• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Serenity said:
I would say to avoid being banned make sure you root for the right team.

It seems as if your ability to troll or be a raging fanboy is directly porportional to the sales of the company you are siding with.

This is dumb.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
AMUSIX said:
Another to add to the OP:

I posted a thread asking where GAF's ToS were (had searched the FAQ forum) and got banned for a week. Yes, it was a stupid question, but I had honestly always glossed over that blue bar at the top of the screen (something explained in the thread pre-ban). My ban reason was "sheer stupidity".

So, yes, being stupid and/or unobservant is bannable.

There are two things that we've been told were bannable that aren't enforced though:
-Not reading the first post of a thread
This seems not to apply anymore...was enforced in a single thread, IIRC.

-FHUTA
When the ban-worthy memes thread was put up in the FAQ, it originally included this, stating that it was offensive and sexist. It has since been removed, and I don't believe it was ever enforced.
I hate when people don't read the OP. I even try to bold the important stuff for people btu they still fail. I ban them in my heart.
Serenity said:
I would say to avoid being banned make sure you root for the right team.

It seems as if your ability to troll or be a raging fanboy is directly porportional to the sales of the company you are siding with.
bullshit. I've trolled em' all and never paid for it. You just got to do it with a scrap of knowledge and some grounds to troll.
You find a console, OS, band, director or whatever that I haven't trolled and you've found either:
a. Something from another planet
b. Something I haven't gotten to yet
c. something actually pretty great

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lethial said:
Ban everything.
famzyr.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Serenity said:
Idk just my impression from the people I've seen banned on here and the stuff people are allowed to get away with.

Your impression is wrong. Everybody is allowed to disagree. Everybody is NOT agreed to enter threads with no other purpose than to troll the topic. It's a small nuance, but one best learned.

Osuwari

i got my first and only ban so far because "i didn't read the OP"

i think it was a topic where i made a post that was off topic.

that one should be up there in the OP since i think it still happens.

Red Scarlet

I wish "cool story bro" was.
The airplane picture is?

WrikaWrek said:
Mike Works will get you banned.

Once he got like 10 dudes banned, like they were on a mission for him, his own minions or some shit. It was funny as hell.

:lol I was one of them.

Never ever EVER go against pc-gamers even if you are one yourself. It was the reason I got banned for the first (and hopefully the last) time ever.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Red Scarlet said:
:lol I was one of them.

Yeah, that was undone though. It's inappropriate for a mod to do anything to another mod; supposed to come to me with any issues for arbitration.

LosDaddie

Banned
wow...I get nervous just reading this thread with all the mods/admins/owner in here :lol

And it's good to know that the Plane.jpg isn't a bannable offense, even though I've never used it.

ToxicAdam

The only reason why GAF is worthwhile is because of the bans. Without death, there is no life.

Without the fear of crossing the line, there is no joy in doing so.

That's some zen forum shit right there.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
EviLore said:
Yeah, that was undone though. It's inappropriate for a mod to do anything to another mod; supposed to come to me with any issues for arbitration.
But what if one of the mods is you? Conflict of interest!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
EviLore said:
Mod on mod crime...

I take it mods can't ban mods, but forum admins can, and forum admins can't ban forum admins, but system admins can?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
RubxQub said:
Mod on mod crime...

I take it mods can't ban mods, but forum admins can, and forum admins can't ban forum admins, but system admins can?
Mod drama isn't all that fun, which is why EviLore said what he did.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
RubxQub said:
Mod on mod crime...

No, I use mods as a general term for everyone.

RubxQub

Hitokage said:
Mod drama isn't all that fun, which is why EviLore said what he did.
Totally, I can only imagine all the problems associated with mods no longer trusting other mods and the PR associated with mod on mod crime.
Evilore said:
No, I use mods as a general term for everyone.
Gotcha.

Do all the mods know each other personally or did you guys all know each other from a game or something? Curious how we got the current stock of reds that we got now.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
RubxQub said:
Do all the mods know each other personally or did you guys all know each other from a game or something? Curious how we got the current stock of reds that we got now.
Kohan. If only you played it too!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it would be cool if the banning process was a little more transparent.

it kind of sucks when you have a solid post history, and all of a sudden you're banned for a week or two with little to no explanation given. it would be nice to have a chance to explain yourself, or justify what you said through a single email or something like that.

is there even an email that is checked regularly that I can use to contact GAF admin other than the support address on the site?

RubxQub

Is this thread because of Jewbacca getting banned for calling Dragona a "fucking idiot"?

I haven't been a member here for that long but I lurked for ages. Had 3 email addresses either lost in database crashes or just never approved before I finally got through. After watching the ins-and-outs of GAF for a while, it's really not hard to avoid getting banned here. It has little or nothing to do with rules being "secret".

Don't be a fuckwit and you won't get banned. Calling someone a nasty name might not get you banned but sometimes it might. But the fact that you get away with it sometimes doesn't make it acceptable, it's still rude and not at all constructive.

And the memes thing is all about trying to keep the signal-to-noise ratio acceptable. Sure, a little bit of it is funny and some threads are a free-for-all. Use your brains and don't shit-up good threads with dumb shit. It's not rocket-surgery folks.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
GoutPatrol said:
And I actually made a topic about a NeoGAF youtube diss 2 years ago.

Do you have a link for that? I've heard the rap I think you're talking about and i always wondered if gaf knew about it and what their collective reaction would be.

shuri

Banned
Rez said:

it kind of sucks when you have a solid post history, and all of a sudden you're banned for a week or two with little to no explanation given. it would be nice to have a chance to explain yourself, or justify what you said through a single email or something like that.

is there even an email that is checked regularly that I can use to contact GAF admin other than the support address on the site?
Well, when you get banned, you do get a reason, but I wish there was some accountability.. The mod who did it should be written down

bjork

You can get banned from ban bets if you're me. Or, used to be able to anyway.

It's pretty easy to not get banned from here tbh, any time I have been, it's my own fault. If I hadn't spent so much time gone from ban bets, I'd probably have like 30,000 more posts...

Back over summer, I was drunk and made a stupid thread. Thus, losing my thread making privileges. I tried contacting a few Mods, asking if there was anything I could do, promising to control myself better, etc. since it had been a few months. But no go.

Its not hard to not be able to post threads. Just once in a while I want to start a discussion about a particular topic and I can't. So at times its brutal. But oh well, hopefully I'll get it back soonish.

jax (old)

Banned
That adblock plus business is a load of shit. If you want to make money... make some mugs. I'll buy those but not ugly ass dork-t-shirts or caps.

MUGS.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Rez said:

I agree with this, that way we could learn from other people mistakes.... you know like posting scans :(

Jax said:
That adblock plus business is a load of shit. If you want to make money... make some mugs. I'll buy those but not ugly ass dork-t-shirts or caps.

MUGS.
Day one.

jax (old)

Banned
EviLore said:
Actually it does according to GAF! That one thread where a gaffer's friend was attacked while asleep in his apartment by a guy on PCP trying to kill him, and he used his BJJ training to choke the guy out and escape with his life despite severe injuries turned into 100% "OMG WHY DIDN'T HE LOCK HIS DOOR HOW COULD HE BE SO STUPID I WOULD NEVER NOT LOCK MY DOOR" by page 2.

and/or

a topic that says "attractive girl gets paralysed by flu shot"... getting filled with posts about how she's not hot instead of commiserating on how tragic the situation is. btw, she looked just fine. Some of you mouth breathers would have been lucky to have had her as a GF

sometimes I think some of OT gaf deserves a kick in the face.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is the Imageshack frog still bannable?

Also, people have been banned for usage of "SDF/XDF/NDF/etc," even if joking.

I think sometimes people get away with religion bashing a bit much, there was a thread about gay marriage, people were getting banned for saying anything about homosexuals yet others got nothing for dissing Catholics.

So don't upset gaygaf if you can.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
XiaNaphryz said:
Is the Imageshack frog still bannable?

Also, people have been banned for usage of "SDF/XDF/NDF/etc," even if joking.
And Wrestling Defense Force? ;____;
:lol

Meesh

This is a good thread...I've a problem with forum/net edicate. (neticate?) A lot of what I want to say usually comes out exactly as I'm thinking(which is wrong, wrong!!!)...obviously I'm not Japanese...but at least I'm truthful and admittedly change my mind on a regular basis.

btw, is there a mod heirarchy?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How did mods become mods?

I know i will probably get a nonsense answer to this questions but I am truly interested.

RubxQub

Jeff Albertson said:
I think sometimes people get away with religion bashing a bit much, there was a thread about gay marriage, people were getting banned for saying anything about homosexuals yet others got nothing for dissing Catholics.

So don't upset gaygaf if you can.
Religion bashing should always be fair game, though. Groups of people that publicly admit they believe in fairy tales should be open to ridicule. :D

...and upsetting GayGAF (or any group) should be fine as long as you have solid ground to stand on. If I started bleeting ignorant nonsense, I'd expect to get slapped.

bjork

MThanded said:
How did mods become mods?

I know i will probably get a nonsense answer to this questions but I am truly interested.

When I am made one, I'll fill you in.

bjork for mod

RubxQub said:
Religion bashing should always be fair game, though. Groups of people that publicly admit they believe in fairy tales should be open to ridicule. :D

...and upsetting GayGAF (or any group) should be fine as long as you have solid ground to stand on. If I started bleeting ignorant nonsense, I'd expect to get slapped.

Oh snap, it's on Qub.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Uncompromisable said:
I miss how GAF used to be modded years ago. Those were the golden ages :'(

Nice joke account... This has to be a joke account... right? right?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom