• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked for FREE with purchase of $15 prepaid phone this week.

Exile20

Goto your account, click on rewards -> overview.

14caa3bf6ac109ef665bebd3f468bacb.png

:(

I did the $30 with a game, the $15 with the phone and the $7 with an activation pack and ended up with

Oct. 24, 2020
Club Benefits

Just got the welcome package with coupons in email. Pretty bad coupons. 50% off strategy guide, buy 2 get 1 free used game, and save 10% on digital gaming purchase. But I didnt expect anything anyways

BlindRage

I feel like I need to do this, even though I don't think Best Buy will exist by then.
I mean, with $5-7 for 2 years it'll pay for itself just with games I buy this year. So say they go out of business in 2020(guess, I hope not) I'll still have 5+ years where I got 20% off? Not to mention the plenty glitches that the BB website has that GCU usually stacks with. Seems like a no brainer.

Prolly make 1 more trip tomorrow to add it til 2030-2032.

netguy503

I feel like I need to do this, even though I don't think Best Buy will exist by then.

I think I'm going to chance it and do the activation card and at least take me to 2022. That way I will have gamers club for the rest of the ps4's life and I also have almost enough 1 year playstation plus cards to last that long as well. So I am covered for a generation that just begun. lol

Petrie

Banned
I think I'm going to chance it and do the activation card and at least take me to 2022. That way I will have gamers club for the rest of the ps4's life and I also have almost enough 1 year playstation plus cards to last that long as well. So I am covered for a generation that just begun. lol

Yeah I'm at 2020 now, but I think I need to go back at least once more and double down. Can't resist.

Even if I am unsure the next consoles will have disks.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
So can I price match targets buy2get1 free at best buy next week?
Yeah, but it won't stack with the 20% off GCU.

Yeah I'm at 2020 now, but I think I need to go back at least once more and double down. Can't resist.

Even if I am unsure the next consoles will have disks.

It'll be worth it for the going-out-of-business deals.

Evo X

Damn, I don't know how you guys are buying this for 10-12 years. Are you sure you're even going to be interested in video games that far down the line? Life can change A LOT in that amount of time.

Or what if an even better competitor comes along, or there is no more physical media? Just seems like a waste IMO.

Petrie

Banned
Damn, I don't know how you guys are buying this for 10-12 years. Are you sure you're even going to be interested in video games that far down the line? Life can change A LOT in that amount of time.

Or what if an even better competitor comes along, or there is no more physical media? Just seems like a waste IMO.

I've been interested in video games for 27 of my 29 years now. That isn't going to change.

I need to buy 1 game in a 2 year span for this to be worth it.

It's $7, it's worth rolling the dice on "life changing".

Compbros

For 35~ dollars now you're getting 20 percent off new games and 10 percent off used games plus bonus trade in value for 10 years. You buy 3 new games and you've already paid it off and now every extra purchase is just money saved. Unless you plan to buy 2 games in 10 years then even if you stop gaming a few years down the line you still come out ahead.

Exile20

It is so cheap tho, you would be knocking yourself if you didn't for $5.

It's low risk. It'll pay for itself for most people by the end of the year.

Are you able to buy the phone for $15, the card for $6 in separate transactions at the same BB for the extensions each time? Somehow I feel like they wouldn't go for it.

Piscus

Are you able to buy the phone for $15, the card for $6 in separate transactions at the same BB for the extensions each time? Somehow I feel like they wouldn't go for it.

I bought two activation cards at once, I just made sure the employee rang up the GCU card twice before I gave her the Net10 cards to scan. Worked like a charm, she didn't even bat an eye.

The fact they STILL have yet to shut this deal down after people are price matching 5 dollar phones, makes me consider what I thought was previously unlikely, that they're going to nerf Gamers Club sometime in the future.

Not immediately, but can they afford to give discounts to ALL these people for new games?

Zabka

I bought two activation cards at once, I just made sure the employee rang up the GCU card twice before I gave her the Net10 cards to scan. Worked like a charm, she didn't even bat an eye.

Glad to hear that worked.

I checked a Best Buy on the way in and they had zero GCU cards on the racks and the employee I asked about it acted super weird when I asked if they had any left.

The fact they STILL have yet to shut this deal down after people are price matching 5 dollar phones, makes me consider what I thought was previously unlikely, that they're going to nerf Gamers Club sometime in the future.

Not immediately, but can they afford to give discounts to ALL these people for new games?

If it gets people to shop at Best Buy it could be good for them. I pretty much stopped getting my games at Amazon ever since I became a member earlier this year.

Part of the small print on the back of GCU cards and on the site for GCU specifies the 20% off on all new game software. There is no wiggle room to try and get out of that

What I'm more curious about is if Best Buy ever wanted to stop GCU, what would happen to those with long memberships? I assume we would still get the benefits because they promised us that legally but no new members could join and memberships couldn't be extended

Toki767

You guys should make sure to go to the forums and up vote the requests for the GCU discount to apply for digital cards too.

Piscus

Glad to hear that worked.

I checked a Best Buy on the way in and they had zero GCU cards on the racks and the employee I asked about it acted super weird when I asked if they had any left.

Yeah, the lady was super confused when I asked to extend my GCU subscription. There were no cards on the rack and she had to ask on the radio what to do. Once she found a card I essentially told her what to do, haha. Never got no beef for it though!

Brew124

Best Buy's GCU has a limit of 3 games per platform per year. Unless someone else has found anything otherwise, this is from a Best Buy rep on CAG: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/334126-best-buy-ups-gcu-limits-to-3-per-platform/

Yeah, it's 3 of the same game per platform, per year. That Best Buy rep even says so in that post.

"For clarity, when we say “per platform”, we’re referring to each console. For example, you could purchase three copies of any given title on Xbox One. Then, you could purchase three more copies of that title on PlayStation 4."

kewlmyc

Just did this. Can't believe that worked, holy crap.

Also, these stack apparently? As in if I buy another 2 year subscription it'll move my expiration date to 2018?

tmac456

grabbed 2 net10 cards with 2 GCU cards and went over to customer service and got to educate 2 very cute girls on this great deal. they were impressed and said they're likely gonna take advantage even though they don't own any systems

Yeah, it's 3 of the same game per platform, per year. That Best Buy rep even says so in that post.

"For clarity, when we say “per platform”, we’re referring to each console. For example, you could purchase three copies of any given title on Xbox One. Then, you could purchase three more copies of that title on PlayStation 4."

Does anyone know if you can get a $10 rewards certificate for preordering with each of those purchases? Like say I preordered and proceeded to buy 3 copies of GTA 5 for XBone and preorder and purchase 3 copies of GTA 5 for PS4. Would I receive $60 in coupons or only $10 per platform (so $20 total)?

I'm asking because if it is the former, I can just sell 5 games on Craigslist for ~$50 sealed and the 6th copy would basically pay for itself.

Does anyone know if you can get a $10 rewards certificate for preordering with each of those purchases? Like say I preordered and proceeded to buy 3 copies of GTA 5 for XBone and preorder and purchase 3 copies of GTA 5 for PS4. Would I receive $60 in coupons or only $10 per platform (so $20 total)?

I'm asking because if it is the former, I can just sell 5 games on Craigslist for ~$50 sealed and the 6th copy would basically pay for itself.

From here

Q5: Can I pre-order and purchase multiple copies of an eligible game and get multiple rewards?
A5: No. There is a limit of one (1) award per My Best Buy member per game title.

I don't believe it's platform agnostic either in this promotion. IE you buy GTAV once for PS4 and once for XB1 and you'd still only receive $10 in reward certificates

rainy_day

Dang! I should have checked this thread before heading back to the store!!!
I ended up getting the Gusto3 again because they raised the price of the Z222 back to $24.99.

I will be making another trip to get the sim card!!!! i will be at 2020 then :) muwhahahaha!

netguy503

um, guys, how long does it take to update your account online after purchase? I JUST came back from the store and had quite an adventure and from that I learned I'm never doing this sale again this week. I tried to do the sim card and that didn't work even though the computer had the card go down to zero after the sim card was scanned (but no, they dont want to listen to their own computers). Luckily, I still got a $14.99 phone so 4 years for $30 when this deal was originally this card for $30 IF you bought a $40 game, right? Anyway, my site still says I'm at 2020 when I should be at 2022 now (at least my date is showing up at all unlike some people here). Does it matter that I used the gamers club unlocked code I used l got last time to extend my years? BTW, the cashier would NOT give me my gamers club card back when they let me walk out with it last time (thats kind of rude and telling me they are fed up with this deal right about now). Anyway, my best buy is filled with new employees so I'm not even attempting to do this deal again I just wanted to secure my membership through this generation BUT I WANT WHAT I PAYED FOR TO SHOW UP IN MY ACCOUNT! Especially when I didn't fully rip them off because I bought the $15 phones with no pricematch. :(

jrDev

WTF is going on in here? I can get another 2 years a different way? :O

This will be the most I've ever been to best buy in months...

rainy_day

Just got back from my store and someone wiped out the sim cards :(
Also the power was out which was really strange (seeing how everything else on the block was fine.
How fast do they restock? Thinking of trying tomorrow on lunch.

netguy503

Can someone answer my question above. If I reused a old gamers club unlock card would that still reup my years? Because I'm still at 2020 right now when I should be at 2022.

Also I'm done with this deal. Too much hassle and confusion at my best buy. $30 for 4 years. I think I'm just gonna quit while I'm ahead.

Xamdou

Why does everyone think best buy is going out of business? Secret insiders on gaf all over the damn place.

I know right? Bestbuy is the best place for gamers compared to Amazon and GameStop because of GCU's 20% off games. They even price match on the bloody spot and give out $10 certificate on certain preorders.

Can someone answer my question above. If I reused a old gamers club unlock card would that still reup my years? Because I'm still at 2020 right now when I should be at 2022.

Also I'm done with this deal. Too much hassle and confusion at my best buy. $30 for 4 years. I think I'm just gonna quit while I'm ahead.

Same GCU card should work fine. They all have the same bar code number on the back so it's irrelevant if you use one or the other

Top Bottom