• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

Ushay

Denis Villeneuve! I know it's a team effort, but this guy hasn't been connected to a bad movie yet. Can't wait to see where he's headed next, and I can't wait to see this movie.

I think he's going to do Dune baby, Dune.

Also get that trash 'Forbes Contributor' review out of there. Nothing stops this train.

Lyng

I think he's going to do Dune baby, Dune.

Also get that trash 'Forbes Contributor' review out of there. Nothing stops this train.

Yes he is confirmed for Dune. Which feels like a perfect match.
His sublime attention to detail and ability to deeply immerse viewers in characters is exactly what Dune needs.

Another glowing review, this time from NPR. There's some spoilers in the latter half of the review, I think, but I'll just quote the opening three paragraphs, though I'm spoiler blocking the opening line a bit (it's nothing major, but I'm sure some folks would be upset if they see any sort of spoiler, period).

"
I hope you don't mind me taking a liberty
" are the first words spoken in Blade Runner 2049, an unlikely sequel to the oft-revised Ridley Scott sci-fi sleeper that has confounded and divided normals — and been an object of adoration for nerds — for 35 years.

I certainly don't mind. This inspired, expansive follow-up, for which Blade Runner screenwriter Hampton Fancher returned, though Scott handed the directorial reins to Sicario and Arrival's Denis Villeneuve, is less a generational iteration from its precursor than an evolutionary leap. It chews on the many existential questions introduced in Blade Runner — if our machines can think and feel, are they still machines? How do we know our memories can be trusted? Do androids dream of electric sheep, or unicorns or whatever? — more fully and more satisfyingly than Blade Runner did. Yes, even The Final Cut, which came out some 25 years after the original.

The past few years have spoiled us with good and even great sequels to beloved hits from the late '70s/early '80s — Mad Max: Fury Road, Creed, Star Wars: The Force Awakens — but 2049 is the cream of the genetically engineered crop. It doesn't just remind you of what you loved about Scott's weird but unshakable hybrid of film noir and cyberpunk-before-it-had-a-name, or even require you to have seen it, necessarily. It takes the grubby, thoughtful world-building and hyperkinetic imagery of the 1982 landmark and gives it, at long last, a story to match. 2049 runs 45 minutes longer than its precursor, but feels shorter. It's the best philosophical gumshoe movie since Memento and the best dystopian future flick since Children of Men. It's an astonishing achievement. And like Dunkirk, it's worth the tariff you'll pay to experience it on the largest, sharpest screen you can find.
http://www.npr.org/2017/09/29/554271617/-blade-runner-2049-even-sharper-than-the-original

Whew...

tenor.gif

Surfinn

Another glowing review, this time from NPR. There's some spoilers in the latter half of the review, I think, but I'll just quote the opening three paragraphs, though I'm spoiler blocking the opening line a bit (it's nothing major, but I'm sure some folks would be upset if they see any sort of spoiler, period).

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/29/554271617/-blade-runner-2049-even-sharper-than-the-original

Whew...

tenor.gif

"2049 runs 45 minutes longer than its precursor, but feels shorter."

Dang

So can we get em on EP9 (please)

Blader

Sounds like it's still early days for Dune. I want him to do a damn good Bond movie and give Craig a better note to go out on than Spectre.

I was excited when I saw the director for this, then buoyed by the snippets of the soundtrack which were appropriately moody and otherworldly as it should be. Even just reading the sparsest of comments has me very excited!

Iceman

Still think Blade Runner 2049 is a dumb name.

Which part?

The zero?

The four?

Runner?

What would have been good alternatives? How about: Blade Jogging, Blade Winded, Blade Fun Runner, Blade Runner Runner, Blade Shin Splints, Blade Carb-loading, Blade Fartlek (*an actual running term!), Blade Half-Marathoner, Blade Interval Trainer, Blade Runner PR, Blade Plantar Fascia, Blade RICE, Blade Runner 10K.

Anticol

Banned
I had high hopes since Ridley Scott was not involved with it. Thankfully he was not able to ruin it like Lucas did with Star wars.

This might be the best chance that Roger Deakins gets his Oscar statue. Although Hoyte Van Hoytema cinematography for Dunkirk was amazing this year. Can't wait to see it next week! Need to watch the original again.

This might be the best chance that Roger Deakins gets his Oscar statue. Although Hoyte Van Hoytema cinematography for Dunkirk was amazing this year. Can't wait to see it next week! Need to watch the original again.

I wouldn't even be mad if Hoyte won because he did fantastic work on Dunkirk. But man Deakins is just so long overdue at this point.

Top Bottom