• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: PVP Details, New Screenshots, HDD Size

takriel

I have spent hundreds of hours on Dark Souls series. I wanted this iteration to diverge from the tried and true formula as a new ip. From what i've seen you could've told me this was Dark Souls or Dark Souls DLC and I would've believed you. You can only play the same hack and slash model for so long.

You'll be glad to hear, then, that Bloodborne deviates quite a bit from its predecessors in terms of gameplay. You will die a lot in the beginning, because you'll need to get accustomed to its new gameplay style.

Marvel

could never
43gkTlN.gif

Sounds great.

If I'm honest, I thought the passive online features (i.e. the messaging system) would have worked at least without PS+. I'll be on PS+ anyway, but just what I thought as Sony seemed a bit more lenient with PS+ from the start (F2P, MMO's, etc not requiring PS+). And I'm not even talking about co-op/PVP.

Destiny works in a similar way, you can see other people as you play without needing PS+.

As far as I understand it, the messages will be available to everyone, ps+ or not, but I don't know that for sure.

RE: phantom colors

In the Alpha, I did co-op and my co-op partner just looked like another normal human he/she was not white/blue/red. Don't know if it will be that way final game.

I hear some rumblings that in the co-op demo they dressed up once of the players in white for ease of vision.

I have spent hundreds of hours on Dark Souls series. I wanted this iteration to diverge from the tried and true formula as a new ip. From what i've seen you could've told me this was Dark Souls or Dark Souls DLC and I would've believed you. You can only play the same hack and slash model for so long.

Have you played it? The battle system is very different. Charged attacks, change weapon sets mid combo and mid roll allowing for diverse combos, overall faster pace to attacks and dodges, use of guns, backstabs are no longer easy to pull off.....I mean its still the Souls battle system we all love but there's enough notable changes to make it feel new.

PvP scene will be very different.

From various GAF:
xoidFVp.jpg

1) The Japanese Bloodborne site was updated today with a lot of new online play details.

Translated details per a banned site:
  • Co-op is still the same as in the network alpha, hosts use a Lulling Bell to request help and the game automatically matches them to a helper who has used the Small Resonant Bell (there are no summon signs in Bloodborne)
  • Co-op ends when a boss is defeated or the host or guests die, or the host uses Parting Shot on a guest
  • Players can create a "Watchword" of 8 characters that will allow them to co-op with only people who have the same Watchword. This does not work for PVP.
  • You can invade other people by using an Ominous Ringing Bell, the goal of invasion is to defeat the host.
  • [Note: mistranslation here - invaders can use Parting Shot to end an invasion, host cannot use Parting Shot on them], and invasions will also end if the invader dies or the host enters a boss area.
  • Some areas will have a Bell Maiden already present, and she lures invaders to your world.
  • The Bell Maiden may also appear when you request/begin co-op.
  • In the Chalice Dungeon you may see "illusions" of other players in the same part of the dungeon (this is different from the network test alpha where you could see illusions anywhere, this point implies they will only exist in CD- then again, a screenshot below shows an illusion in Central Yharnam, so the language might be unnecessarily restrictive).
  • You can click someone's Messenger tombstone to see how they died anywhere in the game.
    [*]You can click someone's Messenger notes to tongue but hole
  • There are 2 types of Chalice Dungeon: normal and generated.
  • You can only generate a dungeon online, but you can play either type online or offline.
  • You can share generated dungeons online.
  • PS+ is required for pvp/co-op, asynchronous features (notes/tombstones/illusions), and sharing your Chalice Dungeon configuration. You can download patches and other people's Chalice Dungeon configurations without PS+.
  • There will be a Day One patch (improve performance/online gameplay usability).
2) According to a redditor's photo of the Bloodborne display case, the minimum HDD size is 41GB.

3) A so far untranslated JP PSN blog post about some of Bloodborne's areas, may not have anything new vs. the blurbs on the JP Bloodborne site but there is some Q&A.

4) Screenshots
o4V8INH.jpg

SohrscF.jpg

IFdjO9C.jpg

1uXIUjW.jpg

iV2WyKb.png

lEdoKla.jpg

I went to the site and read the explanation. Basically, the "Leave vague messages behind for other people to see" system is back. In fact, you can leave hints and gestures in these notes for other people to see.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I WILL TONGUE BUT HOLE IN LESS THAN 17 DAYS

Rush_Khan

Wait, so these Bell Maidens lure invaders to your world? Will you be able to kill these Maidens to prevent this?

So excited for this game. Everything I hear about this game sounds so awesome, but I don't want to overhype it so I suspect it won't be as great as Dark Souls but better than than Demon's Souls and Dark Souls II.

LProtag

My PS+ just lapsed.

Going to have to resubscribe.

I wonder what the weapon selection in this game is going to be like. Even these new screenshots seem to have the same few weapons in them.

Hoo-doo

Banned
But.. all dem free games

Ps+ pays for itself

Seriously. I got PS+ when I got my PS4 and i've been building up such a glorious list of amazing games it feels like i'm gaming the system or something. My PS3 gets games, my PS4 gets games, there's always something fresh to play. If this service stays like it is right now, i'm a subscriber for life.

Played the first case of Sherlock Holmes last night. It was awesome. Wouldn't have even touched the box were it in the store.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You still keep your promise, right?
Remember to read Review thread ;)
i will drink my own piss and make sure to post pics as proof through pm to whomever wants to see that, yes

bloodborne won't disappoint though

Yoshichan

But we need some sort of metric, with which to define a disppointment by.

Purely so this promise does not go unfulfilled.
Dark Souls 1 was GotF-material but ended up sucking ass 50>%. That's a disappointment.
Dark Souls 2 was solid throughout the entire game. That's not a disappointment.

Trust me, the word will spread what I truly think of this game once it's been released. I won't be able to contain myself, just like the previous three Souls-launches. If Bloodborne is anything other than "Holy fucking shit this is on par with (or just slightly worse than) Demon's Souls", than I will drink.

Spot

Dark Souls 1 was GotF-material but ended up sucking ass 50>%. That's a disappointment.

Trust me, the word will spread what I truly think of this game once it's been released. I won't be able to contain myself, just like the previous three Souls-launches. If Bloodborne is anything other than "Holy fucking shit this is on par with (or just slightly worse than) Demon's Souls", than I will drink.

Your hype for this game is just increasing my excitement!

Drewfonse

Seriously. I got PS+ when I got my PS4 and i've been building up such a glorious list of amazing games it feels like i'm gaming the system or something. My PS3 gets games, my PS4 gets games, there's always something fresh to play. If this service stays like it is right now, i'm a subscriber for life.

Played the first case of Sherlock Holmes last night. It was awesome. Wouldn't have even touched the box were it in the store.

Is Sherlock Holmes available on PS4?

Yeah, that's solid enough for me.

Ricky_R

Souls' games never appealed to me, but Bloodborne interests for me for some reason.

For fans of the series, will this game be any diffent than the others? Can't really say why I feel different with this game.

Maybe it's because it seems to be a bit more fast paced. Is it?

njean777

Bro I am excited, but don't drink your own piss please for an online message board bet.

Souls' games never appealed to me, but Bloodborne interests for me for some reason.

For fans of the series, will this game be any diffent than the others? Can't really say why I feel different with this game.

Well technically its not a souls game, but technically it is. So yes!

So, I heard there will be an Event for Bloodborne in 5 days in japan. I guess they'll announce that Bloodborne has gone gold.

I like the "..has gone gold..."-threads, it's like a Pre-OT.

convo

The thing people could get disappointed by is the lower number of weapons over all, but they should understand that the transforming weapons open up to new combo potential and weapons you'd use through out the whole game. Instead of a lot of useless weapons it is condensed to fewer more unique weapons. It really looks to me that they got the monster hunter style transforming weapons into a much faster game play environment.

tcrunch

I think people were talking more about this, which I found from reddit:

That is from the same thread I linked, it's a picture someone made of the rumors. Nothing in it has been hinted at in the promotional material so far except that there is a snake, and several of its points (no consumable health items, summon via friendslist, alpha will have pvp) are completely wrong. I don't mean to shoot down hopes and dreams, I'm just saying it is a completely unsourced set of rumors.

Is it too late to preorder? :/

I preordered the last pokemon game the night before it came out.

Spineker

Banned

As someone who wasn't in to Dark Souls when I first played it but am now once I gave it a second chance, I think the faster pace of Bloodborne will be the crucial factor in differentiating itself from the Souls games.

41 gigs is rather large. Has there been any word on when preload begins?

K Gaf I think I'm going to take the plunge on this game because my fiancee wants to get me something for my birthday on the 16th. I did not decide to get The Order 1886 despite the game drought and that was a good decision but I also did not get Dragon Ball Xenoverse and I kind of want to play it to create my own black saiyan (though 60 dollars seems too high for these types of games to be honest).

Is there any special pre-order bonuses I should be aware about that are distributor specific?

Hoping for a great game and a good community, does anyone know if souls games are very popular on GAF or will the community die out fast if there are not constant posts?

tcrunch

Is there any special pre-order bonuses I should be aware about that are distributor specific?

The only important one is that if you preorder from Gamestop (US) you get two dumb Messenger skins instead of one. All US preorders seem to get Top Hat, Gamestop also has an exclusive (Bandages).

Fedora is only available through amazon.de or Electronics Boutique outside US. On the other hand, you need to get Nightmare edition outside the US to get Top Hat.

I swear these companies pretend we don't have access to the internet and can't see what other countries are getting.

K Gaf I think I'm going to take the plunge on this game because my fiancee wants to get me something for my birthday on the 16th. I did not decide to get The Order 1886 despite the game drought and that was a good decision but I also did not get Dragon Ball Xenoverse and I kind of want to play it to create my own black saiyan (though 60 dollars seems too high for these types of games to be honest).

Hoping for a great game and a good community, does anyone know if souls games are very popular on GAF or will the community die out fast if there are not constant posts?

Souls games are petty popular on Gaf. The only Pre order bonuses are Messenger skins. No in game content.

Kama_1082

Banned
this will be my first souls game and I'm excited to give it a go. I've heard that in previous Souls game that there is no pause feature..is this still the case with Bloodborne? Also, is there a way to just play by myself with no fear of getting invaded by randoms?

this will be my first souls game and I'm excited to give it a go. I've heard that in previous Souls game that there is no pause feature..is this still the case with Bloodborne? Also, is there a way to just play by myself with no fear of getting invaded by randoms?

No pausing and You will be able to set the game to offline since that was a feature in Dark Souls 2

tcrunch

There is no pause in Bloodborne either. You can go offline to avoid invasion, or possibly (estimating from this new info we got) kill the Bell Maiden to either lessen or eliminate the chance of invasion if you are online, at least until you try to co-op again.
e: beaten

convo

I suppose if you wait long enough until the resume feature is available for PS4, you could have a pause for people not comfortable with that but missing out is on you.

Seth

Ive not kept up with this game too much, but it does seem interesting. Is it going to be as difficult as Dark souls? Will the gameplay have that.... janky feel to it? Not sure how to describe that gameplay, but it never felt fluid to me.

Top Bottom