• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 leaked, Oct 18, Harlem Hellfighter DLC

What are you most excited to hear about today?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Harlem Hellfighters were an African-American infantry unit in WWI who spent more time in combat than any other American unit. Despite their courage, sacrifice and dedication to their country, they returned home to face racism and segregation from their fellow countrymen.
Thought I heard of them before.

I'm cautiously optimistic, BF4 was an absolute disaster that suffered from a unacceptable number of ridiculous bugs, glitches, exploits and massive stability issues. It calls into question DICE's very credibility and reputation. They deserve nothing but skepticism, incredulity and doubt in evrything they say. They simply aren't trustworthy enough, they need to knock this one out of the park. They need to deliver a complete, stable and functional game on release day, NOT months later.

Could be November 18th. That's a Friday and some publishers have released games on Friday. Like COD now releases on Fridays, Mafia 3 will be a Friday, etc.

This is also a good point. However it's worth noting that all recent BF releases, even worldwide ones, have been on Tuesdays.

Edit: Nvm. There it is.

The Flash

Banned
What if he was a wizard?

1462548869887.jpg

You're a soldier, Harry

Heroman

Banned
History_WWI_The_Harlem_Hellfighters_159264_SF_rev2_HD_still_624x352.jpg

The Harlem Hellfighters were an African-American infantry unit in WWI who spent more time in combat than any other American unit. Despite their courage, sacrifice and dedication to their country, they returned home to face racism and segregation from their fellow countrymen.
Glad I was wrong, that fucking rad.

From the other thread:

Welp there's the regiment themed pre-order DLC. I hope its merely cosmetic. The BF1 title is still really strange, and they can totally get away with it. It fucks with people reading about the game release history on wikipedia, but era wise it now goes BF1 > BF1942 > BF Vietnam > BF2 > BF3 > BF4 > BF2142

Gimme my Canadian WWI regiments DICE. I'm still butthurt that they didn't find a way to shoehorn CADPAT camo into BF4

I never even heard of the Harlem Hellfighters nor anything about WWI other than the things that led to WWII.

I got some research to do :)

The Harlem Hellfighters were an African-American infantry unit in WWI who spent more time in combat than any other American unit. Despite their courage, sacrifice and dedication to their country, they returned home to face racism and segregation from their fellow countrymen.

Edit: Too slow!

NH Apache

Banned
Harlem Hellfighters info:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/369th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

The 369th Infantry Regiment, formerly known as the 15th New York National Guard Regiment, was an infantry regiment of the United States Army National Guard that saw action in World War I and World War II. The Regiment consisted of African-Americans and African Puerto Ricans and was known for being the first African-American regiment to serve with the American Expeditionary Forces during World War I. Before the 15th New York National Guard Regiment was formed, any African American that wanted to fight in the war either had to enlist in the French or Canadian armies.[2] The regiment was nicknamed the Harlem Hellfighters, the Black Rattlers and the Men of Bronze, which was given to the regiment by the French.[3] The nickname "Hell Fighters" was given to them by the Germans due to their toughness and that they never lost a man through capture, lost a trench or a foot of ground to the enemy.[4] The "Harlem Hellfighters" were the first all black regiment that helped change the American public's opinion on African American soldiers and helped pave the way for future African American soldiers.

Gonna be super disappointed if the campaign isn't based on the Harlem Hellfighters.

A WWI campaign with a mythic black regiment omg.

Maybe that's what they meant by "alternate history"

As in "That real ass stuff they didn't teach you in high school"

Lemondish

Harlem Hellfighters is great. Was hoping to see the story of Vimy Ridge in there, though.

Or literally every battle before the Americans joined at the end.

Ruruja

Whilst it would be really awesome if the campaign was about the Harlem Hellfighters, all that picture says is that if you pre-order, you get some Harlem Hellfighter inspired items. The main campaign could be quite different. Hope I'm wrong though.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I never understood that mindset of being racist against the people who risk their lives for the same country in that era. I thought white people around that time would people happy seeing black people fight in the same war in order to fight against Germany and etc.

Tuffty

I'm not arguing that games don't glorify war, but do you have a similar issue about WWII games? Because that wasn't exactly a walk in the park either and tens of millions more people died than in WWI.

Oh I know, I've been thinking of it more and it's honestly it's hard for me to describe why I feel this way considering other FPS's using real wars as a setting for their game. I think maybe it's the situations are different? Nazis are a prime example of an evil force you have to fight back against. They're a clear video game baddie because what the Nazi's stood for is reprehensible. Whereas the reasons for WW1 occuring are more complicated, there's no distinguishable, clear enemy force you're fighting against, so it makes the slaughter of young men and women more hard to justify in a video game setting (and yes, that obviously applies to any war ever as well). Not like that justifies the violence of WW2 games either....

Honestly it's a tricky one for me, I don't know why this sticks out more than a WW2 game, for example, would do. Obviously I need to think more about it! I'll wait and see how the game is first, but I hope they can show the war as the atrocity that it was. It's just that based off past examples in Battlefield 3 and 4, I just don't see that happening.

I'm a vet, and my thoughts on violence have changed considerably pre and post military, and everyone can have their own opinion, but I would be offended if the AFG war wasn't made into a game because of the shady circumstances surrounding it. I made sacrifices and my friends did too. It's an opportunity to educate people on what happened. I get what you're saying that BF games are over the top, but every single FPS game and about 98% of video games glorify violence. Judging by this thread, not many have a clue what actually happened, which should be offensive to you in its own right. Not to mention, there's no game, book, movie, side scroller that can actually capture the horrors. Not even close.

Thank you for that post, I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I hope I can make it clear enough that I'm not saying you can't make games set in conflicts like this. But maybe something like a BF game isn't the best fit, as you might agree. If you haven't played it already, I'd like to recommend a game called Valiant Hearts. It's an affecting game that is set during WW1 but doesn't glorify the violence and is rather educational on what happened during that time and what it was like for soldiers and civilians alike.

Harlem Hellfighters is the sort of story that could make an incredible movie if done correctly.

WW1 should be really interesting.

Seeing this concept pics from that board game artist made me realize that I really want an alt history mechanized shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom