.

I expect them to pull a Ferrari and keep changing the meaning of the names until they don't make any sense anymore just so it can be a bigger number.

Ferrari 246 = 2.4 litre v6
Ferrari 308 = 3.0 litre v8
Ferrari 328 = 3.2 litre v8
Ferrari 348 = 3.4 litre v8
Ferrari 355 = 3.5 litre v8 with 5 valves per cylinder. Because reasons.
Ferrari 360 = 3.6 litres and let's put a 0 for fun
Ferrari 430 = 4.3 litres +0 something
Ferrari 458 = 4.5 litre v8
Ferrari 488 = 3.9 litre v8
Oh wait no that's smaller, let's say it has 488cc per cylinder and fuck logic.

That much is obvious. But never say never because the nostalgia for the 300Zs is insanely strong. I doubt it will happen, though. I say Z and Nismo Z. I suspect the standard Z will come with 350HP, and the Nismo with 400HP.

Also, Ferrari has long had weird names for cars before the 488. The 612 was a 5.75L V12. But because of the 575 they had to round up the displacement on the badge to 6L. The 12 obviously indicates cylinders. That's the difficulty of naming your cars based on displacement.

As for the new Infiniti... it's interesting that they're still going through the plan of globalizing Infiniti. I thought it was a crapshoot since Nysschen left for Caddy last year but I guess this must've been long in the cards. It's also interesting that they're sourcing a Merc engine for the base engine instead of sticking with a Nissan or even a Renault engine.

Here's hoping they keep the stick though. I still kinda want a stick shift RWD family hauler for when that time comes lol.

Globalization of a company doesn't require a special CEO to pull it off. Any CEO with half a brain would do the same thing. And honestly, those kinds of decisions come from higher than just an Infiniti CEO. This is the doing of Carlos Ghosn, not from anyone at Infiniti. This is why CEOs for luxury arms are purely expandable executives; in the grand scheme of things, they don't mean shit.

De Nysschen knew that and that's why he bolted to Cadillac because he wanted autonomy outside of the parent company which GM gave him to some degree. Guy is still a colossal dumbass, though.

ruxtpin

Banned
Still want a new fun car, but have to keep waiting. If a new Z is on tbe horizon within the next couple of years, makes the wait a little easier.

ApharmdX

Banned

AlphaSnake

Oman.

I hope they put the engine in the QX50. But I'll get the Sedan if they don't.

All RWD-based Infinitis will boast these engines with the exception of the QX60 since that is a FWD based 7-seater. That'll soldier on with the VQ35 for as long as the Murano, Pathfinder, and Maxima do. Unless the QX60 gets radicalized with a new platform for its 2nd gen in 3-4 years.

Of course the Q30/QX30 are excluded too, since those are Mercs with beautiful Japanese sheetmetal.

mkenyon

Banned
hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype

Looks like I won't have to save up for that Macan.

Unless I somehow can't contain myself and end up with an EVO X or something.

Top Bottom