• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked for FREE with purchase of $15 prepaid phone this week.

Wait, so you can return the phone and not lose your GCU? Are we sure about this?

Also, I bought it for $14.99. Can I go to customer service and have them adjust it to price match radio shack?

thats what im trying to figure out too, getting conflicting reports about the returns.

Also if I do return can I return at a different best buy? Cause the one I went to yesterday doesnt have the LG TracFone so i'd have to go to another one to take advantage of the Radio Shack PM. Kinda wanna just do everything in one trip.

Downhome

When I asked, they said to do separate transactions. So that is what I did.

Two separate transactions.

It's good to be safe than sorry, but I just checked my account. I did three phones in one transaction and they added the GCU thing with each phone. My GCU expires on
Nov. 1, 2020, so you can do as many as you want in one transaction. I can confirm this.

My store said they don't pm radio shack

The person you talked to is an idiot. It's like the second or third store on their price match list on their computer when they go to apply it.

Did you get the deal to work? I remember yesterday their register was janky. I hope it worked out brother!
Yep!! I went to another Best Buy today near my work because I thought it would be awkward going to the one near my home again haha.

Worked like a charm. This is my first time with the membership so I'm excited to do my game shopping at BB from now on...the deals with this thing are great, and since there's one 5min from me this will work out great with all the great games coming out in next two years.

Appreciate the helpful topic and assistance

thats what im trying to figure out too, getting conflicting reports about the returns.

Also if I do return can I return at a different best buy? Cause the one I went to yesterday doesnt have the LG TracFone so i'd have to go to another one to take advantage of the Radio Shack PM. Kinda wanna just do everything in one trip.

If they follow the ad then no. It states in the add that if you return the phone you will be charged the full amount of the GBU.

It's good to be safe than sorry, but I just checked my account. I did three phones in one transaction and they added the GCU thing with each phone. My GCU expires on
Nov. 1, 2020, so you can do as many as you want in one transaction. I can confirm this.
Cool. Guess I should have been more clear: When I asked (this thread), they (this thread) said to do separate transactions. So that is what I did.

Doesn't seem to work for any phone. Tried to go up with a phone they had for 7.49, but it didn't register.

Grabbed the Z220 or whichever was mentioned in the header, and it went through.
So I didn't get a price match deal, but it's a great deal anyway.

Preordered the Smash Wii U Gamecube Controller Bundle for 80 dollars. Yahoo!

Crayolan

Does this work with bundles? If it works with the Smash Wii U+GC Controller+GC Adapter bundle I'm sold, the 20% off that will pay for the phone alone.

Doesn't seem to work for any phone. Tried to go up with a phone they had for 7.49, but it didn't register.

Grabbed the Z220 or whichever was mentioned in the header, and it went through.
So I didn't get a price match deal, but it's a great deal anyway.

Preordered the Smash Wii U Gamecube Controller Bundle for 80 dollars. Yahoo!

Okay so it works with the bundle but if I already pre-ordered (only paid $5) will they still make me pay $95 when I come to pick it up or will it drop the total to $75?

Wookieomg

Success! Got 2 years GCU with a price-matched LG 440G tracphone. Thanks OP and GAF! I may try another day for an additional couple of years lol.

Had quite an ordeal at Best Buy today...

- Looked through every video game aisle for the damn Gamers Club card, no where to be found.
- Asked the cashier, he told me I had to call a 1-800 number to renew my membership. WTF?
- Walked away from him and hunted down a floor associate, he had no idea what I was talking about. Of course...
- Got a manager, manager told the cashier that he had to scan a barcode that was right in front of him on the register to ring up the Gamers Club.
- I tell the manager about the deal and with confidence he tells me "No! It won't work like that, not on a pre-paid phone."
- So I says to the guy... "It will work. Scan the thing."
- Cashier scans the phone and the gamers club price drops to zero.
- Manager runs into his office with a disgusted look on his face.
- I leave satisfied. ;]

Price matched the LG 440, preordered Smash and Master Chief Collection, donated a buck to St. Jude's. All for $16.46. Set with GCU through November 2019.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Returned the $15 from yesterday and price matched two of the $5 phones from today. Four years for $10. I would have done six years but I recognized the cashier (as a gamer) and left the last one for him. Also donated a dollar for the karma balancing.
I was gonna go all digital this gen too...
V6zyMED.png

I returned the first one and bought two more.
6 years?
Oh boy.

EDIT: I must say, this was completely accidental and I hope it fixes itself. I highly discourage doing it as I'm pretty sure it skirts along return fraud.

seat

Damn, didn't know you could price match with Radio Shack. There's one literally next door to my local Best Buy. I suppose I could go back to the store to do it, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the hassle.

Does this work with bundles? If it works with the Smash Wii U+GC Controller+GC Adapter bundle I'm sold, the 20% off that will pay for the phone alone.

Okay so it works with the bundle but if I already pre-ordered (only paid $5) will they still make me pay $95 when I come to pick it up or will it drop the total to $75?

I canceled my old preorder and just reordered.

It's available on the site still, so I'm assuming they'll have it for me day one.

I'm sure you would have to cancel your 5 dollar order, because they'd have to scan the product in again to get you the discount. Canceling the order and reordering was what the Best Buy representative suggested I do.

Crayolan

I canceled my old preorder and just reordered.

It's available on the site still, so I'm assuming they'll have it for me day one.

I'm sure you would have to cancel your 5 dollar order, because they'd have to scan the product in again to get you the discount. Canceling the order and reordering was what the Best Buy representative suggested I do.

Thanks. Do you get the $5 back when cancelling? Even if you don't this is still probably worth it but that'd be nice.

I just did this at my local Best Buy. Only did the original deal of ~$16 for 2 years of GCU but man it felt good.

Cashier recognized what I was doing and was cool with it. It didn't register the GCU at all at first but then she had me enter my phone number and it worked

Brilliant deal

Maybe I'll go to another local Best Buy tomorrow lol

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Joined until 2018. I'm satisfied with that. On one hand it's a steal, but on the other hand BB has our almost exclusive business for the next 2/4/6 years. I'm sure the $120 fee is the cherry on top for them. Win-win.

Thanks gaf.

Just went to best buy, and apparently my best buy doesn't have that specific $15 phone, and when I asked an assistant if the deal would work with a $20 prepaid phone, they said someone came in and tried earlier and it didn't work, so they didn't even let me try. I think I'll try to go back tomorrow and see if I can give it a try with a $20 prepaid phone. My guess is the person before me did something wrong since people are still reporting this as working.

Edit: Does anyone know if it'll work with any prepaid phone, or only that $15 one?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Worked like a charm, the employee that rung me up was already aware of the deal.

I think I'll keep the flip-phone and give it to the loser of a smash tourney I am hosting just so they have something to take their frustration off on!

Koppai

The cashier got on the radio and called over 2 other employees to show them the deal (with price match) while he was ringing it up...they ran over to get their own phones. Did my $1 donation as well!

Employees aren't allowed to make purchases while on the clock. Also, not sure I would be able to stack this with the employee discount either so I don't think I'm gonna bother.

Just left Best Buy. Checked out with the 14.99 ATT phone Z222 no questions asked. Also donated a dollar. Great deal. Thanks to the Topic Creator.

Just got back from Best Buy and got the free two years promotion without a hitch. Even managed to price check the phone down to $5 plus a bit for the donation. Very pleased with this. Always wanted to try out their Gamers service. Wondering when the subscription will show up on my account--anyone know?

The person you talked to is an idiot. It's like the second or third store on their price match list on their computer when they go to apply it.

Called another BB and they said the same thing. Gonna actually go to another store tomorrow and try one last time, otherwise I'll just buy it for $30 (which is still a good deal).

Just got back from Best Buy and got the free two years promotion without a hitch. Even managed to price check the phone down to $5 plus a bit for the donation. Very pleased with this. Always wanted to try out their Gamers service. Wondering when the subscription will show up on my account--anyone know?

I checked my account online immediately after returning home [within 20 minutes of buying the phone] and GCU was already on my account until November 2, 2016

Go to bestbuy.com, sign into your account, then go to Rewards -> Overview

GCU should be under how much you've spent this year

Psykoboy2

bought one phone, got 2 years.

returned that phone, still has 2 years (it wasn't removed like people think it should have)

bought two more phones, now has 6 years total

Oh...yeah. Okay. I'm not sure but I read somewhere (maybe this thread) that returning the phone will charge you the amount of the membership (less the phone's price, of course).

I don't think they can refund you the membership. Probably have to contact customer service with corporate or something to make that fix. I could EASILY be wrong on this, however.

I checked my account online immediately after returning home [within 20 minutes of buying the phone] and GCU was already on my account until November 2, 2016

Go to bestbuy.com, sign into your account, then go to Rewards -> Overview

GCU should be under how much you've spent this year

Ah, thanks for this. Just checked now, and I see it there. Good until 2016.

GutsOfThor

Thanks for this! Just got back and I got my two year subscription. I grabbed the last compatible phone! I'm tempted to go again tomorrow and get another two years but right now $15 is all I can afford to spend right now.

rainy_day

Thanks for the heads up!!

I was not able to snag a $14.99 tracfone but I was able to get the $19.99 Samsung Verizon phone.
Worked perfectly.
I found the gamers unlocked card with all the preorder cards in the video game section.
The look of shock on the cashiers face when the total did not increase by $100 was priceless,

georly

Cool, got it. Cashier was confused until I told him it was a sale best buy was doing. He hung around me like a hawk as soon as I entered the phone section. Guy really wanted his 5 dollar sale.

Iy6AGBl.jpg

majik13

so when you pre order a game online at BB, it puts a hold on that money right then yeah? Thats what their site says. So it basically charges the card at that moment and not later when the item actually ships(like Amazon)?

georly

So does the 20% only work if there are no other promotions? It wouldn't stack with a sale or a b2g1, right?

so when you pre order a game online at BB, it puts a hold on that money right then yeah? Thats what their site says. So it basically charges the card at that moment and not later when the item actually ships(like Amazon)?

It puts a hold, but doesn't remove the money. So yes, you are correct.

Downhome

I recently started a job working at the local Department of Disabilities and Special Needs Board as a job coach primarily for those with developmental disabilities. I may ask the HR person if it would be acceptable to donate the three phones I bought to my organization, since they needs phones as well.

How do you use the GCU? Do you get a card, or a number, or what?

I ask because my parents will be doing some Christmas shopping soon, and I want to know if I can share my info with them or something.

jmizzal

So my GCU is done, just went online and preordered smash bros WiiU and Link Amiibo also had $25 rewards available come out to $37 nice deal :)

majik13

It puts a hold, but doesn't remove the money. So yes, you are correct.

ok, I guess I shouldnt have said charged, but basically "pending" which is almost the same thing I guess.

So my GCU is done, just went online and preordered smash bros WiiU and Link Amiibo also had $25 rewards available come out to $37 nice deal :)

nice, I am likely to do the same thing, Im just not sure where I will be on 11/21 yet. So I dont want to pre order just yet.

I have a TRU $15 online promo credit(expires in like 30 days), and you get a free amiibo with Smash, but you cant pre order and do in store pick up, and the free shipping is like 6-9 bussiness days too.
I still think BB will be a better deal though.

georly

How do you use the GCU? Do you get a card, or a number, or what?

I ask because my parents will be doing some Christmas shopping soon, and I want to know if I can share my info with them or something.

It gets added to your best buy account, so sign up online if you don't already have one. When checking out at retail, they just have to give the phone number attached to the account and it auto-pulls the discount. If you shop online you need your email (username) and your password.

Also, does the discount only work on games? What about controllers?

Top Bottom