• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: "Please Stand By" (aka obvious Fallout teaser) [maybe not crossgen]

Which platform will you play Fallout 4 on?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the most damning evidence for cross-gen are the tags being removed from the Google Tag Manager but still in the code

GreyWind

I think it might be crossgen

QkHuZRO.png

fDpflDv.png

Went through the CSS and it also mentions PS4, Xbox One and Steam which to me means that this is definitely not an old CSS; and yeah, it has 460 and PS3 in it as well.

You guys know how the site is fallout.bethsoft.com? I think the css might be there because that site is for the whole franchise, including the previous titles. Just like http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-us/games/assassins-creed-syndicate/

A lot of developers/publishers are doing this, like all in one sites. Could be the same case with Fallout.

witness

Cross gen? If true I hope it's made by a different team with that old ass engine, while the current gen version is on a shiny new engine that isn't shit. I would rather it be current gen only so that the engine and game design isn't being held back.

I´ll quote you one this one day...

Go ahead. I'm serious. If it's cross-gen it would simply be more of the same that occurred in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Simply prettied up, at 1080p and running smooth at 30fps basically a remaster of sorts

Oh wait... I've already played Fallout in those exact terms, on my PC. If it's cross-gen, I'm out.

Neff

Watch it be A fallout Remaster.

It probably will be, to generate interest and drop a none-too subtle hint before F4's announcement before the world at E3.

And I'd be fine with that, since I want to get back into these and the PS3 versions I have just don't cut it anymore.

DOWN

Banned
My heart goes out to those who say they don't care if it is cross-gen and I pray they recover from whatever caused their blindness. The game will be much worse for being cross-gen, and everyone should care about that.

Tevren

While the risk of cross gen holding back performance is a definite thing, I'm still glad it's time for FO4.

It may be plagued with long load times, and other issues on cross gen, but for some, it at least means they get to experience it.

One ticket for that hype train bound for Boston, please.

Senoculum

This is what's going to happen:

1) Fallout 4 reveal. Will look absolutely STUNNING, bigger than ever, AI as complex as it can be, and fantastic lighting. They promise parity between all consoles.
2) Closer to release. Trailers will keep making it look AMAZING. PS3 and Xbox 360 screens start to pop up, and it will look like ass. Geometry will be there, but it will run at 20fps with no dynamic lighting and shadows. No news for the PS4 and X1.
3) Upon release. PS4 and X1 gets leaked at showrooms. These versions will NOT look like the E3 reveal. Fans will cry to Bethesda saying they lied! Screen comparisons will show lack of fog, lesser shaders, and a grass texture removed for the final retail version.
4) Defenders will bring up Watch Dogs and Witcher 3 as past examples of games that looked better upon first showing than the final copy. PC enthusiasts will stay positive.
5) Game will release, and everyone will try it.
6) The cycle continues for the next open world game.

Jonm1010

Banned
The only salvage from this if it does turn out cross gen and we are essentially stuck with the same goddamn gamebryo engine again is if the game is being developed by Obsidian.

Otherwise, fuck.

Two Words

Those people that think it's no big deal if it is cross gen, answer this. Do you think Oblivion would be the game it
Was if it was cross gen?

SpaceHorror

Go ahead. I'm serious. If it's cross-gen it would simply be more of the same that occurred in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Simply prettied up, at 1080p and running smooth at 30fps basically a remaster of sorts

Oh wait... I've already played Fallout in those exact terms, on my PC. If it's cross-gen, I'm out.

You're calling a new game a remaster.

Why do a 24 hour countdown?! Just save it for E3! C'mon Bethesda. It'd hit so much harder if they saved it for THEIR PRESS CONFERENCE, as a complete surprise. Now they're going to put out a teaser a week or two early, and the moment on stage will have a lot less impact. We all knew it was coming, but jeez. Just give your audience the cool reveal on stage. It's your first press conference, so it's not like it's an announcement that would be overshadowed by being presented at another companies conference.

This happens every year, and I'll never understand it. Go ahead and tell your kids what their birthday present is right before they unwrap it. *eyeroll*

What's the difference for you as a consumer between being excited now and being excited at a press conference?

GlamFM

Banned
My heart goes out to those who say they don't care if it is cross-gen and I pray they recover from whatever caused their blindness. The game will be much worse for being cross-gen, and everyone should care about that.

This all you got? I think even more hyperbole would make this thread even more fun.

DOWN

Banned
Cross gen? If true I hope it's made by a different team with that old ass engine, while the current gen version is on a shiny new engine that isn't shit. I would rather it be current gen only so that the engine and game design isn't being held back.

It would still be held back. Core team on newer engine isn't allowed to make a world scale or core features that can't be ported back to the last gen. Cross gen always hurts.

When do we think we'll see this? Historically Bethesda usually announces a year to year and a half in advance. I imagine we'll at least see a "coming 2016" tag, but realistically I'd put my money on fall 2016.

As for cross gen - I highly, highly doubt it. Especially with a presumed launch still possibly a year away.

zlatko

Banned
Crossgen sucks, BUT it could be a Mortal Kombat X scenario where A team handles current, and outsource B team does the last gen variant.

Also, if it's like MKX that last gen port will never see the light of day.

No worries.

MegaMelon

I'm sure if it's cross gen the games gonna suffer big time. But it could be a steaming pile of crap and I'd probably still enjoy it a lot so I'm not too fussed.

Ikon

I wish I could get hyped for Fallout like I once would have. I know a top down view is hoping for too much but at least bring back companions.

Why does it matter if it's cross-gen? I don't get it. I mean yeah I hope it doesn't look identical to FO3/NV but even if it does, whatever.

It could be PS2 exclusive and I'd still buy the $250 dumb kid edition day one

Because it affects gameplay and not just graphics?

This isn't just about the visuals. The game itself will be compromised in one way or another to make it run on that old ass hardware. We've had dev teams like the Far Cry 4 team confirm this

Jonm1010

Banned
This is what's going to happen:

1) Fallout 4 reveal. Will look absolutely STUNNING, bigger than ever, AI as complex as it can be, and fantastic lighting. They promise parity between all consoles.
2) Closer to release. Trailers will keep making it look AMAZING. PS3 and Xbox 360 screens start to pop up, and it will look like ass. Geometry will be there, but it will run at 20fps with no dynamic lighting and shadows. No news for the PS4 and X1.
3) Upon release. PS4 and X1 gets leaked at showrooms. These versions will NOT look like the E3 reveal. Fans will cry to Bethesda saying they lied! Screen comparisons will show lack of fog, lesser shaders, and a grass texture removed for the final retail version.
4) Defenders will bring up Watch Dogs and Witcher 3 as past examples of games that looked better upon first showing than the final copy. PC enthusiasts will stay positive.
5) Game will release, and everyone will try it.
6) The cycle continues for the next open world game.

This seems to be the norm for all games these days. Which is fucking sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom