• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neith

Banned
I hate people, we let this masterpiece fall by the wayside.

Fuck 'em. This film will do fine overseas. It's a long film. It respects its source material. Fuck the people that wanted to make some soulless garbage like the robocop reboot.

This one did it right. I'm just glad it got made. Seeing it in Imax this friday. Whatever. It will do okay on disc as well and through streaming. It will make its money back.

So much drama when something doesn't open to 100m on first weekend. This is why films are in trouble.

Don't you worry hollywood accounting means everyone gets paid and there is a decent profit but somehow it's in the red.

Neith

Banned
OMG triple post sorry lol.

critics vs audience: the eternal struggle.

especially movie critics seem to be so far up their own ass and trapped in their echochamber its not even funny anymore..

its gone so far that my interest in a movie usually dies when critics rave it. propably means its a boring slogfest most of the time.

edit: i dont mean in the case of BR2049, but more generally. havent seen BR yet.

That was certainly true about that black and white swoon song throwback that I can not remember the name of yet it won best picture some how.

Anyway, BR will break even. It will be fine. This crazy doom and gloom stuff is preposterous.

TrutaS

It was a good movie - a tad drawn-out and I even like big movies. Hope it picks up thanks to word of mouth, since word of critics didn't quite work this time.

Ithil

Regardless of box office receipts - is it not the most accessible movie? Concerned that my gf, who likes SciFi, may not like 3 hours of slow burning SciFi...

That depends on what you mean by that. I mean, does she like sci-fi, or has she just seen Star Wars?

I was shocked when I read about the budget of this film. I’ve not seen this film so I’m not sure if it needed such a large budget, but Blade Runner doesn’t appeal to blockbuster crowds so it shouldn’t have had that budget.

I was shocked when I read about the budget of this film. I've not seen this film so I'm not sure if it needed such a large budget, but Blade Runner doesn't appeal to blockbuster crowds so it shouldn't have had that budget.

The film looks stunning and believable. You see every dollar that went into the production. I don't know how much the actors were payed but building this ridiculous world must have been expensive as hell. It's roughly the same budget as Mad Mad: Fury Road, right?

AllGamer

The film looks stunning and believable. You see every dollar that went into the production. I don't know how much the actors were payed but building this ridiculous world must have been expensive as hell. It's roughly the same budget as Mad Mad: Fury Road, right?

Yeah. According to boxofficemojo, Mad Max: Fury Road and Blade Runner 2049 had a budget of $150 million.

III-V

Its painfully obvious to see the hot takes from people who haven't seen the film and have no clue what they are talking about. What do you think you are adding to the conversation? Your input is meaningless.

Im not really sure why Mad Max Fury Road keeps getting brought up, they are two completely different movies.

They are different but they have some things in common. Both of them create appealing worlds with masterful confidence. Both tread the audience with respect and both feel out of place in this day and age. Movies with such weight simply don't get made, especially with that kind of budget.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Lmao

GAF is overhyping Blade Runner so much. The script and pacing are painful at times but I guess it looks good and has blaring synthwave here and there so it has to be a masterpiece.
I think it has a lot of issues but it at least tried to be a mature sci-fi story with interesting ideas, with minimal action and a slow pace. I respect the effort and think it deserves better, even if I don't think it's great.

Lmao

GAF is overhyping Blade Runner so much. The script and pacing are painful at times but I guess it looks good and has blaring synthwave here and there so it has to be a masterpiece.

More lazy condescension, devoid of thought. Do you ever get bored of wasting your time with shit like this? Why even bother, do you need to go to rehab for a message board shitposting addiction?

no idea dude, people used this with MGSV a lot too

"great game, but a bad metal gear!"

like ok?? cool?? whatever

Great Game = Gameplay, the way snake moved and controlled was sublime, the best gameplay in the entire franchise history. Bad Metal Gear = Narrative felt weak and disjointed and abrupt with Less dialogues. Now you get it?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Lmao

image.php

Lmao

Yes, that is why it is acclaimed by film critics off of GAF as well.

Kill3r7

Can't say it is surprising. The original was a cult hit but there was no indication of mass market appeal. I am glad the sequel was made though.

Lmao

I agree it's being oversold to some degree, and the 'When I say Jesus Villeneuve, you say praise him' puffery I see around here at times is amusing, but this isn't really the way to state it. You're just doing the flipside of their 'masterpiece slighted by the unwashed masses' shtick.

duckroll

I agree it's being oversold to some degree, and the 'When I say Jesus Villeneuve, you say praise him' puffery I see around here at times is amusing, but this isn't really the way to state it. You're just doing the flipside of their 'masterpiece slighted by the unwashed masses' shtick.

Are you questioning Villeneuve's divinity?

"Masterpiece" lol. Give me a break. That shit isnt determined until years after a film comes out.

Why not? For example, I knew Fury Road was a masterpiece while watching it. I got a similar feeling with 2049. Same with..let's say Oldboy, Blade Runner original (I was young and didn't know of any hype or cult) and Alien (same here).

I'd say a movie has to age a bit to be a classic but to me the status of a masterpiece doesn't have anything to do with age.

Window

Lmao

Yikes, you have a very low opinion of everyone on here don't you? There's lots of films with audience and critical acclaim which I didn't care for either (Gravity) but that doesn't mean I think everyone else is a simpleton.

Kazuhira

In a way,i don't care if the franchise got canned since this sequel is still awesome,it's not like i want BR3,4,5 now or something.
Strange way to see it i guess,maybe the only downside is that the people involved won't get the recognition they deserve imo.

Yikes, you have a very low opinion of everyone on here don't you? There's lots of films with audience and critical acclaim which I didn't care for either (Gravity) but that doesn't mean I think everyone else is a simpleton.

As soon as 5 people agree something is good on Gaf, there is always one person that nominates them self to tear it down. "People like something? Not on my watch!"

I would say its less accessible than the original because its longer, requires you to think more, and somewhat depends on an understanding of the original going into it. And if you didn't like the original, you won't like this.

But its sci-fi at its very best, one of the top 5 in the genre over the last 30 years.
Agree with all of this.

Go see it GAF. I am blown away.

I saw the movie Sunday morning at 10:30am, and the theater was pretty full, which isn’t common for a non-kid’s movie. It wasn’t as packed as Wonder Woman’s first Sunday showing, but it seemed more popular than these doom and gloom articles make it out to be. I always found it strange they talk about weekend box office receipts only counting Friday and Saturday, when a lot of people will see a movie Sunday based on word of mouth, but Friday/Saturday popularity is mostly due to marketing and franchise popularity.

I really enjoyed the movie, I thought they did a really good job replicating the feel of the first one, and making it all about interesting characters. It’s definitely a sequel, and I think people who haven’t seen the first might be kind-of lost.

If it's failing so hard I'm tempted to go book another IMAX showing and actually get a good seat this time.

But then again IMAX is so expensive.

I saw the movie Sunday morning at 10:30am, and the theater was pretty full, which isn’t common for a non-kid’s movie. It wasn’t as packed as Wonder Woman’s first Sunday showing, but it seemed more popular than these doom and gloom articles make it out to be. I always found it strange they talk about weekend box office receipts only counting Friday and Saturday, when a lot of people will see a movie Sunday based on word of mouth, but Friday/Saturday popularity is mostly due to marketing and franchise popularity.

I really enjoyed the movie, I thought they did a really good job replicating the feel of the first one, and making it all about interesting characters. It’s definitely a sequel, and I think people who haven’t seen the first might be kind-of lost.
By contrast I went on Saturday around 4pm and there were all of 8 people in the theater.

Also, they didn't spend nearly enough marketing the film. I don't think I've seen a single ad for this movie outside of trailers posted on GAF.

gamz

Its painfully obvious to see the hot takes from people who haven't seen the film and have no clue what they are talking about. What do you think you are adding to the conversation? Your input is meaningless.

You dont have to see the movie to realize spending that kinda scratch on a niche sci-fi movie is a huge gamble that's not paying off. It's a thread about box office performance.

Edit:. Actually reading over comments that are anything but the subject of the thread I see where you are going with your comment.

III-V

You dont have to see the movie to realize spending that kinda scratch on a niche sci-fi movie is a huge gamble that's not paying off. It's a thread about box office performance.

Edit:. Actually reading over comments that are anything but the subject of the thread I see where you are going with your comment.

right, the thread hasn't played out that way.

zer0das

Banned
By contrast I went on Saturday around 4pm and there were all of 8 people in the theater.

Also, they didn't spend nearly enough marketing the film. I don't think I've seen a single ad for this movie outside of trailers posted on GAF.

They had like a million ads on Twitch.

Apathy

Just caught up with the overnight discussion. I'm surprised how many people think a dune movie would be appealing to mainstream audiences. It'll probably fail with them like 2049 did.

Dune probably would be better as a miniseries on HBO or Netflix

Saw this in the cinema on release date here in the UK. Took my girlfriend to see it and kept telling her she might not like this film. She has the complete opposite tastes in film but I REALLY wanted to see this and she was kind enough to not let me go alone.

The film was pretty good, and a much better sequel than I expected in 2017. She fell asleep about an hour in. There was about 20 people in the entire cinema that night, which was a shame but, to be honest, expected.

I'm glad they didn't make this a Michael bay film to appease what's popular in 2017. Although I'm sure the shareholders may not be so happy.

Monocle

Blade Runner 2049 is dope as fuck and it makes sense that it's failing in a country that elected Donald Trump president.
I won't lie, a similar thought crossed my mind when I saw this thread.

I watched it on thursday and I called it a 7/10 movie. Just to be sure I am not riding any bandwagon.
I'd give it 3.5/4 (What is up with the 8 point scale rating of film reviews?)
It's deffo a 5.78/6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom