• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong physical editions will be an activation code (no disc), due to Game Science's first time releasing globally + limited resources

• When will my physical edition be delivered?

Game Science is actively collaborating with several production teams to concurrently produce both the Deluxe and Collector's Editions in physical format.

Due to the production of the physical edition involving a significant amount of necessary manual processes and our mutual commitment to quality, we regret that we cannot guarantee immediate delivery of all physical editions right after the release.

Both physical editions come with an activation code for the Digital Deluxe Edition of Black Myth: Wukong (for purchases on JD.com, it will be a WeGame activation code; for overseas purchases, it will be a Steam activation code). To ensure the Destined One with a physical edition can play on August 20th's launch, activation codes will be sent in advance by the customer service of our sales platform after purchase confirmation.

For more information on the physical editions, including detailed product descriptions and estimated delivery dates, please visit the product page at Authorized Third-Party Sales Platform.

• Why are there only activation codes and no disc?
It is the first time for Game Science to release a console game globally, and we are currently facing limitations in offline resources required for the import, export, transportation, distribution, and sales of physical discs. These factors have made it difficult for us to sell physical discs simultaneously with the official release of the game.

Our publishing team is actively working on resolving these issues and exploring options to offer physical discs.

feynoob

Gold Member
Then why even have a physical edition in the first place?

Waste of plastic and resources to manufacture and ship all those boxes.
Plastic box is easy and less expensive unlike disk edition.

I would have preferred if they go with the normal card. Much better than a physical box.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Plastic box is easy and less expensive unlike disk edition.

I would have preferred if they go with the normal card. Much better than a physical box.

Having a box servers literally no purpose to anyone in this case. The publisher is just taking on extra cost. It's like they want to do the thing that all the 'big boys' do and have something on the shelf.

ZoukGalaxy

Guess what you can do with your little paper inside the big empty box ?
Wipe Toilet Paper GIF by Adult Swim

Just do a proper physical release LATER if you can't do properly NOW, is that so complicated ?

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Physical edition without the physical is dog shit.
Having a box servers literally no purpose to anyone in this case. The publisher is just taking on extra cost. It's like they want to do the thing that all the 'big boys' do and have something on the shelf.
It's a dog shit, and there is no excuse for that.

But that is only way a company like these have to show their games. They are selling a product and need to standout.

Life Diff

Neo Member
I'd honestly make a bet on my account that something is very off about this game. Unable to resell once purchased, barely any footage of how the game operates, out in 2 months & a cgi trailer.

They're making blue balled physical editions like wtf?

Crayon

So I mostly like physical these days is because it's a souvenir on the shelf if the game was good. But somehow this ruins that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So I mostly like physical these days is because it's a souvenir on the shelf if the game was good. But somehow this ruins that.

If you buy a game physically, the least you should expect is a disc that can at least be shared or resold, even if it doesn't have all the game data.

This completely eliminates the opportunity to rent, share, resell even if you buy the game 'physically'.

Crayon

If you buy a game physically, the least you should expect is a disc that can at least be shared or resold, even if it doesn't have all the game data.

This completely eliminates the opportunity to rent, share, resell even if you buy the game 'physically'.

That's the important thing to me. I generally don't do those things but I will take advantage of the option as long as it's still available.

But as far as the day to day enjoyment I get out of having the physical is like I said, a souvenir of a game I might have spent 50-100 hours on.

stickkidsam

Gold Member
So they don’t have the resources to make discs but they have the resources to make a bunch of empty plastic cases? What’s the point?? Just pick one!

I don’t want things to be all digital but this is just that with extra steps! It’s almost insulting lmao

Majukun

I support this. Reaching global audience is expensive.

Gamers think that these company have the resources to print out a million physical copies without any financial constraints.
if you are already making the cases and shipping them on shops around the world, printing the actual disks is not what's expensive.

What a great free PR marketing campaign to launch a new IP! "activation code in the physical edition, you'll own nothing and be happy". Pure geniuses are at work.

Mr.Phoenix

This is just crazy to me. Why package a piece of paper with some numbers, only for you to take that number and download your game online? Are you allowed to use the numbers on any number of consoles? Can you resell it?

If the answer to those questions is no, then this is just a waste of plastic to me.

Gideon

Chinese gamer here. Saw some discussion in this post about Black Myth Wukong not having discs in their physical editions and realised there's a misunderstanding/mistranslation.

It's true that there'll be no discs in the box but they are actually referring to the limited Deluxe Edition and Collector's Edition here. As you can see they come with many other collectibles and are much more expensive than the regular game, so it's not the regular physical edition you buy from a shop. As far as I know they are the only two physical editions Game Science is releasing now.

For the regular physical copies they are simply delayed due to logistics issues. You won't be able to buy the discs at launch, but it'll also not be activation codes in a case.

Aenima

If the physical disks are just delayed and not ready for launch is not that bad. If the game ends up living up to the expectations i can wait untill the physical disk drop and buy it then.

I just wont pay full price for anything digital only.

Last edited:

intbal

At least they're being honest about it.
It's better than Halo Infinite, where they included a disc in the shipping case that didn't actually contain the game.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Guess what you can do with your little paper inside the big empty box ?
Wipe Toilet Paper GIF by Adult Swim

Just do a proper physical release LATER if you can't do properly NOW, is that so complicated ?
Why, if it needs a day 1 50 GB patch? Like hogwash legacy.

Why do I have the feeling that every announcement about this game will make it sound worse and worse as we near release date.
It will be over engineered, there will be too much content/will be too long, there will be pacing issues and the like. First game, usual issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom