• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls - Review Thread

Basch

Not really. What made heavy rain great was the choices you had to change the story. It didnt have the best dialogue pieces although a strong overall narative.That wasnt what took it to a higher level. It was the idea of being able to take the story in a number of ways.

I completely disagree. What made Heavy Rain great wasn't the choices. It was how the story was told (direction) as well as the emotions the plot evoked. The script wasn't all that great but it captured the mood nearly perfectly and took us to such emotional highs. The dramatic focus helps establish some of these feelings.

hal9001

Banned
3u4q61.gif

"THIS IS BULLSHIT! THIS IS NOT A GAME!!!!!"

6/10

You cant do anything in that scenery aside from what the devs have programmed. I dont want to say its not a game but its really limited in what you can do.

But you could say the same thing for most games out today. Take for example most linear games such as Uncharted (3 has similar horse chase) and Tomb Raider. Do they really give you that much freedom to roam around in the environments that hasn't been designated by the programmer as in that scene show?

kazebyaka

Banned
Ah, the impression I got from reviews (even ones that didn't like it) - was that it overall had a better story than Heavy Rain. BUT I'l admit I didn't scan all of them, so I shouldn't have made that assumption.

So, the story is worse than Heavy Rain?
It is disjointed, awfully paced, has no conflict or anything until the latter part of the game. Most of things you see and play have no meaning to the story and can be easily regarded as fillers. It's a paranormal slice-of-life anime with some action in the mix.

Timeaisis

the whole "not a game lolz" thing is stupid and distracts the conversation from the actual massive failures of david cage as a designer and writer

You're absolutely right. "Game" open to interpretation, anyway. The real issue here is that storytelling through the medium is continually taking steps forward and steps back. The problem with games like Heavy Rain and Beyond comes from the fact that they are trying to be an interactive movie. In a general concept, there is nothing really wrong with that. It's a new medium. It may be a "Video game", it may not, whatever.

The problem comes from the standards we apply to that new "medium". I'm sure as hell going to hold a game like that up to a higher standard in narrative and character development than I would, say, Grand Theft Auto, where most of the fun and excitement is coming from the gameplay and not the story. And that's the real issue. I've seen enough movies and read enough books that I know Heavy Rain has a contrived, boring, and unemotional story, only saved by it's novel factor and the fabricated illusion that you are in control of a character.

If gaming wants to evolve as a medium that can tell great stories, one must either

a) seamlessly intertwine the narrative in with the gameplay, by weaving a simple yet provocative story that mirrors the gameplay elements (The Last of Us is a pretty good example, although I'm not a huge fan of it's gameplay, to be honest)
b) make some sort of role-playing game with a fully-fleshed out world. I think this one's pretty obvious.
or
c) commit to a fully-fledged story-driven interactive experience (a la The Walking Dead). For this one, your studio better have some damn fine writers, artists, and designers to make a game that has interesting characters, an intriguing story, an excellent pacing. That last one is damn near essential to an interactive videogame, methinks, and an issue I feel like Heavy Rain really missed the boat on (especially in the last half of the game).

My point is, Quantic Dream is obviously going for option c. The problem is that they don't have the talent to make that a reality, and everyone's going to hold their game up to the standard's of a film.

KikiEars

Neo Member
We already have suda for that.

Yeah man, his games are so shit and his career is so over that he's making another game on the PS4 and advanced his gameplay from No More Heroes, strange stuff.

You missed my point then.I said that David Cages games are based upon the same principles as games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider i didn't say the play exactly the same.

You like games that focus on story,drama and hollywood spectacle?then David Cage gives you more of it.
You like games that have QTEs?Then David Cage gives you more of them.
You like automatic,streamlined gameplay?Then David cage gives you more of it.

I remember in Uncharted 3 i was trying to explore some ruined city in the desert when all of a sudden i have no real control of my character (forced walking) and while i was walking towards a certain direction a small cutscene appears that makes my character go to an area that i didn't want him to go.David Cage takes overly scripted and overly cinematic moments like these and takes them one step further by making them even more feel like movies.

"You like games that focus on story,drama and hollywood spectacle?then David Cage gives you more of it." While severely making it less of a game.

"You like games that have QTEs?Then David Cage gives you more of them." While severely making it less of a game.

"You like automatic,streamlined gameplay?Then David cage gives you more of it." While severely making it less of a game.

"David Cage takes overly scripted and overly cinematic moments like these and takes them one step further by making them even more feel like movies" He takes many steps" forward" by removing almost the entirety of the gameplay in those.

Nibiru

Banned
Very mixed reviews. David Cage's games' reviews must have a higher standard deviation than any other game maker!

Similar to a movie this game might fall victim to the mood of the reviewer at the time. These games are short and I imagine for many reviewers, is played in one session. Whereas a game like GTA V and pretty much every game for that matter they would play over many days and so the experience would encompass several moods of the reviewer.

Dio

Banned
We already have suda for that.

The more snooty auteurs we have around, the more people realize that snooty auteurs are like zits during this industry's adolescence. They'll appear whether you like them or not, and most of them will fail and be ostracized.

Mondy

Banned
Can we finally be settled on the fact that David Cage can't make actual GAMES? He is nothing more then a silicone valley wannabe who sees bigger money in the gaming industry then in movies and is riding that train all the way to the station and gamers are actually buying into it.

We universally roast games like Ryse on a spit for being QTE fests with no substance yet this game is just "divisive".

Zafir

I'm not sure what half of the reviewers were expecting from a David Cage game... It's not really a surprise it's more like an interactive movie after his previous games, nor is that a bad thing really...
You're absolutely right. "Game" open to interpretation, anyway. The real issue here is that storytelling through the medium is continually taking steps forward and steps back. The problem with games like Heavy Rain and Beyond comes from the fact that they are trying to be an interactive movie. In a general concept, there is nothing really wrong with that. It's a new medium. It may be a "Video game", it may not, whatever.

The problem comes from the standards we apply to that new "medium". I'm sure as hell going to hold a game like that up to a higher standard in narrative and character development than I would, say, Grand Theft Auto, where most of the fun and excitement is coming from the gameplay and not the story. And that's the real issue. I've seen enough movies and read enough books that I know Heavy Rain has a contrived, boring, and unemotional story, only saved by it's novel factor and the fabricated illusion that you are in control of a character.

If gaming wants to evolve as a medium that can tell great stories, one must either

a) seamlessly intertwine the narrative in with the gameplay, by weaving a simple yet provocative story that mirrors the gameplay elements (The Last of Us is a pretty good example, although I'm not a huge fan of it's gameplay, to be honest)
b) make some sort of role-playing game with a fully-fleshed out world. I think this one's pretty obvious.
or
c) commit to a fully-fledged story-driven interactive experience (a la The Walking Dead). For this one, your studio better have some damn fine writers, artists, and designers to make a game that has interesting characters, an intriguing story, an excellent pacing. That last one is damn near essential to an interactive videogame, methinks, and an issue I feel like Heavy Rain really missed the boat on (especially in the last half of the game).

My point is, Quantic Dream is obviously going for option c. The problem is that they don't have the talent to make that a reality, and everyone's going to hold their game up to the standard's of a film.
That is rather subjective though. I mean, Heavy Rains story had it's flaws, but I don't think it was bad, unemotional, or boring.

Not to mention, you seem to be holding Heavy Rain to far higher standards than even the movie industry. Most movies don't have amazing stories, and yet, they still get funding, and aren't down right panned.

Mixed reviews or no, I'd rather play this than your average AAA 10/10 blockbuster.

I won't be playing either of those things, though.

Vizzeh

Banned
Heavy Rain became more divisive as time went on. People decided what side of the cage fence they were on and these reviews were all probably formed before Beyond was even in their PS3's, both the good and bad ones.

For example, I'm going to love the shit out of this. Cage has owned my soul since Omikron. Whether the game is good or bad is actually irrelevant to me, I just like Cage taking me by the hand and leading me somewhere unexpected.

I really enjoyed Heavy rain, watched the IGN video review, and the Gamespot video review, the Gamespot 1 is 10x better with alot more context to what is going on and evidence to what he is saying, the IGN review is the worst I have seen in a long time from IGN, Lucy is good in the podcasts but damn that video review was very very poor and not because of her opinion, but based on its content, monotone and lack of conveying her distaste.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well I'm not surprised about most of the scores, HR wasn't good at all, even as interactive show it wasn't good and the story (which is the only thing left) was just bad, this is Cage again and he seems to not want to change his style of making "games" so this was very expected.

I think Sony need to drop QD after this immediately, it's really sad to see them throwing millions and millions on Cage for him to pretend to be a movie director instead of giving the money to their own studios it's just bad thing to do and kinda unfair.

Dremark

Banned
Review scores are all over the place.

Not really surprising considering how much people's opinions varied on the previous games.

shandy706

But you could say the same thing for most games out today. Take for example most linear games such as The Last of us and Tomb Raider. Do they really give you that much freedom to roam around as in that scene show?

Ummmm...you can go 50 different directions in Tomb Raider at times.

Ok, maybe not 50...but after the initial setup...you can go all over the place...and approach situations in many different ways. Yes, it has very linear moments...but it also has very open areas you can approach from multiple angles. You can also backtrack everywhere.

(You're also somewhat free at times in TLoU too)

v0mitg0d

Hola!

Ok so here is my 10 second (Tweet) review. Before you ask, yes I really enjoyed Heavy Rain.

Beyond Two Souls: A insecure game looking for itself around every corner. It runs, stumbles, smiles, and then leaves w/o saying goodbye.

It has its moments where it's really great, but those moments are too few and far between the sort of boring ones. The game isn't bad, its just 'pretty good' and not wonderful or awesome. Remember, this is just my humble opinion--you might love this game. :)

If there's one game that makes Metacritic's metascore useless, it's this one. For most games, an "average" in the low-mid 70s would mean that the game is mediocre, since about 80-85% of the scores are in that ballpark and the remaining 15-20% are outliers.

But for Beyond, there is no consensus at all, scores seem to pretty evenly cover the spectrum between 4/10 and 10/10. For those on the fence, this game is probably a perfect candidate for Redbox (or wait to buy it at a deep discount)...you just want to try it for yourself without dropping $60 on it.

Edit: I'm getting the impression that Cage is trying too hard; we'll see once I play it.

RE_Player

Can we finally be settled on the fact that David Cage can't make actual GAMES?
Your definition of a game is what's going to hold the medium back. Do I think David Cage's work is immune from criticism? Absolutely not. But only thinking a game can be game if it does x, y and a bit of z is detrimental to the whole medium.

DR2K

Banned
Well I'm not surprised about most of the scores, HR wasn't good at all, even as interactive show it wasn't good and the story (which is the only thing left) was just bad, this is Cage again and he seems to not want to change his style of making "games" so this was very expected.

I think Sony need to drop QD after this immediately, it's really sad to see them throwing millions and millions on Cage for him to pretend to be a movie director instead of giving the money to their own studios it's just bad thing to do and kinda unfair.

His games are successes, Sony is kind of short on that for their first parties.

Mondy

Banned
Your definition of a game is what's holding the medium back. Do I think David Cage's work is immune from criticism? Absolutely not. But only thinking a game can be game if it does x, y and a bit of z is detrimental to the whole medium.

Can we at least settle on the definition of a "game" being where the actions of the player actually have some tangible influence over anything? Instead of a one button prompt to queue a scripted event, where each choice doesn't really deviate that much from the overall plot. That's no better then turning the page of a book just to find out how the story continues.

From Wikipedia:
Beyond: Two Souls received mixed to positive reviews from critics. It has an aggregate score of 90.00% on GameRankings[16] and 72/100 on Metacritic and a 9 out of 10 by the gaming website GameSpot. ComputerMKII calls it the "second coming of Christ," while saying that Half-Life 2 is the worst game ever made. David Cage himself gave the game a 100/100, stating that his writing is only rivaled by the greatest of screenwriters, specifically pointing to Uwe Boll and M. Night Shyamalan as his biggest influences. Movie director Hideo Kojima also hailed Cage as a "visionary robbed of his future" thanks to people like Jim Sterling in the gaming industry.

lol What?

Damn, that's what I call mixed reviews. Did they ever address those control issues?
Controls are fine. Really not a problem.

So story above everything else, including gameplay? Nothing wrong with that IMO. Not worth the $60 either though. I might buy this during the dry summer months next year.
Actually it is Jodie above everything else. Her character is the central focus, the story serves her.

kurbaan

Banned
that jim sterling destructoid review is such a pile of bullcrap.

EmptySpace can tell that sterling just played the game once, and then tried different choices in individual chapters and concluded, "hey, it's just a cosmetic change" without ever replaying the whole game with different choices to see how different choices piled up.

sterling most likely got a shite conclusion to the story because of how shite he tried to play the game trying to find flaws.

Sterling is a tool. His emotion and polygon video should have told you yo never take him seriously with this game.

Roto13

I don't really find most of the negative points in the reviews all that surprising, but Jim Sterling's complaint about the graphics is... hard to swallow. Even if you don't like the general style of the game, that thing is definitely technically impressive.

Zafir

Can we at least settle on the definition of a "game" being where the actions of the player actually have some tangible influence over anything? Instead of a one button prompt to queue a scripted event. That's no better then turning the page of a book just to find out how the story continues.
Well, to be devils advocate, most games don't have tangible influence over what happens. You either don't do the actions and the game just stays at that same point/you fail, or you do the actions and proceed. Very few actually give you 'choice' in what happens.

Gestault

But you could say the same thing for most games out today. Take for example most linear games such as Uncharted (3 has similar horse chase) and Tomb Raider. Do they really give you that much freedom to roam around in the environments that hasn't been designated by the programmer as in that scene show?

I think they're trying to say the impression of a wide-open space is completely undercut as soon as the player tries to use that space. The execution for that particular stretch seems sort of ham-fisted. The amount of interactivity (in the sense of any player control at all) looks superficial. There is a point at which I think it's fair to call out a videogame not being an interactive experience.

whoszed

Wow, well I'm downloading the demo and I'll see what I think of that. I remember not liking Heavy Rain's demo all that much but eventually I thought the game was entertaining.

I always knew this could be a polarizing experience. Still, I expected scores similar to Heavy Rain.

DukeBobby

I don't really find most of the negative points in the reviews all that surprising, but Jim Sterling's complaint about the graphics is... hard to swallow. Even if you don't like the general style of the game, that thing is definitely technically impressive.

Yeah, I found that odd too. Having not played the game yet, I can't say much about the rest of his review, but I definitely think he's wrong about the graphics, at least from what I've seen.

RE_Player

Can we at least settle on the definition of a "game" being where the actions of the player actually have some tangible influence over anything? Instead of a one button prompt to queue a scripted event, where each choice doesn't really deviate that much from the overall plot. That's no better then turning the page of a book just to find out how the story continues.

Absolutely not. By giving a definition to "game" in respect to video games we will be limiting ourselves to new and interesting experiences. Film has already been forced to establish certain norms, like length of time, narrative flow etc., and I certainly don't want games to go down that road. In the end if you really don't like the direction of a certain game you could simply not buy it or play it instead of trying demonize people who do.

Reviews are expected, polarizing, but overall good.

I haven't read through all of them -- are there any reviewers that liked Heavy Rain but were disappointed in Beyond?

"Environments are bland, and overall the visual quality fails to stand out in this day and age."

obs2013-10-0814-58-14wap5g.png

Sure Sterling. What a hideous looking game. Also he is hypocritical considering he wrote this at the beginning:

"It demonstrates, beyond doubt, that Hollywood actors, cutting edge-visual technology"

Seems like he just wanted to reduce the score a little bit more, so he had to find something.

Mondy

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbJPWNme9Ws

Adam Sessler suggests that Beyond is actually more of a game in his eyes than Madden. Oh dear.

post-83083-0-92350600-1374459317.gif

Absolutely not. By giving a definition to "game" in respect to video games we will be limiting ourselves to new and interesting experiences. Film has already been forced to establish certain norms, like length of time, narrative flow etc., and I certainly don't want games to go down that road. In the end if you really don't like the direction of a certain game you could simply not buy it or play it instead of trying demonize people who do.

When did I demonize anyone? I'm simply saying if you want to refer to it as a "game", you're certainly welcome to do that, but to make such a claim is certainly debatable at the very least. We're perfectly content with putting visual novels into a separate category but not something like Beyond?

sublimit

Banned
Yeah man, his games are so shit and his career is so over that he's making another game on the PS4 and advanced his gameplay from No More Heroes, strange stuff.

"You like games that focus on story,drama and hollywood spectacle?then David Cage gives you more of it." While severely making it less of a game.

"You like games that have QTEs?Then David Cage gives you more of them." While severely making it less of a game.

"You like automatic,streamlined gameplay?Then David cage gives you more of it." While severely making it less of a game.

Shit is still shit regardless of quantity.

"David Cage takes overly scripted and overly cinematic moments like these and takes them one step further by making them even more feel like movies" He takes many steps" forward" by removing almost the entirety of the gameplay in those.

Yes he removed the pew pew from these games while he also gave you more cinematics and QTEs."OMG David Cage doesn not make games!!!!"

I didn't do any of the edits. I never really got in on the wiki craze. However, they're mostly harmless since it seems the edits are almost immediately undone or changed to something else. I think even calling it a footprint is a reach since there is no leftover evidence of the change. I agree that the youtube comments are sometimes tacky.

Oh, I wasn't criticizing you, I was just commenting in general. I know those things get fixed in short order, one of the best things about wikipedia.

Nibel

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp 12s
...so I visited David at QD's office in Paris, shared my honest feedback with Beyond, reassured how much I'm excited with his next project.

Oh well
KuGsj.gif

daviyoung

Banned
"Environments are bland, and overall the visual quality fails to stand out in this day and age."

obs2013-10-0814-58-14wap5g.png

Sure Sterling. What a bland game. Also he is hypocritical considering he wrote this at the beginning:

"It demonstrates, beyond doubt, that Hollywood actors, cutting edge-visual technology"

That screenshot does not do you any favours. And there's also a different between the the visual technology (he means the faces) and the visual quality (he means the textures).

karasu

Your definition of a game is what's holding the medium back. Do I think David Cage's work is immune from criticism? Absolutely not. But only thinking a game can be game if it does x, y and a bit of z is detrimental to the whole medium.

Since when was the medium being held back?

Top Bottom