• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•05-07•16 - Harley & squad Puddin on the ritz, Nine Lives DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Most kids are still on break

150803153924-school-start-map-9-large-169.jpg

Not really a surprise for anyone here but I've seen enough "no the film is doing all right sexists gonna be proven wrong" on twitter to know denial was still strong on GB16's box office performance.

The main form of denial I've seen of late has actually been the notion that box office had nothing to do with the casting and that Sony simply overestimated interest in the IP.

gamz

Gitesh Pandya ‏@GiteshPandya 1m1 minute ago

$14.3M TUE for #SuicideSquad, up good 9% from MON. Better than AUG hits Guardians (+2%) & BourneUltimatum (-18%). Plus it faces #Olympics.

kswiston

Gitesh Pandya ‏@GiteshPandya 1m1 minute ago

$14.3M TUE for #SuicideSquad, up good 9% from MON. Better than AUG hits Guardians (+2%) & BourneUltimatum (-18%). Plus it faces #Olympics.

Tuesday bumps have been way stronger this year than in previous years, so I am not sure those are good comparisons either. He throws up Bourne Ultimatum from 8 years ago, but Jason Bourne was up 9% as well last Tuesday.

Busty

Banned
I am not surprised in the slightest by this Ghostbusters related news. While all the live action summer offerings seem to be soft (Bourne, Beyond etc) this year it was GB's pitiful International gross is what killed any chances of not just a sequel to Feig's GB but the proposed GB cineverse as a whole.

Ya, I dont see any reason why Sony should proceed with a Ghostbusters sequel. You are probably more likely to get a sequel to Tarzan at this point.

Too soon.

..., though interestingly during the recent Time Warner investor call one of the corporation's brass was talking about Tarzan's performance announcing that the film had made over $300m at the global box office. And while they had expected better the film's soft box office won't impact the company's profits.

So in other words it lost money..., but not that much money.

I imagine that's something Paramount can only dream of at this point.

kswiston

So in other words it lost money..., but not that much money.

I imagine that's something Paramount can only dream of at this point.

It looks like Tarzan will end in the $350M range. Given the differences in domestic and Chinese gross (and studio profit sharing in each), it probably made comparable money to Pacific Rim.

kswiston

Wednesday is going to be more important for Suicide Squad. Ideally, it will be around $10M.

$300M isnt dead yet at least.

3N16MA

Banned
Tuesday bumps have been way stronger this year than in previous years, so I am not sure those are good comparisons either. He throws up Bourne Ultimatum from 8 years ago, but Jason Bourne was up 9% as well last Tuesday.

If I'm exec at WB I'm taking it as a positive. No sign of tanking is better than bad drops.

There truly isn't a building he can't climb.

Rope guy > Spiderman.

CLIMBIN THE BOX OFFICE

Ya. But it's comparable to Bourne and Trek from the past two weeks. I think that WB will take similar mediocre legs to those films after BvS and the alarming Saturday drop.

As dumb as it sounds, I think WB knows exactly what people want from Squad now and will make an effort to hit that in the sequel

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I just saw Suicide Squad last night

I want to fucking murder everyone involved in the post production process.

this_guy

All this school talk reminds me back in the day when there was talk of year round school. Glad that never happened. (instead of one long summer break there would be like a month off every few months).

kswiston

Short version: make a good film. Something they haven't done in years.

I dont think they set out to make bad films. No one over there in the DC films department knows what to do. Maybe that will change with the restructuring.

Didn't they turn that into a TV show that failed as well?

Ya. My brother worked on that show for a day or two last year. I think every show he worked on got cancelled other than Reign. He also worked on Suicide Squad for a few days, so I just blame him.

I dont think they set out to make bad films. No one over there in the DC films department knows what to do. Maybe that will change with the restructuring.

Ya. My brother worked on that show for a day or two last year. I think every show he worked on got cancelled other than Reign. He also worked on Suicide Squad for a few days, so I just blame him.
Oh, I know nobody sets out to make a bad film. It just saddens me that no one at WB/DC seems to know what to do now. I really hope things turn around with the restructuring. It is obvious the audience is there for the films.

And as for your brother getting shows cancelled, my brother and his wife are kind of similar. They have worked on lots of shows, but the ones with the nicest cast and crew and most relaxed and fun sets to work on seem to get canned, while the ones that are miserable experiences seem to flourish.

kswiston

Paramount has about $150M to go before they top their terrible 2015 domestic performance (just over $670M for the year).

They have the following releases left in the year:

Silence (2016) - 2016
Florence Foster Jenkins - 8/12/16
Ben-Hur (2016) - 8/19/16
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - 10/21/16
Rings - 10/28/16
Arrival - 11/11/16
Allied - 11/23/16
Office Christmas Party - 12/9/16
Fences - 12/16/16

Silence (Scorsese's film about Jesuit priests in Japan a few centuries back) is probably one of those 2 theatres in December, wide release in January films, but I think there is enough there to get them past last year's total.

WB probably passed Fox today or yesterday to take second place in 2016 domestic box office market share. Both Studios are over $900M behind Disney still (and won't be catching up).

It's actually kind of hard to call second place this year. Universal is currently behind, but they may have a strong end of year. Here are the line ups:

Fox:
Morgan - 9/2/16
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - 9/30/16
Keeping Up with the Joneses - 10/21/16
Trolls - 11/4/16
Rules Don't Apply - 11/23/16
Assassin's Creed - 12/21/16
Why Him? - 12/25/16

Warner Bros
War Dogs - 8/19/16
Sully - 9/9/16
Storks - 9/23/16
The Accountant - 10/14/16
Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them - 11/18/16
Collateral Beauty - 12/16/16
(plus $130-150M from Suicide Squad after Tuesday's total)

Universal
The Best Man Wedding - 2016 (maybe)
Bridget Jones's Baby - 9/16/16
The Girl on the Train - 10/7/16
Kevin Hart: What Now? - 10/14/16
Ouija: Origin of Evil - 10/21/16
Almost Christmas - 11/11/16
Sing - 12/21/16
(plus some remaining money from Bourne and SLOP)

Fantastic Beasts and Sing will probably be the two biggest films on those lists, but Sing only has 10 days this calendar year. Pets managed to make $200M in that time frame, and the holiday season can be crazy, so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom