• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea |OT| Episode One

SkylineRKR

Dutch site Insidegamer gave it a 7- out of 10. Which is disappointing as Infinite was one of their highest reviewed games of this gen. Only 90 minutes of gameplay according to them also, and they said they even took their time with it. Yet they praised the atmosphere, story and ending of this DLC.

I do agree that the weapon restrictions sucked. I hated only having 2 guns available to me at any time - I always just stuck with two or three favorites and focused on upgrading them. Was a shame because I think having more options for guns could have added some variety. I thought the vigors were fine personally - nothing amazing, but still fun to use. I had a good time with BI's combat overall - especially the skyrails/skyhook aspect to it (could have used more of that, too).

Yeah the game shined in those sections, it's just a shame it ended up being too many shooting galleries in between that felt like filler to keep the action going rather than the better thought out encounters in the original.

The environments didnt inspire variety.

-BLITZ-

Thank you for posting such detailed FAQ and for the lastest three videos that I didn't know they were made. I read it all and that help me understand more about BAS history. This clears up most of the questions that I had in mind when I saw for the first time their promo.

I'm super excited about this because I always wanted to see how Rapture looked before the events. It's a man dream come true and wonders awaits. Special Thanks to Kevin & his team who made this happend.

Do you buy every game and DLC on the market to judge it on your own terms?
I know as far as myself that I don't need a review to tell me what I'll like. I've been playing video games for over 20 years. At this point I can watch gameplay footage and decide for myself if I'll enjoy something.

Got the season pass for something like £5 on GMG somehow, so I am happy. I loved Infinite and look forward to 2 or 20 hours more of it.

Serra

Im not sure why the developers make these combat heavy DLCs when pretty much every review out there praised the story and setting and crapped on the combat. (rightly so)

Lunzio

Since I already bought the season pass (still maybe not the best decision), I look forward to Rapture tomorrow.

CloudWolf

Dutch site Insidegamer gave it a 7- out of 10. Which is disappointing as Infinite was one of their highest reviewed games of this gen. Only 90 minutes of gameplay according to them also, and they said they even took their time with it. Yet they praised the atmosphere, story and ending of this DLC.
Yeah, I know Jelle and he's usually pretty generous with grades. So I was very surprised that he gave Burial at Sea a 7- (6.8).

neoism

dmr87

I was dumb enough to buy the season pass so I'll just play it, I've stayed spoiler-free and I'm not gonna read any reviews before I play.

neoism

The game was 5-6 gigs if I remember correctly on my PS3 (I bought digitally). So your saying the DLC is 20+ gigs? Can you provide a source?

iywky7fZ5im5Q.png

dem PC textures... that plus 5+gbs this dlc is close to 29+gbs...

lol :( yeah fuck downloading 30gbs for 2 hours and no combat.... SMH... I swear they better have the next one out before march of next year....
IR games really fucking up with this season pass..

I thought it was said to be combat heavy. But yeah this DLC stuff hasn't been too pleasant. With the way they have been I wouldn't expect part 2 any time soon

ArjanN

Minerva's Den only took about 3.5 hours to beat for me and that was amazing, so I'm still looking forward to this.

Length never mattered much to me anyway as long as it's well paced.

Pretty much this.

I'm also pretty tired of the "Only x hours? Pre-order cancelled!" response every. single. time.
IMO it's all about a game being worth your time.

Roto13

Pretty much this.

I'm also pretty tired of the "Only x hours? Pre-order cancelled!" response every. single. time.
IMO it's all about a game being worth your time.

It doesn't really sound like they're one or two particularly good hours, though.

Dat Ending OMG, are we going to do a spoiler thread?

I'm not sure, I think we'll wait till enough people have played it and there's a healthy discussion.

If it's as widely interpretive as the Infinite ending, then sure a seperate spoiler might be needed.

But, remember for now, anything spoilerish related to BAS should be spoiler tagged in this thread.

AkuMifune

Banned
Didn't Ken Levine say that there would be no combat at all in the first half of Episode 1?

I thought so too, but apparently he said only the first half of the first part of the DLC

One of the things I’m most excited for in the first DLC is that the first half of it has no combat. It’s just playing in that world, you know, the Rapture you’d never really seen before, and watching Booker and Elizabeth use their wits to solve a problem and just soak in the atmosphere.

Still doesn't seem like we get what he envisioned. I also thought this was an apology to fans who thought Infinite was too combat focused, but instead, more shitty combat. It's just sad, really.

wait so let me get this right

a fanservice dlc set in rapture for no thematic reason except for nostalgia sales is more than a little disappointing

color me shocked

I'm not sure, I think we'll wait till enough people have played it and there's a healthy discussion.

If it's as widely interpretive as the Infinite ending, then sure a seperate spoiler might be needed.

But, remember for now, anything spoilerish related to BAS should be spoiler tagged in this thread.

Sorry, but "widely interpretive"? Infinite's ending is, from a storytelling standpoint, incredibly, incredibly simple, unless you're discussing intricacies and logic of multiverse theories, but what does that have to do with the actual character arcs and plot?

MormaPope

Banned
This might be a really dumb question...but why does your version of Steam look so different than what I'm used to seeing? It looks more slick.

Steam skin probably. You can download different Steam themes and change the theme by dropping a file in a folder and going to the options through Steam.

BraXzy

I'm gonna get hated on for this but.. I never got around to playing the first Bioshock. Should I play it before this? :L

Does anyone know what time the DLC will be available on Steam? Is it a midnight type of thing or early in the morning tomorrow? I'd like to get it started downloading as soon as I can. D;

Does anyone know what time the DLC will be available on Steam? Is it a midnight type of thing or early in the morning tomorrow? I'd like to get it started downloading as soon as I can. D;

Indeed, nothing on steam about it at all. I am guessing maybe something like 6PM England time. Im not too bothered I can't play it until my brother is around anyway or he'll hurt me...

Maybe it's the BioShock Infinite fanboy in me, but I don't care about the length. Quality is what really matters here. I bought the Season Pass and I'm not disappointed one bit like everyone else has been.

With that said, I can't wait for Burial at Sea Episode 1! It's the first thing I'll play as soon as I get home from work tomorrow.

pa22word

Clash was released when the store did its daily update iirc (noon CST), so I'd expect similar stuff here.

Also does anyone kinda find it funny that after all these years and fans bitching about BioShock 2 being unworthy of the series because Levine didn't work on it and now Bio2 is looking to outperform a Levine and "Irrational Games" developed prequel critically?

EDIT: An Irrational games dev just dropped this off on the steam forums:

So it looks like the release date for the steam version is officially set for 10 AM PST tomorrow (the 12th).

koene

Also does anyone kinda find it funny that after all these years and fans bitching about BioShock 2 being unworthy of the series because Levine didn't work on it and now Bio2 is looking to outperform a Levine and "Irrational Games" developed prequel critically?

It's not unworthy, but it's not on the level of BioShock storywise. Say what you want, the difference is huge. And for me, story development is the most important thing in BioShock. That's why I love it so much.

Top Bottom