• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls - Review Thread

Beyond's facial expression seem really odd compare to TLOU. Uncanny valley is very present in this game.

So sterling has a point.

RE_Player

Since when was the medium being held back?
I should have probably said "is going to hold the medium back". I just hate when people give such a narrow definition of what a video game should be. It's a medium that can encompass all the positives of books, music, film and more and yet people scoff at certain games if they don't fall into an established genre or play style.

Jim Sterling is like a big teddy bear around these parts. When people here agree with him, they want to hug him, when they don't, he becomes a punching bag.

Mondy

Banned
Beyond's facial expression seem really odd compare to TLOU. Uncanny valley is very present in this game.

I wouldn't go that far. Beyond's facial capture is probably the most impressive thing about the game. Certainly better than LOU which overall is far superior.

jrcbandit

From what I've played, the story in Beyond 2 Souls is pretty good for a video game, but due to the fact that the game plays more like an interactive movie the reviewers are holding it more to the standard of a movie.

I think the one thing the game really needed was some game over sequences for failing QTEs (but not overly harsh like RE6) and more immediate obvious differences/consequences from the choices you make. I replayed some sequences because I wanted to do better, but in the end there was probably little difference in failing most of the QTEs in an action sequence. Is the only thing that ever really changes is character deaths? That seems to mostly center around healing them.

Odrion

Banned
It's 2013 and we're still having the "Is it a game?" Argument. Seriously? After stuff like Asura's Wrath and The Walking Dead? Or fuck, with the booming Indie Game industry that's around? This idea of games not being games has been ridiculed sense Nintendogs became huge on the DS, stop this line of thinking.

Anyways, these extremely polarizing reviews are pretty exciting!

Thanks for the recommendation! Yeah I really love third-person blended stealth and shooting/action. Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is one of my favourite games this gen so I reckon I would love it. I've never played a Splinter Cell game before so I have no expectations or baggage and it's only £25 on Amazon...

Sent ya a PM.

RE_Player

It's 2013 and we're still having the "Is it a game?" Argument. Seriously? After stuff like Asura's Wrath and The Walking Dead? Or fuck, with the booming Indie Game industry that's around? This idea of games not being games has been ridiculed sense Nintendogs became huge on the DS, stop this line of thinking.

Anyways, these extremely polarizing reviews are pretty exciting!

My thoughts exactly.

But you could say the same thing for most games out today. Take for example most linear games such as Uncharted (3 has similar horse chase) and Tomb Raider. Do they really give you that much freedom to roam around in the environments that hasn't been designated by the programmer as in that scene show?

3u4q61.gif

Well the real question is are you even controlling the horse in that section in that gif.

If all your controlling is the camera, then that alone sets it apart from Uncharted or Tomb Raider. In those games you may not be able to explore the scenery, but you certainly can control the action of your character in whatever set piece the developer wants you to be in.

But if you are controlling the horse then I dont see a problem. That's already a step up for a David Cage game

From what I've played, the story in Beyond 2 Souls is pretty good for a video game,

Nothing against you, but I've never been fond of this statement. I don't see why video games should get extra credit for consistently putting together less than mediocre stories. Sure, there are exceptions, but for the rest, why should they catch a break for poor writing?

Sats

Banned

My haul.

All three of these came out today.

If doing nothing but moving to coreographed moves, and mindless, number crunching makes up games, than BEYOND totally qualifies :3

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
His games are successes, Sony is kind of short on that for their first parties.

it's their fault, they don't manage most of their first party studio and ips well, hell even ND and SSM can't make new IPs that easily yet they throw millions and gave complete freedom to this guy.

Wow can't believe we're getting complaints about Graphics, Best graphics of the Gen IMO.

Not even close -going with the demo- also only thing going with the game are the faces, the characters bodies and animations look bad, the environments/level design is flat and lack details.

So sterling has a point.

That's why ND animate the faces by hand. The face mo-cap used in Beyond is pretty damn good though.

Reviews all over the place as expected.

Basch

Seems some reviewers are using this game as a scapegoat to not so subtly exert their influence on what a game should be. How depressing and downright juvenile. Without giving any names away, I agree that the medium is being held back because of pretentious pricks like some of the aforementioned reviewers.

It's obvious they have a bone to pick. Its just sad to see that they decided to take it out on this game rather than in an editorial as it should be. This only discourages artists from really opening up and will limit what we get out of games in the future.

3u4q61.gif

Well the real question is are you even controlling the horse in that section in that gif.

If all your controlling is the camera, then that alone sets it apart from Uncharted or Tomb Raider. In those games you may not be able to explore the scenery, but you certainly can control the action of your character in whatever set piece the developer wants you to be in.

But if you are controlling the horse then I dont see a problem. That's already a step up for a David Cage game
You are. The section is bigger than the most open environment in TLoU.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Personally, I love this type of game.

My wife and I can play it during the evenings and experience a great story which we get to feel involved in.

My wife isn't a typical gamer and we usually relax to a movie or show at night, so this fits right in and mixes things up a bit. I really hope they keep making titles like this.

ViciousDS

Banned
3u4q61.gif

Nope you are in full control of the horse and camera.

Cat Party

Calling these reviews "mixed" is being generous. I haven't even heard of most of the sites giving it decent reviews. The sites I generally trust for reviews and commentary are all negative on this game.

Ummmm...you can go 50 different directions in Tomb Raider at times.

Ok, maybe not 50...but after the initial setup...you can go all over the place...and approach situations in many different ways. Yes, it has very linear moments...but it also has very open areas you can approach from multiple angles. You can also backtrack everywhere.

(You're also somewhat free at times in TLoU too)

Agree about Tomb Raider. It was surprisingly open. When you're left to explore I found myself backtracking and exploring all the areas for items. Since many of the areas were so large you could choose to engage enemies in many different ways.

CrazyDude

Calling these reviews "mixed" is being generous. I haven't even heard of most of the sites giving it decent reviews. The sites I generally trust for reviews and commentary are all negative on this game.

It has a 74 on metacritic, that is a mixed score.

Nothing against you, but I've never been fond of this statement. I don't see why video games should get extra credit for consistently putting together less than mediocre stories. Sure, there are exceptions, but for the rest, why should they catch a break for poor writing?
Because you are playing it, which makes it more awesome.

Not even close -going with the demo- also only thing going with the game are the faces, the characters bodies and animations look bad, the environments/level design is flat and lack details.
The first scene of the demo is actually the worst looking environment so far (8 hours in).

yami4ct

3u4q61.gif

I think, if I'm interpreting it right, it's seems to be showing that you have a very narrow path of control. It kind of looks like the game is redirecting the player when they hit invisible walls rather than the player swooping everything around. Would fit with the complaints that the game forces you down very specific paths.

3u4q61.gif

It's more like in that section can you manipulate anything? What makes David Cage's games his games is that section even when controlling a character has only few predictable outcomes. In let's say Uncharted or Tomb Raider you can shoot a barrel across a level, or just jump and kill your character at any moment. In beyond or Heavy Rain there is a define few paths, and that's what I think reviewers are trying to say but can't define.

But yeah, what's the point in the movement if everyone has the two or three same outcome predesign.

Set pieces are one thing, but complete rejection of the existence of the player is another.

Nothing is inherently wrong with this, but it is fair criticism.

Jim

Yeah, you are controlling the horse, though the player is also shifting the camera around in that gif. This scene is basically the worst looking part of the entire game to be honest.

And as for exploring the scenery
there's no reason to since the game's camera nearly always points you where you need to go next. There's nothing to explore for anyway

DieH@rd

Banned
I like Jim Sterling, but his views on this game are totally different than mine.

I fully enjoyed the game, it was one of the best adventure games created in this generation of games, and I cant wait to see what QD will make on PS4.

People need to play Beyond, its quite the game.

It all boils down to how well Beyond sells now. If it can do the same numbers as Heavy Rain, then that'll secure the partnership, and QD becomes a first-party studio as a result.
Should do alright. PS4 game will be made regardless, so they have another chance anyway.

jordisok

Seems some reviewers are using this game as a scapegoat to not so subtly exert their influence on what a game should be. How depressing and downright juvenile. Without giving any names away, I agree that the medium is being held back because of pretentious pricks like some of the aforementioned reviewers.

It's obvious they have a bone to pick. Its just sad to see that they decided to take it out on this game rather than in an editorial as it should be. This only discourages artists from really opening up and will limit what we get out of games in the future.

Bit much to suggest a poor score is some sort of premeditated attack on the genre or the type of game?? (though reviews are obviously subjective)

Could it not be that the game just isn't THAT good, Heavy Rain was actually quite well received after all.

aeolist

Banned

maybe they just think it's bad

It's extremely difficult to tell a story you have in mind while having somebody else control your character actions. Plus, most games have to reach for a lowest common denominator.

With that said, I agree. Sometimes I read some cringeworthy text and I think "why didn't they try and make this better?". I'm surprised more games don't try and get really great writers on board but I assume that is a cross-over we'll see when it starts happening a lot more, because it will.

I'd imagine cost is also a huge factor. The story/text is probably the last thing the budget allows for. I really do wish more games had stronger writing, but I understand the hurdles in place. Books, movie scripts, even music have a much more direct path to tell a story. You still have to make the game fun and allow for a sense of player involvement.

I thought Heavy Rain could have been done really well. But QTE ruins an experience for me. It takes me out of the intense "this guy has a knife to my throat" moment and just makes me laugh at the flashing X on the screen. Plus, when a game is based so heavily on the story, make it a good one. I really didn't enjoy the pacing nor the characters all that much.

ViciousDS

Banned
I like Jim Sterling, but his views on this game are totally different than mine.

I fully enjoyed the game, it was one of the best adventure games created in this generation of games, and I cant wait to see what QD will make on PS4.

People need to play Beyond, its quite the game.

Yes, I just hope it sells well enough so they can justify there time and effort into, same opinion here by far one of the best experiences this generation offered.

Pyronite

Seems like Cage's awful writing is going to ruin yet another game. I'll wait for more reviews but I'm feeling better and better about holding off on this.

This is officially the first time I've ever agreed with Derrick.

David Cage should not be writing games. I enjoyed Fahrenheit (despite the poor writing) but despised Heavy Rain, and it sounds like this one is even worse (is such a thing even possible?).

I'm cool with him making games for people who enjoy them (even if I question your taste in storytelling), but I'm not cool with him being heralded as anything more than a poor writer.

Top Bottom