• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are people falling asleep during it? It was maybe the loudest theater experience I've ever had.

Funny that you mention the volume, it was painfully loud at points which really pissed me off with the sound track. At one point my partner had her finger in her ear. Didn't stop her passing out later though. The film is peppered with a lot of down time.

Nibel

Blade Runner 2049 is dope as fuck and it makes sense that it's failing in a country that elected Donald Trump president.

3fzdyyeeojoj.gif

Regginator

Fucking people, man. I went to see it yesterday and I loved it. It was everything I wanted and expected it to be, and then some. Definitely a worthy sequel to the original, in fact, I'd even go as far as to say I loved 2049 more.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Blade Runner 2049 is dope as fuck and it makes sense that it's failing in a country that elected Donald Trump president.
It’s funny because WB actually put out a press release saying 2049 did great in major cities but not in the rural south/mid-west.

Flyover country fails us again.

jett

D-Member
The scifi isn't the "problem" with BR2049. Well, actually it is, because it creates the expectation of the sort of scifi film people tend to expect. The big questions and mystery in the film don't matter, it's more a thoughtful contemplation sort of film. A character study with some (barely) exciting bits, there's tension but it's more about the character emotions from beat to beat rather than feeling like a pure detective thriller. It's a strong mood piece with a lot of lingering shots and amazing cinematography.

I don't really think people have a problem understanding what the movie is about or what it wants to say. It's not some complex puzzle that needs to be solved. The question is really whether a person is interested in sitting through a long mood piece that's thematic.

Villeneuve is kind of an asshole to be honest, to get this kind of budget and then turn out something like this. He obviously had zero interest in making something friendly to mainstream audiences lol. At least Nolan feels somewhat responsible to WB.

Budi

A real shame, from what I've gathered the film just like many others deserves much better.
I'll probably wait for Bluray too though.

Risto

Banned
Villeneuve is kind of an asshole to be honest, to get this kind of budget and then turn out something like this. He obviously had zero interest in making something friendly to mainstream audiences lol. At least Nolan feels somewhat responsible to WB.

What is this? He’s a director who did his job and made an amazing movie. Blade runner has never been about big action scenes and appealing to the mainstream. It’s not the fault of the director if the movie is a modern masterpiece but the transformers crowd doesn’t enjoy it.

Spuck-uk

Banned
150 mill for a sequel to a movie that only the nerdiest of the nerds watched and uphold.

What could go wrong?

I think this might actually be a worse take than OP, impressive really.

Film fucking owns, but most people want bad action filled superhero movies. Glad they didn't make it short and stupid, if you liked Arrival, you'll love it.

Timbuktu

What is this? He’s a director who did his job and made an amazing movie. Blade runner has never been about big action scenes and appealing to the mainstream. It’s not the fault of the director if the movie is a modern masterpiece but the transformers crowd doesn’t enjoy it.

I guess he means if Villeneuve was friends with the producing people and they launched his career, then it is a bit nasty to them to spend the budget and knowingly ruin them. It might have been possible to make a film just as good for less money.

Risto

Banned
I guess he means if Villeneuve was friends with the producing people and they launched his career, then it is a bit nasty to them to spend the budget and knowingly ruin them. It might have been possible to make a film just as good for less money.

It seems fair to say that if he made a movie that appeals to the mainstream in 2017 and does huge box office numbers it would not live up to the original in spirit and would not be a great blade runner movie. This movie was never going to do huge box office numbers in 2017 and it’s not his fault they gave him a huge budget.

duckroll

He's an asshole for giving them exactly what they asked for?????

You realize that the producers who got him on board did so because they produced Prisoners and loved his work right? The budget was already penciled in before he signed on, so was the script. He didn't demand anything, he was handed the perfect sequel for BR to direct and the money they thought he would need to do it.

The question is, why did these two awesome gentlemen think there was financial reward for this? I don't know.

Prompto

Banned
Is Ryan Gosling a big box office draw? Is he expected to be a leading man on the level of someone like Chris Pratt?
I don't think he really wants to be. He's turned down other offers like being Doctor Strange and being the Joker. This was really Gosling's first big budget movie.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

If anything it was the fault of the marketing team, making it seem like an action sci fi movie when you look at the trailers etc. and giving this movie such a high budget knowing what kind of movie this would be that isn't really suited to the mainstream audience.

Monocle

WTF. I'd die happy if I could make a movie half as great as BR2049. It's a real cinematic achievement. Deep, beautiful, memorable.

What an odd capitalist take on a movie that so brilliantly succeeds on its own terms. It's the ideal Blade Runner sequel, recapturing its tone and themes while broadening its world. Profits should be the least of a director's concerns when they have the daunting task of making a worthy follow-up to a landmark genre defining classic.

The movie's investors may have lost money, but they made a meaningful and likely enduring contribution to culture. Not the worst outcome.

Timbuktu

It seems fair to say that if he made a movie that appeals to the mainstream in 2017 and does huge box office numbers it would not live up to the original in spirit and would not be a great blade runner movie. This movie was never going to do huge box office numbers in 2017 and it’s not his fault they gave him a huge budget.

Another way to see this would be that it's a bit of a miracle that this film got made. Maybe these guys had a higher calling than making money, but obviously they can't say that without being sued by investors etc.

I feel that there never was that many (1982) Blade Runner fans, they are just really fucking loud fans.

For one thing, my gut feeling is BR1982 fans really are not hard scifi fans, they are more champions of a particular cinematic narration style, which is very good but not scifi. If you actually read the book, Deckard is not a replicant and his personal story with his wife and all that makes a lot more sense. In other words, BR1982 fans are really more Ridley Scott fans than hard scifi fans. I can go on and on why BR1982 is not very good but I feel that there is no point to argue with the Scott Choir.

BTW the 2017 BR also has truckload of style which caters to very similar audiences.

Plum

lol at calling Villeneuve an asshole for making a film he wanted to make. Maybe Warner Bros. should have thought a bit more carefully before giving that kind of money to a Blade Runner sequel made by the guy who directed Arrival and Sicario.

That's like giving a $100m budget to Micheal Bay for a Bad Boys sequel, giving the guy free reign to do what he wants, then expecting a romantic comedy in return.

Risto

Banned
Another way to see this would be that it's a bit of a miracle that this film got made. Maybe these guys had a higher calling than making money, but obviously they can't say that without being sued by investors etc.

I think this sentiment used to be a thing in Hollywood. I don’t think Hollywood in 2017 considers movies an art form anymore. It’s all about money, not about genuinely making a timeless movie.

hiredhand

What was the last non-Star Wars/superhero scifi film that actually performed well?

Recently basically everything scifi seemed to have flopped (Valerian, Ghost in the Shell) or at least underperformed (War for the Planet of the Apes, Star Trek Beyond).

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
lol at calling Villeneuve an asshole for making a film he wanted to make. Maybe Warner Bros. should have thought a bit more carefully before giving that kind of money to a Blade Runner sequel made by the guy who directed Arrival and Sicario.

That's like giving a $100m budget to Micheal Bay for a Bad Boys sequel, giving the guy free reign to do what he wants, then expecting a romantic comedy in return.

It's Alcon (who also spent 100 million $ on the Point Break remake) and Sony who funded the movie, WB is the distributor in the US.

Monocle

Maybe Warner Bros. should have thought a bit more carefully before giving that kind of money to a Blade Runner sequel made by the guy who directed Arrival and Sicario.

Yeah, who could have imagined that Villeneuve would make a faithful Blade Runner sequel? I was expecting something more in line with his past hits, Starship Troopers and Furious 7.

jett

D-Member
What is this? He's a director who did his job and made an amazing movie. Blade runner has never been about big action scenes and appealing to the mainstream. It's not the fault of the director if the movie is a modern masterpiece but the transformers crowd doesn't enjoy it.

He's an asshole for giving them exactly what they asked for?????

You realize that the producers who got him on board did so because they produced Prisoners and loved his work right? The budget was already penciled in before he signed on, so was the script. He didn't demand anything, he was handed the perfect sequel for BR to direct and the money they thought he would need to do it.

The question is, why did these two awesome gentlemen think there was financial reward for this? I don't know.

It was kind of a joke, but also kind of this:

I think when you're handling a massive 150M+ production (nearly twice that with prints and advertising included), you have a higher responsibility than just making "good art." It's not just a movie, it's this massive investment. I'm one of those that enjoyed 2049 but still thought it felt slow as molasses at times, so I believe a little trimming here and there could've helped making it more palatable to the average moviegoer without compromising itself. It's not like the length is the problem, it's barely 15 minutes longer than some comic book movies these days. And yet most complaints of people that disliked it "oh it's sooo loooong, sooo boooring", it's almost becoming meme-like. That's about pacing and editing and rests solely on Villeneuve and his editor.

Sure, Villeneuve didn't go overbudget, and he was handed this project, in a way. But when you reach budgets of a certain level you probably do need a little compromise to make the money back. Good for him I guess. Not good at all for Alcon.

Alcon is for sure insane. Denis Villeneuve didn't even have final cut in the movie. They just let this happen.

III-V

Is this sarcasm

It’s funny because WB actually put out a press release saying 2049 did great in major cities but not in the rural south/mid-west.

Flyover country fails us again.

Kingsman moved the entire setting to the US and added a bunch of hick characters. and IT was sending clowns out to important battleground states like 2 years ago, but Blade Runner 2049 thought it could just ignore the middle of the country and make up the difference in California and New York. It was pure hubris, but if you ask me the blame for Blade Runner 2049's failure really lies at the feet of Flatliners, which siphoned off a precious percentage of the sci-fi audience.

Monocle

Kingsman moved the entire setting to the US and added a bunch of hick characters. and IT was sending clowns out to important battleground states like 2 years ago, but Blade Runner 2049 thought it could just ignore the middle of the country and make up the difference in California and New York. It was pure hubris, but if you ask me the blame for Blade Runner 2049's failure really lies at the feet of Flatliners, which siphoned off a precious percentage of the sci-fi audience.
Chuckles were had. Approving nods were made.

duckroll

I actually saw the trailer for Flatliners before BR2049 here. Lmao.

Where can I preorder the book on this?

Trurl

Banned
Didn't the same thing happen with Ghost in the Shell?

Do Americans hate well-made cyberpunk movies?

I didn't see Ghost in the Shell because I heard that it was bad. Was that wrong? One lesson that I have relearned recently is to not trust audience and critical consensus.

jett

D-Member
I didn't see Ghost in the Shell because I heard that it was bad. Was that wrong? One lesson that I have relearned recently is to not trust audience and critical consensus.

GitS was exceedingly dull and lacking in anything resembling an original or interesting thought.

Good visuals, cool effects, every other aspect ranged from mediocre to bad and boring

george_us

Ghost in the Shell was awful. I regret the 99 cents I spent to rent it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I liked Ghost in the Shell, but it was nowhere on the level of Blade Runner. Also, people stayed away because of the whitewashing, and the lack of knowledge on Ghost in the Shell in general.

IKizzLE

So what if you didn't like blade runner and hate shitty movies like transformers?

Common rhetoric I see around criticism for people who didn't like this movie is that they only like incoherent shit like transformers?

Zen Aku

I think this might actually be a worse take than OP, impressive really.

Film fucking owns, but most people want bad action filled superhero movies. Glad they didn't make it short and stupid, if you liked Arrival, you'll love it.
I loved Arrival, but I certainly didn't love Blade Runner 2049.

Monocle

The supporting cast was pretty decent, but overall it was middling. BR2049 is the same kind of story done right. The world, themes, characters, plot... all miles above the GitS film adaptation.

duckroll

I think when you're handling a massive 150M+ production (nearly twice that with prints and advertising included), you have a higher responsibility than just making "good art." It's not just a movie, it's this massive investment.

That's the job of producers. That is literally what their job description is. They manage the expectations of the director in terms of what they can afford and what sort of film they should be aiming for. They find out how to sell the movie and make it profitable. They get partners together to fund the movie. That's production. The director just directs. Some directors are also producers, so the roles blend. In this case Villeneuve carried out exactly what he was asked to do per their arrangement. He made it really clear that if they had wanted a blockbuster sort of movie he wouldn't have been involved, so it's not like he forced his way into anything! They all wanted this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom