• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

Prompto

Banned
That cleric beast was creepy as hell. And that's only the first boss! This game is going to give me nightmares.

This is probably how the game will look on release.

I'm just going to go with this honestly. This happens so much, and people will say things like "it's an early build, wait till the game is out!" which is honestly reasonable to think, but so many times for me, that has never been the case. Expecting the worst (how it looks now)

That seemed overly negative compared to how I feel about the whole thing though. I'm very satisfied with how it looks now, even if it doesn't look as good as other videos have shown. I'm just very glad this looks better than Dark Souls, but even without comparisons, I think it's a pretty visually appealing game.

This is coming form a person who was pissed off with the Dark Souls 2 situation. I can't even say it looked better than DS tbh

The video did say 'early version of the game' at the beginning so it's possible the final build will have some touch ups. If rumors are true about Dark Souls 2, they improved the game dramatically (fps) in the final months before the game went gold.
You mean DS2 looked worse than the downgraded version?

1a67u94.png

1bnwu16.png

Vire

It's still by far the best looking 'Souls' game to date, so I'm not complaining. Hopefully the framerate holds steady.

In some respects yes, but I don't really remember Dark Souls 1 having this bad of aliasing.

http://assets.ign.com/videos/zencoder/1920/da63268d356566fdd0b48623dd2435da-8000000-1422662286-w.mp4

I'm watching this video and in certain scenes it genuinely looks like PS1 level of anti-aliasing and that's not really an over exaggeration. The opening sequence around the 2:30 minute mark showcases how the game really struggles to render thin metal objects.

It's really disappointing too because the world design is so sumptuous and beautiful.

takriel

yes but he had no weapons. that's what I'm saying here. he couldn't pick up weapons till the refuge.

I don't know if you can really say that you are "meant" to die there, because by now a lot of people have played the Souls games and a good chunk of them should be able to evade this creature without fighting it. It just seems like that to me. There's this one wolf in the room and nothing else. You should be able to do it. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Kssio_Aug

The game is technically not the most impressive stuff this gen. But are games like that wich reminds me that any game can be very impressive with a good art direction!

Vire

Triggered transitions. Also, enemy behavior changes depending on night or day according to Miyazaki.

Yes, there are. They're just not 'real time'.

How does it work exactly? When does it transition from day to night?

If you have an article on it, I'd love to read it. Thanks.

takriel

The game is technically not the most impressive stuff this gen. But are games like that wich reminds me that any game can be very impressive with a good art direction!

Yes indeed. I'll take good gameplay and art style over graphics every day. Just a shame that it's not 60 fps :p

Mutombo

When those humanoids die they say: "you cursed beast." (I might remember wrong)

Do they say that to me, the player? Am I a beast to hunt beasts? Will I be able to shape shift? Or is 'beast mode' similar to being hollow?

It may be trivial but the footstep sounds really grate. I would wish for an option to lower the sound effect volume for footsteps or change it. Also the aliasing looks really bad.

MilkBeard

True. The environments, effects and enemies looks very, very good despite some technical issues. They make up for anything else imo. The game does really well to create a good atmosphere and that's what matters most.

Dio

Banned

http://www.popcultureonline.net/interview-with-bloodborne-producer-masaaki-yamagiwa/

POPCulture Online: Will there be a day/night cycle in the game or will the game be set in the dark depressing night as seen in the demo?

Masaaki Yamagiwa: There would not be a real time day/night cycle in the game however there would be levels that would be set in both night and day. Enemy behavior would also change with the time of day.

[dualshockers link]/2014/06/19/ps4-exclusive-bloodborne-gets-more-story-information-bizarre-secrets-teased-new-famitsu-scans-inside/

Every night in Yharnam an event known as the “Beast Hunt” happens, where the town’s streets are full of the smell of Beasts, blood and most of all death.

I assume this is what the 'behavior change' is centered around.

takriel

When those humanoids die they say: "you cursed beast." (I might remember wrong)

Do they say that to me, the player? Am I a beast to hunt beasts? Will I be able to shape shift? Or is 'beast mode' similar to being hollow?

At this point, these enemies will prey on everyone, even humans. They cannot longer distinguish between humans and beasts. They even might be beasts themselves without knowing it.

Pretty sure the only thing the devs have said is that it's going to be like Dark Souls where the time of day depends on the area. For example Darkroot Forest is always nighttime and Undead Burg is always daytime.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...alks-frame-rate-messengers-and-more/#/slide/1

Another interviewer asked if a day and night cycle would be implemented in Bloodborne, as fans noticed that in some parts of the game's recent trailer, the sky was brightly-lit. The producer stated that there is indeed a variation of time in the game but adds that "It's not like it happens in real-time when you play, the sun goes down or something like that. It doesn't happen. But yes, when you play through the story, there are variations of the weather and the time.

SillyJoe

I'm debating whether or not I should watch this. I really don't want to spoil my experience if I do ever get the chance to play the game.

I think it looks fantastic.

Fantastic visuals, amazing art style, incredible atmosphere that's literally oozing out of the screen. I can't wait to play it.

pager99

Holy shit Does BB have time of day cycle because the alpha was clearly darker at night time than the time shown here in same place yarnham.??

Looks fantastic, and glad that the stats are simplified. Feel like I may have ruined my Dark Souls run due to how stats are in that game.

Mandelbo

I don't know if you can really say that you are "meant" to die there, because by now a lot of people have played the Souls games and a good chunk of them should be able to evade this creature without fighting it. It just seems like that to me. There's this one wolf in the room and nothing else. You should be able to do it. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I'm guessing that you're not meant to fight the wolf there but rather take the path to the right, which was ignored by the player in the video. You're defenseless at this point, so it wouldn't make sense if you're actually supposed to just walk up to the wolf and wait for it to kill you. I suspect that later on there's a boss enemy that'll kill you like in DeS, or you get an opportunity to visit the dream before getting off the operating table in the first room. The latter would probably make more sense since the messengers visit the player in the opening cutscene, after which the player just gets up. It seems like there's something missing in between the two sections.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The video did say 'early version of the game' at the beginning so it's possible the final build will have some touch ups. If rumors are true about Dark Souls 2, they improved the game dramatically (fps) in the final months before the game went gold.

It does seem like this is what we are going to get with Bloodborne, though. I do hope they improve the framerate a bit.

Removing lighting tends to help with that.

Haunted

I only watched it because a friend of mine said it looked pretty bad (well, very similar to Dark Souls 2, which would be bad seeing how there should be significant gap between a last gen and a current gen game).

While I wouldn't go so far, it definitely seems less impressive compared to the previous footage we've seen. Rough aliasing, tons of flickering and I'm seeing quite a few reused animations from DS2...

Hm.

Giever

I'm buying a PS4 for this game, and I never had a PS3, so I would really love it if FROM eventually remasters Demon's Souls for the PS4.

Ellite25

Looks fucking amazing. Day 0.

Can you preload this? I might just go digital since I'll be playing the hell out of it and it'll unlock at 9 pm.

Primeau31

you're intentionally missing my point. died there to show the refuge/pick up weapons/make this video different from just the same area from the alpha that everyone's seen.

MilkBeard

I only watched it because a friend of mine said it looked pretty bad (well, very similar to Dark Souls 2, which would be bad seeing how there should be significant gap between a last gen and a current gen game).

While I wouldn't go so far, it definitely seems less impressive compared to the previous footage we've seen. Rough aliasing, tons of flickering and I'm seeing quite a few reused animations from DS2...

Hm.

Despite the technical issues here and there, the game looks dramatically better than DS2 in my opinion. The lighting, environment detail and certain animations look like a step up. The enemy models also looks a lot better. The game does seem to share some similar effects and texture style with DS2, which is why in a previous post I wondered if Bloodborne was using an evolution of the DS2 engine.

dk_

Damn hype -2.

The image quality is atrocious. No AA, framerate dips and low draw distance. I hope it's because of the early build, but it's FROM after all.

Nah don't think so. You could totally evade its attacks.

Yeah that's true. I guess he didn't want to show us too much of the game and died there on purpose.

Yeah, and punch it with your bare hands. He didn't even have his gear yet. Of course that's supposed to happen.

And I'm sure that while I'm playing the game, there will be parts where I say "Just a shame it's not 30 fps".
Eww, really? Haha

Frame rate slowdown is like the one thing that I can actually recognize when playing games, outside f the difference between SD and HD.

The 2nd part of the "Dwarf"/Mountain area of Demon's Souls strikes me as somewhat similar in that regards, especially the "drop-down" part. Also, maybe the 2nd part of the 4th tablet in DeS?

You could always backtrack in those areas in most parts. But I remember there being more than a couple of locations in which you couldn't backtrack until you reached a bonfire. I don't mean to imply those areas are the largest problem of the game, I don't think the game has a single glaring flaw, but instead a growing collection of them (that depends on your level of familiarity with the series, and personal preference).

For me the biggest problem the game has is the lack of coherency of the world. There were some parts of it that I really appreciated and found immensely enjoyable, but there's also a significant amount of content that I found a bit too linear and repetitive. I wish the entire game had as much care put into it as the DLC got in which every area felt unique and presented us with unique enemies and challenges.

Compared to Dark Souls, DS2 just doesn't have as memorable moments and locations and the way monsters behave and track your movements, together with how they implemented some of the PVP areas/covenants left me feeling as if the game was sometimes "cheap" or poorly designed. Almost every single aspect of Dark Souls 2 feels a little bit worse, a little bit less memorable or thought out than Dark Souls and I have a hard time thinking of anything that it does better. The way players can set whichever difficulty they prefer is in some ways an improvement, but I thought that limited number of spawns between areas and the way some weapons/armors only dropped once per playthrough/bonfire-aesthetic made that feature worse, because at some point it seems forceful if you are a completionist.

It's not because of a "number" of things, it's not the number of linear areas, it's not the number of weapons and armors, it's not the number of humanoid bosses, it's not the number of PVP areas or ways to engage in PVP. It's not a problem of quantity, it's a problem of quality.

Damn hype -2.

The image quality is atrocious. No AA, framerate dips and low draw distance. I hope it's because of the early build, but it's FROM after all.

That's a contradiction.

How can your hype drop because of IQ and then say meh it is FROM after all. So you expect bad IQ but your hype drops due to it anyway?

steven28

Surely they can clean the image up and get rid of the jaggies,they look worse than dark souls and dark souls 2,also i prefered the city at night,it was way more atmsopheric.

People talking about jaggies...

If you're watching the 1080p video on a display that doesn't support that resolution it WILL look jaggy - or at least overly sharp.

The graphics look amazing and I love the outfit so much.

Damn hype -2.

Could you show me an example of low draw distance? Seems the same as the Souls games to me... incredibly far.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Damn hype -2.

You just want to be avatar quoted, don't you?

Aikidoka

People keep saying that it looks worse than the previous demos, that's because the previous demos were at night. It is much much easier to make things look fantastic and atmospheric in the dark. Though, compared to seeing this section being played through at night, I do feel like this footage is a little lackluster.

As for the missing giant hand spider monster thing, one of the NPCs said something along the lines of "be prepared for what tonight especially brings" (yeah, i'm butchering the line). But, that implies that certain monsters and terrors will only become active at night, which to me, sounds incredibly exciting.

I will say that the way his IGN dude played was annoying as fuck. He did zero exploring or examining the environments and cut of npcs as they were speaking, which made Bloodborne look like just some typical action game. Though I am greatful, in part, as I will be able to do this myself.

Top Bottom