• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

LOL.
63? thats hot

Ive washed my car at 35* lmao. That was borderline dangerous. Wore gloves and all too. 45* now my lowest limit

63 is sweatshirt weather for those of us in warmer climates.

Today was in the upper 70's, which was perfect for washing my car earlier today.

FStop7

Banned
There were two big events today. The first was the annual Motor4Toys charity car show, which had about 5,000 participants. It ran from around 7AM to 12PM. It was pretty great. Lots and lots of late model sports cars of every type. The biggest "unicorn" I saw was a 918 Spyder Weissach. I got a lot of pics.

The second event was Preview Day at the Petersen Auto Museum. This was... it was an experience. The entire museum was remodeled and looks amazing. And their collection is just... I don't even know how to describe it. It's the most incredible collection of cars I've ever seen in one place. It's not just that it's room after room full of unicorn cars, it's that these particular cars have histories to them that put them above even other unicorns. There was a car that was raced by Fangio. I could have reached out and touched it, they let you get so close. I think I'm going to become a member and get involved with the museum. It was that amazing.

Oh, they had the new Ford GT at the Petersen. It's absolutely stunning in person. You can't even begin to really appreciate the intricacy of the bodywork until you see it up close.

20151205-l1006389pqoyo.jpg

matmanx1

Tire rack, are there downsides to ordering from them!? I just ordered a set of tires for 650 shipped. Local tire shop will mount and balance for 150 for a grand total of 800 bucks. Before ordering from tire rack the same shop quoted 950 out the door if I bought from them. The one down the street quoted me for "just under $1300" (the tires through them are "special order"). Crazy. Why haven't I been doing this all along?

I have used Tirerack.com a bunch and never had an issue with them. I stopped because I didn't like their "recommended" installer in the town where I work. They worked slowly and the whole place seemed a little shady.

I now take my cars to a family owned business across town that does excellent work and is honest and forthright, which is a big plus for me. I may pay a few dollars more for the tires but for me, the upgrade in service is more than worth it.

Speaking of video...

Here's some sights and sounds of yesterday's Cars and Coffee here in Dallas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR4mZ9W2l14

Excuse the shaky cam footage and the bright ass video btw... this was kind of an unplanned trip lol. I didn't bring my shotgun mic nor my monopod to get some decent footage. I actually just wanted to take pictures of the cars but I got there about an hour before the event ended and a number of cars were already streaming out so I just ended up taking a majority of videos.

There are some pics that I took though, but I still gotta run them through Lightroom so I'll post again when I've got them ready.

That BRZ had me cracking up. What a terrible sound! My favorites were the V8's, especially the old muscle cars and the newer exotics. I want a V8 for my next ride because I really, really miss that sound when I stomp on the gas.

Wow, you weren't kidding!

What a incredible selection of cars in some truly stunning scenery.

Also, I'm pretty happy with the winner. ;)

Hah, figured you would be, you lucky SOB. Still, there's a trend that's becoming more apparent in the world of high-end performance cars, that people are more excited by the cars that are engaging and fun to drive than the ones that are the fastest. It's a good trend to see, but I'm not sure it really has any bearing on sales numbers.

Wow that rendering looks great. Better than the NSX and better than the Miata. Buuut, that's just some random dude's take based on nothing in particular?

boltz

As good as that S2000 rendering looks, is there really room for another compact sports car in the market? With the Miata and the FRS/BRZ already out, it seems like Honda would be fighting for a pretty small piece of the pie.

No Love

Banned
Well, I officially hate my Audi. The slave cylinder (pretty sure that's what it is based on where the massive leak is dripping from onto the ground) must've taken a massive shit while I was driving from San Diego and decided to make the clutch permanently engaged so I can't drive the car. So now I have to have it towed and fixed in the morning so I can drive the damn thing back home because I can't just leave it on a random street in the hood.

Lol Audis

I had to push it from the left lane to the side of the road on a busy street. Lame

As good as that S2000 rendering looks, is there really room for another compact sports car in the market? With the Miata and the FRS/BRZ already out, it seems like Honda would be fighting for a pretty small piece of the pie.

The used S2K market says there's room...

Well, I officially hate my Audi. The slave cylinder (pretty sure that's what it is based on where the massive leak is dripping from onto the ground) must've taken a massive shit while I was driving from San Diego and decided to make the clutch permanently engaged so I can't drive the car. So now I have to have it towed and fixed in the morning so I can drive the damn thing back home because I can't just leave it on a random street in the hood.

Lol Audis

I had to push it from the left lane to the side of the road on a busy street. Lame

Just all at once? That's a hell of a thing. Usually those go bad over time and reduce pedal pressure, not just go kablooey.

matmanx1

I don't really care for the instrument display but anyone who's looking seriously at an E-class most likely won't mind it. The rest of the interior looks very upscale and luxurious.

Yeah, they do if they stick to the S2K's principle unlike what they did to the new NSX.

Otherwise, I think the S2K is gonna follow the same exact path at the Toyobaru where sales are fantastic the first 2 years, but once that enthusiast niche market dries out, sales are gonna slow down. Knowing how Honda doesn't like to take risks, it might only live for a few years before it gets canned again.

I believe it's the same reason as to why Nissan cancelled that IDX/240SX concept they did a few years back. They saw what was going on with the Toyobaru and they backed out.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't really care for the instrument display but anyone who's looking seriously at an E-class most likely won't mind it. The rest of the interior looks very upscale and luxurious.

I can't get behind the two slabs of screen in my face. I like them separated how Jaguar and BMW do it. It's just aesthetically ugly, otherwise.

those are touchpads on the steering wheel.

That sounds unbearable and dangerous. Like, really dangerous. I don't want somebody trying to control (and get frustrated by) a touchscreen with the hand they're holding on the wheel. Why?

I'm still firmly in the camp of not liking touchscreens in cars. Just give me buttons. A screen, okay, but I don't ever want to touch it, I want buttons to do stuff in it, and I want those buttons to behave exactly the same on every screen.

And I don't want the HVAC hidden in touchscreen options, fuck right off with that.

TCRS

Banned
I can't get behind the two slabs of screen in my face. I like them separated how Jaguar and BMW do it. It's just aesthetically ugly, otherwise.

it's optional, you can also get standard gauges with an extra 8 inch screen.

That sounds unbearable and dangerous. Like, really dangerous. I don't want somebody trying to control (and get frustrated by) a touchscreen with the hand they're holding on the wheel. Why?

well people who have tested it are saying it's actually very intuitive:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/08/2017-mercedes-benz-e-class-interior-feature-video/

I really like the big steering wheel, though I would have preferred a classic four spoked wheel.

http://www3.forbes.com/business/15-new-cars-to-avoid/16/

Forbes rates the 7 series the #1 worst car to avoid. Ahead of some real shitboxes.

that's the old 7 but the new is also rather meh...

Donos

Interior shots of the new Mercedes E Class:

http://i.imgur.com/r3qQsHC.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/I17Wcil.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/11LisMw.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bLc20m9.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/50rDFFg.jpg[/IM]

[url]http://www.autobild.de/bilder/mercedes-e-klasse-detroit-2016-im-test-sitzprobe-8343957.html#bild1[/url]
[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of pure digital instruments anyway but that looks like two cheap asus tablets glued there. Who designs that shit ...

How long till you need popupblocker for your instruments to see how fast you are going.

well people who have tested it are saying it's actually very intuitive:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/08/2017-mercedes-benz-e-class-interior-feature-video/

I really like the big steering wheel, though I would have preferred a classic four spoked wheel.

I'll be darned. Good on them for making it work well, but ultimately I'm just not a fan of touch-screen devices in vehicles because they require you to look at a screen. You can change a radio station with a dial without looking at a screen, but you can't change a radio station with a touchscreen without looking directly at it.

I am also a curmudgeon with a bias towards buttons and dials.

Anion

I also dont know how to feel about the one screen slab that actually is two lol. Besides that it really improved over the current E class which really improved over the slightly older version before it. Really do like how Mercedes infused luxury (lol I cant believe I used that phrase) in their entire line up.

Dang I just watched that video with the visual changes in Sport mode and what not. That must be kinda cool. Hit a button and not only does the suspension become stiffer, steering and throttle response as it was in the past but the visual "change" in the dials and colors lol
I kinda want to experience that haha.

SummitAve

Banned
I'll be darned. Good on them for making it work well, but ultimately I'm just not a fan of touch-screen devices in vehicles because they require you to look at a screen. You can change a radio station with a dial without looking at a screen, but you can't change a radio station with a touchscreen without looking directly at it.

Agreed. It's not a touch screen while driving, but I've given up trying to control the radio in my gf's new Mazda 3 because I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the radio station quick enough without her being able to stop me. I just get lost clicking and twirling through menus with the crappy touch screen knob. I don't want a bad app controlling functions of my car, when all you need are a couple dials and a few preset buttons.

The new Hondas with touch screen volume control has to be the worst offender. Easily one of the most thoughtless things I've encountered in a vehicle.

matmanx1

Right there with you, man.

Some random pics from Sunday.

Wow, your black and white photos are exceptionally good. I mean, really, really excellent. Beautiful cars also!

FStop7

Banned
Thanks to both of you. I've got a lot more that I'm still sorting through. I'll put them on Flickr or something and link them here. I used to cover races and events but I got kind of bored with car shows. I'd much rather see the cars on track. I might start lurking local track days or something. But "local" is still at least a couple of hours to the nearest track.

I may have completely missed it having been posted in this thread, but the Chris Harris shootout between the 918, P1, and FLF has been up for a few weeks. It's nearly an hour long. I'm only 5 minutes in but they're already on track, which is awesome. Less chit chat and straight to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3YPTkBRaOk

I also found a drag race comparison of the three that was done by someone besides Harris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H43_lkBkGkg

The P1 works the others over pretty good in a straight line. Not really a surprise.

So after a recent discussion with my importer on BNR34 GTR prices, it looks like the prices are rising faster then I had hoped. Currently an example that meets my specifications would cost me $50-60K. Last year it would have been $45-50K. We are now approaching used R35 territory.

I'm still a few years off, but it's not looking good for me...

Xdye7

So after a recent discussion with my importer on BNR34 GTR prices, it looks like the prices are rising faster then I had hoped. Currently an example that meets my specifications would cost me $50-60K. Last year it would have been $45-50K. We are now approaching used R35 territory.

I'm still a few years off, but it's not looking good for me...

1. acquire finances
2. buy now
3. ????
4. profit

1. acquire finances
2. buy now
3. ????
4. profit

I wish... I just bought a new daily (GVB STI) and just bought a Toyota Chaser (JZX100) so there's no room/ monies.

If it hits THE $60-70k+ range (Which it will), I'll probably just purchase a R35. I'm planning to replace my STI with it, if I go that route.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Saw the new '16 Camaro today while dropping off my car for some body work. It's way, way smaller than the outgoing model in person. It looks zippy; and makes the Challenger I'm lusting over seem downright humongous.

So we got someone from the Jets coming to our dealership today for autograph signing. Eric Decker I believe. I don't know if we're gonna be selling cars and running a circus today.

Top Bottom