• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: "Please Stand By" (aka obvious Fallout teaser) [maybe not crossgen]

Which platform will you play Fallout 4 on?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Par Score

Even ignoring how disappointing it would be for Fallout 4 specifically to be crossgen, consider what it says about the industry that a game releasing in 2016/2017 would still be coming out on 2007 consoles, rather than just the 2013 consoles.

We'll be more than halfway through the normal span of a console generation, and big hitters like this would still have one foot firmly in the previous generation.

Fallout-4-landscape-600x300.jpg

Lol that's 3 right? I can see DC in the distance.

Except that those icon files

xbox-one-icon-black.svg

xbox-360-icon-black.svg

ps4-icon-black.svg

ps3-icon-black.svg

are all 60x12 and placed in the assets folder. I've looked at their other cross-gen games (namely, The Evil Within) but they don't use similarly sized assets.
How long have you been a detective?
But honestly, that's some seriously good work

DOWN

Banned
No it isn't lol... the only logical reason one could be "held back" is if the developer of the current gen version has to spend development time to port it over.

No, if the publisher decides it will be cross gen, they require the primary team to collaborate on feasible features and scale for porting with the porting crew. They don't let the core team make a world that can't be ported over due to complexity and scale, and they don't let them do a core feature set that can't be run on last gen.

a916

For a forum that's usually so knowledgeable, there's a lot of people that are completely misinformed when it comes to cross-gen.

No, if the publisher decides it will be cross gen, they require the primary team to collaborate on feasible features and scale for porting with the porting crew. They don't let the core team make a world that can't be ported over due to complexity and scale, and they don't let them do a core feature set that can't be run on last gen.

As someone who works in the industry I can tell you how little of that makes sense. There's nothing that Bethesda is going to do that will be completely unfeasible in one shape or another on the PS3/X360.

This is what's going to happen:

1) Fallout 4 reveal. Will look absolutely STUNNING, bigger than ever, AI as complex as it can be, and fantastic lighting. They promise parity between all consoles.
2) Closer to release. Trailers will keep making it look AMAZING. PS3 and Xbox 360 screens start to pop up, and it will look like ass. Geometry will be there, but it will run at 20fps with no dynamic lighting and shadows. No news for the PS4 and X1.
3) Upon release. PS4 and X1 gets leaked at showrooms. These versions will NOT look like the E3 reveal. Fans will cry to Bethesda saying they lied! Screen comparisons will show lack of fog, lesser shaders, and a grass texture removed for the final retail version.
4) Defenders will bring up Watch Dogs and Witcher 3 as past examples of games that looked better upon first showing than the final copy. PC enthusiasts will stay positive.
5) Game will release, and everyone will try it.
6) The cycle continues for the next open world game.

This sounds so familiar.

Cathcart

You guys know how the site is fallout.bethsoft.com? I think the css might be there because that site is for the whole franchise, including the previous titles. Just like http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-us/games/assassins-creed-syndicate/

A lot of developers/publishers are doing this, like all in one sites. Could be the same case with Fallout.

Yeah that's what it is. Web developers copy/paste this kind of boilerplate code all the time.

It's really nothing, guys. Give it a rest.

120v

Man if this is cross gen... I don't know what I'd do

I've put together a rig specifically for anticipation of this game

*Actives V.A.T.S.*
*Aims for Head*
*Unloads all AP on target and fires*

DON'T EVEN JOKE ABOUT THAT!

Uses Super Stimpack and Doctor's Bag.

I guess I am just indifferent to whether this is cross-gen or not. I'm curious to see if Fallout 4 will follow Fallout 3 or New Vegas level progression.

Jarmel

Banned
This is what's going to happen:

1) Fallout 4 reveal. Will look absolutely STUNNING, bigger than ever, AI as complex as it can be, and fantastic lighting. They promise parity between all consoles.
2) Closer to release. Trailers will keep making it look AMAZING. PS3 and Xbox 360 screens start to pop up, and it will look like ass. Geometry will be there, but it will run at 20fps with no dynamic lighting and shadows. No news for the PS4 and X1.
3) Upon release. PS4 and X1 gets leaked at showrooms. These versions will NOT look like the E3 reveal. Fans will cry to Bethesda saying they lied! Screen comparisons will show lack of fog, lesser shaders, and a grass texture removed for the final retail version.
4) Defenders will bring up Watch Dogs and Witcher 3 as past examples of games that looked better upon first showing than the final copy. PC enthusiasts will stay positive.
5) Game will release, and everyone will try it.
6) The cycle continues for the next open world game.

As sure as water is wet at this point.

GreyWind

Except that those icon files

xbox-one-icon-black.svg

xbox-360-icon-black.svg

ps4-icon-black.svg

ps3-icon-black.svg

are all 60x12 and placed in the assets folder. I've looked at their other cross-gen games (namely, The Evil Within) but they don't use similarly sized assets.

Could be for the footer? Just like in the AC site, if you scroll down you'll see the X360 logo.

Duffman

Why would they release this on the last gen consoles at this point? The port is most likely going to be Shadow of Mordor level crapshit anyway.

But why even have a conference? Just show up at MS conference with new fallout and Sony's conference with new Doom. The fact that they went out of their way to schedule a one hour conference means this is special to them. What is the point of fully blowing announcements just weeks b4 E3? Just seems pointless to me. Unless these guys are going full crazy and announcing new elder game as well as Fallout. Which will be insane lol.

Announcing ahead of the conference allows you to focus attention on your product. As a 5 minute segment in a platform-specific conference, you run the risk of being overshadowed by other games or announcements.

If a console maker has a "bad" conference, that drags down perception of your game. If a console maker has a "good" conference or makes a huge announcement (like a price drop), your game may be ignored in the subsequent news write ups.

There is also of course all the exclusivity confusion and gnashing of teeth and "what platform is that running on?" that comes from being at one press conference vs the other. Much cleaner and easier to do your own thing and control the message.

Branson

I think I'm more saddened by the fact that obsidian isn't on this. Cross gen is whatever because I'll play it on PC but Bethesda can't write a fallout game for shit. Hope they've improved after seeing what Obsidian did.

So many emotions.

1: I knew it! Some people doubted...I had faith.

2: OMG! It's really happening!!! It's almost here!

3: Crossgen? But...um...aw dammit.

a916

What's the point of a cross gen remaster?

Drop some knowledge on us, homie

I'm not going to drop anything new, it's just a lot of people are vastly over estimating the effects of cross-gen on development of a current gen title.

Jonm1010

Banned
No it isn't lol... the only logical reason one could be "held back" is if the developer of the current gen version has to spend development time to port it over.
In an open world game such as this it most certainly will hold back the vision, look, scope, complexity and design of the world.

You are talking about having to make sure a vast open world game from start to finish works on systems with 512mb of ram and a gpu from 2007.

That is a hell of a low baseline for an open world RPG in 2015.

Venture

I just want combat to not suck, I always end up stopping Bethesda games before beating them because I don't enjoy the combat :(
The combat system in the Fallout games is great, one of my favorites in RPGs. I'm Strictly speaking of V.A.T.S. though. Fighting outside of V.A.T.S. is nothing special but I don't know why you ever would, except in emergencies.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm anxious about it being cross-gen, it could really be a huge downer for me, but I'm just going to wait until tomorrow. Not gonna bother speculating.

daveo42

Banned
MGSV is made by one of the most technically competent teams in the industry. Bethesda's reputation is almost the polar opposite of that.

Fox Engine was also made to be pretty scalable and work well on a variety of system architectures. Gamebryo is...well...just look at Skyrim and the last two Fallouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom