• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther - Official Trailer

Seesaw15

It bugs me a bit as so far the MCU has been our real world with a few advances in technology. The idea that in our world a country could be secretly advanced like Wakanda is jumping the shark and disconnecting a bit too much.

Hitler's men found a space cube and invented laser weapons in the 1940's.

The Kree

Banned
Right, we even see the ship fly through the cloaking field that conceals Wakanda in the trailer.

giphy.gif

It's almost like they put this shit in the trailer because they knew people would be asking these dumb ass questions and it still didn't matter.

caliph95

Hitler's men found a space cube and invented laser weapons in the 1940's.
Ant and wasp was running around during the cold war when Hydra was making Supersoldiers
Agent Carter was right after the 40s and was fighting science fiction weapons
Arnim Zola somehow made an ai copy of himself before laptops was invented with old timey computers
There's been a diverse secret society of kung fu wizards for thousands of years hidden
Norse gods exists in another dimension

There's nothing really out there about a secret nation with advanced technology, it's even a pulp cliche

Ant and wasp was running around during the cold war when Hydra was making Supersoldiers
Agent Carter was right after the 40s and was fighting science fiction weapons
Arnim Zola somehow made an ai copy of himself before laptops was invented with old timey computers
There's been a diverse secret society of kung fu wizards for thousands of years hidden
Norse gods exists in another dimension

There's nothing really out there about a secret nation with advanced technology, it's even a pulp cliche
Especially because they have like..the entire earths supply of Vibranium, a shit ton of it too.

A lot can be done with it.

Oh Also:
Tony Stark built an arc reactor out of spare parts in a fucking cave, so small it fit in his chest. Yet other genius scientists couldn't get close.

Alienous

Black Panther OT: Only 3/5th as believable as a Raccoon in Space

It's not all racism, believe it or not.

If people refuse to accept an explanation for Wakanda then by all means insinuate they're a racist, if that's what you want to do. But "How does Wakanda exist?" is "Where did Spider-Man get his powers from?" levels of inquiry, and jumping straight to 'Oh, so you don't think black people are stupid' is just grating.

I can understand not wanting to answer the question but it doesn't hurt to allow people to discuss lore without suggesting they're racists.

redfox088

Banned

If people refuse to accept an explanation for Wakanda then by all means insinuate they're a racist, if that's what you want to do. But "How does Wakanda exist?" is "Where did Spider-Man get his powers from?" levels of inquiry, and jumping straight to 'Oh, so you don't think black people are stupid' is just grating.

I can understand not wanting to answer the question but it doesn't hurt to allow people to discuss lore without suggesting they're racists.
“Wakanda being so advanced and hidden from the world is a jumping of the shark moment in the MCU timeline” when the trailer shows a camouflage system is at play is inherently prejudiced when the same people didn’t care about the science of Thor, GOTG, and Captain America. I hope you are African American to have such a stance bro. This is ignorance via privilege at its finest. “ It’s not racists because it doesn’t seem racist to me” when the you do not identify or empathize withthe race in question is the definition of privilege.

Viewt

Lupita is so gorgeous ;__;

Everyone in this movie is, with like 2-3 exceptions (poor Forest Whitaker). I wouldn't call it CW-levels implausible, but it's a little distracting.

Psyched to see Wakanda fully realized on-screen. I wonder how much of the actual country we'll see. I imagine most it will take place in and around the Golden City.

The lore has been repeated ad nauseam.

Nobody who likes comic book movies asks "how did Peter Parker get his powers?" and then responds to the answer with "that's not remotely plausible, I'm out". That's what we're seeing happen with this movie. And the answers for how Wakanda exists are so cliched that to insinuate that people are incapable of coming up with the how and why themselves is embarrassing.

Yes, the reason is racism. Full stop.

The diet racism and willfull ignorance in some of these posts is gross.

Breh.

This was already addressed a couple times on previous pages:-

In a few weeks, people will line up to see a Norse god, his brother, and an irradiated green knot of muscle fight through an alien planet to try and prevent the apocalypse at the hands of the Norse goddess of the underworld. Soon, that same group will join the Black Panther and others to stop a genocidal, nihilistic alien warlord from warping the properties of reality itself with a gem-encrusted glove.

I understand asking questions about the fiction but there's something inherently disingenuous about trying to hold this MCU movie to realistic standards. Hell, just from this trailer the "unreasonable" things we see are super geniuses, hidden civilizations, a cloaking field, clothing that assembles itself over the wearer, remote-operated vehicles, and hover cars which all are almost generic elements in science fiction in general, let alone elements that aren't unfamiliar to the rest of the established MCU and the comics themselves.

There's being curious about the in-universe explanation for Wakanda and then there's people saying "it's too over-the-top, they're just making things up" because their racist biases cant allow their brain to comprehend something as basic as having a technological utopia hidden in the heart of Africa.

It's fine to ask those questions about the political spectrum and history of Wakanda.

It's not fine to come at this with disbelief that this would exists in the real world when we all know the MCU doesn't follow real world rules. At that point look up Afrofuturism.

Alienous

“Wakanda being so advanced and hidden from the world is a jumping of the shark moment in the MCU timeline” when the trailer shows a camouflage system is at play is inherently prejudiced when the same people didn’t care about the science of Thor, GOTG, and Captain America. I hope you are African American to have such a stance bro. This is ignorance via privilege at its finest. “ It’s not racists because it doesn’t seem racist to me” when the you do not identify or empathize withthe race in question is the definition of privilege.

No, that was not my argument.

I said MCU was our world with some advances in technology, I never said that made it unrealistic.

The unrealistic part is in our world an entire nation having advanced tech and none of it being known about.

GOTG is far off in space, we shouldn't notice it. Same for Asgard.

The 'Like reality unless noted' trope someone linked applies to MCU. I just find the Wakanda note to be jumping the shark and too big a disconnect from reality.

I don't think that's an unfair, or racist, question to ask. Nothing about Africa, nothing about black people. There's no basis in reading that post and deciding a person wouldn't feel the same way if Wakanda was a country in Europe.

This isn't a magical or alien world being presented. Believing the most technologically advanced country on Earth would simply be too difficult secret to keep isn't unreasonable. And it's something that could seem more reasonable given a proper context - "It's possible that SHIELD suppresses information about Wakanda and its whereabouts".

Blatz

Wait isn't this turn of phrase racist as fuck?

Not originally.

"the expression "to call a spade a spade." For almost half a millennium, the phrase has served as a demand to "tell it like it is." It is only in the past century that the phrase began to acquire a negative, racial overtone.

Historians trace the origins of the expression to the Greek phrase "to call a fig a fig and a trough a trough." Exactly who was the first author of "to call a trough a trough" is lost to history. Some attribute it to Aristophanes, while others attribute it to the playwright Menander. The Greek historian Plutarch (who died in A.D. 120) used it in Moralia. The blogger Matt Colvin, who has a Ph.D. in Greek literature, recently pointed out that the original Greek expression was very likely vulgar in nature and that the "figs" and "troughs" in question were double entendres."

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade

I don't think that's an unfair, or racist, question to ask. Nothing about Africa, nothing about black people. There's no basis in reading that post and deciding a person wouldn't feel the same way if Wakanda was a country in Europe.

This isn't a magical or alien world being presented. Believing the most technologically advanced country on Earth would simply be too difficult secret to keep isn't unreasonable. And it's something that could seem more reasonable given a proper context - "It's possible that SHIELD suppresses information about Wakanda and its whereabouts".

This is why I said earlier the people asking these questions are either racists or idiots. Neither of which is a good look.

"How can an entire country this advanced technologically exist without others knowing?"

The answer is in the fucking question. It's right fucking there. Anybody can easily make the jump to "some kind of tech the let's them cloak themselves". But they're completely incapable here.

Not to mention insinuating that Wakanda needs the help of SHIELD to suppress themselves doesn't make sense when Wakanda is more advanced than SHIELD is. This is so easy.

You won't get these kinds of questions about Atlantis when Justice League drops.

Alienous

Not to mention insinuating that Wakanda needs the help of SHIELD to suppress themselves doesn't make sense when Wakanda is more advanced than SHIELD is. This is so easy.

I only mention SHIELD because it's an established intelligence agency in the MCU - it allows you to argue "Well, you didn't think the existence of SHIELD was too big a disconnect from reality - why wouldn't they have the ability to hide the existence of a country?".

Alienous

Also people "know" where Wakanda is. They just don't get to see the whole of it.

I think that's another worthwhile bit of information to relay to someone who doubts Wakanda could be kept a secret. People aren't looking for Wakanda because they already think they know what Wakanda is. It doesn't just hide, it actively portrays a false face to the world.

redfox088

Banned

It’s not the question. The answer is in the trailer it’s the inability to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the movie is the problem.

I think that's another worthwhile bit of information to relay to someone who doubts Wakanda could be kept a secret. People aren't looking for Wakanda because they already think they know what Wakanda is. It doesn't just hide, it actively portrays a false face to the world.

Did the first 30 seconds of the teaser trailer not already do that?

I only mention SHIELD because it's an established intelligence agency in the MCU - it allows you to argue "Well, you didn't think the existence of SHIELD was too big a disconnect from reality - why wouldn't they have the ability to hide the existence of a country?".

Doesn't matter. Wakanda is introduced to people as the most technologically advanced country on the planet. That's the premise people are given.

Ergo, why the fuck would you think Wakanda needs SHIELD to help them hide?

The first teaser has Klaw establish that there's a "Wakanda" in name, and the real Wakanda behind the scenes.

Ronin Ray

In the second Iron Man movie they show Shield is watching wakanda or have them marked as an interest. Howard Stark definitely knew of them in some way since he bulit caps Shield. The guy in Avengers 2 definitely know about it since he was stealing from them. Cap and Iron Man give each other a look as if they definitely know what it is. I can't remember if it was in civil war or age of Ultron. People know of there existence the question is how much do they know.

Sou Da

I wasn't following this conversation really.

Slayven

500 girls went missing in real world africa and the collective world went "Shrug".

In this case the collective racism of the world helps cause people ain't checking on africa like that.

Which comes up in Black Panther( people should read the books all this shit is answered 30330 times over)

Wakanda has a extensive spy ring in the US government. Know what the wakanda spys standard equipment is?

stock-photo-black-garbage-bags-on-janitor-cart-87415631.jpg

No one checks the black janitor

We know that already. This is touched on in Civil War and the first trailer for Black Panther. Overtly, at that, not via Easter eggs or background information.

Top Bottom