• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

Yeah, that's probably what it was. I don't remember what those people who played the previous build said about what was removed/changed other than that the framerate was dramatically improved.

The only difference I see is that it's not at night, so there's less need for reflections. Everything still looks great compared to what I played in the alpha. The framerate in the alpha was straight garbage, so seeing that this runs at a pretty steady 30 makes me really happy.

dk_

That's a contradiction.

How can your hype drop because of IQ and then say meh it is FROM after all. So you expect bad IQ but your hype drops due to it anyway?

I was hoping FROM would step up and provide nice graphics with the new consoles. But that doesn't happen. They also showed footage that looked better than this.

Pejo

bloodbiio3.png

I'm still on blackout for this game, can't wait to experience it fresh. Though looking at this screen cap, I do see an "Arcane" stat. Color me hyped that there just *might* be some magic!

Rurunaki

So judging by the trailer
You (the player) was about to succumb to the "blood disease" as represented by the blood werewolf, but the ghost fetuses (messengers) saved you and made you a hunter.
Is what I'm guessing.

I was hoping FROM would step up and provide nice graphics with the new consoles. But that doesn't happen. They also showed footage that looked better than this.

Can you please link footage that looked better than this, that was also during the day time/dusk?

Gbraga

People keep saying that it looks worse than the previous demos, that's because the previous demos were at night. It is much much easier to make things look fantastic and atmospheric in the dark. Though, compared to seeing this section being played through at night, I do feel like this footage is a little lackluster.

As for the missing giant hand spider monster thing, one of the NPCs said something along the lines of "be prepared for what tonight especially brings" (yeah, i'm butchering the line). But, that implies that certain monsters and terrors will only become active at night, which to me, sounds incredibly exciting.

I will say that the way his IGN dude played was annoying as fuck. He did zero exploring or examining the environments and cut of npcs as they were speaking, which made Bloodborne look like just some typical action game. Though I am greatful, in part, as I will be able to do this myself.

I love their games as much as everyone else, Dark Souls is my GOTG, but as far as graphics and downgrades go, they don't really deserve the benefit of the doubt.

People do realise it is from an early build? It states so right at the start of the vid, So talking about graphics, AA etc is pretty pointless.

hawk2025

Reading this thread before actually watching the video was an interesting experience.

I expected crap IQ and awful graphics by the time I was done reading.

...This is fucking marvelous, though. Framerate appears much improved over the Alpha, too, although that may be the different time of day at work.

Gameplay looks great, but the graphics didn't seem as good as they looked in other footage. None of the Souls games are technical marvels though, and the art style more than makes up for the lack of graphical bells and whistles, so I'm no less excited.

The level design really pleases me. Its a return to the elaborate Dark Souls/Demon's Souls design, which I really missed in DS2. It makes the locations much more 'real' to me.

The camera during the Cleric Beast fight looks infuriating. Approaching it without the lock-on seems to be the solution.

hawk2025

Not a dynamic one, no, just like Dark Souls, Darkroot is dark, Valley of Drakes is bright.

Nope, not correct.

The initial area in this video is the same as the Alpha's, but in a completely different time of day.

It's said not to be dynamic, though.

I love their games as much as everyone else, Dark Souls is my GOTG, but as far as graphics and downgrades go, they don't really deserve the benefit of the doubt.

It happened with DS2 only (as far as I know). On top of that, Japan Studio is involved here too.

Plus, the footage doesn't look downgraded at all. Just look at Dream Refuge. I think they can have the benefit of the doubt here.

Edit: Day/Night is probably tied to story progression or in-game events. E.g. Dark Souls Anor Londo goes dark after killing Gwyndolin.

Alo0oy

Banned
Has it ever been discussed about what engine FromSoftware are using for this game? I see similarities between Bloodborne, graphically, and Dark Souls 2 in terms of effects and texture style. That is to say, Bloodborne looks like it is using a further evolution of the Dark Souls 2 engine on a stronger, more capable system that can handle it, thus the greater detail and quality. That is just a guess, though, based on me watching these videos.

Bloodborne is probably using Sony's PhyreEngine like previous Souls games.

VinFTW

It happened with DS2 only (as far as I know). On top of that, Japan Studio is involved here too.

Plus, the footage doesn't look downgraded at all. Just look at Dream Refuge. I think they can have the benefit of the doubt here.

Edit: Day/Night is probably tied to story progression or in-game events. E.g. Dark Souls Anor Londo goes dark after killing Gwyndolin.

is someone really arguing that from has a good track record with downgrades/framerate

Orayn

Nope, not correct.

The initial area in this video is the same as the Alpha's, but in a completely different time of day.

It's said not to be dynamic, though.

It's also possible that some areas might change without it being a fully dynamic thing, like
Dark Anor Londo
in Dark Souls 1.

Dat camera during the cleric beast...
It seems the big monster has multiple lock points

Most large or non-humanoid bosses in the Souls series do.

hawk2025

It's also possible that some areas might change without it being a fully dynamic thing, like
Dark Anor Londo
in Dark Souls 1.

Right, I think that's the case.

Although (Alpha spoilers, I guess)

The enemy placement is *extremely* similar to the Alpha's, IIRC

Haunted

Despite the technical issues here and there, the game looks dramatically better than DS2 in my opinion. The lighting, environment detail and certain animations look like a step up. The enemy models also looks a lot better. The game does seem to share some similar effects and texture style with DS2, which is why in a previous post I wondered if Bloodborne was using an evolution of the DS2 engine.
Man, I'd fucking hope so it's at least that and more! DS2 is a last generation multiplat that is a mixed bag graphically developed by many younger and less experienced staffers, while this has been designed from the ground up as a current generation exclusive by the original Dark Souls team!

In a way, I'm happy this video came out because I feel like it shows off the game in a more natural way compared to the footage we've seen. While it is disappointing that it seems to look a bit worse than the footage we've seen so far (whether that's because of the lighting difference due to a different time of day, or because the previous footage was taken off-screen, or simply really carefully selected, I don't really know), at least the moment of disappointment is today, and not when I'm first playing it.

Anyway, these are just my honest thoughts upon seeing the graphics and technical side of the game in the video. I love Dark Souls dearly and DS2 was my GOTY last year - so in the other aspects I trust in From to deliver another quality game in the Souls series.

Reading this thread before actually watching the video was an interesting experience.

I expected crap IQ and awful graphics by the time I was done reading.

...This is fucking marvelous, though. Framerate appears much improved over the Alpha, too, although that may be the different time of day at work.

As per usual really lol.

I expected the same so watching now on my TV. Art direction and graphics overall are phenomenal. Beautiful.

The AA does look untouched at this time but doesn't take away from the fact that this game overall looks fantastic. Everything has definition, even the bricks coming out of a building. The animations and character movements are fantastic.

Oh man this video is a damn good. THIS GAME WILL BE INCREDIBLE

This fucker keeps running past fights in this video though. Annoying

Alo0oy

Banned
Speaking of world design, I hope Bloodborne is a mix of the two. Dark Souls was better in a macro level while Demon's Souls was better in a micro level, so if Bloodborne has the world design of DaS & level design of DeS it would be the perfect Souls game.

I'm glad the hub makes a return, while some of you don't want it for some reason, it was one of the best parts of DeS, it made you feel safe, which made the actual levels far more scary, you need to experience the lows so you can feel the highs (or vice-versa, depending on how you look at it), it's kinda hard to explain, I sometimes spend 20-30 minutes in the Nexus just taking a breather after a boss bottle, that was also why the save rooms in the original RE trilogy were so effective.

tcrunch

Is this set in the same universe as Demon Souls?

They've been coy about it, flat-out said no, hired the MiB voice actor, had a boss say
umbasa
, the guy who greets you
has his eyes occluded by...cloth
, and the DeS good guy ending removes the knowledge of magic from the world and in Bloodborne magic is a rare taboo.

So.
MSLnC8L.jpg

Aikidoka

Is there an interview stating that the day/night cycle is not dynamic? People seem completely certain of this, though all footage seems to be utterly contrary to this notion.

Moreover, based on the Alpha, I really doubt that the day/night changes based on story events. This is because in the alpha, you play through the same exact level and end on the same exact boss (i.e., the Cleric Beast). In the Souls games you do not fight the same boss multiple times in the same area. thus, since this is the first area in the game, you wouldn't be able to figt its boss at night if making it night required further story progression itself.

Well, fuck. I caved and watched it. And I think I still have chills from that music in that last part. This game is all I need.

cerulily

I don't understand the downgrade comments. This game looks exactly as stunning as it did before. It must be trolling.

Also, 1/3 games were downgraded, and that game was missing much of the core development team. I don't understand the argument that it's "expected" to downgrade.

They've been coy about it, flat-out said no, hired the MiB voice actor, had a boss say
umbasa
, the guy who greets you
has his eyes occluded by...cloth
, and the DeS good guy ending removes the knowledge of magic from the world and in Bloodborne magic is a rare taboo.

So.
MSLnC8L.jpg

I think this would be very interesting. Even if the story isn't explicitly linked. The idea that demon's and magic has progressed to ethics-less medical science and beasts is interesting. Like a magic devoid view of the same crisis.

I don't understand the downgrade comments. This game looks exactly as stunning as it did before. It must be trolling.

Also, 1/3 games were downgraded, and that game was missing much of the core development team. I don't understand the argument that it's "expected" to downgrade.
It's not expected to downgrade, it's expected to not look great in the first place. 3/3 games haven't exactly been the best of the generation in terms of raw technical power.

Finalow

I really hope that we get to see how online works, in details. especially the pvp on which we have no information.

Is there an interview stating that the day/night cycle is not dynamic? People seem completely certain of this, though all footage seems to be utterly contrary to this notion.

Moreover, based on the Alpha, I really doubt that the day/night changes based on story events. This is because in the alpha, you play through the same exact level and end on the same exact boss (i.e., the Cleric Beast). In the Souls games you do not fight the same boss multiple times in the same area. thus, since this is the first area in the game, you wouldn't be able to figt its boss at night if making it night required further story progression itself.

http://www.popcultureonline.net/interview-with-bloodborne-producer-masaaki-yamagiwa/

Masaaki Yamagiwa: There would not be a real time day/night cycle in the game however there would be levels that would be set in both night and day. Enemy behavior would also change with the time of day.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...amagiwa-talks-frame-rate-messengers-and-more/

Another interviewer asked if a day and night cycle would be implemented in Bloodborne, as fans noticed that in some parts of the game's recent trailer, the sky was brightly-lit. The producer stated that there is indeed a variation of time in the game but adds that “it’s not like it happens in real-time when you play, the sun goes down or something like that. It doesn't happen. But yes, when you play through the story, there are variations of the weather and the time.

I think they just decided to change the aesthetic of the first area to sunset rather than night. Not exactly uncommon practice to change something like that before release. I like the idea of starting off at sunset much more than night personally.

bj00rn_

Banned
Gameplay aside, that shimmering is pretty damn bad. This must be some of the worst image quality yet seen in a PS4 game. How the hell did this happen, I thought Sony was working with From to ensure the technical side was sound.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Derpyduck said:
So there's hope for the aliasing.
The aliasing looks typical for Jpn developed game(quite possibly not for tech reasons) - though art-direction serves to make it more noticeable.

Poetic.Injustice said:
It's just time to accept that FROM software will never compete technically with AAA titles in the graphics department.
I'd leave "technically" separate from "AAA" - plenty of the later last gen was atrocious technically. Demon's Souls was competitive on PS3 when it came out.

Top Bottom