• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

Yeah trust me, annoys the hell out of me too.

Finally got her to sit down and watch the OG Star Wars Trilogy after she liked The Force Awakens and she didn't like that at all. Actually fell asleep during Return of the Jedi
Sorry dude.

My now wife hadn't seen Star Wars so I had her watch it while we were dating. She now likes it and agreed to have our kid named after a character.

.. She even wants to name our next one Kylo which I even think is crazy.

Pachimari

He finds the photo at Leon's Apartment just like the scale. When he zooms in he sees Zhora was in Leon's apartment. He has no idea where Leon is at that point and though the scale was his. There isn't a snake tattoo. He doesn't even know the scale is from a snake, he thought it was from a fish. Then he figures the scale will lead him to her so he tracks down who made the snake.

Fun fact, similar thing was used in Black Rain with the sequin from the dress.

This makes so much sense. Now I am following along again and will resume the movie. Thanks a lot for your explanation.

Badgerst3

Childcare secured for the earliest possible matinee I could find in my city on Friday! My wife doesn't care about this nearly as much as I do, but MAN I am hyped!

Same, but with the wife. Inlaws babysitting for 7:30p Friday Cineapolis showing.

Bonus is the Parmesan truffle fries and a Sculpin.

Early birthday present.

Ironically, the original holds a special place in my heart since it was the first date I ever went on solo.

Same, but with the wife. Inlaws babysitting for 7:30p Friday Cineapolis showing.

Bonus is the Parmesan truffle fries and a Sculpin.

Early birthday present.

Ironically, the original holds a special place in my heart since it was the first date I ever went on solo.

Oh my wife is coming too! She just isn't as excited as I am... Oh well :)

Another James Bond movie is like one of the least enticing thing you could attach someone to right now...

QoS was shit. Skyfall was pretty, but that's about it. Spectre was steaming trash.
People were probably saying the same after Die Another Day

Although I'd only want a Nolan or Villeneuve Bond if they were kicking off a new era with a new actor rather than doing a Craig film

He finds the photo at Leon's Apartment just like the scale. When he zooms in he sees Zhora was in Leon's apartment. He has no idea where Leon is at that point and though the scale was his. There isn't a snake tattoo. He doesn't even know the scale is from a snake, he thought it was from a fish. Then he figures the scale will lead him to her so he tracks down who made the snake.

This has always been an unresolved mystery for me (but I don't seem to watch films for plot anyway, so I don't mind.) My impression has always been that the photograph was part of an implanted memory programme, and that Deckard deduces something about the common memory given to all Nexus 6 androids by examining it.

Your interpretation does make sense to me now because in rewatching the film recently (for reference, it was the international cut in which form I saw the film for the first time, in 1982) I noticed that Deckard picked the photograph up in Leon's flat. This conflicts with my long-held view as stated above.

Surfinn

Another James Bond movie is like one of the least enticing thing you could attach someone to right now...

QoS was shit. Skyfall was pretty, but that's about it. Spectre was steaming trash.
Yes

I want the new and interesting thing instead of Bond 2020

Yes

I want the new and interesting thing instead of Bond 2020

Yes. It's not as if there weren't lots of other talented film directors with quite sparse dance cards, after this disastrous summer season for Hollywood. Let the job go to somebody who needs it.

People were probably saying the same after Die Another Day

Although I'd only want a Nolan or Villeneuve Bond if they were kicking off a new era with a new actor rather than doing a Craig film

I think Villeneuve will do this one and Nolan is probably the frontrunner for the reboots, -especially- if WB picks up Bond

Raziel

I'm sure it's been said before but is this the most blue and orange poster that ever blue and oranged?

1dgn98a.jpg

Ok I got to confess: I have not watched original Bladerunner. Should I watch it before this movie? Or should I go blind in this movie making it more unknown of its world?

These reviews are all hype inducing and I am sucker for thought provoking sci-fi movies.

djlr181

Ok I got to confess: I have not watched original Bladerunner. Should I watch it before this movie? Or should I go blind in this movie making it more unknown of its world?

These reviews are all hype inducing and I am sucker for thought provoking sci-fi movies.

You should watch the original Blade Runner first. You should be fine going in without having seen it, but there will be so many nods to the original that it can only help the experience of the new film and in no way hinder it.

kyser73

This has always been an unresolved mystery for me (but I don't seem to watch films for plot anyway, so I don't mind.) My impression has always been that the photograph was part of an implanted memory programme, and that Deckard deduces something about the common memory given to all Nexus 6 androids by examining it.

Your interpretation does make sense to me now because in rewatching the film recently (for reference, it was the international cut in which form I saw the film for the first time, in 1982) I noticed that Deckard picked the photograph up in Leon's flat. This conflicts with my long-held view as stated above.

'Did you get your precious photos?'

They're Leon's way of making memories - family photos if you will.

Dommo

No sequel to a 30 year old sci-fi cult flop (that later admittedly became a classic) is going to hinge on its predecessor to understand, but why wouldn't you watch the original anyway?

Just watch it.

You say you're a sucker for thought provoking sci-fi movies: the original is that. No one should be watching Blade Runner as homework for 2049. They should just watch Blade Runner because it's Blade Runner.

Ok is it confirmed if this is sequal to Theatrical or Directors cut? Which should my GF watch to prepare?

Final Cut is the best and easiest to obtain. If it is a pick between Director's and Theatrical for whatever reason, Director's is the way to go, and is extremely similar to the final cut.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ok is it confirmed if this is sequal to Theatrical or Directors cut? Which should my GF watch to prepare?

Well, Denis says he believes Deckard isn't a Replicant and Ridley says he is, so, I guess maybe the theatrical? Either way, I really doubt it will matter all that much and if you want to show her the best possible cut of the film, then she should not watch the theatrical and should watch the final or director's cut.

They're all the same film. The different versions only express the director's vision with greater or lesser clarity. Final cut is the closest.

pswii60

Watch the final cut. I saw it again yesterday at the local Arts Cinema and it's still sublime.
And so utterly timeless. Insane to think it's a movie originally released in 1982.

Especially when you think how dated Avatar already looks just 7 years on.

Fuck CGI, basically. The less CGI in a movie the better as far as I'm concerned.

Pachimari

Finished my rewatch of The Final Cut and had forgotten all of it apparently. Nice refresher, loved it. But ugh , what am I supposed to think of Rachel at the end.

This has me so pumped. I mean, Final Cut, a playthrough of the original soundtrack, and then seeing 2049 is in order I think.

I forget, who is doing the soundtrack for this one?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Seeing all these great reviews is really hyping me up. Also seeing the 3 short prequels got me salivating. Gonna watch Final Cut BR tonight to round it off.

I'm sure it's been said before but is this the most blue and orange poster that ever blue and oranged?

1dgn98a.jpg

This poster makes me want to play Rocket League.

Not

Banned
Holy FUCK you guys I am excited for this fucking MOVIE

I want to buy my tickets now

1dgn98a.jpg

I'm glad we're moving towards teal and salmon now everywhere else.

chefbags

Holy FUCK you guys I am excited for this fucking MOVIE

I want to buy my tickets now

I'm glad we're moving towards teal and salmon now everywhere else.

You should. Friend and I already bought are imax tickets for Thursday night and we can't fucking wait. The cinematography is going to leave me in tears alone I bet lol.

Top Bottom