• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•05-07•16 - Harley & squad Puddin on the ritz, Nine Lives DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
You do realize you're getting irrationally angry over a fictional story yes?
Note to self

Never use hyperbolic figure of speech on the internet ever again

I don't actually want to murder anybody nor do I feel like the movie did the equivalent of banging my girlfriend. I just find the movie's editing/soundtrack really really really bad.

People are going to see the movie regardless of reviews. No one cares what a critic thinks about super hero movies. The movie isn't the greatest but it has some fun parts. Absolutely worth watching.

Hm, I think the general audience feels some way about critics and Rotten Tomatoes. Best example is Batman v. Superman's OW which dropped substantially from initial predictions due to the Sunday dive. I'd guess the 34% rating or whatever it had at the time factored into this.

Hm, I think the general audience feels some way about critics and Rotten Tomatoes. Best example is Batman v. Superman's OW which dropped substantially from initial predictions due to the Sunday dive. I'd guess the 34% rating or whatever it had at the time factored into this.

The difference is that the critic/rotten tomatoes reviews translated over into the general consciousness in a way that did not happen with SS. BVS had become meme status before it even came out. It wasn't neccesarily directly from reviews, but more from what those reviews did to the public perception of the movie.

People had a lot more riding on BvS so the reviews definitely mattered more than Squad's

WB turning it into a more 'fun' movie probably made it a worse movie, but it seems like it heavily improved the audience reaction to it

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
People don't seem to realise that the reason bvs didn't do a billion was because it was boring and difficult to understand for the younger audiences. No child is going to beg their parents to take them again to see bvs.
Critic reception has little impact.

Suicide squad isnt boring, or overtly long and doesn't take it itself as seriously as bvs. Teenagers are going to watch this a few times.

Squad also did something very interesting, which is skew heavily A: young and B: female

Just for that sake alone it's a success tapping into that demo. I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen a new one locked in already.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
This did movie offend you or something. What kind of talk is that? You know what, I hope it continues.

Why wish for bad things to succeed? It will only lead to more bad things being made because people settled.

I imagine that that is the thought process.

kswiston

You guys are letting yourselves be taken in by summer weekdays again. I don't think that Suicide Squad is destined for a BvS level 70% drop, but Deadpool was a February film. Its second Friday increased over 100% from its Thursday gross. Summer films don't do that. They have stronger weekdays in proportion to their weekends.

Suicide Squad has had comparable weekday percentage changes to Jason Bourne and Star Trek Beyond over the past two weeks. It had a stronger Monday, but some of its other drops were steeper.

Suicide Squad's first Thursday was 27% of its first Sunday.
Jason Bourne's first Thursday was 25% of its first Sunday.
Star Trek Beyond's first Thursday was 26% of its first Sunday.

If Suicide Squad had the same weekend increases as Jason Bourne, its second weekend would be $46.7M

If Suicide Squad had the same weekend increases as Star Trek Beyond, its second weekend would be $47.2M

Even if you bump that up a bit, we're almost certainly going to see a high 40s/low 50s second weekend.

Deadpool made $56.5M in its second weekend.

Squad also did something very interesting, which is skew heavily A: young and B: female

Just for that sake alone it's a success tapping into that demo. I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen a new one locked in already.

Audiences skewing young doesn't really lend to good legs though. Usually movies that skew older have the better legs. Teens and young adults with fewer obligations rush out to see movies. Older people with families wait until they can find a babysitter and they can have a theater with fewer obnoxious youths.

And I don't know if the audience being more or less female males a difference either, but the Twilight series having some of the worst legs of all time could be an indicator. Or maybe not. Zack Snyder films, which heavily skew male, also have some of the worst legs of all time. Who knows.

kswiston

Deadline Weekend Estimates:

Suicide Squad - $44M (-67%)
Sausage Party - $30-32M
Pete's Dragon - $21M

http://deadline.com/2016/08/weekend-box-office-suicide-squad-sausage-party-petes-dragon-1201802677/

There needs to be an asterix on these since they are early estimates using Deadline math.

Their early Friday numbers are ~$13M for Sausage Party and Suicide Squad, $7.5M for Pete's Dragon, and $2.5M for Florence Foster Jenkins.

$13M and change for Suicide Squad is between the numbers you would get using Star Trek and Jason Bourne's increases. As I said above, the weekend total following those two paths would be $46-47M

Pete's Dragon seems quite low. No one cares.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
There needs to be an asterix on these since they are early estimates using Deadline math.

Added early in the deadline header.

It seems like a respectable estimate to be honest given the terrible holdovers live-action films have had this summer (Bourne, Star Trek)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
65% drop for SS seems like a good thing to me considering the weekdays were pretty good. That's a win for WB.
ehh3.png

With its budget, it'll probably still be profitable for them even if it gets below $150 million WW.
That would require it to get atleast 50+ million domestic and 100+ from the rest of the market, which I doubt it.

The BFG is much more well known (and had Spielberg) than Pete's whatever and yet barely reached 74 million and it is currently below 130 million WW.

They might make back their money but obviously they wanted a good result or a surprise hit.

Schlorgan

That would require it to get atleast 50+ million domestic and 100+ from the rest of the market, which I doubt it.

The BFG is much more well known (and had Spielberg) than Pete's whatever and yet barely reached 74 million and it is currently below 130 million WW.

They might make back their money but obviously they wanted a good result or a surprise hit.

Pete's Dragon also had about half of the budget of The BGF ($65 million vs $140 million) so even BFG numbers wouldn't make it a bomb.

kswiston

It's also mid August. Nothing of much significance is coming out for the next three weeks after this. Especially for families. Most films will have good legs.

Goodstyle

Pete's Dragon is probably selling poorly because the story looks like something that was told a million times before. How many variations of King Kong are we gonna get Hollywood? Seriously. I've seen so many cartoon episodes as a kid watching child/woman befriend misunderstood "dangerous" thing, with everyone eventually trying to kill it. Enough is enough, Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom