• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked for FREE with purchase of $15 prepaid phone this week.

How do you use the GCU? Do you get a card, or a number, or what?

I ask because my parents will be doing some Christmas shopping soon, and I want to know if I can share my info with them or something.

*buy stuff*
"do you have a best buy card? or a phone number we can look up?"
*give them your phone number associated with the GCU*
"is this info correct?"
*have your parents check that it's [krasticles]'s info, and hit correct*

th3dude

Wow. It worked.

None of the price match phones were left on the shelf, but the girl found the last one for me in a storage thing.

Went over to the gaming section, asked for an Unlocked card and to be checked out.

Dude starts ringing me up, does price match, bam done. $5.79. He was amazed. Said he'll be telling his friends.

werks

Banned
Just a little bit of advice. If you can find both the GCU card and the LG phone. Don't talk to any employee about any kind of promo and do the following.

1. Grab the LG phone and the GCU card
2. Hand the LG phone to the cashier
3. Show him/her the radioshack pricematch on your phone and tell them you would like to pricematch (any cashier can pricematch)
4. Once the pricematch is complete and the register rings up $5, hand the GCU card and tell them they need to input your rewardzone #
5. Pay your $5 and walk away
6. Don't say shit about any kind of special offer or promotion, the POS system will do everything for you. The employees don't have to do a damn thing special except for inputing your rewardzone # in. Keep any kind of management or supervisory employees out of it. Get everything done by an entry level cashier who doesn't give a damn about bestbuy.

th3dude

Just a little bit of advice. If you can find both the GCU card and the LG phone. Don't talk to any employee about any kind of promo and do the following.

1. Grab the LG phone and the GCU card
2. Hand the LG phone to the cashier
3. Show him/her the radioshack pricematch on your phone and tell them you would like to pricematch (any cashier can pricematch)
4. Once the pricematch is complete and the register rings up $5, hand the GCU card and tell them they need to input your rewardzone #
5. Pay your $5 and walk away
6. Don't say shit about any kind of special offer or promotion, the POS system will do everything for you. The employees don't have to do a damn thing special except for inputing your rewardzone # in. Keep any kind of management or supervisory employees out of it. Get everything done by an entry level cashier who doesn't give a damn about bestbuy.

This is probably wise advice. Managers would be inclined to look into it and give you hassle. The younger guy I dealt with was really excited when he saw what happened and was telling his friends as I left.

Did this no problems, and the cashier totally knew about this promotion. He told me a guy had come earlier in the store and bought four of the phones and got 8 year's worth of Gamers Club.

He also said he hid one for himself. Haha.

Worked great! Cashier was aware of the plan. Thanks, OP. I bought the $14.99 phone; I'm going to donate it to charity. Also donated a buck to St. Jude. Feels good, man.

So my account doesn't show an expiration date like it's supposed to. Still shows Gamers Club Unlocked, though. Am I doing something wrong?

It should give a November 2, 2016 date in blue just to the right of the GCU graphic.

Worked great! Cashier was aware of the plan. Thanks, OP. I bought the $14.99 phone; I'm going to donate it to charity. Also donated a buck to St. Jude. Feels good, man.

It should give a November 2, 2016 date in blue just to the left of the GCU graphic.

Nope, just the graphic on mine for some reason.

werks

Banned
This is probably wise advice. Managers would be inclined to look into it and give you hassle. The younger guy I dealt with was really excited when he saw what happened and was telling his friends as I left.

Also if the cashier sees the GCU ring up as $0.00 and tries to get the manager involved, just run your debit card. Once the receipt prints, the GCU is added to your account. The manager cant refund the GCU, only the phone.

th3dude

Also if the cashier sees the GCU ring up as $0.00 and tries to get the manager involved, just run your debit card. Once the receipt prints, the GCU is added to your account. The manager cant refund the GCU, only the phone.

Also good advice. Best case you get a cool person that also wants to use the deal :)

Lax1085

Banned

lol and RUN

Gunsmithx

Just did this at the doral best buy in sfl. Funny thing was the casheir was trying to be nice and tell me the the gamers club was 40 with a game but I said just watch and he said it was the first he had seen. :)

Nope, just the graphic on mine for some reason.

I'm sorry, I meant the right of the graphic. Anyway, this is what it should look like:

nCB3iRI.png

Crayolan

Yeah I don't think they have a system like Gamestop where they can keep your money.

Yep! I just got back from Best Buy, they had just sold out of LG Tracfones (someone else taking advantage of this deal I'm sure), but thankfully had 1 AT&T Z222 left. Picked that up with a GCU card and got it all for $17 with tax and a $1 charity donation included. Then I went to the store pickup area, redid my Smash bundle and OR preorders with no additional charge, and they assured me the GCU discount will be included when I come to pick them up.

GAF is the best.

werks

Banned
lol and RUN

No need for that, the only thing the manager can do is refund you a phone you didn't want anyway. There isn't a way to refund the GCU because the card isn't worth anything. Once the transaction is posted, it applies to your account. The manager won't have anyway to take that away.

I needed a backup phone for emergencies anyway so this worked out for me. (My current S3 has battery issues).

Wouldn't have even heard about GCU if it weren't for this thread. Thanks!

The cashier at my Best Buy was aware of the deal and allegedly couldn't price match it herself. So she sent me to the customer service lanes, where sure enough the manager refused to match because they couldn't "double dip."

Douche. Whatever. 16 bucks for a burner and 2 year subscription. Satisfied.

Slixshot

Banned
wait so whats the step by step process?

1. Grab phone
2. Bring to registar
3. Input phone number
4. Profit?

Or do you have to ask for it?

wait so whats the step by step process?

1. Grab phone
2. Bring to registar
3. Input phone number
4. Profit?

Or do you have to ask for it?

You shouldn't have to ask for it

You need to bring one of the phones, preferably the LG or AT&T models mentioned in OP, to the register with a 2 year Gamers Club Unlocked Membership card which can be found in the Gaming section usually by the XBL and/or PSN cards [it's blue and says $119.99 on the corner of it]

Then at the register, give the cashier your phone number prior to scanning the GCU card and double-check your account info

Basically at the register

1. Give phone number, verify Best Buy account
  2. Have the phone scanned
  3. Have the GCU scanned
  4. Total should come out to $16 something or $5 something if you ask the cashier to price match the LG phone with Radioshack

Slixshot

Banned
You shouldn't have to ask for it

You need to bring one of the phones, preferably the LG or AT&T models mentioned in OP, to the register with a 2 year Gamers Club Unlocked Membership card which can be found in the Gaming section usually by the XBL and/or PSN cards [it's blue and says $119.99 on the corner of it]

Then at the register, give the cashier your phone number prior to scanning the GCU card and double-check your account info

Basically at the register

1. Give phone number, verify Best Buy account
  2. Have the phone scanned
  3. Have the GCU scanned
  4. Total should come out to $16 something or $5 something if you ask the cashier to price match the LG phone with Radioshack

You da man. Thank you very much.

Jomjom

Banned
Well, technically the best deal is definitely on new games.

Higher starting price = higher price drop

But, savings are savings, so I'll definitely take clearance items for even less.

Well I'm looking at the savings from the sale or clearance and then the GCU on top of that. I rarely find $60 spent on a new game to be worth it. Id much rather spend 40 less and wait a bit.

Ziocyte

Woohoo! Just got home from my pickup.

Price matched the LG440G phone to Radioshack for $5 then donated the $10 back to St. Judes. The girl at the register gave me a big smile and said "That was the biggest donation I've ever seen here!"

Immediately walked over and bought Bayonetta 2 which I didn't get a chance to pick up last week because I was sick. Also grabbed Fantasy Life as my first Christmas gift purchase of the year for my wife. The gamer club has already payed for itself! :D

Jomjom

Banned
The real winner from this promotion btw? St. Jude Children's Hospital obviously.

All the gamers feeling generous from getting this steal of a deal.

Seventh

Yeah don't get a manager involved if you can help it.

I just got back from Best Buy. They were out of the GCU cards but the person who helped me said he could just enter it manually. I decided to do 2 separate transactions so I could get 4 years, and the first transaction went through without any issues. But for the second one, the person forgot to enter the GCU number and I didn't notice until I was walking back to my car. I took my receipt back to customer service to get it fixed, but the person there had no idea about the promotion and called over the manager. She said the promotion wouldn't work the the phone I bought, and she seemed to think it was only for new, not existing, GCU members. I eventually got everything sorted out by showing them my first receipt, but it did take awhile.

Slixshot

Banned
Woohoo! Just got home from my pickup.

Price matched the LG440G phone to Radioshack for $5 then donated the $10 back to St. Judes. The girl at the register gave me a big smile and said "That was the biggest donation I've ever seen here!"

Immediately walked over and bought Bayonetta 2 which I didn't get a chance to pick up last week because I was sick. Also grabbed Fantasy Life as my first Christmas gift purchase of the year for my wife. The gamer club has already payed for itself! :D

tumblr_mawazmNPQZ1qhq58jo1_500.gif

galvatron

Despite getting in on the discount with a game just yesterday I went in for another 2 years with the radio shack match on the phone. Thanks GAF

LOLCats

Banned
BestBuy locking thousands of people into game purchases. Its going to be real hard shopping elsewhere on new games after you get that 20% off.

I personally haven't bought a game from amazon in over a year.

Jomjom

Banned
BestBuy locking thousands of people into game purchases. Its going to be real hard shopping elsewhere on new games after you get that 20% off.

I personally haven't bought a game from amazon in over a year.

This. Amazon's been shitting the bed when it comes to game deals. I cannot remember the last time they had a good deal on games.

For all the new GCU members wait until you get into the 100% trade bonus deals and trading games between GS and BB to make store credit. I think I had about $3000 in credit shifting back and forth between the two stores at one time.

Jomjom

Banned
Do they give even remotely fair trade in values? I've never done it there before.

I traded MK8 for like $56 or $58 a while back. You consider values like that good? Of course its not often its like that, but happens fairly regularly.

Juice

This worked for me although it turns out that I already had free GCU because I'm an elite rewards member?

I don't know why I am, since I hardly buy things from best buy.

A friend is a senior manager at their HQ though. Maybe they have a friends list.

Shrug.

kahi

Do they give even remotely fair trade in values? I've never done it there before.

They are giving $42 for Sunset Overdrive right now. I paid $48 for it with GamerClub Unlocked, and plan on trading it in now that I'm done towards Halo MCC, which I'll also get for $48.

Essentially I will have paid $54 total for Halo MCC and Sunset Overdrive not counting the $10 credit I am getting back on Halo MCC for preordering

Jomjom

Banned
This worked for me although it turns out that I already had free GCU because I'm an elite rewards member?

I don't know why I am, since I hardly buy things from best buy.

A friend is a senior manager at their HQ though. Maybe they have a friends list.

Shrug.

Its not free with elite. You probably were a subscriber of the old @gamer magazine they had?

Evo X

Can you trade in toward a preorder? I'll trade in COD for AssCreed.

Yeah, they just give you a giftcard. You can put it towards anything you want. Don't even have to use it right away.

They gave me $36.80 for Diablo 3 PS4. Not bad. Pre-ordered AC Unity for $14 and some change.

I did this today. First, I went to my local best buy this morning and tried it. The cheapest phone they had was $20. I made the mistake of telling them that i was buying the phone to get the free unkocked gamers club. Cashier called over a supervisor and he wouldnt process my purchase. He made a big stink about it. Lied to my face. Said i needed two year activation according to the ad. I showed him the ad and that it didnt say anything abouy that. He didnt budge and told the cashiers not to ring it up for me.

I wrnt to another best buy, and they had the $15 att samsung phone (they also were out of the lg tracfone so i couldnt do yhe $5 price match). I grabbed the gamers card, $15 phone and cod: aw. This time i didnt say anything and just walked up to yhe cashier and asked her to ring up the phone and card first. I gave her my best buy rewards information first and it went through easy. Then i bought the game and got 20% instantly. Got everything for about $63.

This is hilarious advice.

So I just need to show them the phone number attached to my best buy account for then to add the GCU to the account? When does this deal end btw?

So I just need to show them the phone number attached to my best buy account for then to add the GCU to the account? When does this deal end btw?

Pretty much. Tell them the phone number to your account before they begin ringing you up. This will cause the gcu to link to your account automatically. I also heard that the cashier may have trouble if they ring the gcu first.

The deal ends saturday. But there is a possibility BB may close the loophole which allows us to get the gcu membership by buying cheap phones off contract.

Top Bottom