• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I was watching the Graham Norton Show with Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling and they showed a still were Harrison accidentally hit Ryan for real.

oB5c.png

Monocle

It's enough to know that it's being done justice. I don't want to know any plot details going in. So excited for this.

Lol though.

Every fucking time I see his face next to his rotten review of a movie that everybody else loves, it makes me laugh. Look at that face. He knows why you're clicking that Forbes link.

jetsetrez

I'm genuinely shocked, these review quotes sound crazy hyperbolic. I really, really expected this was just going to be a stylish but bad movie and come and go with little notice.

I'm genuinely shocked, these review quotes sound crazy hyperbolic. I really, really expected this was just going to be a stylish but bad movie and come and go with little notice.

I was always worried that a follow up to Blade Runner wouldn't be needed, but have you not seen anything else by director Denis Villeneuve? 'Stylish but bad' isn't his thing.

I mean, all you have to do is look at the movies Denis Villeneuve has directed. I never doubted him for a second. I love all his movies and I think he's the most consistent director in Hollywood at the moment.

Window

I'm not a big Villeneuve fan but do believe he has made good films (has yet to make a great one) and it was apparent from all the films that he has made that he is brilliant at mood and atmosphere, which is what made me believe that he would deliver with Blade Runner.

Just came back from a screening of the Final Cut. It was wonderful seeing it for the first time on the big screen. People really undersell just how weird and original the film really is. Scott and team were working in some other plane of existence when they came up with this stuff.

I'm not reading any reviews, but for those that have: Are there any comments on the 3D? My cinema for some reason only has IMAX 3D available in the openings week, so I bought two tickets for that, thinking that I'll catch the regular version on bluray once that releases anyway.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm not a big Villeneuve fan but do believe he has made good films (has yet to make a great one) and it was apparent from all the films that he has made that he is brilliant at mood and atmosphere, which is what made me believe that he would deliver with Blade Runner.

Just came back from a screening of the Final Cut. It was wonderful seeing it for the first time on the big screen. People really undersell just how weird and original the film really is. Scott and team were working in some other plane of existence when they came up with this stuff.

IMO Sicario is a great film. Bold, daring, beautiful, moving.

No offense to you personally, but I’ve never understood people who held that impression given the immense talent behind this production.

From my perspective, the surprise would have been if this film had turned out to be anything less than stellar.

I'm happy it turned out so well. The trailers visually looked great but I wasn't sold on the rest of it even with Villeneuve behind it. Wasn't sure how much Ridley Scott would be involved with it either.

Pls, let's not waste Villanueve on star wars.

Yes, by all means, let's not recruit one of the best directors in the industry to work on one of the most iconic franchises on the planet. :(

Maybe we should wait and see what Rian Johnson brings to the equation before assuming that somebody like Villanueve is "too good" for the series.

That said, I want him to do DUNE first and foremost.

N7.Angel

Yes, by all means, let's not recruit one of the best directors in the industry to work on one of the most iconic franchises on the planet. :(

Maybe we should wait and see what Rian Johnson brings to the equation before assuming that somebody like Villanueve is "too good" for the series.

That said, I want him to do DUNE first and foremost.

Star Wars as a series has only two amazing movies ( A New Hope and Empire Strike Back ), the rest of it is trash to mediocre, Star Wars is not a series with much things to do, the universe is very limited and manichean, we don't need to waste Villeneuve on it, especially now that Disney is involved, you can be sure that almost no creativity is required or needed.

SugarDave

I can't wait to see it. I've managed to avoid most information too which is rare these days, only seen the first trailer.

Shame it isn't out this weekend as I'm catching up with an old friend and we both love the original but alas, it was not to be.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
People saying Sylvia Hoeks is the stand out performance.
Nice to see the tradition of Dutch actors being the best performers in Blade Runner continue.

HariKari

That's not what Disney wants on their Star Wars projects. They want safe and compliant. Preferably cheap too.

If he can pull off Dune, he can do whatever project he wants.

TheXbox

Denis is in the prime of his career. I'd rather not inundate his filmography with franchise movies.

That's not what Disney wants on their Star Wars projects. They want safe and compliant. Preferably cheap too.

If he can pull off Dune, he can do whatever project he wants.
Preferably cheap? Are you for real, my guy? JJ Abrams made over $40 million on TFA. I won't even guess how much they paid him to drop everything and kick Episode IX into shape.

Star Wars isn't a budget series. The idea that they're trying to save pennies on the fucking director is beyond the pale. The last two movies made over $3 billion. Come on.

Gotta love the elitism.

That's not the insult you think it is, when discussing the quality of film making. I find it a little disconcerting that gaffers are suggesting that a film maker who has made some amazing standalone films should be shepherded into directing some of the hoariest, most overbaked franchises, such as Star Wars and Bond.

If Blade Runner 2049 is as good as the critics say it is, Villeneuve will be at a career peak, and arguably the most bankable director in Hollywood. Why would he go for ancient properties after this? Why would he be willing to accept the creative restrictions that go along with accepting a studio franchise?

That's not the insult you think it is, when discussing the quality of film making. I find it a little disconcerting that gaffers are suggesting that a film maker who has made some amazing standalone films should be shepherded into directing some of the hoariest, most overbaked franchises, such as Star Wars and Bond.

If Blade Runner 2049 is as good as the critics say it is, Villeneuve will be at a career peak, and arguably the most bankable director in Hollywood. Why would he go for ancient properties after this? Why would he be willing to accept the creative restrictions that go along with accepting a studio franchise?
Nah I agree that he should not direct franchise films right now. Just commenting on the “too good for Star Wars” comments.

Top Bottom