• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I was hoping FROM would step up and provide nice graphics with the new consoles. But that doesn't happen. They also showed footage that looked better than this.
This build doesn't have the greatest graphics ever but they're certainly not bad by any stretch of the word. Also lighting heavily affects the way an area looks in a game.
12312geup9.png

Is it really so wrong to expect a Sony backed next gen exclusive to actually look next gen?

The aliasing may be bad but the game looks plenty next-gen.

Also, judging how easy the game is from someone competent playing the game is probably not a good idea.

cerulily

It's not expected to downgrade, it's expected to not look great in the first place. 3/3 games haven't exactly been the best of the generation in terms of raw technical power.

that really doesn't say much about the aesthetic qualities, in my opinion. I love the lived in density of what i am seeing in bloodborne. Stacks of old books, a hall of medical cots in the dark of a dim laboratory

It may not be the most technically impressive, but it's aesthetically on point. But this is all a question of art vs technical aspects.

Crysis may be technically astounding, but it's downright bland and boring due to bad art.

Is this set in the same universe as Demon Souls?

No, but the dev team have regular characters/voice actors/mechanics they used in DE and Dark souls, like Patches (and npc who hates priests),Crestfallen Warrior (NPC), Sorcery Spells (In all games) and used the same VA for the same NPC in DS1 and DS2.

Still it needs a real confirmation anyway.

Jinroh

Are we sure it runs at 1080p? There's so much aliasing that it seems to run at 720p. Very disappointed by what I'm seeing, especially when it's clearly not 60 fps.

Wagram

Is it really so wrong to expect a Sony backed next gen exclusive to actually look next gen?

Considering FROM has never been a company that excels in technical aspects or image quality. I would say yeah it was wrong to expect anything of the sort.

orochi91

Or rather: Define for me what constitutes "looking next gen".

Jaggies looking really last-gen in that video :p

But this is an old build, as other have implied earlier.

The final game will likely look much better, AA-wise.

If not, then we're in for a hell of a DF analysis thread lol

Alo0oy

Banned

So Sony Santa Monica should just halt development of their game(s) to go help From Software make their game? From's talent comes from incredible world design & deep gameplay mechanics, not every Studio is as talented in tech as Guerilla Games or Santa Monica Studios.

Sony Japan is assisting in development as well, last gen Demon's Souls had a higher resolution & higher framerate than its successors, so Bloodborne would likely have been even worse without SCEJ's assistance.

Barakov

Gold Member
Watched the whole thing. No regrets. Really love the atmosphere on display here. Also the combat on a whole seems quite a bit faster that it was in the other souls games. On the whole, I'm impressed by what I saw. I can't wait to see what the game throws at me.

AA can easily be added in the end, it's not something that needs to be worked into the game in early stages.

EDIT: Those awesome hitboxes got me the most excited... none of that DS2 shit.

Aikidoka

http://www.popcultureonline.net/interview-with-bloodborne-producer-masaaki-yamagiwa/

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...amagiwa-talks-frame-rate-messengers-and-more/

I think they just decided to change the aesthetic of the first area to sunset rather than night. Not exactly uncommon practice to change something like that before release. I like the idea of starting off at sunset much more than night personally.

Thanks for the links. This may be a little disappointing that it's only controlled by the story events - the nighttime seems to be where the game shines so far and having it inaccessible could be a bad idea. Have to wait and see how it's actually implemented.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Looks fucking great.

I like the kill what killed you in order to get your shit back mechanic. This is gonna suck if you die to a boss twice in a row though. No pressure....

vpance

Are we sure it runs at 1080p? There's so much aliasing that it seems to run at 720p. Very disappointed by what I'm seeing, especially when it's clearly not 60 fps.

It looks like they are still using a very low quality FXAA setting. Previous vids might have shown better IQ, can't remember, but I guess we are stuck with this for release :|

anthym

Neo Member
I've never played a souls game and still don't know much at all about bloodborne. After watching that video, I'm definitely going to buy it! Looks like it's difficult with no hand holding...love it.

The stages are so small, tiny rooms, narrow corridors and bridges...I'd really like From's next game to be more open, this is just way too small.
I don't see too much of a downgrade, but the sound effect could be better.

Number45

Watched up to the point that he died, then realised I don't want to see any more. Going into this almost completely blind.

N30RYU

Gold Member
Spanish IGN said that the game will be fully localized in spanish, text and voice.... Any info about other localizations or is spanish IGN smoking something?

Orayn

They've been coy about it, flat-out said no, hired the MiB voice actor, had a boss say
umbasa
, the guy who greets you
has his eyes occluded by...cloth
, and the DeS good guy ending removes the knowledge of magic from the world and in Bloodborne magic is a rare taboo.

So.
MSLnC8L.jpg

They got Evetta Muradasilova back? That's awesome! I'd been trying to figure out if she'd done VA for any other games since Demon's Souls and the only other place I could find her name in the credits was some BBC radio drama from a few years ago. Maybe she's one of those VAs who does work under several different aliases, that's not uncommon.

orochi91

For fuck's sake.

Come on now, Sony AAA WWS games tend to be at least technically impressive.

It shouldn't be too much to expect From to step up and polish their shit up on a PS4 exclusive.

The issues in this video stand out even more so than usual, due to all the excellent Order 1886 footage released lately.

Eccocid

yaaaaay couldn't stop myself from watching it.
Looks ok i think. I loved the atmosphere.
2 things annoyed me. That targeting glow. It is distracting. And enemies do talk? They yell some stuff? I am so used to mute or groaning enemies from DS and DeS, it feels kinda weird.

Oh and boss fight with terrible camera! lol i love FROM!

I was just thinking how amazing may be to play this game with a nice headset such as Pulse Elite! That boss!!

I have pulse. You'd be surprised at the amount of auxillary sounds you hear on a headset compared to a standard flatscreen TV. In short, it's life-changing.

It shouldn't be too much to expect From to step up and polish their shit up on a PS4 exclusive.

The issues in this video stand out even more so than usual, due to all the excellent Order 1886 footage released lately.

This.

The Order shits all over Bloodborne (the IGN preview build) graphics wise. It's ok to have unusually high standards for Sony first party.

Edit: Or Sony backed PS4 exclusive for that matter.

Orayn

Well, it's probably more a case of Sony supplementing From Software's workforce while still using their engine and following their priorities. It's not like ICE Team is handling things.

I look forward to the endless deaths! lol

The thing that put me off from old Souls games was the slow game play, this seems so much more up my alley. Can't wait.

Souls games aren't as much "slow" as they are methodic. If you wear light armor, or armor that allows you still dodge without encumbrance, the combat can be quite fast paced. Not as much as Bloodborne, but certainly not something that I'd consider slow either.

Top Bottom